Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Fender bender repair recommendations needed.

views

TSvoncrane
post Dec 12 2017, 09:38 AM, updated 2y ago

Noir et fier!
Group: Senior Member

Issue resolved.. Thanks all..

This post has been edited by voncrane: Jun 29 2018, 11:55 PM
Ginny88
post Dec 12 2017, 09:44 AM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

I think you need another repair man. This sort of dent can be banged out and resprayed much cheaper than replacing the bonnet and it will look as good as new.
kidmad
post Dec 12 2017, 09:46 AM

Look at all my stars!!

sure bo.. sounds like a scam..

BTW, reach out to https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1817798

I've been visiting their shop every time i had a minor knock.. reasonable and good quality. paint did not fade off after 4 years.. that's most important.
TSvoncrane
post Dec 12 2017, 09:55 AM

Noir et fier!

QUOTE(Ginny88 @ Dec 12 2017, 09:44 AM)
I think you need another repair man. This sort of dent can be banged out and resprayed much cheaper than replacing the bonnet and it will look as good as new.
IKR. That's what I thought too... but he kept insisting that it'll look less than 80% new.. There will be signs, etc.. Later if want to sell, cannot fetch good price, etc. After 8 years, I won't sweat a few thousands off the price as RV is already crap anyway.

QUOTE(kidmad @ Dec 12 2017, 09:46 AM)
sure bo.. sounds like a scam..

BTW, reach out to https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1817798

I've been visiting their shop every time i had a minor knock.. reasonable and good quality. paint did not fade off after 4 years.. that's most important.
Thanks... I'll contact this shop for a quote. Seems quite popular and has been around the forum for awhile. I like the part that even after fours years, the paint still looks good.
TSvoncrane
post Dec 12 2017, 11:36 AM

Noir et fier!

Still hoping for other recommendations, maybe around KL city center..

kidmad, Do you have the contact number for the spray shop? Pls PM me.. tq
Chrix
post Dec 12 2017, 11:41 AM

Getting Started

A quick search on mudah revealed several options;

https://www.mudah.my/Honda+civic+fd+front+b...ed-49915857.htm
https://www.mudah.my/Honda+civic+2009+fd+fr...et-60881541.htm
TSvoncrane
post Dec 12 2017, 11:56 AM

Noir et fier!

QUOTE(Chrix @ Dec 12 2017, 11:41 AM)
Thanks, I'm aware of these options.. Was hoping to not have to replace the whole bonnet just for that dent. So asking around for those who may have been in similar incidents before and how it looks after they got it banged out & sprayed back. Shops to get such done. notworthy.gif
Ginny88
post Dec 12 2017, 12:35 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(charlescheesepie @ Dec 12 2017, 12:31 PM)
why dont u recommend a repair man ? else dont post nonsense claims here.
Only an idiot like you will replace the whole bonnet just because of a dent. What has recommending a repair man to do with this? I feel like I'm replying to a retard.
TSvoncrane
post Dec 12 2017, 01:55 PM

Noir et fier!

Please calm down folks.. This is my first encounter with such and seeking opinions from those who have a better idea than I do (nil) on such matters. No need to exchange heated words. I've also searched on mudah and mainly all used ones with doubtful origins. Mine's confirmed ori and I can live with a 90% repair job. It's an old car and I don't intend to spend more than necessary to keep it, since gonna sell in a year or 2 anyway. Watched a few YouTube videos and seen worse dents banged back into shape. Granted the civic bonnet's quite soft. I was even surprised that a light touch could do that much damage. All opinions and recommendations welcomed.
Chrix
post Dec 12 2017, 02:08 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(voncrane @ Dec 12 2017, 11:56 AM)
Thanks, I'm aware of these options.. Was hoping to not have to replace the whole bonnet just for that dent. So asking around for those who may have been in similar incidents before and how it looks after they got it banged out & sprayed back. Shops to get such done.  notworthy.gif
Usually to spray 1 panel, is upwards of RM200 last time I checked. Additional for large dents like yours.

Factors to consider; quality of workmanship, quality of paint used, quality of clear coat used, paint matching to existing panels (in this case, bumper, both fenders, A pillars)

A OEM/factory bonnet from another owner who is selling is the more straightforward option, if you are able to source one with the same color (as your vehicle is OEM color, still)

TSvoncrane
post Dec 12 2017, 02:30 PM

Noir et fier!

QUOTE(Chrix @ Dec 12 2017, 02:08 PM)
Usually to spray 1 panel, is upwards of RM200 last time I checked. Additional for large dents like yours.

Factors to consider; quality of workmanship, quality of paint used, quality of clear coat used, paint matching to existing panels (in this case, bumper, both fenders, A pillars)

A OEM/factory bonnet from another owner who is selling is the more straightforward option, if you are able to source one with the same color (as your vehicle is OEM color, still)
Thanks, my repair guy is also helping source for another bonnet. Mentioning something about getting a Taiwan one.. hmm.gif Says hard to find exact matching and will need to repaint the new bonnet to match current paint. I've used him last year for little dings and scratches all round the car and he's done a great job. Just pricey I guess.. Got quoted at least RM500 to repaint and fix new bonnet alone. Says around <1K should be able to replace and paint another bonnet on.
xemoboyx
post Dec 12 2017, 02:46 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(voncrane @ Dec 12 2017, 02:30 PM)
Thanks, my repair guy is also helping source for another bonnet. Mentioning something about getting a Taiwan one..  hmm.gif Says hard to find exact matching and will need to repaint the new bonnet to match current paint. I've used him last year for little dings and scratches all round the car and he's done a great job. Just pricey I guess.. Got quoted at least RM500 to repaint and fix new bonnet alone. Says around <1K should be able to replace and paint another bonnet on.
Always opt for original part if u can,Taiwan OEM parts usually don't fit as perfectly as ori one..get the rm200 used bonet and repaint it. Should cost less than rm600 to repaint, if u want to know where. U can pm me..
6UE5T
post Dec 12 2017, 02:54 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Chrix @ Dec 12 2017, 11:41 AM)
QUOTE(voncrane @ Dec 12 2017, 11:56 AM)
Thanks, I'm aware of these options.. Was hoping to not have to replace the whole bonnet just for that dent. So asking around for those who may have been in similar incidents before and how it looks after they got it banged out & sprayed back. Shops to get such done.  notworthy.gif
If can get that used bonnet in good condition for only rm200 as advertised, I'd get that instead of repairing coz the total cost might not differ much yet you still get a perfectly good bonnet. Usually repair (knocking, cementing, sanding, and repainting) will cost you around rm300 for the bonnet size, depending on workshop, some can ask even more.

What your repair man said is not entirely wrong though. You can repair until almost looks as new from the outside BUT to a those sharp eyes who often buy used cars and inspect carefully, that repair can be detected (some quite easily) and therefore they'd consider your car as already got accident.

This post has been edited by 6UE5T: Dec 12 2017, 02:58 PM
lsm1991
post Dec 12 2017, 03:31 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Ginny88 @ Dec 12 2017, 09:44 AM)
voncrane
actually... the guy is right.... not recommended you bang that out... you can hammer it assuming its a single layer of metal BUT at that area, there actually the tulang underneath.... so yes this time the guy is right its very difficult to bang that out....

pop the hood open, look underneath you will understand what i mean.... if that was part of the chassis they would usually cut the surface hit the tukang back into shape and reweld it back OR weld pulling pins on the hood then pull and hit back into shape... both are expensive and not worth the effort (end of the day, its a damaged piece)

get a 1/2 cut replacement
TSvoncrane
post Dec 12 2017, 10:26 PM

Noir et fier!

QUOTE(xemoboyx @ Dec 12 2017, 02:46 PM)
Always opt for original part if u can,Taiwan OEM parts usually don't fit as perfectly as ori one..get the rm200 used bonet and repaint it. Should cost less than rm600 to repaint, if u want to know where. U can pm me..
Thanks for offering.. U got PM. smile.gif

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Dec 12 2017, 02:54 PM)
If can get that used bonnet in good condition for only rm200 as advertised, I'd get that instead of repairing coz the total cost might not differ much yet you still get a perfectly good bonnet. Usually repair (knocking, cementing, sanding, and repainting) will cost you around rm300 for the bonnet size, depending on workshop, some can ask even more.

What your repair man said is not entirely wrong though. You can repair until almost looks as new from the outside BUT to a those sharp eyes who often buy used cars and inspect carefully, that repair can be detected (some quite easily) and therefore they'd consider your car as already got accident.
I see, pretty much what my guy said.. Can be fixed but will be viewed as got accident. Even though, a minor one.. At around RM200 is a price I'm willing to live with. My major concern with getting a used one without knowing the history is that it too could have been involved in some accident and fixed and OR wasn't stored/maintained properly.. meaning it'll begin to show signs of damage shortly after. At least with mine, I know its Ori and never worked on before and I maintain the car paint, surface, interior. engine, etc religiously. Nevertheless, It's an option worth exploring. I'll go take a look at the used one and hopefully it's in decent condition. Any pointers to look out for?

QUOTE(lsm1991 @ Dec 12 2017, 03:31 PM)
voncrane
actually... the guy is right.... not recommended you bang that out... you can hammer it assuming its a single layer of metal BUT at that area, there actually the tulang underneath.... so yes this time the guy is right its very difficult to bang that out....

pop the hood open, look underneath you will understand what i mean.... if that was part of the chassis they would usually cut the surface hit the tukang back into shape and reweld it back OR weld pulling pins on the hood then pull and hit back into shape... both are expensive and not worth the effort (end of the day, its a damaged piece)

get a 1/2 cut replacement
I think I understand what you mean. If I recall correctly, it's like there are 2 parts to the bonnet, merged to meet as one and with space between. I'll check underneath properly come morning...
kidmad
post Dec 12 2017, 11:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(voncrane @ Dec 12 2017, 11:36 AM)
Still hoping for other recommendations, maybe around KL city center..

kidmad, Do you have the contact number for the spray shop? Pls PM me.. tq
+60128791010 - can't recall the boss name.. still have his whatsapp contact. just send him an image of your damage and he will give you a quote.
kidmad
post Dec 12 2017, 11:17 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(voncrane @ Dec 12 2017, 01:55 PM)
Please calm down folks.. This is my first encounter with such and seeking opinions from those who have a better idea than I do (nil) on such matters. No need to exchange heated words. I've also searched on mudah and mainly all used ones with doubtful origins. Mine's confirmed ori and I can live with a 90% repair job. It's an old car and I don't intend to spend more than necessary to keep it, since gonna sell in a year or 2 anyway. Watched a few YouTube videos and seen worse dents banged back into shape. Granted the civic bonnet's quite soft. I was even surprised that a light touch could do that much damage. All opinions and recommendations welcomed.
i'll ignore those asking you to change the whole bonnet. It's pretty much JUST a dent... nothing major.

Dent Repair Sdn. Bhd. <-- pretty famous in facebook try reaching out.. h is doing dent repair within knocking and repainting.. seen alot good feedbacks.
Avoid getting from chop shop.. imagine the chop shop car isn't actually using an original bonnet.. that's your worst nightmare.
Kilohertz
post Dec 13 2017, 09:27 AM

Regular

QUOTE(kidmad @ Dec 12 2017, 11:12 PM)
+60128791010 - can't recall the boss name.. still have his whatsapp contact. just send him an image of your damage and he will give you a quote.
Where this person based at? Is it around KL? I'm looking for someone to fix my car as well.. it's minor but oh well.
kidmad
post Dec 13 2017, 10:00 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Kilohertz @ Dec 13 2017, 09:27 AM)
Where this person based at? Is it around KL? I'm looking for someone to fix my car as well.. it's minor but oh well.
USJ area... so far 3 cars sent to this workshop... and i'm really satisfied with their workmanship on all 3 of them. I can see his business is growing more importantly his being in this forum for many years.
6UE5T
post Dec 13 2017, 10:48 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(voncrane @ Dec 12 2017, 10:26 PM)
I see, pretty much what my guy said.. Can be fixed but will be viewed as got accident. Even though, a minor one.. At around RM200 is a price I'm willing to live with. My major concern with getting a used one without knowing the history is that it too could have been involved in some accident and fixed and OR wasn't stored/maintained properly.. meaning it'll begin to show signs of damage shortly after. At least with mine, I know its Ori and never worked on before and I maintain the car paint, surface, interior. engine, etc religiously. Nevertheless, It's an option worth exploring. I'll go take a look at the used one and hopefully it's in decent condition. Any pointers to look out for?
Just inspect carefully from BOTH sides of the bonnet, knock all around it to observe the sound and the feel if it have already had some layer of cement for repairs, look at the welding spots underneath if looks original and none broken coz if also already got accident, sometimes those welding spots got cracked/look different, observe the paint if got sings of 'island' coming up indicating improper cementing and repairs/repainting. Storage is not much of an issue as long as its not rusted.

QUOTE(kidmad @ Dec 12 2017, 11:17 PM)
i'll ignore those asking you to change the whole bonnet. It's pretty much JUST a dent... nothing major.

Dent Repair Sdn. Bhd. <-- pretty famous in facebook try reaching out.. h is doing dent repair within knocking and repainting.. seen alot good feedbacks.
Avoid getting from chop shop.. imagine the chop shop car isn't actually using an original bonnet.. that's your worst nightmare.
Just a few days ago on another thread there's a posting that this guy paid rm150-200 just for a coin size dent to repair at that place! laugh.gif If like that, how much do you think they will charge for this size of dent? biggrin.gif Totally not worth it IMHO.

Chop shop parts especially for body parts are actually a very good option. Many are from cars with accident on some area but other parts are still totally intact hence still in good condition and can be bought for a very good deal. (For example from rear ended cars, you can still get many front end parts in good condition, and vice versa).

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0789sec    3.04    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 18th July 2019 - 08:59 PM