Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Unifi Installation Problem, Fiber Optic Cable for new home

thailover
post Dec 18 2017, 10:01 PM, updated 9 months ago

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

This morning Unifi came to my place for installation. But they say my cable is not compatible with their connectors, and I will need to get a fiber optic contractor to do the termination.

So guys, please be aware of this.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Pucca&Garu
post Dec 18 2017, 10:10 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(thailover @ Dec 18 2017, 10:01 PM)
This morning Unifi came to my place for installation. But they say my cable is not compatible with their connectors, and I will need to get a fiber optic contractor to do the termination.

TM now using single core fibre optic. I just wonder why TM contractor not doing the termination?
thailover
post Dec 18 2017, 10:20 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Pucca&Garu @ Dec 18 2017, 10:10 PM)
TM now using single core fibre optic. I just wonder why TM contractor not doing the termination?
They are TM WIRING SUBCON. They tried to "goreng" me to install new cable. They said don't have the fiber optic machine.

Ring me at 11:45am and insist to come at 1:30pm. Otherwise they will cancel the order and i will have to re-apply. It was really a short notice. I was doing something in Cheras but got to rush back to Puchong.

I kena before back in 2008 when i do installation for my old house. They charged me RM 750 for cabling.

weikee
post Dec 18 2017, 11:28 PM

10k Club
Group: Senior Member

This image you took is outdoor cable right? The indoor are white (or was it light yellow) color. And should be free.

I had mine ready with conceal conduit with cable puller inside conduit, they just come over and connect to the cable puller and drag into my router area.

Unless your very long, if within the standard length is free.
thailover
post Dec 18 2017, 11:32 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(weikee @ Dec 18 2017, 11:28 PM)
This image you took is outdoor cable right? The indoor are white (or was it light yellow) color. And should be free.

I had mine ready with conceal conduit with cable puller inside conduit, they just come over and connect to the cable puller  and drag into my router area. 

Unless your very long, if within the standard length is free.
I bought the cable from a local electrical shop. My place is not easy to re-do the wiring.
weikee
post Dec 19 2017, 07:25 AM

10k Club

You have to get cable according to the required specification, fiber cable have many spec.
thailover
post Dec 23 2017, 10:26 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(weikee @ Dec 19 2017, 07:25 AM)
You have to get cable according to the required specification, fiber cable have many spec.
The cable is correct. This morning i got a contractor to do the splicing already. Everything is ready and TM installer will be coming to do the setting on tuesday
Lov3Ly
post Dec 23 2017, 10:45 PM

QUOTE(thailover @ Dec 23 2017, 10:26 PM)
The cable is correct. This morning i got a contractor to do the splicing already. Everything is ready and TM installer will be coming to do the setting on tuesday
Hi, if you don't mind can i ask for the contractor contact.. also how much you paid for the service?
thailover
post Dec 23 2017, 11:38 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Lov3Ly @ Dec 23 2017, 10:45 PM)
Hi, if you don't mind can i ask for the contractor contact.. also how much you paid for the service?
sure
Lov3Ly
post Dec 31 2017, 04:29 AM

QUOTE(thailover @ Dec 23 2017, 11:38 PM)
sure
Hi, can you share the contact? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

th3game
post Dec 31 2017, 09:33 PM

Getting Started

I dont understand of why this SC-P connection type is not compatible with TM connectors?? seems like correct connection to me.
thailover
post Dec 31 2017, 10:35 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(th3game @ Dec 31 2017, 09:33 PM)
I dont understand of why this SC-P connection type is not compatible with TM connectors?? seems like correct connection to me.
That means i have to get a contractor to do the splicing before Unifi people can do anything.
th3game
post Dec 31 2017, 10:47 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(thailover @ Dec 31 2017, 10:35 PM)
That means i have to get a contractor to do the splicing before Unifi people can do anything.
have you compared the end connector done by those contractor and the old one that didnt compatible with TM connectors?
thailover
post Jan 1 2018, 09:51 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(th3game @ Dec 31 2017, 10:47 PM)
have you compared the end connector done by those contractor and the old one that didnt compatible with TM connectors?
Unifi people didnt do any connection. They just plugged in modem only
aaron1717
post Jan 2 2018, 11:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!

u installed the cable on your own contractor before you called for unifi installer to come?

i just installed my unifi ytdy... the installer done everything from A to Z... from the fiber optic cable, drilling to enter my house and setup everything nicely... from my house to the nearest telephone pole will need at least 80ft.... all cabling is free during installation...
thailover
post Jan 2 2018, 10:09 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(aaron1717 @ Jan 2 2018, 11:30 AM)
u installed the cable on your own contractor before you called for unifi installer to come?

i just installed my unifi ytdy... the installer done everything from A to Z... from the fiber optic cable, drilling to enter my house and setup everything nicely... from my house to the nearest telephone pole will need at least 80ft.... all cabling is free during installation...
Because my place is nicely renovated, so i got my wiring guy to conceal the fiber optic for me. This morning I managed to get my CCTV guy to help finding the root cause. Luckily they found the problem within 30 minutes. They are really awesome.

Actually the problem was caused by IP conflict. I forgot to save the setting of my both switches. So they all had the same IP address which was 192.168.0.1

Here are the steps they troubleshoot for me.

Step 1: Unplug the Cat6 cable from Switch to Router
Step 2: Ping 192.168.0.1 The router is unplug, but we still able to get reply from 192.168.0.1 that means got device using that IP.
Step 3: Open an internet browser and enter 192.168.0.1, the switch's setting page appear

So we confirm that the swtich is using the same ip as router.

Thumbs up for eeson of ee automation.

Now the problem is solved. rclxms.gif

advocado
post Jan 2 2018, 10:49 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(thailover @ Jan 2 2018, 10:09 PM)
Because my place is nicely renovated, so i got my wiring guy to conceal the fiber optic for me. This morning I managed to get my CCTV guy to help finding the root cause. Luckily they found the problem within 30 minutes. They are really awesome.

Actually the problem was caused by IP conflict. I forgot to save the setting of my both switches. So they all had the same IP address which was 192.168.0.1

Here are the steps they troubleshoot for me.

Step 1: Unplug the Cat6 cable from Switch to Router
Step 2: Ping 192.168.0.1 The router is unplug, but we still able to get reply from 192.168.0.1 that means got device using that IP.
Step 3: Open an internet browser and enter 192.168.0.1, the switch's setting page appear

So we confirm that the swtich is using the same ip as router.

Thumbs up for eeson of ee automation.

Now the problem is solved.  rclxms.gif
not quite get it.

1st you say TM claims your cable is not compatible.

then your contractor comes and redid the connector using existing cable

next you found the problem was due to conflicting IP? i think i'm missing a post or 2 here.

so in the end the cable & connector was correct but TM claims it's not just because IP conflict?
thailover
post Jan 3 2018, 02:01 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(advocado @ Jan 2 2018, 10:49 PM)
not quite get it.

1st you say TM claims your cable is not compatible.

then your contractor comes and redid the connector using existing cable

next you found the problem was due to conflicting IP? i think i'm missing a post or 2 here.

so in the end the cable & connector was correct but TM claims it's not just because IP conflict?
Exactly
weikee
post Jan 3 2018, 02:08 PM

10k Club

I also renovate my house, with all conceal. And Unifi also did the fiber cabling for me without any charges.

All I have to do just put empty conceal tube in the wall, put in cable puller, unifi contractor just tap the cable puller, and pull the fiber into the area i wanted it terminate.
thailover
post Jan 4 2018, 12:05 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(weikee @ Jan 3 2018, 02:08 PM)
I also renovate my house, with all conceal. And Unifi also did the fiber cabling for me without any charges.

All I have to do just put empty conceal tube in the wall, put in cable puller, unifi contractor just tap the cable puller, and pull the fiber into the area i wanted it terminate.
Nice

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0849sec    4.12    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 26th September 2018 - 07:25 AM