Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

what to do if miss a workout session?

views

TSinternaldisputes
post Oct 1 2017, 02:34 PM, updated 7y ago

he/his/him
1,723 posts

how's everyone approach to missing a work out on a particular day? do you guys make sure to double your effort on the next session or just brush it aside and focus on the next session solely?

since i'm on a 5-day brosplit routine there have been a few weeks where i unfortunately missed my workouts because i overslept, too tired, etc and i always feel really bad. this week i already missed my shoulder day but on my back day i incorporated some shoulder exercises thinking that it will give my mind some peace. however by the end of the session i didn't feel very satisfied because i felt like don't hit both of them hard enough. sweat.gif
xMusashii
post Oct 1 2017, 02:37 PM

Getting Started
70 posts

I try to incorporate some of the miss-session with my current session. eg, miss leg day ysday, today do shoulder and legs. Makes me feel better hahaha
overfloe
post Oct 1 2017, 04:04 PM

Ain't nothing but a thang..
2,058 posts

Seems like you need more rest lol. Can you adjust your routine to 4 days brosplit?

If you missed your sessions and try to cover back all the backlogs, you'll get fatigue faster. So just treat your missed days as your much needed restdays lol.
Armesh
post Oct 1 2017, 11:18 PM

Regular
1,485 posts

Firstly, you should be doing Push-Pull-Legs split

Second, if you miss Pull day today, do it tomorrow.
helven
post Oct 2 2017, 02:32 AM

Doko Online
919 posts

QUOTE(internaldisputes @ Oct 1 2017, 02:34 PM)
how's everyone approach to missing a work out on a particular day? do you guys make sure to double your effort on the next session or just brush it aside and focus on the next session solely?

since i'm on a 5-day brosplit routine there have been a few weeks where i unfortunately missed my workouts because i overslept, too tired, etc and i always feel really bad. this week i already missed my shoulder day but on my back day i incorporated some shoulder exercises thinking that it will give my mind some peace. however by the end of the session i didn't feel very satisfied because i felt like don't hit both of them hard enough. sweat.gif
Imo 5 days a week is a harsh schedule, simply unrealistic and not flexible if you have life shits to handle. You best bet, treat your day as day 1, day 2, day 3 than monday tuesday wednesday, which means day 1 is not always monday, it could be tuesday, if you really wanna do 5 day bro split.
My way to do is if I'm running in a very rush schedule, I will simplify my session and drop the accessories exercise. Or combine 2 sessions together and drop the low priority exercise, be creative, if you know the purpose of the particular exercise in ur session, you'll know how to rearrange them/drop them if needed.

Hard is bad, optimal is way to go. Why? To avoid undertrained nor overtrained

This post has been edited by helven: Oct 2 2017, 02:33 AM
TSinternaldisputes
post Oct 2 2017, 08:57 AM

he/his/him
1,723 posts

QUOTE(Armesh @ Oct 1 2017, 11:18 PM)
Firstly, you should be doing Push-Pull-Legs split

Second, if you miss Pull day today, do it tomorrow.
quite hesitant to start ppl at the moment because i already doing this brosplit thingy for 7 months now. maybe i should change it once i hit one-year of lifting. i like brosplit more because it's more flexible in terms of the exercises. plus it might be a little silly but i like telling the gym bros that today i'm working on my shoulders or back or whatever. i reckon if i tell those meatheads i'm on ppl they'd be very confused. sweat.gif
TSinternaldisputes
post Oct 2 2017, 09:01 AM

he/his/him
1,723 posts

QUOTE(helven @ Oct 2 2017, 02:32 AM)
Imo 5 days a week is a harsh schedule, simply unrealistic and not flexible if you have life shits to handle. You best bet, treat your day as day 1, day 2, day 3 than monday tuesday wednesday, which means day 1 is not always monday, it could be tuesday, if you really wanna do 5 day bro split.
My way to do is if I'm running in a very rush schedule, I will simplify my session and drop the accessories exercise. Or combine 2 sessions together and drop the low priority exercise, be creative, if you know the purpose of the particular exercise in ur session, you'll know how to rearrange them/drop them if needed.

Hard is bad, optimal is way to go. Why? To avoid undertrained nor overtrained
thanks for your suggestion! although i don't really set a particular day to be a specific muscle group day. it's like what you said-- day 1 can be monday/tuesday/wednesday. it's just that sometimes i miss my workouts for whatever reason and it's really annoying. sweat.gif
helven
post Oct 2 2017, 03:14 PM

Doko Online
919 posts

QUOTE(internaldisputes @ Oct 2 2017, 08:57 AM)
quite hesitant to start ppl at the moment because i already doing this brosplit thingy for 7 months now. maybe i should change it once i hit one-year of lifting. i like brosplit more because it's more flexible in terms of the exercises. plus it might be a little silly but i like telling the gym bros that today i'm working on my shoulders or back or whatever. i reckon if i tell those meatheads i'm on ppl they'd be very confused. sweat.gif
Push: Chest Shoulder Triceps
Pull: Back Biceps
Leg: Leg

Same mah.."today I work on chest shoulder and triceps."

and yes it is silly because u fit ur schedule for the sake of easier to tell people what you're doing

There was once, when I log my workout, and im the only one that brought pen and paper, ppl ask "eh need write meh? just do lah" I was like "okayyyy" then continue my own stuff doh.gif

There are harder things to tell, such as
I am practicing my squat breathing technique.
I am fixing my ATP.
I am experiencing different stuffs to for my new routine.

Most of the ppl will be like WTF? Then you will just smile and ignore them. mellow.gif

This post has been edited by helven: Oct 2 2017, 03:19 PM
bafukie
post Oct 2 2017, 03:23 PM

Regular
1,406 posts

Then u need to re-evaluate ye training program. Consistency is the driver of strength and hypertrophy gain. Recheck, reschedule and reshuffle when needed.

The thing with 5 days bro split (assuming the normal chest/Tri, back/biceps, leg - quads, legs - hamstring and shoulder/arms) leaves many things undesirable and inflexible. Miss one session, and u miss training the body part for a week. Optimally, each part should be trained at least twice per week, u aggravated it further by training it once per week or not training at all.

This post has been edited by bafukie: Oct 2 2017, 03:26 PM

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0150sec    0.66    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:00 PM