> Repainting for New Home, Advice needed for new home

views

ceo684
post Jan 19 2018, 09:36 PM

Component Burner
All Stars
11,545 posts

QUOTE(topearn @ Jan 19 2018, 09:26 PM)
2 contractors come gave quotation for paint job. I say will apply 1 primer n then 2 coats for indoor walls. But the other says 1 primer and 1 coat is enuf. Which is better 1 or 2 coats ?
Depends on your intended usage. bruce.gif

To dispose the property, or for rental, 1/1 enough if the existing old base paint is alright.

For sanded wall (down to bare skimcoat) or long term own stay, 1/2 will give the colour more 'pop' or for white, visually more even. Primer (sealer) just to seal the pores so that the wall doesn't suck in all the paint.
lowlowc
post Jan 19 2018, 10:10 PM

Enthusiast
918 posts

QUOTE(bobowyc @ Jan 14 2018, 11:00 PM)
Haha. You mean by the smell? hahah!
Yeah, just leave it in the pail of water tongue.gif hahaha. If its a week better u wash them thoroughly. Are you sure they are water based and not oil based? Are you painting your wall or what..? lol
Yup, very sure they're water based paint. Thanks for the tips. I will wash them and the night before use, soften them with some water, so they will be a bit damp.
bobowyc
post Jan 20 2018, 11:54 AM

You are who you are.
1,888 posts

QUOTE(lowlowc @ Jan 19 2018, 10:10 PM)
Yup, very sure they're water based paint. Thanks for the tips. I will wash them and the night before use, soften them with some water, so they will be a bit damp.
Wash and dry them. Make sure you wash thoroughly. If not no difference also. Will harden.
meme00
post Jan 22 2018, 03:53 AM

Getting Started
193 posts

Hi all,

Is Dulux Easy Clean good enough for the ceiling and wall?
SUSadvocado
post Jan 22 2018, 08:15 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(ceo684 @ Jan 19 2018, 09:36 PM)
Depends on your intended usage.  bruce.gif

To dispose the property, or for rental, 1/1 enough if the existing old base paint is alright.

For sanded wall (down to bare skimcoat) or long term own stay, 1/2 will give the colour more 'pop' or for white, visually more even. Primer (sealer) just to seal the pores so that the wall doesn't suck in all the paint.
to repaint over relatively new painted walls, do we need to sand the paint until skim (a.k.a remove existing paint)? can we clean the wall with warm watered cloth let it dry then paint on on paint without primer?

also if there's defect in the old paint (bubble/chip/crack), how to deal with them before applying new paint?
ceo684
post Jan 22 2018, 04:05 PM

Component Burner
All Stars
11,545 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Jan 22 2018, 08:15 AM)
to repaint over relatively new painted walls, do we need to sand the paint until skim (a.k.a remove existing paint)? can we clean the wall with warm watered cloth let it dry then paint on on paint without primer?

also if there's defect in the old paint (bubble/chip/crack), how to deal with them before applying new paint?
Since your existing paint is new, presume it is still sticking well and not coming off the instant the roller goes on it, should be safe to paint over just like that. For spot removal just use a scraper to scrape off the offending area and a little of the surroundings. You can try to smoothen the edges with sandpaper if desired.
SUSadvocado
post Jan 23 2018, 07:59 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(ceo684 @ Jan 22 2018, 04:05 PM)
Since your existing paint is new, presume it is still sticking well and not coming off the instant the roller goes on it, should be safe to paint over just like that. For spot removal just use a scraper to scrape off the offending area and a little of the surroundings. You can try to smoothen the edges with sandpaper if desired.
for the scraped area, the edges will be loose to the wall, if i remove those then the new edges will have same issue so how do i fix the edges of scraped area? can i use super glue so the edges stick back to the wall?

and do i skim the scraped area so they even out with the rest of the area? will the skim come off easily?
bbhing98
post Jan 23 2018, 08:18 AM

Getting Started
268 posts

Hi all, sorry for hijacking this thread. First of all, I'm planning to paint my plaster ceiling on the first floor which has a bad water mark black spot due to water leakage at the pump previously. The plaster ceiling has a small 2cm hole now because water was dripping onto the same spot for a few days before we realize the severity. Can any sifu please suggest what paint/primer or any patching tool to patch the hole before I paint on it? I'm currently using a masking tape to cover the hole for now.
alan8311
post Feb 13 2018, 02:26 PM

24 posts

hi all, my new house need to paint soon, just want to ask the simplest way to fix hairline crack on wall. thanks in advance.
Kaka23
post Mar 21 2020, 01:50 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,251 posts

Hi.. would want to know if using Matex white paint, we still need to add water or thinner when we want to use it?

3 Pages < 1 2 3Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0117sec    0.37    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:32 PM