Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Which mid-tier audit firm is best?, Need advise

views

TSdgg_123
post Dec 7 2017, 06:34 PM, updated 7y ago

Getting Started
87 posts

Looking for intern now, a little bit about myself, 3rd year accounting degree with 3.6 CGPA from a somehow reputable local U.

People say I should go for intern at Big 4, 1stly my internship duration is 6 months and it poses advantage over other uni (2~3 months which is less preferable for the firm to hire), 2ndly my CGPA is not that bad after all although not of top notch.

But many of my relatives, parents' friends (some of them actually worked in Big 4 before) told me that although in terms of career advancement Big 4 is very promising and polishes the resume, but not good if I'm seeking for work-life balance. They told me that it would be better to be in mid-tier audit firms such as BDO, Baker Tilly, Mazars, Crowe Horwath, Moore Stephens. They told me that indeed every audit firms are having long working hours, but at least the stress, workload and working hours is not so crazy at mid-tier firms if compared to Big 4, at the same time able to gain exposure (various sectors and also listed companies) and somehow looks still ok in resume if I would like to jump into commercial line in the future.

Just to note that I'm the kind of person that does not seeks maximum profit but rather a steady increment and also work-life balance. E.g. Earning 10k per month by mid 30s is not my target. Would instead ok to be earning 6k per month at mid 30s but not having deteriorated life quality and health condition throughout my 20s. (Figures are just for comparison, please don't bash me on the inaccuracy of figures sweat.gif )

To add on, I would say that I do not plan to stay in audit line for too long, probably 2 or 3 years I would like to jump to commercial line.

So I wonder, which mid-tier audit firm is best? Seems like BDO is the 5th largest audit firm in Malaysia and more well-known, but when I do my research some of the forumer mentioned it treats employees like slaves as well. In fact I did quite alot of research myself particularly in Lowyat forum, but many of the comments and threads are quite outdated. I wonder in current context (2017), which mid-tier firm is the best choice? In terms of work-life balance and also recognition/reputation (in resume).

And would appreciate if someone could verify the extent of truth of the statement that mid-tier firms has less stress and workload but still looks ok in resume when I want to jump into commercial line in future as well.

This post has been edited by dgg_123: Dec 7 2017, 06:54 PM
mrhrs
post Dec 7 2017, 06:39 PM

Getting Started
131 posts

what do you meant by better? i term of knowledge all mid-tier audit firm its ok to enter.
there are a lot of choices, if you understand audit assertion and understand financial reporting it would easier for you to learn.
TSdgg_123
post Dec 7 2017, 06:43 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(mrhrs @ Dec 7 2017, 06:39 PM)
what do you meant by better? i term of knowledge all mid-tier audit firm its ok to enter.
there are a lot of choices, if you understand audit assertion and understand financial reporting it would easier for you to learn.
Sorry, I think you saw my thread before I modify it, my definition for best would be in terms of work-life balance and also recognition/reputation (in resume).

This post has been edited by dgg_123: Dec 7 2017, 06:44 PM
Buyalotforgaming
post Dec 7 2017, 08:01 PM

Casual
493 posts

Since it's just a short-term internship, why not give the big 4 a shot first? Looks good on the resume too. You can decide whether you want to do this long term or not later.
TSdgg_123
post Dec 7 2017, 08:37 PM

Getting Started
87 posts

QUOTE(Buyalotforgaming @ Dec 7 2017, 08:01 PM)
Since it's just a short-term internship, why not give the big 4 a shot first? Looks good on the resume too. You can decide whether you want to do this long term or not later.
If I performed well in internship, then they might offer me for full time position right? That's why I'm thinking why not join mid-tier firms from the beginning so that its easier for me to secure a full time position after grad, because I don't think I would like to land on a full time job in Big 4.
Buyalotforgaming
post Dec 7 2017, 10:34 PM

Casual
493 posts

QUOTE(dgg_123 @ Dec 7 2017, 08:37 PM)
If I performed well in internship, then they might offer me for full time position right? That's why I'm thinking why not join mid-tier firms from the beginning so that its easier for me to secure a full time position after grad, because I don't think I would like to land on a full time job in Big 4.
Yes, you're right. But since it's just 6 months, why not go and try the Big 4 first. The clientele (the big ones) they serve and your networking at these firms will be better. I don't see why it should be hard to get a job with the tier-2 firms after that, should you still wish to do so. Entry level audit positions are usually available in abundance anyway.

Also, there is no guarantee those firms offer lesser working hours and are less stressful. They may not be big 4, but they are still pretty darn huge.

Resume wise its a subjective thing...I am of the opinion that that depends on what kind of 'commercial line' you plan to go to after.

Financier
post Dec 8 2017, 02:14 AM

Getting Started
267 posts

Totally agree with the comment above. Go BIG 4 first, PwC or EY is a good start. Mid-tiers firm, when they see u got internship experience in BIG 4, its easy to enter ady.
Sasuke95
post Dec 8 2017, 08:18 AM

Enthusiast
889 posts

For me, since both mid-tier and big 4 are more or less the same workload (some mid-tier's workload worse than big 4 in terms of workload, until 4am, employee coughing like shit and look like zombie, fit become fat, etc), why not just go big 4? Don't stuck in between, either go all out or go home, going to mid-tier will at most give you 10% better life which is negligible. Make full use of your good background and go big 4 I suggest, just my RM0.05.

EDIT: whereas in big 4, I've seen managers with young, flawless and good-looking face, and fit body, I guess self-maintenance is achievable somehow if you know how.

EDIT 2: it's not easy go to in big 4 either, my advise is to prepare thoroughly before going interview, i failed 2 of the big4 interviews because I was not prepared enough. I was left with 1 big 4 choice and if it rejects again I will be in mid-tier as my starting, luckily with efforts the last one accepted me, it was a dangerous job-seeking experience. Sometimes people head to mid-tier not because they want to, its because they failed all big4 interviews and left with no choice, I nearly became 1 of them...

EDIT 3: dont go to BDO by the way, don't ask me why, just take my advice for this

This post has been edited by Sasuke95: Dec 8 2017, 08:29 AM
mrhrs
post Dec 12 2017, 11:56 AM

Getting Started
131 posts

QUOTE(dgg_123 @ Dec 7 2017, 06:43 PM)
Sorry, I think you saw my thread before I modify it, my definition for best would be in terms of work-life balance and also recognition/reputation (in resume).
based on my experiences, in audit firm or finance department in public listed co. get ready for long working hours. haha. When you join as an intern seniors normally will not give high expectation.However, if you are committed, seniors will expose you further in term of work experience by delegating some of audit task. eg check bank reconciliation, cut-off test check etc.

if i were you i will scope highest paid in term of allowances.

Mr. Najib Razak
post Dec 12 2017, 02:12 PM

Getting Started
289 posts

QUOTE(Sasuke95 @ Dec 8 2017, 08:18 AM)
For me, since both mid-tier and big 4 are more or less the same workload (some mid-tier's workload worse than big 4 in terms of workload, until 4am, employee coughing like shit and look like zombie, fit become fat, etc), why not just go big 4? Don't stuck in between, either go all out or go home, going to mid-tier will at most give you 10% better life which is negligible. Make full use of your good background and go big 4 I suggest, just my RM0.05.

EDIT: whereas in big 4, I've seen managers with young, flawless and good-looking face, and fit body, I guess self-maintenance is achievable somehow if you know how.

EDIT 2: it's not easy go to in big 4 either, my advise is to prepare thoroughly before going interview, i failed 2 of the big4 interviews because I was not prepared enough. I was left with 1 big 4 choice and if it rejects again I will be in mid-tier as my starting, luckily with efforts the last one accepted me, it was a dangerous job-seeking experience. Sometimes people head to mid-tier not because they want to, its because they failed all big4 interviews and left with no choice, I nearly became 1 of them...

EDIT 3: dont go to BDO by the way, don't ask me why, just take my advice for this
In contrary, I have a few seniors who did internship in bdo kl (audit) loved the place
All of them agreed that bdo is a conducive environment to learn and growth
Seniors are nice and helpful

kentroy
post Dec 13 2017, 06:29 PM

Getting Started
95 posts

Hi, I have been intern in big 4, worked in medium firm and now working in one of the big 4. Your relatives mentioned the work hours are slightly less than Big 4 if work in medium firm like BDO, Baker Tilly, Crowe Horwarth but i can said actually are same some even medium size firm are more stressful cause I saw it by myself. I was worked in one of the medium firm and saw many of my ex-colleagues they have been assigned many cases and saw few of them accumulated more than 15+ case pending to review and clear. You can imagine every night how they spend to clear all this stuff.

In my thought since the work load and working hour are same as big 4 why do i spend my time and energy in mid-tier not big 4. The cost of you work in big 4 and mid-tier is same but the revenue(experience and brand name) are diff. Why you don't use the same time and energy to get the better stuff.

Give yourself a chances to intern in big4 and see the environment first. I can tell you intern in big 4 you won't learn much but you slightly know what are happen around.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0133sec    0.38    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:27 PM