Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Repainting for New Home, Advice needed for new home

views

SUSadvocado
post Jan 6 2018, 11:28 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(bobowyc @ Dec 27 2017, 08:09 PM)
Wow. I read painters tape. Where you get it bro? I've been looking for it for so frigging long, even google searched.

To TS, its really subjective. I'd suggest going for ICI/Dulux, as I've always used them for my client's house. And so far for the price I pay its worth it. Sealant depends, I use Nippon Wall Sealer to coat exterior walls. Interior also can use the paint as described on the paint pail. Other brands like Nippon and Jotun should be ok, but the rest, use at your own risk la.. tongue.gif HAHAHA. For ceiling I usually go with Maxilite. Its more than enough. But only for ceiling. Maxilite is not suitable for wall. Maxilite White that is. lol.
i bought the tape already. got 2 narrow & wide, 60yard for wide around rm50. there's also another expensive version for metal & wood cost x2.

ironically ACE hardware has the lowest price compare to online. But their 3M electrical tape was selling for rm40 when online selling rm25...
bobowyc
post Jan 11 2018, 11:26 AM

You are who you are.
1,888 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Jan 6 2018, 11:28 AM)
i bought the tape already. got 2 narrow & wide, 60yard for wide around rm50. there's also another expensive version for metal & wood cost x2.

ironically ACE hardware has the lowest price compare to online. But their 3M electrical tape was selling for rm40 when online selling rm25...
Oh. Wow. Nice. Thanks for the info bro. I don't need it at the moment. If I do I'll go and check ace hardware. Haha. Got a few locations near my place. Lol. How is it? Any review? Haha. I might be customizing a desktop soon, so i might get the tape. Haha.
counterspider
post Jan 11 2018, 12:26 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

Can use normal masking tape enough....Can buy from any stationary shop,cheap....I used it for painting my house.....Can paint nice,smooth and straight line for wall decor.....Just need some techniques...

QUOTE(advocado @ Jan 6 2018, 11:28 AM)

SUSadvocado
post Jan 12 2018, 09:04 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(bobowyc @ Jan 11 2018, 11:26 AM)
Oh. Wow. Nice. Thanks for the info bro. I don't need it at the moment. If I do I'll go and check ace hardware. Haha. Got a few locations near my place. Lol. How is it? Any review? Haha. I might be customizing a desktop soon, so i might get the tape. Haha.
haven't used it, but tried it wasn't very sticky. so should be easy to remove. whether it's too loose i'm not sure but you won't worry about peeling paints off.

for smaller stuff like casing actually you can just use A4 paper and tape the edges with normal transparent tapes won't leave much residue anyway.
SUSadvocado
post Jan 12 2018, 09:05 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(counterspider @ Jan 11 2018, 12:26 PM)
Can use normal masking tape enough....Can buy from any stationary shop,cheap....I used it for painting my house.....Can paint nice,smooth and straight line for wall decor.....Just need some techniques...
normal masking tape will either leave sticky residue or rip off part of the paint.

i used tamiya masking tape designed not to tear off paint but it still does on some spot.
The_Rock
post Jan 12 2018, 09:07 AM

Casual
447 posts

QUOTE(weiren @ Dec 25 2017, 08:20 PM)
Hi Sifus,

Just received my new home.
Our developer used Nippon Matex Pro White 9102 as top coat for all the white walls of living room and bed rooms.
Based on web research, that paint is actually top coat for ceilings only.
Moreover, visually I can see that the paint thickness is not really adequate.
Definitely i'll need to repaint the interior.

Questions come in:
i) Do i need to apply sealants before applying new top coat, or merely cleaning the surface beforehand will do?
ii) What factors to be considered during picking the new top coat, to ensure the best adherence and final result?
iii) Is it doable by ownselves or better to hire contractors to repaint the interior?

Thanks all.
Hire bangla. Cheaper labor to paint.

This post has been edited by The_Rock: Jan 12 2018, 09:08 AM
counterspider
post Jan 12 2018, 10:25 AM

Getting Started
76 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Jan 12 2018, 09:05 AM)
normal masking tape will either leave sticky residue or rip off part of the paint.

i used tamiya masking tape designed not to tear off paint but it still does on some spot.

It might rip off minor paint but no big issue. Can touch up. It didn't leave residue for my case. You gonna tear off the masking tape right after the paint is dry to touch. Cheap alternative for me.
bobowyc
post Jan 12 2018, 01:27 PM

You are who you are.
1,888 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Jan 12 2018, 09:04 AM)
haven't used it, but tried it wasn't very sticky. so should be easy to remove. whether it's too loose i'm not sure but you won't worry about peeling paints off.

for smaller stuff like casing actually you can just use A4 paper and tape the edges with normal transparent tapes won't leave much residue anyway.
I did used newspaper and masking tape previously. Haha. The case is 95% done now. Going to mod another one. Hahaha. Will have water cool too. Hmm. Probably for my work also as we do frequent painting. Haha.
bobowyc
post Jan 12 2018, 01:27 PM

You are who you are.
1,888 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Jan 12 2018, 09:04 AM)

I did used newspaper and masking tape previously. Haha. The case is 95% done now. Going to mod another one. Hahaha. Will have water cool too. Hmm. Probably for my work also as we do frequent painting. Haha.
lowlowc
post Jan 12 2018, 03:39 PM

Enthusiast
918 posts

QUOTE(bobowyc @ Dec 27 2017, 10:32 PM)
No. I would recommend not to add thinner/water even though they recommend a 5% percentage to dilute it. We usually use the whole pail without diluting it. If the paint it water base, you have to add water, cannot add thinner. If its oil based, you have to add thinner/turpentine.

hi bobowyc, since you mentioned thinner, can I use thinner to wash the tool, roller and brush that I used for water-based paint? Then use them to paint water-based paint again? Will any thinner gets into my paint that way?
I paint on weekends, so every Sunday night need to wash them, then start painting again on next weekend. I tried using soap and water but the roller/brush still become hard and dry. If I use them, they 'drink up' my paint like crazy. blink.gif

This post has been edited by lowlowc: Jan 12 2018, 03:41 PM
lowlowc
post Jan 12 2018, 03:47 PM

Enthusiast
918 posts

QUOTE(counterspider @ Jan 11 2018, 12:26 PM)
I use normal masking tape too. I have always thought they're the same biggrin.gif
To avoid ripping the paint, take them off right after finish painting when it's starting to dry. On area with thickened paint, I use blade to gently cut a line at the border, so when remove the tape, it won't pull the wall paint.
bobowyc
post Jan 12 2018, 07:40 PM

You are who you are.
1,888 posts

QUOTE(lowlowc @ Jan 12 2018, 03:39 PM)
hi bobowyc, since you mentioned thinner, can I use thinner to wash the tool, roller and brush that I used for water-based paint? Then use them to paint water-based paint again? Will any thinner gets into my paint that way?
I paint on weekends, so every Sunday night need to wash them, then start painting again on next weekend. I tried using soap and water but the roller/brush still become hard and dry. If I use them, they 'drink up' my paint like crazy. blink.gif

I use normal masking tape too. I have always thought they're the same  biggrin.gif
To avoid ripping the paint, take them off right after finish painting when it's starting to dry. On area with thickened paint, I use blade to gently cut a line at the border, so when remove the tape, it won't pull the wall paint.
Hi bro. No, thinner is meant for oil based paints. Water based paints u can just actually dip in a container of water. But remember to wash them. Since you only paint on sundays better just wash them. How long more before it is completed? If stilllong you can just dip in clear water. Just use plain water. Dont need with soap. haha..

Haha, yeah, did that last time, ended up touching back some paints which peeled off. Better get the painters tape. Its designed specifically for this reason. And why our local contractors (especially old skool ones) dont change their ways. Its easy if its your own house, we normally paint our client's house so we have deadlines bro. hahaa.. Cant afford going round the house cutting door frames with blades. lolol.
SUSadvocado
post Jan 13 2018, 09:05 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(bobowyc @ Jan 12 2018, 07:40 PM)
Hi bro. No, thinner is meant for oil based paints. Water based paints u can just actually dip in a container of water. But remember to wash them. Since you only paint on sundays better just wash them. How long more before it is completed? If stilllong you can just dip in clear water. Just use plain water. Dont need with soap. haha..

Haha, yeah, did that last time, ended up touching back some paints which peeled off. Better get the painters tape. Its designed specifically for this reason. And why our local contractors (especially old skool ones) dont change their ways. Its easy if its your own house, we normally paint our client's house so we have deadlines bro. hahaa.. Cant afford going round the house cutting door frames with blades. lolol.
i use acrylic hobby paints and i always thin them using hobby paint thinners, because it's very difficult to thin them using water and with water the paint takes longer time to dry. the effect using paint thinner is better and more even.

those thinner in hardware shop may be too strong and will damage the paint, but some hardware shop like Ace sells thinner for thinning paint, comes in metal containers. you can tell the hardware shop thinner is too strong when you open up the cap.
ceo684
post Jan 13 2018, 11:12 AM

Component Burner
All Stars
11,545 posts

Since its a new place, wondering if we need to strip off the developer stock standard paint before you put on good paint? As the developer might be using some cikai quality paint? Or should be OK one?
SheepGeeks
post Jan 13 2018, 11:37 AM

On my way
628 posts

QUOTE(ceo684 @ Jan 13 2018, 11:12 AM)
Since its a new place, wondering if we need to strip off the developer stock standard paint before you put on good paint? As the developer might be using some cikai quality paint? Or should be OK one?
Just cover the existing paint, it won't affect anything. Since they only paint for 1 layer.
lowlowc
post Jan 14 2018, 02:27 PM

Enthusiast
918 posts

QUOTE(bobowyc @ Jan 12 2018, 07:40 PM)

Hi, do you mean continuous dipping them in clean water. Ok if i use the damp rollers and brush with paint later? I have to go outstation this week so had to skip painting this week. I need at least another 2 weekend to finish. I ve wash the tools and hang there to dry. Now already hardened.
bobowyc
post Jan 14 2018, 11:00 PM

You are who you are.
1,888 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Jan 13 2018, 09:05 AM)
i use acrylic hobby paints and i always thin them using hobby paint thinners, because it's very difficult to thin them using water and with water the paint takes longer time to dry. the effect using paint thinner is better and more even.

those thinner in hardware shop may be too strong and will damage the paint, but some hardware shop like Ace sells thinner for thinning paint, comes in metal containers. you can tell the hardware shop thinner is too strong when you open up the cap.
Haha. You mean by the smell? hahah!

QUOTE(lowlowc @ Jan 14 2018, 02:27 PM)
Hi, do you mean continuous dipping them in clean water. Ok if i use the damp rollers and brush with paint later? I have to go outstation this week so had to skip painting this week. I need at least another 2 weekend to finish. I ve wash the tools and hang there to dry. Now already hardened.
Yeah, just leave it in the pail of water tongue.gif hahaha. If its a week better u wash them thoroughly. Are you sure they are water based and not oil based? Are you painting your wall or what..? lol
SUSadvocado
post Jan 15 2018, 12:45 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(ceo684 @ Jan 13 2018, 11:12 AM)
you need to check the wall & paint 1st. make sure no uneven surface or bubbling. uneven surface should be sanded so it's even with the rest.

bubbling means the paint already came off from the inside, needs to be carefully removed, try using a hammer and hit the bubble lightly so it crack and peel them off. the edges will be partially off but you can use super glue around the edges of the hole just to ensure the existing paint sticks onto the wall.

if you don't deal with the bubble before paint, 2 things will happen:

1.The bubble will still show after the new paint.

2.The area where bubble is, if you apply force onto it, the area will cave in or crack. because the new paint sticks onto the old paint, the old paint sticks onto the wall, bubble means old paint is not sticking onto wall meaning new paint is also not sticking on wall.

must do close inspection. higher areas is harder to spot the defects.

also some walls may have holes, need to fill up the hole sand it even before painting. most workers won't do this for you.
SUSadvocado
post Jan 15 2018, 12:49 AM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(bobowyc @ Jan 14 2018, 11:00 PM)
Haha. You mean by the smell? hahah!
Yeah, just leave it in the pail of water tongue.gif hahaha. If its a week better u wash them thoroughly. Are you sure they are water based and not oil based? Are you painting your wall or what..? lol
i'm not sure water based paint is 100% factory thinned using water, or they added some thinning agents. if they contain thinning agents, when the thinning agent dries up, the water alone won't be able to clean the brush.

i used hobby paint, so there are some acrylic that is actually a hybrid of acrylic and lacquer, where they can be thinned using water, but also compatible with hobby paint thinners. when you open the cap of a bottle sitting for too long, you will see the paint gather at bottom, the upper half is transparent liquid that is more like thinner than water (thicker fluid).
topearn
post Jan 19 2018, 09:26 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,459 posts

2 contractors come gave quotation for paint job. I say will apply 1 primer n then 2 coats for indoor walls. But the other says 1 primer and 1 coat is enuf. Which is better 1 or 2 coats ?

3 Pages < 1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0167sec    0.28    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:53 PM