Review Xiaomi Yeelight Smart RGB Light Strip

views

TSidoblu
post Dec 9 2017, 12:38 PM, updated 7y ago

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

Yeelight Smart RGB Light Strip - What is it?
user posted image

Basically its a 2 meter long light strip that you can change colors (up to 16 million variations). You can cut it to a shorter length if needed but you cannot extend it, so 2m is the max. It comes with its own wired controller which you can turn on/off the lights and change colors so you do not need to hook it to your WiFi or use the app to control it.

But if you do connect it to your WiFi, it can do a lot more. First download the app called Yeelight on both iOS App store and Google's Playstore. Im not going to go through the setting up procedure cause its pretty much the same as with other IoT devices.

user posted image
The Yeelight comes with a Type A flat prong power adapter. Yes its 100v-240v type so it works but you need to get a plug converter. Since I have several Type A plugs that I need power for, I decided to buy the Xiaomi 3 sockets Power Strip with 3 powered USB sockets. Its a small power extension that works very well with my setup.

user posted image

The leds themselves are nicely encapsulated in clear bendable plastic making the whole strip to be flexible and durable. The back has an adhesive strip but I dont think its made by 3M. Its not as strong as 3M unfortunately. Installation is merely sticking the strip to a clean smooth surface and you are done.

The app is pretty responsive compare to MiHome app. There is not much lag and seems pretty responsive. With the app you can turn on or off the lights, change the colors, dim the lights, set up a schedule or timer (count down). It also has a "recommended" selection which are presets by Xiaomi (see pic below). You can also create your own scene.
user posted image
Other than that, Yeelight can also connect with IFTTT, and you can also voice control it using Alexa or Google Home. Yes you can turn it on/off, change brightness, change color, all with voice command. Its pretty doped if you ask me.

The only cons I can see - its not too bright but then again I cant fault it too much as its supposed to be for ambience lighting. I also wish they use a better adhesive tape like 3M

Specs -
user posted image
This post has been edited by idoblu: Dec 9 2017, 12:44 PM
enriquelee
post Dec 9 2017, 01:18 PM

Don't ask for more, ask for COKE
All Stars
10,507 posts

Any picture of your set up? smile.gif
TSidoblu
post Dec 9 2017, 01:47 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(enriquelee @ Dec 9 2017, 01:18 PM)
Any picture of your set up?  smile.gif
Yes will take a pic tonight cause now it’s too bright 😅
TSidoblu
post Dec 9 2017, 08:55 PM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(enriquelee @ Dec 9 2017, 01:18 PM)
Any picture of your set up?  smile.gif
ozak

user posted image

see the black and white cube on the right side? i wanted to put the yeelight strip inside the box but the yeelight strip is not bright enough
so i used it on the bench instead. I will put another strip behind my white bench later on

i wanted to change colors of the light coming out of the box but there is no RGB E14 bulbs yet on the market so....

you can see the google home mini on the extreme left

This post has been edited by idoblu: Dec 9 2017, 08:58 PM
ozak
post Dec 9 2017, 11:44 PM

10k Club
All Stars
16,546 posts

Strip around behind the tv is more nice. Shine toward the wall to create ambient light.

Since it not that bright. Nice mood.

This post has been edited by ozak: Dec 9 2017, 11:45 PM
TSidoblu
post Dec 10 2017, 07:10 AM

stars for sale
All Stars
11,308 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Dec 9 2017, 11:44 PM)
Strip around behind the tv is more nice.  Shine toward the wall to create ambient light.

True but got 4 sides - too many wires

enriquelee
post Dec 11 2017, 08:56 AM

Don't ask for more, ask for COKE
All Stars
10,507 posts

QUOTE(idoblu @ Dec 9 2017, 08:55 PM)
ozak
see the black and white cube on the right side? i wanted to put the yeelight strip inside the box but the yeelight strip is not bright enough
so i used it on the bench instead. I will put another strip behind my white bench later on

i wanted to change colors of the light coming out of the box but there is no RGB E14 bulbs yet on the market so....

you can see the google home mini on the extreme left
What is the black and white cube thingy? Look nice!

QUOTE(ozak @ Dec 9 2017, 11:44 PM)
Strip around behind the tv is more nice.  Shine toward the wall to create ambient light.

Yeah! Just like the Philip LED TV.

QUOTE(idoblu @ Dec 10 2017, 07:10 AM)
True but got 4 sides - too many wires
Put 2 sides will do.
Spootid
post Dec 12 2017, 12:00 PM

Casual
403 posts

Price...?
TSidoblu
post Dec 12 2017, 12:04 PM