Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

WTA Change windows user account folder name

views

TSnidunalza
post Nov 17 2017, 10:11 AM, updated 7y ago

Getting Started
62 posts

Hi,

Tried to see if this topic has been covered but cannot find. Anyway, when I first registered my laptop I used a microsoft account. So by default my user folder name was truncated to the first 5 alphabets of my microsoft account email. And there is no option to change the folder name. Anyone knows a workaround?
There are some forums suggesting create a local account with admin priviledge then migrate over. But I still cant figure out how to change the user account name. javascript:emoticon(':bangwall:')
If anyone can help.. much appreciated!!

P.S: My computer skills so so only. javascript:emoticon(':sweat:')
breaker84
post Nov 17 2017, 10:16 AM

\\//\\//\\//\\//
1,713 posts

you mean this one?

user posted image

This post has been edited by breaker84: Nov 17 2017, 10:17 AM
dcheah
post Nov 28 2017, 11:28 AM

OldSkool
1,233 posts

QUOTE(nidunalza @ Nov 17 2017, 10:11 AM)
Hi,

Tried to see if this topic has been covered but cannot find. Anyway, when I first registered my laptop I used a microsoft account. So by default my user folder name was truncated to the first 5 alphabets of my microsoft account email. And there is no option to change the folder name. Anyone knows a workaround?
There are some forums suggesting create a local account with admin priviledge then migrate over. But I still cant figure out how to change the user account name. javascript:emoticon(':bangwall:')
If anyone can help.. much appreciated!!

P.S: My computer skills so so only. javascript:emoticon(':sweat:')
You need to create a temporary local admin account (eg. tempadmin), then login that account & remove the Microsoft account profile (backup your data first).

Then create another local admin account that correspond to your "preferred name".

Login to that new account & sync it with Microsoft account. If everything is works then you can remove that temp admin account.
dgboy
post Dec 1 2017, 09:01 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,932 posts

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-create-a...name-windows-10

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0112sec    0.28    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:54 PM