Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Movies Murder on the Orient Express (2017), Agatha Christie meets Kenneth Branagh

views

TSMov_freak
post Dec 6 2017, 11:38 PM, updated 7y ago

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

Attached Image

Why no love for this movie, people?

Murder on the Orient Express is a 2017 American mystery drama film directed by Kenneth Branagh with a screenplay by Michael Green, based on the 1934 novel of the same name by Agatha Christie. The film stars Branagh as Hercule Poirot, with Penélope Cruz, Willem Dafoe, Judi Dench, Johnny Depp, Josh Gad, Derek Jacobi, Leslie Odom Jr., Michelle Pfeiffer, and Daisy Ridley in supporting roles. The film is the fourth adaptation of Christie's novel, following a 1974 film, a 2001 TV film, and a 2010 episode of Agatha Christie's Poirot.[6] The plot follows Poirot, a world-renowned detective, who seeks to solve a murder on the famous European train in the 1930s.

Principal photography began in November 2016 in the United Kingdom; it is one of the few in recent decades to use 65mm film cameras. Murder on the Orient Express had its world premiere on November 2, 2017 at Royal Albert Hall in London and was released in the United States on November 10, 2017, by 20th Century Fox.[7] The film has grossed $238 million worldwide and received mixed reviews from critics, with praise for the cast's performances and the production value, but criticism for not adding anything new to previous adaptations.

(excerpt from Wikipedia)

This post has been edited by Mov_freak: Dec 14 2017, 10:23 AM
TSMov_freak
post Dec 6 2017, 11:39 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

and the other

Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

One cannot talk about this movie, without making some form of reference to it's book writer, Agatha Christie.

Some what of an enigma herself (she "disappeared" in 1926 for a period of 10 days, causing a big manhunt for her) and also using the actual kidnapping and murder of Charles Lindbergh's son in 1932 as the MacGuffin for the story

Fast forward to now, how does Kenneth Branagh managed the latest movie adaptation of this VERY well known book.

The answer, with alot of respect and GREAT eye for details.

The production quality of this movie, is OFF THE CHART!!

With the budget 55 million USD, what he got on film is SPECTACULAR!

The script is great!

The Cast, oh my goodness, everyone brought their A GAME and Kenneth'e direction...

The scene where the murderer is revealed...
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

I love this movie to bits.

I do hope they make the sequel (in talks).

As always, My Two Sen.

This post has been edited by Mov_freak: Dec 11 2017, 08:21 PM
epsilon_chinwk86
post Dec 8 2017, 04:14 PM

On my way
601 posts

I went into the hall expecting to fall asleep & pass time before flight.

Unexpectedly stayed awake throughout the movie. Good stuff .
whatever06
post Dec 8 2017, 05:28 PM

21 posts

Murder On The Orient Express – 7/10
This decent remake did enough to warrant a upcoming sequel "Death on the Nile". From director of Thor 1 and Cinderella you except more but only got enough to prevent rail away from tracks. Orient Express steam is there though it deserve more effort than this (the 1974 ver was better). Still a satisfying murder mystery. Best part is of course at very end where Poirot revealed the killer.
hakimix
post Dec 9 2017, 05:51 PM

Getting Started
64 posts

As someone that doesn't watch whodunit mystery I guess it's quite good and interesting film albeit a bit rushed in the introduction of the suspects and their motives and the clues and the evidences for the murder case.

My little sister who is an avid reader of Agatha Christie's novels remarks that Poirot's characterisations and mannerisms deviate a lot from the books - he's more emotional in his problem solving in the film. Also, his deductive brilliance are highlighted and people look up to him more rather than just underestimate him.

I won't read the novel but I guess I'll watch the 1974 version to compare. I think in the newer one they combine two characters into one.
LightningZERO
post Dec 10 2017, 01:41 AM

The Golden Knight
1,683 posts

I thought it was a pretty fun movie. Not really a fair mystery film, but I am thoroughly pleased. Not many boring scenes and Poirrot was fun to watch.

My gf who is a fan of book did not really like the movie. Too many over dramatic moments, she said
TSMov_freak
post Dec 10 2017, 08:06 AM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

QUOTE(LightningZERO @ Dec 10 2017, 01:41 AM)
My gf who is a fan of book did not really like the movie. Too many over dramatic moments, she said
Erm... It is called artistic licensing laugh.gif
5p3ak
post Dec 10 2017, 03:42 PM

CPE, FIG Certified Gymnastics Coach
5,648 posts

Watched it, and well done! Just felt that it was slightly rushed at times. 8/10.

December suddenly have like so many great movies
greyshadow
post Dec 11 2017, 08:23 AM

I bleed it out, Diggin' deeper just to throw it away!
1,826 posts

Read the novel two decades ago (yeah, I'm old tongue.gif)
can't remember the actual plot, but know whodunit
so it's kinda spoilt the ending for me, but the revelation part is done so well, it gave me tears in my eyes
Yeah, the movie Poirot deviates a bit from the original source, but this version I think they made him more humane to appeal more to the mass audience
and the star studded casts? wow! most of them are amazing!
9/10 for me thumbup.gif

TSMov_freak
post Dec 11 2017, 02:16 PM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

QUOTE(greyshadow @ Dec 11 2017, 08:23 AM)
Read the novel two decades ago (yeah, I'm old tongue.gif)
can't remember the actual plot, but know whodunit
so it's kinda spoilt the ending for me, but the revelation part is done so well, it gave me tears in my eyes
Yeah, the movie Poirot deviates a bit from the original source, but this version I think they made him more humane to appeal more to the mass audience
and the star studded casts? wow! most of them are amazing!
9/10 for me thumbup.gif
Right!!

Than again, I don't see this making a billion dollars at the box office... Do you? (eg not a marvel universe movie...) laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Mov_freak: Dec 11 2017, 03:13 PM
tonYe
post Dec 12 2017, 02:36 AM

Game Designer
1,455 posts

Anyone seen the previous adaptation that won some Oscars? Was it much better?
TSMov_freak
post Dec 12 2017, 09:45 AM

aka. Nickelodein Weirdo
Group Icon
1,723 posts

My review of the original movie can be found here

Murder on the Oriental Express (1974)

Both movies were made at different times and for different audiences.

I like them both actually, but from a production value point of view, the I prefer the latter...
greyshadow
post Dec 13 2017, 11:50 AM

I bleed it out, Diggin' deeper just to throw it away!
1,826 posts

Watch the 1974 version last night, cos of Sean Connery is in it tongue.gif

1974 one is more faithful to the source material, including Poirot himself as a "egg shaped, funny little man", and the "extra" doctor as well.
Not a bad movie, but by today's standard it doesn't age well, IMO, I don't like the Armstrong family prologue, too obvious already, and some characters background are just too brief. And the "happy" cheers.gif ending~! ohmy.gif gasp! it won't sit well with today's audiences.

I still prefer the modern adaptation, where some characters are merge into one, better motive & background, and the powerful ala last supper revelation at the end thumbup.gif
not to mention Poirot's struggle with his inner Black & White self to deliver the final verdict. thumbup.gif

This post has been edited by greyshadow: Dec 13 2017, 11:53 AM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0153sec    0.37    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:31 PM