Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Labuan V1, Pearl of Borno

views

TSzstan
post Sep 25 2017, 10:26 AM, updated 7y ago

10k Club
All Stars
15,671 posts

[Currently based here so might as well start a topic about it to promote this lesser known island]

Labuan , officially the Federal Territory of Labuan , is a federal territory of Malaysia. It is made up of the eponymous Labuan Island and six smaller islands, and is located off the coast of the state of Sabah in East Malaysia. Labuan's capital is Victoria and is best known as an offshore financial centre offering international financial and business services via Labuan IBFC since 1990 as well as being an offshore support hub for deepwater oil and gas activities in the region. It is also a tourist destination for people travelling through Sabah, nearby Bruneians and scuba divers. The name Labuan derives from the Malay word labuhan which means harbour. Labuan, which is also a duty free island (like Langkawi & Tioman) is often referred to as the pearl of Borneo. (Wikipedia)

Places of Attractions:
[in progress]

What to eat?
1. Red Onion

Getting Here

Flight:
1. Malaysia Airlines (1-3X a day)
2. Air Asia (One Flight per day)

[in progress]

Getting Around
1. Taxi (very expensive, rates starting at RM15)
2. Grab Car
3. Car Rental
petirbuas
post Sep 25 2017, 03:42 PM

( 。◕ ‿‿ ◕。)
898 posts

Labuan is in my next year to-go list. I have no idea where to visit or what to do, but I'll just park here smile.gif
TSzstan
post Oct 15 2017, 06:06 PM

10k Club
All Stars
15,671 posts

QUOTE(petirbuas @ Sep 25 2017, 03:42 PM)
Labuan is in my next year to-go list. I have no idea where to visit or what to do, but I'll just park here  smile.gif
Hope you will enjoy Labuan rclxms.gif rclxms.gif
TSzstan
post Oct 15 2017, 06:10 PM

10k Club
All Stars
15,671 posts

Labuan Food Guide (纳闽岛美食) - Red Onion Restaurant

user posted imageRed Onion Labuan by zstan, on Flickr

If I have to rate the best Western restaurant in Labuan, Red Onion would be it. This cozy restaurant serves a wide variety of Italian food which ranges from pasta to pizza and to risotto. You can either be seated inside their restaurant or opt to dine by the pool which is situated just next door.

Personally I feel their tomato based pasta are their best. Price wise they are slightly on the high side (RM 15-RM 30) but they do offer lunch sets on weekdays which makes it very worth it. The best period would be the Ramadan month where they offered a 50 % discount across most of the items of their menu. I literally visited this place every other day when the offer was on. Highly recommended (10/10).

user posted imageDSC07899 by zstan, on Flickr

My recommendations:

1. RO Smoked Duck & Peach Pizza - really enjoyed the blend of saltiness from the duck and generous servings of cheese with slices of peaches (not fresh peaches, unfortunately).

user posted imageIMG_20170614_172754 by zstan, on Flickr

2. Tuna Rigatoni (choice of pasta can be changed) - generous amounts of tuna flakes over a tomato base

user posted imageIMG_20170521_184254 by zstan, on Flickr

3. Smoked Salmon Penne
4. Mushroom Soup - full with real mushrooms and the taste is on point.

5. Tiramisu - I've had better ones in KL but this is definitely one of the top in Labuan
user posted imageIMG_20170521_190829 by zstan, on Flickr

Business Hours:

user posted imageDSC07901 by zstan, on Flickr

*more pics in the blog*
ken_zie
post Oct 15 2017, 06:46 PM

Enthusiast
826 posts

QUOTE(zstan @ Sep 25 2017, 10:26 AM)
[Currently based here so might as well start a topic about it to promote this lesser known island]

Labuan , officially the Federal Territory of Labuan , is a federal territory of Malaysia. It is made up of the eponymous Labuan Island and six smaller islands, and is located off the coast of the state of Sabah in East Malaysia. Labuan's capital is Victoria and is best known as an offshore financial centre offering international financial and business services via Labuan IBFC since 1990 as well as being an offshore support hub for deepwater oil and gas activities in the region. It is also a tourist destination for people travelling through Sabah, nearby Bruneians and scuba divers. The name Labuan derives from the Malay word labuhan which means harbour. Labuan, which is also a duty free island (like Langkawi & Tioman) is often referred to as the pearl of Borneo. (Wikipedia)
Places of Attractions:
[in progress]

What to eat?
1. Red Onion

Getting Here

Flight:

[in progress]

Getting Around
2. Grab Car
3. Car Rental
I studied at there from 2007-2010. It's not a tourist attractions. Quiet, relaxing, slow pace place. I think there are lots of changes by now. I'm curious why you're visiting Labuan?
TSzstan
post Oct 15 2017, 08:00 PM

10k Club
All Stars
15,671 posts

QUOTE(ken_zie @ Oct 15 2017, 06:46 PM)
I studied at there from 2007-2010. It's not a tourist attractions. Quiet, relaxing, slow pace place. I think there are lots of changes by now. I'm curious why you're visiting Labuan?
Working here now biggrin.gif
ken_zie
post Oct 17 2017, 06:34 PM

Enthusiast
826 posts

QUOTE(zstan @ Oct 15 2017, 08:00 PM)
Working here now biggrin.gif
Then you'll have lots of time to enjoy the cheap liquors smile.gif
jian94
post Dec 17 2018, 07:15 PM

Getting Started
152 posts

Places of Attractions:
1. Chimney
2. Palm Beach Resort
3. Pulau Papan
4. Labuan Golf Club
5. Layangan Beach
6. Bird Park
7. Takes few days to explore Sabah
8. The Living Room (cafe)
[in progress]

*in case you need nightlife
1. Havoc
2. Beyond
3. Myth
4. Cheers pub in tiara (smoke free)

1. Havoc
What to eat?
1. Red Onion
2. Mee Sasak
3. Philippines pork rice at taman fuliwah
4. Mawilla for seafood
5. Blueberry snack house

Getting Here

Flight:
3. Malindo air
4. Ferry from Menumbok (Sabah)
5. Direct ferry express from Kota Kinabalu
6. Ferry from Brunei

[in progress]

Getting Around
2. Grab Car
3. Car Rental
4. Walk

I hope my update is useful
SUSxnxx
post Mar 25 2021, 09:27 PM

Getting Started
171 posts

I also wanted to go Labuan for travelling
thanks for the info

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version