Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages  1 2 3 > » Bottom
Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Renology - Alan Lee CS, Anybody having issues with him?

cybermaster98
post Nov 6 2017, 11:18 PM, updated 6d ago

Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

I engaged Alan in May this year after listening to some good feedback here on LYN. His quotation was also the lowest among 6 contractors which I surveyed. I made the advance payment of 15% on 15 May 2017. Since then work has proceeded reasonably well. Alan has also been quite helpful and had most of the criteria you would want in a contractor.

But over the past 2 months, his work progress deteriorated. His workers work on and off. Sometimes only 1 or 2 guys at the unit. Sometimes no work at all. Other days he only starts after lunch thus losing half day of work. And now since last Friday 3 Nov 2017, he has gone completely AWOL. No workers at my unit and his handphone is completely switched off. He is supposed to finish my current condo unit by this Friday 10 Nov and start work on my 2nd unit on 13 Nov 2017. Looks like this won't happen.

Now im hearing that some of you have also had bad experiences with Alan in the past. So I would appreciate if you could share your experience, timelines and what you did to overcome the problem. I think that would help me (and others) in our next course of action.

This post has been edited by cybermaster98: Nov 6 2017, 11:19 PM
ju146
post Nov 7 2017, 12:03 AM

Regular

We had the same situation, but mine eventually delivered but late of 1-2 months

cybermaster98
post Nov 7 2017, 12:19 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(ju146 @ Nov 7 2017, 12:03 AM)
We had the same situation, but mine eventually delivered but late of 1-2 months
When did this happen?
ju146
post Nov 7 2017, 09:50 AM

Regular

QUOTE(cybermaster98 @ Nov 7 2017, 12:19 AM)
When did this happen?
it was March till June this year...
cybermaster98
post Nov 7 2017, 10:22 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(ju146 @ Nov 7 2017, 09:50 AM)
it was March till June this year...
Damn so he was already having this problems from early this year before I engaged him. vmad.gif
kinyew89
post Nov 7 2017, 10:26 AM

Group: Newbie

QUOTE(cybermaster98 @ Nov 7 2017, 10:22 AM)
Damn so he was already having this problems from early this year before I engaged him.  vmad.gif
Hi Cybermaster

I am also having trouble getting him and he is suppose to start work on my house today! sad.gif how was his workmanship but I guess its too late to ask now tongue.gif
kinyew89
post Nov 7 2017, 10:28 AM

Do anyone know of a reliable contractor from your experience?
cybermaster98
post Nov 7 2017, 10:35 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(kinyew89 @ Nov 7 2017, 10:26 AM)
Hi Cybermaster

I am also having trouble getting him and he is suppose to start work on my house today! sad.gif  how was his workmanship but I guess its too late to ask now tongue.gif
What's your reno cost and where are you located may I know?

His work quality is fine and he is quite knowledgeable in various aspects. His biggest problem is his lack of manpower and his time management. He doesn't know how to estimate work durations and he doesn't include any buffer for unforseen circumstances. He takes on too much of work which he shouldn't because his manpower is not sufficient. He keeps moving his 2-4 works around each project site every few days. You will never get workers working on your site continuously on a daily basis.

I gave him 3 units to work on and all 3 are badly delayed. Yet he is taking on more work despite knowing he doesn't have sufficient manpower.
rubrubrub
post Nov 7 2017, 10:48 AM

global warming is real, stupid.

QUOTE(cybermaster98 @ Nov 7 2017, 10:35 AM)

His work quality is fine and he is quite knowledgeable in various aspects. His biggest problem is his lack of manpower and his time management. He doesn't know how to estimate work durations and he doesn't include any buffer for unforseen circumstances. He takes on too much of work which he shouldn't because his manpower is not sufficient. He keeps moving his 2-4 works around each project site every few days. You will never get workers working on your site continuously on a daily basis.

I gave him 3 units to work on and all 3 are badly delayed. Yet he is taking on more work despite knowing he doesn't have sufficient manpower.
cheap what. so quantity work to support income instead of quality
kinyew89
post Nov 7 2017, 10:50 AM

QUOTE(cybermaster98 @ Nov 7 2017, 10:35 AM)

Fortunately I have not paid him the deposit first but it must suck to find another contractor to resume the work sad.gif His reno cost is also the cheapest and mine was around 37K. He does struck me as a knowledgeable person but I do have difficulty contacting him always. The last message I got from him is he was back from Holidays. Have you tried contact him today?
cybermaster98
post Nov 7 2017, 11:02 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(kinyew89 @ Nov 7 2017, 10:50 AM)
Fortunately I have not paid him the deposit first but it must suck to find another contractor to resume the work  sad.gif  His reno cost is also the cheapest and mine was around 37K. He does struck me as a knowledgeable person but I do have difficulty contacting him always. The last message I got from him is he was back from Holidays. Have you tried contact him today?
His hp has been off since Fri 12 noon. Now still off. But I heard from his workers that he was at my unit last night. So he isn't sick or anything. Just purposely keeping his hp off to avoid ppl chasing him.

Make sure you have Whatsap chats with him. Always have documented discussions with him. Not verbal.
kinyew89
post Nov 7 2017, 11:15 AM

QUOTE(cybermaster98 @ Nov 7 2017, 11:02 AM)
His hp has been off since Fri 12 noon. Now still off. But I heard from his workers that he was at my unit last night. So he isn't sick or anything. Just purposely keeping his hp off to avoid ppl chasing him.

Make sure you have Whatsap chats with him. Always have documented discussions with him. Not verbal.
Yeah will keep some as you said. thumbsup.gif Lol at least if he has gone missing from renovating my house means I know he is doing yours tongue.gif

Now I have a problem in finding a new contractor. Do you have anyone else to recommend icon_question.gif

truelife
post Nov 7 2017, 11:57 AM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(cybermaster98 @ Nov 6 2017, 11:18 PM)
But over the past 2 months, his work progress deteriorated. His workers work on and off. Sometimes only 1 or 2 guys at the unit. Sometimes no work at all. Other days he only starts after lunch thus losing half day of work. And now since last Friday 3 Nov 2017, he has gone completely AWOL. No workers at my unit and his handphone is completely switched off. He is supposed to finish my current condo unit by this Friday 10 Nov and start work on my 2nd unit on 13 Nov 2017. Looks like this won't happen.
I would like to know more about your renovation. You mentioned that the completion date as per contract is 10 Nov. When did the contractor start work for your current condo? How many % of payment have you paid so far?
truelife
post Nov 7 2017, 11:58 AM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(kinyew89 @ Nov 7 2017, 10:50 AM)
Fortunately I have not paid him the deposit first but it must suck to find another contractor to resume the work  sad.gif  His reno cost is also the cheapest and mine was around 37K. He does struck me as a knowledgeable person but I do have difficulty contacting him always. The last message I got from him is he was back from Holidays. Have you tried contact him today?
Since you have not paid any deposit to him, has he started work yet?
kinyew89
post Nov 7 2017, 12:51 PM

I just got a message from him saying that he got some personal issues need to solve so need to defer the construction date.

He has not started the work yet cause I told him beforehand he has to commence work first before I would pay the deposit.

Truelife you have also engage with him?
cybermaster98
post Nov 7 2017, 01:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(truelife @ Nov 7 2017, 11:57 AM)
I would like to know more about your renovation. You mentioned that the completion date as per contract is 10 Nov. When did the contractor start work for your current condo? How many % of payment have you paid so far?
Completion date as per contract was sometime in July. 10 Nov is the latest agreed date after discussions. The earlier delays were mostly caused by me (e.g additional scope, change of paint colors, change in design of feature wall and waiting for Feruni tile stock to come). But ever since 12 Oct there were no more delays on my end. I think the work he has accomplished in the last 4 weeks could have been done in just 1 week. That's how bad his productivity has been.

He has a bad habit of throwing dates without considering his actual productivity so most of the dates end up getting pushed back over n over again thus causing a domino effect of delays.

To date ive paid about 50% of the total quote. This is inline with the work that has been done. Major scope remaining is the built in wardrobes, feature wall tiling works and some other smaller scope. He can easily complete all of this in about 10 days.
cybermaster98
post Nov 7 2017, 01:01 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(kinyew89 @ Nov 7 2017, 12:51 PM)
I just got a message from him saying that he got some personal issues need to solve so need to defer the construction date.

He has not started the work yet cause I told him beforehand he has to commence work first before I would pay the deposit.

Truelife you have also engage with him?
Yes he switched on his hp now. But pls don't tell him about our discussion on LYN. We need to work together and not cause any problems to the rest of us. But my personal advise to you is not to engage him. Im not going to let him do my 2nd unit. So ill probably be looking at another contractor. Cannot risk it with him.

This post has been edited by cybermaster98: Nov 7 2017, 01:03 PM
cybermaster98
post Nov 7 2017, 01:16 PM

Look at all my stars!!

His excuse to me was that he overworked himself and was sick so he switched off his hp to rest. Somehow I don't believe this. This isn't the first time he disappeared because of a 'health' reason. I think these are all excuses to move his workers to other locations.
ju146
post Nov 7 2017, 01:25 PM

Regular

QUOTE(cybermaster98 @ Nov 7 2017, 01:16 PM)
His excuse to me was that he overworked himself and was sick so he switched off his hp to rest. Somehow I don't believe this. This isn't the first time he disappeared because of a 'health' reason. I think these are all excuses to move his workers to other locations.
Guess what, the same reason gave to me and my friend before. LOL, he must be very unhealthy
cybermaster98
post Nov 7 2017, 01:27 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(ju146 @ Nov 7 2017, 01:25 PM)
Guess what, the same reason gave to me and my friend before. LOL, he must be very unhealthy
Not surprised. But 2 weeks ago he told me he was busy at JPJ because he bought a Lexus. How stressful can it be if ure busy buying cars?

5 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0735sec    3.70    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 22nd January 2018 - 10:33 PM