Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> What drive your decision when select course?

gohvk
post Nov 12 2017, 10:45 PM

Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(kidmad @ Nov 10 2017, 11:24 AM)
CHEAPEST and QUICKEST so that i could get out earlier.

On top of that it must be a pretty good University la of course.
Haha, what defines a good university for you?

Btw, im graduate from Taylor's. So far I feel that I'm quite competitive compare with others in my field. Even I changes few companies previously, I also happened to bump into my course senior & junior few times.
Username is for the weak
post Nov 13 2017, 04:06 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(firefoxian @ Nov 10 2017, 03:50 AM)
It depends on various of things. As for myself, my dad wanted me to study medicine at local uni. But then I got a full scholarship for German engineering. I am a realist and opportunist. I would take up any offer that is worth taking.

Just like this full scholarship. Sponsors are even willing to sponsor me for my master's.

So even if it means not pursuing what I was really interested in at the first place, but I will just do it.
Hah i think i ve just found someone in the same programme as mine
Whr r u studying now
gohvk
post Nov 13 2017, 10:19 PM

QUOTE(Username is for the weak @ Nov 9 2017, 07:36 AM)
I'm poor af

So I don't have much choice but to study whatever I can under a full scholarship

N here I'm doing mech. engineering now

Then I find out many of us end up here doing engineering due to the same reason too

Beggars can't be choosers eh?

I still remember my dream as a child was to be a doctor tho, seems like I can't beat my poor af fate completely
doctor and mech. engineering are quite contrasting tho
few of my secondary school friends also from mech. engineering, 2 from local uni.

you are study in private U or local U? but result must be very good in order to get full scholarship
gohvk
post Nov 13 2017, 10:28 PM

QUOTE(internaldisputes @ Nov 9 2017, 09:04 AM)
i'm the type of person who can benefit from some parental pressure i think because i've quit studying medic in russia and barely passed my architecture degree. sweat.gif now i'm working in customer service.
what a waste!!!!
never think of continue your LAM part 2?

my childhood ambition was to be a qualified Ar.
End out I graduate as interior architecture in Taylor's only haha... in other word, just interior designer.

Username is for the weak
post Nov 14 2017, 12:02 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(gohvk @ Nov 13 2017, 10:19 PM)
doctor and mech. engineering are quite contrasting tho
few of my secondary school friends also from mech. engineering, 2 from local uni.

you are study in private U or local U? but result must be very good in order to get full scholarship
Yea ikr sweat.gif

Damn if there really is reincarnation im gonna try doctor in my next life

Studying in a German university with JPA scolarship
gohvk
post Nov 15 2017, 12:04 AM

QUOTE(yellowpika @ Nov 9 2017, 10:09 PM)
Let me share my story here(a bit long, hope you guys don't mind).

Around 2 years ago, after finishing my STPM, I actually wanted to pursue Pharmacy(in a local private uni of course, since it's almost impossible to get into Pharmacy in a local public uni).
At that time, there were some people around me who told me that there would be an oversupply in Pharmacy graduates by the time I graduate, and hence it would be difficult for me to secure a job after graduating(well, I think this information also made it into the newspapers if I'm not mistaken).

Problem is, I didn't really knew what to study after my STPM aside from Pharmacy, as I never really had any interest/ambition in anything. sweat.gif

But after working in a retail job for 8 months(post-STPM), I realized that dealing with customers wasn't exactly something that I would enjoy doing for the rest of my life. Coincidentally, about 1 week before the orientation for the Pharmacy course in the local private uni that I've already applied for, I received an offer to do Materials Science in a relatively prestigious local public uni.

I asked my dad: "What should I do? Should I pick Pharmacy or Materials Science?". My dad told me that this is a choice that I have to make on my own. He told me he would support and respect my decision no matter what I chose.

In the end, I chose to study Materials Science. It was quite an easy decision to make(took me one day to make that decision though), as I already knew that I don't like dealing with customers, which was the job nature of most pharmacists. I think the cheap fees and the reputation of the uni were also the pull factors for me to make that decision at that time, too.

Now I'm in my 3rd year of my course, and I can say I'm doing okay in this course(CGPA slightly above 3.0), even though this course is mostly Physics based and not Chemistry based, and I never had any pre-u Physics basics since I was from the Biology stream during my STPM.
Maybe I could score in this course easily as this course mostly just requires lots of memorization, I don't know..

As for career prospects, I've told myself that if I can't get a job with this degree, I would probably just do postgraduate and become a lecturer afterwards...
(My dream is to become a scientist for now)

So yeah, I guess I'm fortunate that my parents never really forced me to choose my courses. laugh.gif
Glad to hear that you have a good parent and you doing well in what you have choose rclxms.gif
Yes, sometime there were some people or aunties uncles told you that this over supply, that industry is going down.
that also will affect your decision to choose course as well. even worse that might affect your parent decision as well.
Not even course, sometime they will tell you this uni no good, that uni no good as well. like they are going to pay your tuition fees

Anyway, did you have any idea what material science about before you enrolled?
so I guess your interest towards this course grew after you study?
gohvk
post Nov 15 2017, 12:09 AM

QUOTE(mystalyzer @ Nov 10 2017, 03:40 AM)
they didn't influence me at all partly because they don't want to be responsible if I messed up my life. i got a PTPTN loan and paid for my education fees and my living costs all by myself.

yes, these days playing games can be millionaire but the competition is very high and really need to be extremely good to make a living from it. i wasn't that good so i know that's not practical for me.
So apart from course, you also choose the uni on your own?
but most of the parent never think that would messed up their children life, they will always think they will make better choice as they "eat salt more than you eat rice" grin.gif

haha, yeah my friend used to be top dota team when he was in uni. but when he took part in a competition held by others outside, we lost the game upside down and straight away gave up on that game LOL
mystalyzer
post Nov 15 2017, 05:44 AM

QUOTE(gohvk @ Nov 15 2017, 12:09 AM)
So apart from course, you also choose the uni on your own?
but most of the parent never think that would messed up their children life, they will always think they will make better choice as they "eat salt more than you eat rice" grin.gif

haha, yeah my friend used to be top dota team when he was in uni. but when he took part in a competition held by others outside, we lost the game upside down and straight away gave up on that game LOL
yes, i also choose uni on my own. i think if the person makes a reasonable and practical choice, parents usually will not object.
myvi_dog
post Yesterday, 05:09 PM

QUOTE(gohvk @ Nov 7 2017, 11:23 PM)
Last week i just fetch my sis in law & my nephew to collage for enrolling
i'm still surprising that the millenniums' parent still controlling their children decision?

let's do a survey here, what drive your decision when you selecting your course?
last time i was choosing base on my own preference.
although my parent was hoping i can study in engineering. but i still proceed to my first choice, interior architecture.
It's just because i prefer drawing than calculation  icon_rolleyes.gif

looking back at my decision, i feel i'm doing good today
my parent was trying to decide for me last time, but at last my parent was convinced. so I'm able to choose my dream to be an engineer at the end.
myvi_dog
post Yesterday, 05:10 PM

QUOTE(gohvk @ Nov 8 2017, 03:02 PM)
this is sad, but true. most of the Asian parent paid their children tertiary education bill.
i think that also majority importance of others. we are too emphasize on grades.
one of the reason my parent was convinced also because I promised to bare part of my tuition fees myself also.
gohvk
post Today, 05:44 PM

QUOTE(firefoxian @ Nov 10 2017, 03:50 AM)
It depends on various of things. As for myself, my dad wanted me to study medicine at local uni. But then I got a full scholarship for German engineering. I am a realist and opportunist. I would take up any offer that is worth taking.

Just like this full scholarship. Sponsors are even willing to sponsor me for my master's.

So even if it means not pursuing what I was really interested in at the first place, but I will just do it.
but are you interested with medic?
you study STPM? only STPM result holder can apply local U medic right?
gohvk
post Today, 05:48 PM

QUOTE(kidmad @ Nov 10 2017, 11:24 AM)
CHEAPEST and QUICKEST so that i could get out earlier.

On top of that it must be a pretty good University la of course.
haha, how to define a pretty good university?

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0877sec    5.98    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th November 2017 - 09:24 PM