Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Cats Dying Silent Death, What could have killed them?

views

TSnewsreadr7
post Oct 17 2017, 09:08 PM, updated 7y ago

11 posts

Hello sifus,

My apology for putting up this post should it is not in the approp board.

Since 3 weeks ago our cats perished one after another. My family couldn't tell whats killing the cats. The only obvious signs they show are vomiting, and later they reside (being passive) and after a few days of 'not active' (refuse to eat and drink) they would die. We couldn't check their urine or their poop to tell what was wrong. But we suspect them being poisoned, because during the day our feline would roam the neighbourhood. They would ony return for meal time. Night time they would stay at home.

Before they die they didn't make much meowing sound, or much struggling (convulsive/repulsive, and the likes), while they lay helpless and breathing. Some of the cats would die overnight after suffering such strange 'ordeal'.

If they are poisoned, what could the poison be - rat poison? weedicide? Or, should we suspect rabies or lepto?

Can sifus here enlighten us what could have killed our cats. We are now so desparate, as the nearest vet is voer 2 hour drive from our home.

Sorry for the poor english here.
SUSeksk
post Oct 17 2017, 09:19 PM

On my way
586 posts

y u let your cats roam neighbourhood?
TSnewsreadr7
post Oct 17 2017, 09:25 PM

11 posts

QUOTE(eksk @ Oct 17 2017, 09:19 PM)
y u let your cats roam neighbourhood?
everybody's cats come n go into one's compound. most r friendly. cannot tell if got neighbour feel bad towards another's pets
eternallife
post Oct 27 2017, 01:45 PM

1 posts

QUOTE(newsreadr7 @ Oct 17 2017, 09:08 PM)
Hello sifus,

Since 3 weeks ago our cats perished one after another. My family couldn't tell whats killing the cats. The only obvious signs they show are vomiting, and later they reside (being passive) and after a few days of 'not active' (refuse to eat and drink) they would die. We couldn't check their urine or their poop to tell what was wrong. But we suspect them being poisoned, because during the day our feline would roam the neighbourhood. They would ony return for meal time. Night time they would stay at home.

Before they die they didn't make much meowing sound, or much struggling (convulsive/repulsive, and the likes), while they lay helpless and breathing. Some of the cats would die overnight after suffering such strange 'ordeal'.

If they are poisoned, what could the poison be - rat poison? weedicide? Or, should we suspect rabies or lepto?

Can sifus here enlighten us what could have killed our cats. We are now so desparate, as the nearest vet is voer 2 hour drive from our home.

Oh, dear... that's terrible!
How many cats did you have?

I don't know if vets here can test for these things.

Our cats roam free. Our dog goes out into the garden only to ease himself, but al least once a week he will find chicken bones in the corner of our garden. Just beside our house is a pathway used by many people to head to the bus stop a few hundred metres away.

I was even wondering if we should install CCTVs. At least to put off people from throwing food into our compound.

I really don't know if they think they are helping to give them a bone, or if they mean harm.

Every time we go out we pray to God for protection for our home, neighbours, neighbourhood and animals. Ultimately, God is the only one who can protect.
cbsim
post Oct 27 2017, 01:49 PM

Getting Started
72 posts

Hello sifus,

The same thing happened in my neighborhood, where is your area?

BuddhawithinMe
post Oct 28 2017, 09:04 PM

Getting Started
61 posts

Hello sifus,

Its heartbreaking to read ur post and im really sorry for your loss.

I think your kittens higher chances being fed with food mix with poisons. Did u provide litter sand for your cats? If no, maybe ur cats had poop at ur neighbour house which causes them to do such thing.

I heard from my friend, his neighbour keep feeding the stray cats and the cats love to poop on their concrete porch, sometimes inside their shoes and they're very pissed. Once the cat poop on the place, alot other cat will come and poop at the same place no matter how u clean with soap. Even use bleach wash also, they still come back and poop at the same place. Quite an headache.

I taught them to wash using white vinegar. And after that sprinkle coffee powder around the place. Thankfully the pooping stop.

AlexiusAle
post Nov 14 2017, 08:46 PM

6 posts

Hello sifus,

Should be poison. I used to have an evil neighbor selling pet birds in cage. Of course cat naturally attracted to birds. He purposely left food mixed with poison to feed strays cats. Unfortunately our cat eaten the food too..... N my cat symptoms are the same as you described.
abubin
post Nov 28 2017, 12:26 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,423 posts

Think of your neighbour's point of view.

I am currently having cat problem. There is this brown cat that I don't know who is the owner. It keep going into my house which is annoying. I will not poison it but I don't know what else to do cause the cat might be diseased.

At least if you own the cat, put a tag on it and let people know it belongs to you so that they can contact you if they are annoyed by it. You love cats but not everyone share the same sentiment. Letting it roam into other people's house is irresponsible.
eternallife
post Nov 29 2017, 02:35 PM

1 posts

As a cat owner myself, to discipline our cats from where we don't want them to jump up, we keep an empty Febreeze spray bottle filled with water. Whenever the cats jump onto the tables or cupboards, we spray them. Now, the minite we pick up the spray bottle, they run helter skelter. You could try the same. It is a humane way. It is OK if people do not like animals, but we must not harm them.

We used to use collars with tags on all our cats, but something terrible happened one day. Because of the collars, one of our big, strong male cats was cornered by dogs and dragged by the collar and mauled. Another time, in a cat fight, my cat's collar got caught in the jaws of another cat and there was fur flying everywhere! And we couldn't do anything at all because the collar was caught in the other cat's mouth, until much later when it got disentangled. Thus we decided to stop putting collars on them, though they look so cute and pretty with them.

It's sad with animals. Should they exist or not exist? Will God punish us or not punish us for hurting them? Sometimes I wish God would not have creeated them, so that they don't need to go through all these bad things in the hands of people who hate them. But the choice is not ours... so I love them because they came to me, and do what I can for them.
TSnewsreadr7
post Dec 10 2017, 10:03 PM

11 posts

thanks sifus, for enlightening, and sharing us tips n tricks on pets care. everyone in the family has to accept the loss.
acbc
post Dec 10 2017, 10:07 PM

Look at all my stars!!
8,475 posts

I used coffee grounds to ward off cats entering my compound. They tend to leave their poop around. My next door neighbour not so forgiving. He put broken glass shards on top of his fences. Previously, stray cats would also leave poop on his compound and he gotten fed up cleaning up.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0145sec    0.27    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:20 PM