Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

IT fresh graduate and my first job offer, Please give me some advice :(

views

cire2
post Oct 19 2017, 01:44 PM

Getting Started
106 posts

QUOTE(mylifeisgoingdown @ Oct 17 2017, 01:36 AM)
People like you is the reason why Chinaman company exists. Everyone has different ideal about their working life. It's just like some people always think that migrating out of Malaysia is so much better and they don't understand why would people want to stay in Malaysia. The thing is not everyone thinks the same like you and not everyone wants the same thing as you do. I would suggest you to change your mindset that everyone should agree with your opinion and learn from you.

As an IT manager working in a MNC company, I thought you should have been more open-minded and willing to listen to other people's opinion, even if they are conflicting with yours. But instead you decided to express your frustration at them just because other people don't think the same way like you do.

Always remember one thing, you will never get to decide if a person fails or succeed in their life. Just because they don't make the same decision like you do, it doesn't mean you will be more successful than them. Cheers and may you grow to be a wise manager.
This fresh grad is going somewhere. You are clear on your stand and would not let others, especially old timers who love to use their seniority status to bend things to their will, telling you otherwise. I wish I was this firm like you when I was a fresh grad myself. I can't give my opinion on your situation as I am not in the IT field but i am positive you will be doing fine wherever you are. Good luck TS.
genryou
post Oct 19 2017, 05:23 PM

Getting Started
56 posts

If I were still a fresh grad like you, I would have choose company B.

Main reason? Near to your house.

The biggest blunder of my first career is picking a job in which I have to commute almost 1 hour and half travel time to the office

1h30 go to work + 1h30 back from work = 3 hours of time wasted just to commute, not to mention the amount of money I have to spend on petrol (no tolls)

Nowadays, the company I work with is only 5 minutes away from my house.
My petrol every month is only RM 30, and I have a lot of extra time to spend (study, rest, eat, dating, etc) instead of being stuck on a traffic.

All in all, don't go for a job which will put accumulated and unnecessary / unneeded stress which is not related to your work task (stress due to stuck on traffic, stress due to petrol and tolls price hike, stress due to no parking, etc2)

This post has been edited by genryou: Oct 19 2017, 05:24 PM
poooky
post Oct 19 2017, 05:55 PM

Casual
454 posts

Go company b n don't look back. Higher pay, less work/stress n nearer to home.

Dun go cainamang company. Doing more doesnt equate to learning more. Most times its dealing with tedious crap or sht jobs that no one else wants to do.

Moving on will depend on ur own learning n how well u play the game.
hiroshi87
post Oct 19 2017, 06:30 PM

Getting Started
205 posts

i am in IT field. starting as an IT helpdesk and now as an IT consultant/architect. as long as u r willing to sacrifice time and effort to learn, nothing will stop u. i mostly do self study to get my professional certs. save tons of money.

This post has been edited by hiroshi87: Oct 19 2017, 06:30 PM
xpole
post Oct 19 2017, 08:04 PM

Rain on me baby
1,362 posts

WOW, Petronas take Fresh Grads nowadays?

I have 3 cousins and 1 in law working in Petronas.

1 of them working in HR dept, she said, nowadays Petronas only take experienced people.
If offer job for fresh grad mostly comes from student under Petronas scholarship.

I guess for IT Petronas is different i guess. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by xpole: Oct 19 2017, 08:05 PM
jeffrey2020
post Oct 20 2017, 02:04 PM

Getting Started
177 posts

I guess u should take the Nettium company or go for more interview if you don like this chinaman company. As what i know , Petronas wont offer you that fast , althought u say they ardy offer you and when u call back check, sure banyak pattern to drag you one. Not only you is the best result, they are plenty good result student out there to choose too and some with maharaja relationship. lol !! What i can say is usually take more than 3 month for Petronas to offer you. So, do update us on your hunt job journey. All the best to you !

This post has been edited by jeffrey2020: Oct 20 2017, 02:05 PM
cant think of a username
post Oct 22 2017, 03:39 AM

Getting Started
72 posts

ok la didnt really read through the whole thing and the other replies..

but.. 3.xk pay is not high.. is minimum, any lower consider abuse d..
bluetomato
post Oct 23 2017, 10:18 AM

Casual
361 posts

QUOTE(mylifeisgoingdown @ Oct 17 2017, 01:36 AM)
People like you is the reason why Chinaman company exists. Everyone has different ideal about their working life. It's just like some people always think that migrating out of Malaysia is so much better and they don't understand why would people want to stay in Malaysia. The thing is not everyone thinks the same like you and not everyone wants the same thing as you do. I would suggest you to change your mindset that everyone should agree with your opinion and learn from you.

As an IT manager working in a MNC company, I thought you should have been more open-minded and willing to listen to other people's opinion, even if they are conflicting with yours. But instead you decided to express your frustration at them just because other people don't think the same way like you do.

Always remember one thing, you will never get to decide if a person fails or succeed in their life. Just because they don't make the same decision like you do, it doesn't mean you will be more successful than them. Cheers and may you grow to be a wise manager.
A very well written rebuke supported by strong argumentative points.

In response to your question, If I were in your shoes and I was looking to move towards the upper echelon of the workforce, I would go with Petronas offer as I believe an experience with Petronas will open yourself to a plethora of options in the future, I understand that with the Petrons option an older workforce culture may turn you off from climbing the ladder quickly as you'd like but if it doesn't work out well the experience with a conglomerate such as Petronas will still be an excellent spring board to better opportunities moving forward.

I made a personal leap myself after my 2 years of fresh graduate experience to a bigger name in a different industry for the exact reason.

However, as mentioned by one of the posters previously it really boils down to what you are looking for moving forward. Oh and P.S if you are looking to move to the 2nd option, be wary as what you have on hand by option one is a done deal and the other has not materialized. Alas I wish you best of luck!

This post has been edited by bluetomato: Oct 23 2017, 10:18 AM
Ralys
post Oct 30 2017, 08:29 PM

Getting Started
61 posts

As a current employee in company A, I would not recommend u to join the company A, trust me, while they like to talk about work life balance, but u will never be able to achieve it due to the fact that the company will require u, as a software engineer to be on standby which most of the time u will get called in the weekend or weekday, ANYTIME, even though it's false alarm but u may get called and wake up for checking and in the end, it's just a false alarm. I believe that as a software engineer it is beyond our job scope to be on standby for the website as there should be a production support team to do the job. They indeed have a production support team but is in fact they are unable to help since they are unable do simple thing like debug the code and check for error which most of the time probably escalate to u the developer to solve the issue. So for ur own good, pls avoid this company at all cost.
taitianhin
post Oct 30 2017, 09:15 PM

This is
1,322 posts

Bro...Location? how far from your house? bad jam go to there in morning? Any jam on the way back?

pls consider this point, as you will stick to the same traffic jam every single darn day...till u drop...
SUSfukumiya
post Nov 1 2017, 07:23 AM

33 posts

If I'm u, I will choose company b. Don't choose those cikopek gambling company. Apa lj online gambling website is legal in Malaysia ? I got fren working in those company. Heard from him , 2-3 times raid the company. U want to work in those company ?

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0133sec    0.17    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:17 AM