Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Is it naive to want to buy a new manual car?

views

TSSKisaGooner
post Nov 8 2017, 03:31 PM, updated 7y ago

Getting Started
90 posts

I've been driving manual for several years now and I enjoy it despite what people might say about it (troublesome during jam, etc). Most of all, I enjoy the novelty of driving a manual.

My question is, is it naive to want to buy a new manual car? I've always rationalise driving manual by thinking that it's more fuel efficient compared to automatic. Is this still the case?

The cars that I'm considering is one of the new Myvis that's released today, and the 2016 Toyota Vios 1.5J MT.
THE CLASS OF 13
post Nov 8 2017, 03:33 PM

Getting Started
170 posts

QUOTE(SKisaGooner @ Nov 8 2017, 03:31 PM)
I've been driving manual for several years now and I enjoy it despite what people might say about it (troublesome during jam, etc). Most of all, I enjoy the novelty of driving a manual.

My question is, is it naive to want to buy a new manual car? I've always rationalise driving manual by thinking that it's more fuel efficient compared to automatic. Is this still the case?

The cars that I'm considering is one of the new Myvis that's released today, and the 2016 Toyota Vios 1.5J MT.
not sure la but isnt j mt variant use old engine? only the cvt one have 2nr engine
6UE5T
post Nov 8 2017, 03:37 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

No it's not naïve. I actually miss driving manual cars and feel kinda bored driving auto cars for over 5 yrs now. But manual it's not more fuel efficient anymore than auto, that's already very old story and nowadays auto car are already much more advanced and able to be even more efficient than manual drivers. The positive things about driving manual are only these now:
- more fun/involved as you're fully in control of the car.
- the car is simpler with manual transmission as it doesn't need as much electronics.
- can still jump start by pushing it in case you suddenly run out of battery! laugh.gif
dirtrun
post Nov 8 2017, 03:40 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,136 posts

When..

Stuck in a bad jam, n u dont mind stepping on d clutch every 2 seconds then by all means get it..
suri
post Nov 8 2017, 04:12 PM

Getting Started
112 posts

If you use the car to get to work, stuck in traffic jam at least 1 hour each day, then it might not be a very good idea.

For second/weekend car, should be okay. Or if you're traveling on non-peak hour time, then should be okay.
Deja Vu
post Nov 8 2017, 04:15 PM

Regular
1,851 posts

As both a manual and auto car owner, I'd say the days perceiving that a manual is more fuel efficient than auto's are sadly numbered.

Aside from being slightly less convenient in traffic jams where more and more motorists are experiencing, the bigger blow to the hand-rower are the already small handful of these car dealers/agents placing them as 'budget basement' of the range, omitting quite a lot features that are often standard in today's market.

So I guess the likely possible future for this variant is in the niche hardy (commercial or heavy use vehicle, eg. trucks and 4x4 pickups) or sporty segment (e.g. the new coming Civic Type R).

This post has been edited by Deja Vu: Nov 8 2017, 04:18 PM
zeng
post Nov 8 2017, 04:17 PM

Regular
1,760 posts

10 years ago I converted my wira from manual to auto and regreted doing so, as I missed the fun of driving a manual.
Subconsciouly, I 'hoped' at times my auto-trans konked out, so that I have good excuse to get back to manual. bangwall.gif
speedy3210
post Nov 8 2017, 06:46 PM

Casual
451 posts

been driving mt even b4 getting my lesen. even now still is. and having driven from pj-sg.wang and shah alam-sg.wang for 15yrs in 2 mt cars, still no regret.

in fact i felt more tiring driving at car during jam coz my reflexes are built on mt, so don't know how to relax during driving at car.

but if i were to choose, i will skip buying cars for now until the mass adoption of autonomous driving vehicle. until then mt car all the way unless it gives up on me.
constant_weight
post Nov 8 2017, 07:22 PM

Enthusiast
856 posts

Sadly, in Malaysia it is either lowest end entry level spec or performance hot hatch. That is nothing in between.

You have lowest spec Proton/Perodua/J Vios vs 86, BRZ, Civic Type-R, 208 GTi, Megane RS etc. Hopefully Hyundai bring in i30N soon.

Not everyone can afford a 911, although it is another option.
xemoboyx
post Nov 8 2017, 07:27 PM

Getting Started
109 posts

QUOTE(constant_weight @ Nov 8 2017, 07:22 PM)
Sadly, in Malaysia it is either lowest end entry level spec or performance hot hatch. That is nothing in between.

You have lowest spec Proton/Perodua/J Vios vs 86, BRZ, Civic Type-R, 208 GTi, Megane RS etc. Hopefully Hyundai bring in i30N soon. 

Not everyone can afford a 911, although it is another option.
true till a certain point... you can still get bmw,mercedes,audi and other german marques in manual if you are willing to get 1 from the grey market
Jessieccy
post Nov 8 2017, 09:52 PM

Getting Started
160 posts

Its not naive, its your car, its your leg, its your thrill of driving.
The only problem is, how bad is the traffic and could you live with it? Last thing is, there is really SMALL models out there for you to pick. its either very cheap or super expensive.
One bonus is, there is a high chance no one will borrow your car or want to steal it.
TOMEI-R
post Nov 8 2017, 10:00 PM

Extraordinaire
All Stars
23,591 posts

You have another option which is the almera that do come in manual variants.
acbc
post Nov 8 2017, 10:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,476 posts

6AT or more more fuel efficient than 5MT. Heck, even AMT and DSG more fuel efficient than MT. Only problem is higher chances of breakdown.
zero5177
post Nov 8 2017, 10:08 PM

Sixth Sense Unlocked
1,359 posts

Nothing is wrong with that, you just have to know what are the risks u're looking at such as:
1. Not much people can help u drive your car
2. Reselling the car could be hard and lower resale value

Talking about good MT, u should consider Proton as their MT is sourced by Getrag, they are really smooth and comfortable to drive with.
New Myvi not sure, but I can foresee their MT wasn't made as good as Proton's

This post has been edited by zero5177: Nov 8 2017, 10:09 PM
eddievh
post Nov 8 2017, 10:24 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,060 posts

QUOTE(zero5177 @ Nov 8 2017, 10:08 PM)
Nothing is wrong with that, you just have to know what are the risks u're looking at such as:
1. Not much people can help u drive your car
2. Reselling the car could be hard and lower resale value

Talking about good MT, u should consider Proton as their MT is sourced by Getrag, they are really smooth and comfortable to drive with.
New Myvi not sure, but I can foresee their MT wasn't made as good as Proton's
Getrag got sucks clutch slave cylinder, leak need to drop gearbox extremely expensive workmanship.
zero5177
post Nov 8 2017, 10:37 PM

Sixth Sense Unlocked
1,359 posts

QUOTE(eddievh @ Nov 8 2017, 10:24 PM)
Getrag got sucks clutch slave cylinder, leak need to drop gearbox extremely expensive workmanship.
So far I don't see any complaint regarding Proton's getrag unit suffer clutch slave cylinder leak from online, mostly
are happening on Inspira which is not sourced from Getrag... mind to share where u got this experience?

eddievh
post Nov 8 2017, 10:44 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,060 posts

QUOTE(zero5177 @ Nov 8 2017, 10:37 PM)
So far I don't see any complaint regarding Proton's getrag unit suffer clutch slave cylinder leak from online, mostly
are happening on Inspira which is not sourced from Getrag...  mind to share where u got this experience?
In Facebook flx club page,many already confirm need to drop gearbox because the pump is at centre of gear box unlike aichi kikai pump is at outside.
zero5177
post Nov 8 2017, 10:46 PM

Sixth Sense Unlocked
1,359 posts

QUOTE(eddievh @ Nov 8 2017, 10:44 PM)
In Facebook flx club page,many already confirm need to drop gearbox because the pump is at centre of gear box unlike aichi kikai pump is at outside.
I see.. yeah I didn't go to FB page so my reach is just within forums sweat.gif

How about Iriz and Persona? They appear to have slightly different gearbox ratio as opposed to Saga FLX, different clutching and shorter too
eddievh
post Nov 8 2017, 10:52 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,060 posts

QUOTE(zero5177 @ Nov 8 2017, 10:46 PM)
I see.. yeah I didn't go to FB page so my reach is just within forums  sweat.gif

How about Iriz and Persona? They appear to have slightly different gearbox ratio as opposed to Saga FLX, different clutching and shorter too
Not sure iriz uses what manual tranny but persona use Mitsubishi gb.. https://m.facebook.com/santonggarage/posts/1660772710831918
zero5177
post Nov 8 2017, 10:56 PM

Sixth Sense Unlocked
1,359 posts

QUOTE(eddievh @ Nov 8 2017, 10:52 PM)
Not sure iriz uses what manual tranny but persona use Mitsubishi gb.. https://m.facebook.com/santonggarage/posts/1660772710831918
Oh sorry, I mean the New Persona based from Iriz which also use Getrag GB, but the clutch feel&engagement is different too compared to FLX and so far never hear any news about it leaking yet... (unless its in FB too)

6 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0183sec    0.44    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:52 PM