Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

How to choose 2nd hand tyre, Things to look out for

views

TSknwong
post Nov 17 2017, 08:56 AM, updated 7y ago

Look at all my stars!!
2,952 posts

Newbie here seeking advise

Passed by a tyre shop and discovered they sell 215/R17/50 PS4 at RM150 each.

What are the things I need to pay attention when purchasing resale tyre?
lucifah
post Nov 17 2017, 09:08 AM

St. Fu
Group Icon
Staff
7,932 posts

don't. just don't. unless they are almost brand new out from a brand new car

it's not worth your life to use 2nd hand tyre
danieln
post Nov 17 2017, 09:11 AM

Regular
1,249 posts

have you not seen enough videos of accidents caused by tyre failure?

if you want to suicide but please don't kill others along the way
raayeop
post Nov 17 2017, 11:03 AM

0 posts

buy new tyres unless the used tyres were just obtained from someone who upgrade to bigger rim.. But at RM150 for 215/50R17, i doubt that is the situation

dirtrun
post Nov 17 2017, 11:39 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,136 posts

I'd

Look at tread - bunga manyak, tak? And manufactured date - try not to use past 5/6years = meaning tat if you take 3 years to finish a tyre add 3 years to de manufactured date = should not be more than 6 years..
Of cos de unseen parts are important too.. unfotunately
Darklorenzo
post Nov 17 2017, 11:43 AM

5 posts

ikut poket
magnesium
post Nov 17 2017, 11:45 AM

Regular
1,130 posts

i use once

less than 2 years than mfg date

at first ok but after 2 or 3 months can feel like the tyre didn't grip

after 6 months do balancing and allignment, foremen show tyre already hardened

not well bumpy like others when dropped from certain high

that is my first and last 2nd tyre
psyduck89
post Nov 17 2017, 11:45 AM

New Korean Member
818 posts

suicide attemp?
6UE5T
post Nov 17 2017, 04:37 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(knwong @ Nov 17 2017, 08:56 AM)
Newbie here seeking advise

Passed by a tyre shop and discovered they sell 215/R17/50 PS4 at RM150 each.

What are the things I need to pay attention when purchasing resale tyre?
Carefully:
1. Observe the manufacturing date, better not get any older than 2 yrs old tires.
2. Check the inside, are all the inside wall lining and belt patterns still looks clean, no cracks and no punctures. If got signs of cracks or repaired punctures then avoid.
3. Check the treads, already got cracks or not, and are they worn out evenly. How deep still left, the thicker the better and probably avoid those less than 4mm left already coz not much life in it anymore. Carefully also check if the treads had been recut to give the impression as of the treads are still thick while its' actually not! Observe also that it's not retreaded/vulcanized tires.
4. Check the mounting lip of the tires which would seal the tires with the rims. It must still be shinny smooth and no cracks/chipping off or else you'd get leaking.
5. Check the sidewall, already got cracks or not.

If all the above checks are still ok then the tires should still be safe to use. Contrary to most opinions here, used tire is actually not too bad as long as you know how to choose and carefully inspect them as I mentioned above when buying one. Most people avoid because they just simply don't know how to check/lack of knowledge, similar like people who avoid used cars. IMHO it's better to buy used tires but still in excellent condition from top proven brands (Michelin, Goodyear, Continental, Pirelli, Dunlop, Bridgestone etc2.) rather than buying shit cheapo tires from China/Vietnam or whatever unknown low class brands. I personally have bought used tires before (for example Bridgestone Potenza) and drove them hard until totally finished without any issues whatsoever and they still perform very well as expected. In fact I'm on a used tire as well now, comes together with 2nd hand rims that I bought. It's Goodyear F1A2 made in Germany production year 15/16 and I can tell you, they still perform beautifully with excellent grip, low noise and no vibrations and surely can still out perform most new tires of today not to mention any of those shit low class China or whatever brands!
acbc
post Nov 17 2017, 04:39 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,476 posts

Don't.

If no budget, buy cheap unbranded tires. As long not retreads, ok.
speedy3210
post Nov 17 2017, 08:47 PM

Casual
451 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Nov 17 2017, 04:37 PM)
Carefully:
1. Observe the manufacturing date, better not get any older than 2 yrs old tires.
2. Check the inside, are all the inside wall lining and belt patterns still looks clean, no cracks and no punctures. If got signs of cracks or repaired punctures then avoid.
3. Check the treads, already got cracks or not, and are they worn out evenly. How deep still left, the thicker the better and probably avoid those less than 4mm left already coz not much life in it anymore. Carefully also check if the treads had been recut to give the impression as of the treads are still thick while its' actually not! Observe also that it's not retreaded/vulcanized tires.
4. Check the mounting lip of the tires which would seal the tires with the rims. It must still be shinny smooth and no cracks/chipping off or else you'd get leaking.
5. Check the sidewall, already got cracks or not.

If all the above checks are still ok then the tires should still be safe to use. Contrary to most opinions here, used tire is actually not too bad as long as you know how to choose and carefully inspect them as I mentioned above when buying one. Most people avoid because they just simply don't know how to check/lack of knowledge, similar like people who avoid used cars. IMHO it's better to buy used tires but still in excellent condition from top proven brands (Michelin, Goodyear, Continental, Pirelli, Dunlop, Bridgestone etc2.) rather than buying shit cheapo tires from China/Vietnam or whatever unknown low class brands. I personally have bought used tires before (for example Bridgestone Potenza) and drove them hard until totally finished without any issues whatsoever and they still perform very well as expected. In fact I'm on a used tire as well now, comes together with 2nd hand rims that I bought. It's Goodyear F1A2 made in Germany production year 15/16 and I can tell you, they still perform beautifully with excellent grip, low noise and no vibrations and surely can still out perform most new tires of today not to mention any of those shit low class China or whatever brands!
thumbup.gif .... rather than asking him to avoid used tyres and most possibly he driving on with his botak tyres, this is great piece of advise.

6UE5T
post Nov 17 2017, 09:56 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(speedy3210 @ Nov 17 2017, 08:47 PM)
thumbup.gif .... rather than asking him to avoid used tyres and most possibly he driving on with his botak tyres, this is great piece of advise.
Just telling the truth based on real facts and experiences, not paranoia like most uninformed/misinformed people. smile.gif
TSknwong
post Nov 17 2017, 10:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,952 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Nov 17 2017, 09:56 PM)
Just telling the truth based on real facts and experiences, not paranoia like most uninformed/misinformed people.  smile.gif
Thank you for the wise sharing. There's a reason why this thread is started - which is to gather invaluable info before a decision being made.
da drummer
post Nov 21 2017, 12:44 PM

:)
808 posts

last time i buy second hand tyre..atr sport maybe...less than 1 month..bengkak...so sir..pls check the tyre condition as stated forumer here...good day bro
6UE5T
post Nov 21 2017, 12:57 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(da drummer @ Nov 21 2017, 12:44 PM)
last time i buy second hand tyre..atr sport maybe...less than 1 month..bengkak...so sir..pls check the tyre condition as stated forumer here...good day bro
ATR Sport is not that good tires, so no surprise. laugh.gif But yeah, as I said above, you must know how to select properly otherwise just buy new ones (even new ones also can have defects, especially those crap cheapo brands). Same case like buying cars, if know how to check used car condition then can buy used ones but if not much knowledge then just buy new ones. smile.gif
da drummer
post Nov 21 2017, 01:03 PM

:)
808 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Nov 21 2017, 12:57 PM)
ATR Sport is not that good tires, so no surprise.  laugh.gif  But yeah, as I said above, you must know how to select properly otherwise just buy new ones (even new ones also can have defects, especially those crap cheapo brands). Same case like buying cars, if know how to check used car condition then can buy used ones but if not much knowledge then just buy new ones.  smile.gif
agreed...atr sport 4 piece rm400..i was desprate that time...later i change to eagle f1d5...now budget low..so change to dunlop d05...quiet good
6UE5T
post Nov 30 2017, 11:50 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(knwong @ Nov 17 2017, 10:06 PM)
Thank you for the wise sharing. There's a reason why this thread is started - which is to gather invaluable info before a decision being made.
A good video about how to choose used tires plus some important points too like avoid those cheapo shit China tires!

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0126sec    0.25    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:33 PM