Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

A-levels

views

TSlxvelorn
post Dec 7 2017, 11:35 AM, updated 7y ago

15 posts

Currently in the process of choosing my a level subjects, I'm not 100% clear on what I intend to pursue, career wise. Anything analytical I guess?

I'm currently deciding over these combinations:
-physics, maths, chem, further maths
-physics, maths, chem, english literature
-physics, maths, bio, further maths (weird combi i know sweat.gif chem is my least fav of three sciences)
Any thoughts on the combinations above or the career pathways I would be able to go into?

1) Is it possible to pursue a physics or engineering degree without taking further maths?
2) Referring to the the third combination presented, is chemistry a required subject for uni admissions to do biology degrees? (biotech, sustainable environment, ecology, genetics etc... NOT medicine).
3) Aside from chemical engineering, does other branches of engineering degrees require chemistry as an alevel subject to be able to do it at uni?

This post has been edited by lxvelorn: Dec 8 2017, 11:08 AM
keenjoy1413
post Dec 7 2017, 12:17 PM

Casual
413 posts

QUOTE(lxvelorn @ Dec 7 2017, 12:35 PM)
Currently in the process of choosing my a level subjects, I'm not 100% clear on what I intend to pursue, career wise.

-physics, chem, maths, further maths
-physics, chem, maths, english literature
-physics, bio, maths, further maths (weird combi i know  sweat.gif )

1) Is it possible to pursue a physics or engineering degree without taking further maths?
2) Referring to the the third combination presented, is it possible to pursue degrees in biology without taking chemistry, is it a required subject for uni admissions? (biotech, sustainable environment, ecology, genetics etc... NOT medicine). Aside from chemical engineering, does other branches of engineering degrees require chemistry as an alevel subject to be able to do it at uni?
Answer to 1:
Yes. U can. Not all engineering course required further math.

Answer to 2:
You can't. If u need study bio related courses in the future. U need chemistry as this is the main required requested from universities. Biology only the second requirement. Without chem u can forget about to doing bio related courses.

featherwing
post Dec 7 2017, 05:39 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

Question op, do you want to go overseas uni after pre u? If not, there are cheaper ways to get into local private unis.
TSlxvelorn
post Dec 7 2017, 09:37 PM

15 posts

QUOTE(featherwing @ Dec 7 2017, 05:39 PM)
Question op, do you want to go overseas uni after pre u? If not, there are cheaper ways to get into local private unis.
Yes, I'm planning to go overseas to do degree, most probably UK, will have to work my ass off though.
Just Visiting By
post Dec 7 2017, 10:48 PM

Regular
1,828 posts

QUOTE(lxvelorn @ Dec 7 2017, 11:35 AM)
Currently in the process of choosing my a level subjects, I'm not 100% clear on what I intend to pursue, career wise.

2) Referring to the the third combination presented, is it possible to pursue degrees in biology without taking chemistry, is it a required subject for uni admissions? (biotech, sustainable environment, ecology, genetics etc... NOT medicine). Aside from chemical engineering, does other branches of engineering degrees require chemistry as an alevel subject to be able to do it at uni?
1) Yes, you can. FM is only recommended but never made compulsory for degree entrance.

2) Not recommended even if allowed. Chemistry is quite heavily involved in any biology-related topics. You can go for engineering without chemistry, but not recommended for biology.
Buyalotforgaming
post Dec 7 2017, 10:56 PM

Casual
493 posts

1) In short, yes. Will definitely be an advantage if you are keen on top tier uni's though.

2) Each individual university should have their own specific requirements for this. But in short, I do not think you need chemistry if you want to pursue certain biology degrees (though it is an added advantage if you do). Your third combination is a strange one I must say...

This post has been edited by Buyalotforgaming: Dec 7 2017, 10:58 PM
iSean
post Dec 7 2017, 11:08 PM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

TBH, you really sound like me, having a difficult choice between Biology or FM as forth subject, but then it was clear to me afterwards. Because of A- in Add Maths failed t join FM. sweat.gif
Was interested in Biotech or Biomechatronics, or Genetics.

1. Yes, just make sure A-Level get a minimum C/B for Maths and Physics which is most requirements for Engineering in University.
2. Depending on uni requirement for this one.

Personal thoughts as a 1st Year Student in EEE in mid-class Malaysian Private University.
A Level Mathematics is already overkill for this Subject. Gotten D in A Level, but 4.0 for 2 Mathematics Engineering Subjects for far. sweat.gif

Further Mathematics, please practice FM after A-levels most of my friends all kong their FM after they graduated. Useful for Engineering maybe, mostly the introduction to Engineering Mathematics course. So far the common stuff I saw, only Vectors and matrices from the FM syllabus. Others didn't really saw them useful yet.

Chemistry wise, besides Petroleum or Chemical Engineering, not sure useful for other industry.
What you learnt not sure can really apply

-------------------
On a personal note, if you can't handle a 4th subject. Like Biology/Physics, if you think you didn't do well on one. Just drop one to 3 subjects, because you will really struggle with 4 subjects. sweat.gif Just that it is harder to apply for NUS/NTU with 3 subs.

This post has been edited by iSean: Dec 8 2017, 05:34 PM
featherwing
post Dec 8 2017, 01:53 AM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(lxvelorn @ Dec 7 2017, 09:37 PM)
Yes, I'm planning to go overseas to do degree, most probably UK, will have to work my ass off though.
I see OP, well I took Chem, Phy, Math, FM for my a-levels. I would say take FM for sure if you wanna take engineering. I finished my a-levels and I would say that FM is the best bridge between Year 1 engineering and Pre uni even though FM is not a requirement for engineering courses. Do FM now and you'll have a better idea of what to expect for engineering courses rather than drop out later because you can't cope at uni level.

I'll explain why double maths double science is better than triple science and maths for pre-engineering.

Maths has 2 papers at AS level( P1, pure maths & P6, statistics) and 2 papers at A2 level( P3, pure maths & P4, mechanics)

FM has 2 papers and are only at A2 level, FM1 is pure maths while FM2 is applied maths(ie statistics and mechanics). *Mechanics is basically a harder version of SPM Physics chapter 2*

P1&P6 are basically spm level maths. P3 has a lot of higher theory but after you take FM1 you will feel P3 is basically kacang putih. Why? It's because FM1 builds on P3 theory. When you do exercises for FM1, you are basically revising P3 as well. As for P4, it's like SPM add maths student doing PMR maths after you do FM2 exercises.

Note: In my experience I only needed to brush up on 2 out of 9 chapters of P3 which are numerical methods and complex no to prepare for my A2 maths.

If you decide to take 3science 1 maths, keep in mind you have to study 4 completely different subjects for AS and A2.

For 2maths 2 science, you study 3 subjects for AS and A2( FM syllabus has about 90% of A2 maths).

This post has been edited by featherwing: Dec 8 2017, 01:58 AM
zeng
post Dec 8 2017, 10:34 AM

Regular
1,760 posts

As you are aware, Physics is required for most engineering courses but,
FM is required to tackle 'complicated' engineering like Mechanical , and possibly Aeronautical .... not sure about other engineering courses though.
Bio is not required for most or all engineering courses and most medicine courses in UK.

This post has been edited by zeng: Dec 8 2017, 10:34 AM
clickNsnap
post Dec 8 2017, 11:15 PM

On my way
539 posts

If the choice of 4 A-level subjects are Bio, Chem, Math & Psychology... without Physics, any limitation of enrolling science degree course in the future?

BioTech, BioMedic, MicroBio, Food Science/Tech, Chemistry Engineering... require Physics?

Taking the Psychology, just would like to explore it, may venture into Psychology/HR/Admin field.

Any thoughts? Kindly share.

Thanks.
featherwing
post Dec 9 2017, 12:17 AM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(clickNsnap @ Dec 8 2017, 11:15 PM)
If the choice of 4 A-level subjects are Bio, Chem, Math & Psychology... without Physics, any limitation of enrolling science degree course in the future?

BioTech, BioMedic, MicroBio, Food Science/Tech, Chemistry Engineering... require Physics?

Taking the Psychology, just would like to explore it, may venture into Psychology/HR/Admin field.

Thanks.
You can check your degree course entry requirements for alevels. For example, TARC bioscience and food science requirement is chemistry and 2 other subjects.

This post has been edited by featherwing: Dec 9 2017, 12:18 AM
clickNsnap
post Dec 9 2017, 01:03 AM

On my way
539 posts

QUOTE(featherwing @ Dec 9 2017, 01:17 AM)
You can check your degree course entry requirements for alevels. For example, TARC bioscience and food science requirement is chemistry and 2 other subjects.
Thanks for the advise, will check the requirements of each Uni.
iSean
post Dec 9 2017, 11:19 AM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

QUOTE(clickNsnap @ Dec 8 2017, 11:15 PM)

Thanks.
Hello again. Depending on your university requirements. As long it doesn't touches the line of Physics you should be alright. But Chemical Engineering tho , depends on places.

Generally, mostly 2 subjects is enough to apply for most university. If you are already certain what path to go on.

Psychology wise, it is dependent on you. Would recommend you not to take Biology and Psychology as these two are heavily reading and memorization subjects.

You can still join Psychology in your degree or masters.
clickNsnap
post Dec 9 2017, 12:49 PM

On my way
539 posts

QUOTE(iSean @ Dec 9 2017, 12:19 PM)
Hello again. Depending on your university requirements. As long it doesn't touches the line of Physics you should be alright. But Chemical Engineering tho , depends on places.

Generally, mostly 2 subjects is enough to apply for most university. If you are already certain what path to go on.

Psychology wise, it is dependent on you. Would recommend you not to take Biology and Psychology as these two are heavily reading and memorization subjects.

You can still join Psychology in your degree or masters.
Thanks for the advise.

Will consider the 4th subject choice again.

CateBoo
post Dec 10 2017, 06:02 PM

14 posts

If you are aiming for top unis like Cambridge or Imperial, further maths of min A is a requirement.

TSlxvelorn
post Dec 10 2017, 08:36 PM

15 posts

Thank you all for your replies! I'm currently more inclined towards the physics, math, further maths, english literature pathway as I really enjoy reading and writing immensely. How would this subject combination narrow my chances of doing engineering courses? What more careers can I pursue with this combination?
iSean
post Dec 10 2017, 09:55 PM

iz old liao.
4,352 posts

QUOTE(lxvelorn @ Dec 10 2017, 08:36 PM)
Thank you all for your replies! I'm currently more inclined towards the physics, math, further maths, english literature pathway as I really enjoy reading and writing immensely. How would this subject combination narrow my chances of doing engineering courses? What  more careers can I pursue with this combination?
This combo really hard to find university offering. rclxub.gif

Sunway don't have English Lit but have regular English.
Taylors maybe.
MCKL have the subjects, but not sure they let you do this combo, you can do Economics in FM class.

featherwing
post Dec 11 2017, 06:04 AM

Getting Started
75 posts

From what i know, alevel classes are offered in different combos

The combos i know from sunway are

Chem, phy, math , fm
Econs, phy, math, fm
Chem, psychology, math, bio
Chem, phy, math, econ
Chem, phy, math, bio
Accounting, phy, math, fm

TSlxvelorn
post Dec 11 2017, 10:21 AM

15 posts

QUOTE(iSean @ Dec 10 2017, 09:55 PM)
This combo really hard to find university offering.  rclxub.gif

Sunway don't have English Lit but have regular English.
Taylors maybe.
MCKL have the subjects, but not sure they let you do this combo, you can do Economics in FM class.
I'm trying to keep my options open in the meantime as I won't rule out the possibility of doing arts/humanities career like law. Just thought that english lit would be suitable to demonstrate my ability to do law as I have only one essay based subject. Yet, I'm worried whether ommiting Chemistry would be a wise decision as it's advisable for a stronger foundation for scientific careers.

This post has been edited by lxvelorn: Dec 11 2017, 10:22 AM
keenjoy1413
post Dec 11 2017, 02:03 PM

Casual
413 posts

QUOTE(lxvelorn @ Dec 11 2017, 11:21 AM)
I'm trying to keep my options open in the meantime as I won't rule out the possibility of doing arts/humanities career like law. Just thought that english lit would be suitable to demonstrate my ability to do law as I have only one essay based subject. Yet, I'm worried whether ommiting Chemistry would be a wise decision as it's advisable for a stronger foundation for scientific careers.
English literature will be offer for jan2018 intake onward as a new subject in Sunway.

But still depend on u. I can give an advice.

If u already set ur mind in engineering only
This combination will be the best:
Phy, math, further math, (optional chem{ if take chem eng} or econ)

If u set to only biology science (biology bio tech chem)
This combination will be best:
Chem bio math (with or without any 4th subject)

If u not sure on engineering or bioscience
This combination allow u to go in both
Chem bio math phy

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0157sec    0.32    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:44 PM