4 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> My thoughts on Justice League, sorta mini review + rant

views

TSFaidzal
post Nov 19 2017, 03:02 PM, updated 7y ago

Getting Started
240 posts

Movie is actually ok, not a 10/10, more of a low 7/10 or high 6/10.

and apparently the reshots were extensive:

https://screenrant.com/justice-league-movie...d-snyder-whedon

and off the top of my head some things stuck in my my head:

1. that blackpink song they replaced in the flash meetup

user posted image

full video of the song:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

original was some skull video placeholder pic:

see minute 0:54...

I guess this is important in Asian markets bcos one little girl sitting next to me started singing along to the song for the entire duration of that scene, she only stopped singing when batman threw the batarang...

I thought this was some Asian market-specific scene (like in minions where they changed the song to suit the market) but apparently even MTV usa covered this too.

2. the 'new' intro with superman giving a podcast interview

sort of lightened the tone a bit, probably this was a footage shown before that awful house of congress tragedy, to show that some ppl still looked up to superman as the symbol of hope.

3. the song "everybody knows' from leonard cohen but sung by sigrid. awesome song juxtaposed with that racial attack on Muslims (yay I guess WB now supports Muslims...)

4. the scene when clark back at the farm, they cut the part about lois wearing the ring. dunno why, maybe bcos the supposed 2 hour limit imposed, but man it's maybe less than a minute, I dunno why they cut that out, i'm expecting an ultimate edition 4K HDR bluray version to milk the fans...

5. more scenes cut from trailers, some are reshot or some totally left out eg. scene with Alfred talking to someone (presumably superman) in the batcave, scene with cyborg saving the policeman from the exploding police car ("you should probably move"), scene where barry allen pushes reality (?) some say it was a window, scene where victor stone in sports/letterman jacket walking.

overall the movie is nice, but certainly not as bad as what tomatometer claims to be.

more to come as I recall scenes...

This post has been edited by Faidzal: Nov 19 2017, 03:04 PM
Al Puccino
post Nov 19 2017, 03:08 PM

Casual
346 posts

I personally give it a 6/10.

and I think its not as bad as rotten's rating.

Also hate the fact that they f-ed up Batman's character. Look at that Batman's face when Superman returns. Damn.
fapman
post Nov 19 2017, 03:19 PM

Getting Started
122 posts

Just watched it yesterday morning.
I love it & I rate it 7.5 or 8 out of 10.
Certainly not as bad as what the review & rating in RT claims to be.
TSFaidzal
post Nov 19 2017, 03:20 PM

Getting Started
240 posts

QUOTE(Al Puccino @ Nov 19 2017, 03:08 PM)

Also hate the fact that they f-ed up Batman's character. Look at that Batman's face when Superman returns. Damn.
blame the reshoots.

they gave whedon free reign in order to 'lighten' up the tone from Snyder's 'dark and grim' vision....

that intro was also a whedon reshoot, hence the purposely 'vertical video podcast' grainy clip, so they can mask out cavil's nosefur which he can't shave due to Mission Impossible 6....

and supposedly the "yup, something's definitely bleeding" is another whedon zinger....
nightshade_nova
post Nov 19 2017, 03:22 PM

Casual
443 posts

I watched the movie too. Its very average. Could have been better.
My gripes with the movie (very very minor spoilers):

If you read my comments, tell me if Im wrong that the movie could be better in those departments.

This post has been edited by nightshade_nova: Nov 19 2017, 03:23 PM
natamhanjing
post Nov 19 2017, 03:23 PM

Getting Started
74 posts

Whedon finally can reshoot with Wonder Woman drool.gif
netmatrix
post Nov 19 2017, 03:28 PM

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

QUOTE(nightshade_nova @ Nov 19 2017, 03:22 PM)

If you read my comments, tell me if Im wrong that the movie could be better in those departments.
Well the last scene when Bruce says a table with 6 seatings or more sort of shows there is continuity option for the future.

Also when you talk about desperate, its like the feel of Star Wars Rouge One kind of desperation? I like that. But then again they do not have 6 person with Godly powers.

This post has been edited by netmatrix: Nov 19 2017, 03:30 PM
junsheng
post Nov 19 2017, 03:28 PM

---> pokemon ftw <---
1,253 posts

weird n not funny, i rate it 3/10
gaeria84
post Nov 19 2017, 03:29 PM

Enthusiast
830 posts

QUOTE(Al Puccino @ Nov 19 2017, 03:08 PM)

I actually liked this more human batman. Not many people liked the mopey and homicidal batman from BvS hmm.gif
nightshade_nova
post Nov 19 2017, 03:31 PM

Casual
443 posts

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Nov 19 2017, 03:28 PM)
Well the last scene when Bruce says a table with 6 seatings or more sort of shows there is continuity option for the future.
Yeah, but the tradition is to do some sort of press conference/public announcement, with the people cheering on their heroes.
If not now, I hope in the future they will.
TSFaidzal
post Nov 19 2017, 03:35 PM

Getting Started
240 posts

QUOTE(nightshade_nova @ Nov 19 2017, 03:22 PM)

I think everything points to the WB/DC comics decision to limit the show to 2 hours.

hence a lot of cuts and reshoots to 'fill in the gaps'.

humans+ amazons+atlanteans being friendly is summarized by 30 second flashback clip (which also included greek gods + alien green lantern) which asks us to asccept that a huge danger is approaching so all 'tribes' of earth forgo their grudges and fight the invader...

I saw the credits and they also credited david Thewlis (ares in wonderwoman movie) included, but didn't actually see him, maybe he was in the background of the 30-second flashback clip...

what we did see is either zeus of the greek gods (zeus uses lightning as his weapon in greek mythology) or the early occupier of the shazam role or maybe the wizard shazam himself...
pcboss00
post Nov 19 2017, 03:55 PM

Getting Started
174 posts

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Nov 19 2017, 03:28 PM)

Also when you talk about desperate, its like the feel of Star Wars Rouge One kind of desperation? I like that. But then again they do not have 6 person with Godly powers.
captain marvel upcoming film in 2019.
Left4Dead2
post Nov 19 2017, 04:11 PM

Regular
1,085 posts

The movie is too Marvel style and definitely not dark as Batman Vs Superman

Really many scene cut from this final version

Also TS, the Flash fight with the parademon scene in the sewer from trailer also missing
sacremento
post Nov 19 2017, 04:17 PM

Cloud Surfer
877 posts

I think the movie was okay. The jokes part were somewhat a "little" funny but i felt the awkwardness in them.
TSFaidzal
post Nov 19 2017, 04:37 PM

Getting Started
240 posts

QUOTE(Left4Dead2 @ Nov 19 2017, 04:11 PM)

Also TS, the Flash fight with the parademon scene in the sewer from trailer also missing
yup, they 'marvelised' the movie, bcos it seems that is what the viewers wanted.

dc tried too much to be as dark or darker than the grounded reality of the dark knight trilogy, I guess they forgot to balance that out...

but they also forgot that in the comics superman has always been the 'light' or yin to batman's yang....

you can see the 1990s batman and superman animated series as perfect comparison and how they should've approached it....

yeah sure some fans actually complained about the DC 'timm-verse' bcos apparently warner bros and dc comics 'forced' bruce timm to lighten the tone for his animated series but all in all he struck a good balance afterwards.

and the 2000 justice league and justice league unlimited is still regarded as one of the top 3 or top 5 animated series ever released...

ZeroSOFInfinity
post Nov 19 2017, 04:42 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,698 posts

They removed 2 moments from the trailers....

1) Steppenwolf "No Lanterns and Kryptonians" quote (but we do get to see some Lanterns fighting in the flashback scene).

2) Who Alfred was talking to.....
ZeroSOFInfinity
post Nov 19 2017, 05:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,698 posts

QUOTE(Left4Dead2 @ Nov 19 2017, 04:11 PM)

The reshoots really didnt help one bit. Some scenes look quite awkward and changes the whole complexion of the movie. I would honestly love to see the "Snyder version" once the DVD version comes out.
gaeria84
post Nov 19 2017, 05:05 PM

Enthusiast
830 posts

QUOTE(Faidzal @ Nov 19 2017, 04:37 PM)
yup, they 'marvelised' the movie, bcos it seems that is what the viewers wanted.

dc tried too much to be as dark or darker than the grounded reality of the dark knight trilogy, I guess they forgot to balance that out...

but they also forgot that in the comics superman has always been the 'light' or yin to batman's yang....

you can see the 1990s batman and superman animated series as perfect comparison and how they should've approached it....

yeah sure some fans actually complained about the DC 'timm-verse' bcos apparently warner bros and dc comics 'forced' bruce timm to lighten the tone for his animated series but all in all he struck a good balance afterwards.

and the 2000 justice league and justice league unlimited is still regarded as one of the top 3 or top 5 animated series ever released...
I lol-ed when people say JL is trying to be like marvel. It's not, it's just cos of Snyder's vision of trying hard to be different but end up failed vmad.gif

JL animated series is actually very lighthearted. And Superman 1978 is a lighthearted movie with some dramatic beats, and is still the gold standard for superhero films, what MCU is emulating today

Even DCAU writers macam frust and took a funny jab at BvS laugh.gif

Still a better scene than BvS kek rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by gaeria84: Nov 19 2017, 05:15 PM
legendofhafiz
post Nov 19 2017, 05:13 PM

Getting Started
82 posts

Trying hard to be Marvel to please critiques.so it has hit and miss.overall is ok imo.large setup for future,for Darkseid

Pretty sure Aquaman next year will be hit
TSFaidzal
post Nov 19 2017, 05:19 PM

Getting Started
240 posts

QUOTE(gaeria84 @ Nov 19 2017, 05:05 PM)
I lol-ed when people say JL is trying to be like marvel. It's not, it's just cos of Snyder's vision of trying hard to be different but end up failed  vmad.gif

JL animated series is actually very lighthearted. And Superman 1978 is a lighthearted movie with some dramatic beats, and is still the gold standard for superhero films, what MCU is emulating today
I agree on some of your points.

but dark, grim and gritty can work (see dark knight trilogy).

I already mentioned this, yeah zack Snyder fucked up the execution not bcos his fault alone, just that maybe audiences are not ready for a dark and gritty superman (and again bcos he went full retard on the dark and gritty) and the marvel effect (specifically the 1st avengers movie, which I dare say is the gold standard for superhero team up movies)

and since you mentioned 1978 superman, yeah they realized that also worked and hence why the john Williams theme is referenced again along with several tropes made by that movie (the ripping off of the shirt, the fly into the sky, the superman smile etc......).

even in the lego batman movie it was the john Williams theme that was used as the doorbell chime...

along with the batman theme (well danny elfman re-scored the movie since hans zimmer won't kudos to him for a good job nonetheless).

JL animated series is balanced, there are lighthearted episodes (the time everyone got turned into kids is a classic example, or the time WW became a pig and others) but there are gritty and dark episodes as well (the alan moore 'for the man who has everything' was quite well done and emotional, the 1st season finale with terry McGinnis/future batman discovering that he is effectively the son of bruce wayne, the Viking prince story, the green arrow stories, the huntress/the question story etc.).

even superman the animated series had dark tones (the episode where darkseid brainwashed superman into being his soldier...)

4 Pages  1 2 3 > » 
Bump Topic Add ReplyOptions New Topic

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0176sec    0.54    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:20 PM