Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Sony STR-DN1080 & Co., Made in Malaysia Sony AV Amp

views

TSr2t2
post Oct 6 2017, 11:54 AM, updated 5 months ago

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

Hi HiFi-ers!

I'm considered a n00b audiophile, although has been using a Logitech Z-5500 for at least 10 years.

Recently I've decided to go full hi-fi due to poisons by colleague and friend.
Colleague, has bought a KEF LS50 + Naim 5Si last year ... been to his house many times, and really enjoyed the higher level clarity of sounds.
Hometown friend, has a home theater setup of assorted speakers and amps ... recently he upgraded his front speakers to Q Acoustic 3020, and thinking of selling off his old KEF Cresta 30.
So, I bought his floor standing KEF Cresta 30, and wanna set up a system primarily for music listening (my Logitech Z-5500 is great for movies, gaming and bassy music but not so for real audiophile music). But I had a hard time deciding between stereo amp, and AV amp ... with budget around RM2K, I could only choose among Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, or Marantz. Then read about Sony STR-DN1080 on WhatHiFI, CNET, Crutchfield, etc. ... with its nice reviews, and its audio enhancements, e.g. Digital Sound Enhancement Engine HX (DSEE HX), etc. ... would be great for my 320kbps Spotify musics, in addition to the usual Pure Direct mode . My thinking is most probably I wanna go the Home Theather path in the near future, and this Sony AV amp seems like a good compromise.

Long story short, with the dizzying range of options from Onkyo & Denon, I chose the easy lazy path ... the only single annual AV amp budget model from Sony; the problem now is, I can't find and buy it from local sellers ... even Malaysia and Singapore Sony Centre (I'd ask even from the flagship Sony Store at 313 Somerset, they don't know when will bring in; and one of the shops at Adelphi Mall said that Sony Singapore prioritize HT integrated set over AV amp). So, I ordered one from Amazon US, coz saw that got USD100 discount the other day. After my unit arrived this week, after playing around with it a bit and listening to music at least 2 hours every night, I thought of looking for Sony AV Amp kaki in LYN here to discuss tips ... but only found Sony STR-DN1050 thread.

Hence, this new thread / topic ... (maybe moderator can merge the Sony AV Amps threads next time).

Attached Image
Attached Image

This post has been edited by r2t2: Oct 6 2017, 11:55 AM
TSr2t2
post Oct 6 2017, 12:00 PM

Getting Started

Attached Image

When the box arrived, only then I realized the irony ....
Sony STR-DN1080 is Made in Malaysia ... but not sold in Malaysia (yet, hopefully)
sweat.gif
mpyw
post Oct 6 2017, 12:01 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

Order from US?
You use a step down transformer?
US Voltage is 110V only, here 240V wor
TSr2t2
post Oct 6 2017, 12:03 PM

Getting Started

Ya, definitely need a step down transformer ... am using one 240v to 115v ... wanna get customized one soon, ask the shop to measure and get to 120v.

This post has been edited by r2t2: Oct 6 2017, 12:10 PM
TSr2t2
post Oct 6 2017, 02:16 PM

Getting Started

Ok, a personal list of pros and cons for Sony STR-DN1080, most of which are the same as the online reviews ... will try to update from time to time.

Pros
- easy to setup (as advertised)

- audio enhancements for music;
1) Sound Field - Audio Enhancement (supposedly will try to upscale lossy formats to higher and more sound-filling format ... my ears not that golden, can only feel got a bit of improvement)
2) Sound Optimizer - Normal or Low setting (will make the sound more dynamic even at low volume ... seems to me, it'll dampen the overall music a bit, but at volume lower than 15, still can hear some details)
3) EQ for speaker - although don't have the master treble and bass physical volume like most stereo amp and old av amp, can adjust the treble, bass, volume for each speaker.
4) Pure Direct Mode - the good old non-dsp processing mode.

- connectivity; I'm satisfied ... like other competitors, got AirPlay, and Spotify Connect (which are quite important for me). Even tho I got an Audioquest Evergreen 3.5mm to RCA cable, the wireless freedom is nice. Bluetooth connection quality, I don't have any aptX or LDAC enabled players, so didn't try.

- some unique features (maybe); speakers virtual relocation, centre speaker lift-up...but these are for multi-speakers setup, mine still 2.0, so not yet try. Only tried the virtual Front Surround for 2.0 speaker config, sounds good.

- Music Center app is nice, can control a lot of features/settings from the app.

Cons
- warmer than expected ... as hot as Onkyo amps (maybe), Denon amps are cooler, will need a low-speed computer fan if worried about lifespan; even when in standby mode, it's still emitting heat. Have to turn off the network or always ready in standby mode, then it'll get cool; not sure which setting yet, will try one by one.

- radio tuner reception is lousy with the provided piece of wire ... even when tuned to a station, the static noise is too much.

- user interface although is minimalist (good point for me actually), not so smooth ... lag a bit.

- Spotify Connect features really simplistic ... can't seems to browse Spotify without phone/pc; have to save playlists first to the presets (got 20 slots), then only can standalone play.

- built-in Chromecast is only for audio/music ... can't mirror or cast videos.

This post has been edited by r2t2: Oct 6 2017, 02:22 PM
ktek
post Oct 6 2017, 09:03 PM

wings wings

av receiver, important is supported codec (should be no problem this one new model) and power to push speaker.
basic setup will calibrate volume to master level, eq, distance & lfe crossover.

the rest of quality come from speaker & position u installed.

This post has been edited by ktek: Oct 6 2017, 09:05 PM
Areas Elysian
post Dec 12 2017, 05:03 PM

Regular

QUOTE(r2t2 @ Oct 6 2017, 11:54 AM)
So, I ordered one from Amazon US, coz saw that got USD100 discount the other day. 
Interested in this same AV Receiver but I am unable to find it anywhere in Malaysia too!

How much did you ended up paying for the full set including delivery? Were you hit by GST upon arrival as well?

Thank you!
TSr2t2
post Dec 12 2017, 11:57 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Areas Elysian @ Dec 12 2017, 05:03 PM)
Interested in this same AV Receiver but I am unable to find it anywhere in Malaysia too!

How much did you ended up paying for the full set including delivery? Were you hit by GST upon arrival as well?

Thank you!
Tried to check Sony Malaysia Online Store again, still STR-DN1060 only.
https://store.sony.com.my/productlisting.aspx?catid=127
Attached Image

I kinda like one of the STR-DN1070 function, wireless rear speaker support. STR-DN1080 doesn't have that. But I guess Dolby Atmos support is more important.

My delivery order from Amazon US.
Attached Image

Payment included shipping, and import tax (estimated by Amazon, their policy being; if the import tax upon arrival is lower than the advance payment/deposit, then the changes/remainders will be credited back to the card you used for payment; if the import tax is higher than expected, Amazon will absorb the extra cost ... how true is this, I dunno).

Actually, I kinda bought on impulse without doing extra research, coz tired of searching ... after receiving my set, only did I read here on LYN that some electronic items which got wireless components might have to be approved by SIRIM before being released ... also, not so sure about this.

Anyway, current price on Amazon US is back to RRP USD598, but couldn't find the exact one sold by Amazon Export Sales LLC ... wait for restock, sales or discount again lor.
Areas Elysian
post Dec 14 2017, 08:33 AM

Regular

QUOTE(r2t2 @ Dec 12 2017, 11:57 PM)
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
Thanks so much for the details.

Yeah, I may just opt to import it from US or something as well, either via Amazon or B&H or something, whoever gives the best price/discounts.

What are you using to overcome the voltage step down?
TSr2t2
post Dec 14 2017, 10:33 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Areas Elysian @ Dec 14 2017, 08:33 AM)
Thanks so much for the details.

Yeah, I may just opt to import it from US or something as well, either via Amazon or B&H or something, whoever gives the best price/discounts.

What are you using to overcome the voltage step down?
I'm currently borrowing a step down transformer ... a 230-240V to 115-120V, but only 200W. STR-DN1080 is rated at 240W. But I'm not fully using all the channels, and never turn up volume more than 40 (too loud already for the room); will still look for my own 300W power transformer tho.

US model and UK/European model differs a bit, not sure about Asian model (if got). US one got extra speaker channels for Zone 2, UK don't have.
Areas Elysian
post Dec 15 2017, 12:33 PM

Regular

QUOTE(r2t2 @ Dec 14 2017, 10:33 PM)
I'm currently borrowing a step down transformer ... a 230-240V to 115-120V, but only 200W. STR-DN1080 is rated at 240W.  But I'm not fully using all the channels, and never turn up volume more than 40 (too loud already for the room); will still look for my own 300W power transformer tho.

US model and UK/European model differs a bit, not sure about Asian model (if got).  US one got extra speaker channels for Zone 2, UK don't have.
Do you notice any hums or interference with the STR-DN1080 from the transformer? I'm also searching around for a 300W transformer, but I am concerned of that point raised up by a colleague. I suppose as long as you are not attempting to drive any crazy speakers, should be fine.

Interesting on the differences, I still wonder why they don't sell it in Malaysia. I won't be using it beyond 5.1 to be honest, and I am looking for an alternative method to getting music around my house, so the 2nd Zone wouldn't be an issue.

There should be an Asian model, at least for Japan. They are, after all, in Asia. LOL

Thanks so much for your help, at least you will have a fellow STR-DN1080 'kaki' soon-ish. Just need to make sure I have everything ready.

Edit: P/S, I am getting the STR-DN1080 to replace a Logitech Z-5500 that's sitting in the living room. Hah!

This post has been edited by Areas Elysian: Dec 15 2017, 12:34 PM
TSr2t2
post Dec 15 2017, 10:45 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(Areas Elysian @ Dec 15 2017, 12:33 PM)
Do you notice any hums or interference with the STR-DN1080 from the transformer? I'm also searching around for a 300W transformer, but I am concerned of that point raised up by a colleague. I suppose as long as you are not attempting to drive any crazy speakers, should be fine.

Interesting on the differences, I still wonder why they don't sell it in Malaysia. I won't be using it beyond 5.1 to be honest, and I am looking for an alternative method to getting music around my house, so the 2nd Zone wouldn't be an issue.

There should be an Asian model, at least for Japan. They are, after all, in Asia. LOL

Thanks so much for your help, at least you will have a fellow STR-DN1080 'kaki' soon-ish. Just need to make sure I have everything ready.

Edit: P/S, I am getting the STR-DN1080 to replace a Logitech Z-5500 that's sitting in the living room. Hah!
Current borrowed step-down transformer ... old but the owner says it won't get hot even with prolonged usage. True, even 3 or 4 hrs of listening to music non-stop, it didn't even get warm. And no hums or audible interference.
Attached Image
So, I guess it depends on the transformer size and build ... some do emit buzz.
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread....ransformer-buzz

Previously, before this, was using a 300W transformer, also borrowed from another fren. That one also no hums/buzz and perceivable interference, tho it does get quite warm.
Hopefully, I think, transformers of 200W-300W don't have so much coils, etc., less electrical noise/interference. Or maybe just my speakers and the Sony STR-DN1080 (considered budget amp) not that sensitive.

user posted image
US model (they censored the Made in Malaysia part ... it's there)

user posted image
UK model

I asked one of the sellers at The Adelphi Mall in Singapore why didn't bring in Sony STR-DN1080 ... he said Sony there concentrates on hifi sets, and the shops there didn't seem to carry Sony; budget brands as usual, Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, Yamaha, etc.
Asked also at Sony Store, 313@Somerset, the biggest walk-in Sony store in Singapore ... the salesperson also can't say when will bring in Sony STR-DN1080, and it seems I'm not the first one to ask about it.

So, why don't sell in Malaysia although built in Malaysia? Supply and demand? For export purpose only? Onkyo amps are mostly built in Malaysia also, and some models can't find locally (e.g. Onkyo TX-8270).

For now, maybe 5.1 enough for you ... in the near future, when got more better mixed Atmos movies (Gravity, they say should be one of the showcase for Atmos) and the poison is stronger biggrin.gif , maybe can just add 2 small Dolby Atmos enabled speakers on top of the front speakers, if don't want hassle to install Atmos ceiling speakers. That's your 5.1.2 configuration, which is the max STR-DN1080 supports anyway (7.2 if no Atmos speakers).
Mine is still 2.0, haha ... haih.

Yesssss, hopefully more will get this as beginner's budget AV Amp ... so that we could discuss tips and practices. thumbsup.gif

Hey! (as mentioned in first post), I'm using Logitech Z-5500 too!! ... still using, for gaming console.
Areas Elysian
post Dec 25 2017, 03:16 PM

Regular

QUOTE(r2t2 @ Dec 15 2017, 10:45 PM)
Current borrowed step-down transformer ... old but the owner says it won't get hot even with prolonged usage.  True, even 3 or 4 hrs of listening to music non-stop, it didn't even get warm.  And no hums or audible interference.
Attached Image
So, I guess it depends on the transformer size and build ... some do emit buzz.
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread....ransformer-buzz

Previously, before this, was using a 300W transformer, also borrowed from another fren.  That one also no hums/buzz and perceivable interference, tho it does get quite warm.
Hopefully, I think, transformers of 200W-300W don't have so much coils, etc., less electrical noise/interference.  Or maybe just my speakers and the Sony STR-DN1080 (considered budget amp) not that sensitive.
That's good to hear. Earlier I bought a 200W transformer which was not enough, and they upgraded it to a 500W transformer with no added cost, so I'll figure out how well it performs when it arrives. The receiver is currently on back order, so will just wait until it's available.

user posted image
US model (they censored the Made in Malaysia part ... it's there)

user posted image
UK model

I asked one of the sellers at The Adelphi Mall in Singapore why didn't bring in Sony STR-DN1080 ... he said Sony there concentrates on hifi sets, and the shops there didn't seem to carry Sony; budget brands as usual, Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, Yamaha, etc.
Asked also at Sony Store, 313@Somerset, the biggest walk-in Sony store in Singapore ... the salesperson also can't say when will bring in Sony STR-DN1080, and it seems I'm not the first one to ask about it.

So, why don't sell in Malaysia although built in Malaysia?  Supply and demand?  For export purpose only?  Onkyo amps are mostly built in Malaysia also, and some models can't find locally (e.g. Onkyo TX-8270). 
Yeah, it is odd. I refuse to think that there are no demands for good quality AV parts. I just found out from Sony Center The Curve that even projectors are no longer being brought in, which is a shame really. I didn't really verified this as I am currently not in the market for one.

For now, maybe 5.1 enough for you ... in the near future, when got more better mixed Atmos movies (Gravity, they say should be one of the showcase for Atmos) and the poison is stronger  biggrin.gif , maybe can just add 2 small Dolby Atmos enabled speakers on top of the front speakers, if don't want hassle to install Atmos ceiling speakers.  That's your 5.1.2 configuration, which is the max STR-DN1080 supports anyway (7.2 if no Atmos speakers).
Mine is still 2.0, haha ... haih.

Yesssss, hopefully more will get this as beginner's budget AV Amp ... so that we could discuss tips and practices.  thumbsup.gif

Hey! (as mentioned in first post), I'm using Logitech Z-5500 too!! ... still using, for gaming console.
The Sony DN1080 will be for the living room which is primarily used for watching TV shows, PS4 and music, so 5.1 is more than enough for that purpose. I just wanted the best value and compatibility with the PS4, with fantastic feature and decent quality sound. Only thign is, touch wood, we won't have to deal with any warranty issues.

I already have the Pioneer SC-LX78 set up in the AV room in a 7.1.2 configuration set up with ceiling Atmos speakers and the poison is real for those who came over. LOL. Only issue now is, when the time does come to replace the current Sony projector, it will be another headache since Sony Malaysia is no longer selling a lot of the newer projectors too.
sonic_darkknight
post Feb 22 2019, 11:14 PM

On my way

QUOTE(r2t2 @ Oct 6 2017, 11:54 AM)
Hi HiFi-ers!

I'm considered a n00b audiophile, although has been using a Logitech Z-5500 for at least 10 years.

Recently I've decided to go full hi-fi due to poisons by colleague and friend. 
Colleague, has bought a KEF LS50 + Naim 5Si last year ... been to his house many times, and really enjoyed the higher level clarity of sounds. 
Hometown friend, has a home theater setup of assorted speakers and amps ... recently he upgraded his front speakers to Q Acoustic 3020, and thinking of selling off his old KEF Cresta 30.
So, I bought his floor standing KEF Cresta 30, and wanna set up a system primarily for music listening (my Logitech Z-5500 is great for movies, gaming and bassy music but not so for real audiophile music).  But I had a hard time deciding between stereo amp, and AV amp ... with budget around RM2K, I could only choose among Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, or Marantz.  Then read about Sony STR-DN1080 on WhatHiFI, CNET, Crutchfield, etc. ... with its nice reviews, and its audio enhancements, e.g. Digital Sound Enhancement Engine HX (DSEE HX), etc. ... would be great for my 320kbps Spotify musics, in addition to the usual Pure Direct mode .  My thinking is most probably I wanna go the Home Theather path in the near future, and this Sony AV amp seems like a good compromise.

Long story short, with the dizzying range of options from Onkyo & Denon, I chose the easy lazy path ... the only single annual AV amp budget model from Sony; the problem now is, I can't find and buy it from local sellers ... even Malaysia and Singapore Sony Centre (I'd ask even from the flagship Sony Store at 313 Somerset, they don't know when will bring in; and one of the shops at Adelphi Mall said that Sony Singapore prioritize HT integrated set over AV amp).  So, I ordered one from Amazon US, coz saw that got USD100 discount the other day.  After my unit arrived this week, after playing around with it a bit and listening to music at least 2 hours every night, I thought of looking for Sony AV Amp kaki in LYN here to discuss tips ... but only found Sony STR-DN1050 thread.

Hence, this new thread / topic ... (maybe moderator can merge the Sony AV Amps threads next time).

Attached Image
Attached Image
sorry for reviving an old thread, I'm kind of interested with this model. I'm thinking of doing the same thing by buying from amazon. May I know is your unit still working in optimum condition? Thanks in advance for responding
TSr2t2
post Feb 27 2019, 05:21 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(sonic_darkknight @ Feb 22 2019, 11:14 PM)
sorry for reviving an old thread, I'm kind of interested with this model. I'm thinking of doing the same thing by buying from amazon. May I know is your unit still working in optimum condition? Thanks in advance for responding
(Touch wood) Still working without problem ... average using it 2hrs per day ... sometimes up to 12hrs continuously on weekends when playing games, and watching movies. Mostly still using it to listen to music.

Hmm ... Amazon selling now at USD448 + USD129.29 (shipping & import tax) ... total of USD577.29 ... that's around RM2,400! Cheaper than the price when I bought one!

And I'm using AC Infinity MULTIFAN S7-P on top of my unit, to dissipate the heat ... altho they say it's normal heat for these kind of AV Amp, but it's rather too warm for my feel, and I rather spend a bit more for peace of mind.

This post has been edited by r2t2: Feb 27 2019, 05:28 PM
sonic_darkknight
post Feb 28 2019, 07:44 PM

On my way

QUOTE(r2t2 @ Feb 27 2019, 05:21 PM)
(Touch wood) Still working without problem ... average using it 2hrs per day ... sometimes up to 12hrs continuously on weekends when playing games, and watching movies.  Mostly still using it to listen to music. 

Hmm ... Amazon selling now at USD448 + USD129.29 (shipping & import tax) ... total of USD577.29 ... that's around RM2,400! Cheaper than the price when I bought one!

And I'm using AC Infinity MULTIFAN S7-P on top of my unit, to dissipate the heat ... altho they say it's normal heat for these kind of AV Amp, but it's rather too warm for my feel, and I rather spend a bit more for peace of mind.
Hi, R2T2. thanks for the feedback. Really appreciate you took the time to reply. Good to hear that your unit is working fine. Hopefully it will last you for ages. Seems that your unit has been working for about 1.5 years huh? Your feedback really gave some degree of assurance and confidence to proceed with my purchase.

I really don't know why despite the good feedback from expert review for this particular model, only one online seller is selling this AV receiver only.

I'm really looking forward to my own unit and my first home theater system setup.

Thanks and peace out icon_rolleyes.gif

sonic_darkknight
post Feb 28 2019, 07:45 PM

On my way

QUOTE(r2t2 @ Feb 27 2019, 05:21 PM)
(Touch wood) Still working without problem ... average using it 2hrs per day ... sometimes up to 12hrs continuously on weekends when playing games, and watching movies.  Mostly still using it to listen to music. 

Hi, R2T2. thanks for the feedback. Really appreciate you took the time to reply. Good to hear that your unit is working fine. Hopefully it will last you for ages. Seems that your unit has been working for about 1.5 years huh? Your feedback really gave some degree of assurance and confidence to proceed with my purchase.

I really don't know why despite the good feedback from expert review for this particular model, only one online seller is selling this AV receiver only.

I'm really looking forward to my own unit and my first home theater system setup.

TSr2t2
post Mar 5 2019, 09:06 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(sonic_darkknight @ Feb 28 2019, 07:44 PM)
Online sellers ... saw got several before, but they're bringing in from overseas also, not local units. Not sure why also if there's demand locally, why no supply. Maybe like what an AV shop seller mentioned, Sony concentrating on HT set system in Malaysia/Singapore, not separate AV components. However, their online site used to sell STR-DN1060 (still on list but no price, will just refer to retail shops), and their budget SS-CS bookshelf speakers series seems to be flying off their shelves.

If you're buying US model, remember to get a step-down transformer, a 'cool-running' one if can ... if UK model, same voltage, so no need. But as you know, US model got extra Zone 2 channels, while UK model doesn't.

Wondering if Areas Elysian has bought one as well; he's more experienced in AV HT stuffs.
sonic_darkknight
post Mar 15 2019, 08:54 PM

On my way

QUOTE(r2t2 @ Mar 5 2019, 09:06 AM)
Online sellers ... saw got several before, but they're bringing in from overseas also, not local units.  Not sure why also if there's demand locally, why no supply.  Maybe like what an AV shop seller mentioned, Sony concentrating on HT set system in Malaysia/Singapore, not separate AV components.  However, their online site used to sell STR-DN1060 (still on list but no price, will just refer to retail shops), and their budget SS-CS bookshelf speakers series seems to be flying off their shelves.

If you're buying US model, remember to get a step-down transformer, a 'cool-running' one if can ... if UK model, same voltage, so no need.  But as you know, US model got extra Zone 2 channels, while UK model doesn't.

Wondering if Areas Elysian has bought one as well; he's more experienced in AV HT stuffs.
HI, Bro...thanks again for replying and your kind advice. How much does a step-down transformer cost? what is a "cool running" type? sorry, I am such a noob at this.
TSr2t2
post Mar 17 2019, 10:53 PM

Getting Started

I've used 2 step-down transformers before ... both borrowed from friends. One can get warm and a bit hot to touch ... another runs cool, only slightly warm, even after many hours.
Not sure what's the price, I'm still using theirs becoz they're currently not using them ...

But from Lazada, above 300W step-down transformer should cost more than RM200.
e.g.
https://www.lazada.com.my/products/belle-10...sYhAJM&search=1

https://www.lazada.com.my/products/seven-st...sYhAJM&search=1

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0863sec    1.51    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 24th July 2019 - 07:00 AM