Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Tires - high grip & low rolling resistance?, Silica compounds

views

TSokuribito
post Nov 30 2017, 06:56 PM, updated 7y ago

Regular
1,013 posts

Found this video that explains why they're adding sand(?) to tire compounds. I noticed they highlight use of silica compounds when promoting eco tires.

Just for info and perhaps recommendations for good eco tires also welcome smile.gif
regnox
post Nov 30 2017, 07:46 PM

0 posts

TOYO nano energy 3 :good:

6UE5T
post Nov 30 2017, 10:47 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(okuribito @ Nov 30 2017, 06:56 PM)
Found this video that explains why they're adding sand(?)  to tire compounds.  I noticed they highlight  use of silica compounds when promoting eco tires.

Just for info and perhaps recommendations for good eco tires also welcome  smile.gif
That's why now the difference of rolling resistance (and in effect the fuel consumption) between top UHP tires and low range eco tires is not that significant and therefore always try to buy the best performance tire you can afford, coz the difference in grip is huge while the difference in rolling resistance is not so much anymore.
TSokuribito
post Nov 30 2017, 11:20 PM

Regular
1,013 posts

what's UHP tires? Ultra High Performance?

I thot Jason the EE guy was saying that at low speeds, the silica compound behaves differently than at high speeds - low rolling resistance at low speed to benefit FC but good grip at high speeds for safety. Like a chameleon.

Then again, the question is what is low speed & high speed - he did not say.
6UE5T
post Nov 30 2017, 11:37 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(okuribito @ Nov 30 2017, 11:20 PM)
what's UHP tires? Ultra High Performance?

I thot Jason the EE guy was saying that at low speeds, the silica compound behaves differently than at high speeds - low rolling resistance at low speed to benefit FC but good grip at high speeds for safety. Like a chameleon.

Then again, the question is what is low speed & high speed -  he did not say.
Now my question to you, is that new compound cost more? If so, do you think the cheap low end tires will use the same amount of silica as in the UHP tires?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0119sec    0.33    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:50 PM