Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

2-way vs 3-way coaxial speakers, Which is better

views

TSa_dot_el
post Nov 15 2017, 01:12 PM, updated 7y ago

Getting Started
155 posts

Hi.. I am looking for budget speaker upgrade..

So currently I am looking around and trying to decide between this two type.

My car have 6 speaker location, 4 6.5inch and 2 tweeter.

I decide to reuse the tweeter and most shop I ask they can't fit tweeter into the ori space (or they lack the skill).

On the 4 6.5inch full range speaker, I am deciding between 2 way or 3 way.

Any opinion on 2 way and 3 way coaxial speakers?

Some shop told me that 3 way will sound very harsh, while some say 3 way will bring out more music than 2 way.

Searching on the internet shows all sort of opinion about this.

naveenkalai7
post Nov 15 2017, 03:43 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

What car you drives bro?

i would say, its depends on the tuner/installer to get the best sound regardless of which type of speakers..

Seen some jap cars using component set which tweeter sits nicely on oem tweeter's place..

Common setup will be 2 way comp for front and a 2way coaxial for rear..
Audio Master
post Nov 16 2017, 05:03 PM

0 posts

if ure looking for coax, just go for 2 way... 3 way coax will be very hard... if u play 3 way component... then thats fantastic sound produce... but 3 way component is a killer... nvr come cheap... n u need custom make pillar... additional amp! total cost is BOOM
TSa_dot_el
post Nov 17 2017, 10:41 AM

Getting Started
155 posts

QUOTE(Audio Master @ Nov 16 2017, 05:03 PM)
if ure looking for coax, just go for 2 way... 3 way coax will be very hard... if u play 3 way component... then thats fantastic sound produce... but 3 way component is a killer... nvr come cheap... n u need custom make pillar... additional amp! total cost is BOOM
Thanks for the advice. I guess I will stick with 2 way coaxial.

Now I was wondering if the crossover is in the dash tweeter or door speaker (front)? Coz if there is a crossover at the dash tweeter (Nissan Murano) then it is pointless for me to change the front door speaker to coax as there will be no high frequency routed there.

Guess I have to take out both to take a look.
naveenkalai7
post Nov 17 2017, 03:38 PM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(a_dot_el @ Nov 17 2017, 10:41 AM)
Thanks for the advice. I guess I will stick with 2 way coaxial.

Now I was wondering if the crossover is in the dash tweeter or door speaker (front)? Coz if there is a crossover at the dash tweeter (Nissan Murano) then it is pointless for me to change the front door speaker to coax as there will be no high frequency routed there.

Guess I have to take out both to take a look.
Component comes with external crossover bro.. usually will installed it under the dash or whichever convenient space to hide it.. and most of the tweeters are in universal size so should not be an issue for ur car bro..

happy hunting cheers.gif
6UE5T
post Nov 17 2017, 05:19 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(a_dot_el @ Nov 15 2017, 01:12 PM)
Hi.. I am looking for budget speaker upgrade..

So currently I am looking around and trying to decide between this two type.

My car have 6 speaker location, 4 6.5inch and 2 tweeter.

I decide to reuse the tweeter and most shop I ask they can't fit tweeter into the ori space (or they lack the skill).

On the 4 6.5inch full range speaker, I am deciding between 2 way or 3 way.

Any opinion on 2 way and 3 way coaxial speakers?

Some shop told me that 3 way will sound very harsh, while some say 3 way will bring out more music than 2 way.

Searching on the internet shows all sort of opinion about this.
Focus your budget more towards the front coz the front is the main source of sound to produce good imaging/sound staging while the rear is just for ambiance fill. So my suggestion is just leave the rear speakers as they are now and change the front with split component sets, a 2 way is sufficient, or if your original tweeter is still good then buy a 6.5' single cone bass/mid range speaker with cross over to pair with your 2 tweeters.
TSa_dot_el
post Nov 23 2017, 12:49 PM

Getting Started
155 posts

Ok I have checked the HU spec. It says 2ohm to 4 ohm, 45watt x4.

So can I drive 3ohm speaker at the front, and 4 ohm at back. Or I should use all same ohm for all 4 speaker?
TSa_dot_el
post Nov 23 2017, 12:51 PM

Getting Started
155 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Nov 17 2017, 05:19 PM)
Focus your budget more towards the front coz the front is the main source of sound to produce good imaging/sound staging while the rear is just for ambiance fill. So my suggestion is just leave the rear speakers as they are now and change the front with split component sets, a 2 way is sufficient, or if your original tweeter is still good then buy a 6.5' single cone bass/mid range speaker with cross over to pair with your 2 tweeters.

So can I drive 3ohm speaker at the front, and 4 ohm at back. Or I should use all same ohm for all 4 speaker?

Reason I ask, is that I wanted to try out this Infinity speaker, and it is rated at 3ohm. So I am afraid it will damage my HU if I have a mismatch impedance for front and back speaker. Ori speaker is 4ohm.
6UE5T
post Nov 23 2017, 04:01 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(a_dot_el @ Nov 23 2017, 12:51 PM)

Reason I ask, is that I wanted to try out this Infinity speaker, and it is rated at 3ohm. So I am afraid it will damage my HU if I have a mismatch impedance for front and back speaker.  Ori speaker is 4ohm.
To be safe better stay with 4 ohm speakers. But are you sure that Infinity speakers are 3 ohm only?? Quite rare speakers below 4 ohm unless they are subwoofers which usually driven by dedicated power amps that can handle low impedance loads.
TSa_dot_el
post Nov 24 2017, 11:32 AM

Getting Started
155 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Nov 23 2017, 04:01 PM)
To be safe better stay with 4 ohm speakers. But are you sure that Infinity speakers are 3 ohm only?? Quite rare speakers below 4 ohm unless they are subwoofers which usually driven by dedicated power amps that can handle low impedance loads.
Infinity Speaker

General Specifications

Description
6-1/2" (160mm) shallow-mount coaxial car speaker

Power Handling
55W RMS, 165W peak

Sensitivity (@ 2.83V)
93dB

Frequency Response
57Hz – 21kHz

Impedance
3.0 ohms
6UE5T
post Nov 24 2017, 06:41 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(a_dot_el @ Nov 24 2017, 11:32 AM)
Infinity Speaker

General Specifications

Description
6-1/2" (160mm) shallow-mount coaxial car speaker

Power Handling
55W RMS, 165W peak

Sensitivity (@ 2.83V)
93dB

Frequency Response
57Hz – 21kHz

Impedance
3.0 ohms
Hmm Ic, then that speaker should sound louder than most other speakers so should be nice. But if I were you, I'd drive them with a separate power amp to be safe and to maximize its capability. The power rating is also pretty high. Speakers driven direct by HU normally are just normal speakers with 4ohm rating and lower power, so I dare not say if can or cannot use direct with this Infinity.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0130sec    0.21    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:46 PM