Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Hardware Is the Zenbook Pro UX550 a premium gaming laptop?, i7 7700HQ, GTX 1050 Ti, dual fans...

views

TSIncredibleNano
post Oct 6 2017, 05:26 PM, updated 7y ago

Casual
328 posts

The ASUS ZenBook Pro UX550 looks like a good premium gaming laptop for those who do not want striking "gamer" aesthetics.. but the review from Dave2D makes it seem like it isn't suitable for gaming.

However, looking at the performance after 1 hour of gaming... looks pretty okay what? Still can maintain nearly 60 fps in my favorite game, Overwatch, and that's fine by me already. The review did mention with repaste and undervolting thermals should be fine hmm.gif

Any casual gamers out there who have the ASUS ZenBook Pro UX550 and have tried gaming on it? icon_question.gif

This post has been edited by IncredibleNano: Oct 6 2017, 05:28 PM
abu.shofwan
post Oct 6 2017, 05:28 PM

Regular
1,455 posts

How much is it here?
xerox8908
post Oct 6 2017, 09:26 PM

Look at all my stars
2,724 posts

QUOTE(IncredibleNano @ Oct 6 2017, 05:26 PM)
The ASUS ZenBook Pro UX550 looks like a good premium gaming laptop for those who do not want striking "gamer" aesthetics.. but the review from Dave2D makes it seem like it isn't suitable for gaming.

However, looking at the performance after 1 hour of gaming... looks pretty okay what? Still can maintain nearly 60 fps in my favorite game, Overwatch, and that's fine by me already. The review did mention with repaste and undervolting thermals should be fine  hmm.gif

Any casual gamers out there who have the ASUS ZenBook Pro UX550 and have tried gaming on it?  icon_question.gif
You mean you want to repaste a 9k laptop for just fine performance ?

This post has been edited by xerox8908: Oct 6 2017, 09:39 PM
shirogawawa
post Oct 6 2017, 09:53 PM

Laptop enthusiast
2,383 posts

QUOTE(abu.shofwan @ Oct 6 2017, 05:28 PM)
How much is it here?
RM 7299
TSIncredibleNano
post Oct 8 2017, 10:05 PM

Casual
328 posts

QUOTE(Slick69 @ Oct 8 2017, 05:35 PM)
Looking at the price, i don't think there's anyone who's gonna be reviewing that for you 🤣🤣jk, jk.

It's nice and clearly in a class of its own.

The only bad thing about that is the price. Anything else i can live with.

I can see it.  There's a lot of good games I can play with with doesn't need super-duper great spec to run them

Deponia series, telltale games, skyrim, half-life..... OH MAN gaming on this laptop would be incredible!
Gameplay first, graphics second eh? I personally just play Overwatch when I have the time. Other than that it's work work work work work sweat.gif
AthrunIJ
post Oct 8 2017, 10:09 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,924 posts

Gaming and thin will overload the small thermal system in place. But as Dave said, undervolting will help.
TSIncredibleNano
post Oct 8 2017, 10:34 PM

Casual
328 posts

QUOTE(xerox8908 @ Oct 6 2017, 09:26 PM)
You mean you want to repaste a 9k laptop for just fine performance ?
If it voids warranty then no, but I really wouldn't mind doing a little work to get what I want. To get the best performance from Intel CPU now also need to delid what laugh.gif

QUOTE(AthrunIJ @ Oct 8 2017, 10:09 PM)
Gaming and thin will overload the small thermal system in place. But as Dave said, undervolting will help.
hmm.gif Undervolting is pretty easy with XTU. Really need some feedback from anyone who owns this laptop
AthrunIJ
post Oct 8 2017, 10:36 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,924 posts

QUOTE(IncredibleNano @ Oct 8 2017, 10:34 PM)
If it voids warranty then no, but I really wouldn't mind doing a little work to get what I want. To get the best performance from Intel CPU now also need to delid what  laugh.gif
hmm.gif Undervolting is pretty easy with XTU. Really need some feedback from anyone who owns this laptop
Still quite new so any review will be slow.

All in all, for work related would be fine but for gaming and heavy loads well keep monitoring the temp.
xerox8908
post Oct 9 2017, 01:44 PM

Look at all my stars
2,724 posts

QUOTE(IncredibleNano @ Oct 8 2017, 10:34 PM)
If it voids warranty then no, but I really wouldn't mind doing a little work to get what I want. To get the best performance from Intel CPU now also need to delid what  laugh.gif
You don't get the point . For such a expensive laptop . You shouldn't need to do so much work to get barely acceptable performance .
TSIncredibleNano
post Oct 12 2017, 09:09 PM

Casual
328 posts

QUOTE(xerox8908 @ Oct 9 2017, 01:44 PM)
You don't get the point . For such a expensive laptop . You shouldn't need to do so much work to get barely acceptable performance .
Well it isn't really designed as a gaming laptop in the first place. Most of the workloads that people work with won't put your system under load as much as gaming. People usually game more than they work, so there is also that laugh.gif If we are talking about an ROG laptop then yes, it would be stupid if I have to repaste just to be able to game on it. But here, I don't really think it is an issue.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0115sec    0.47    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:13 PM