Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Solo Traveller

views

ken_zie
post Nov 21 2018, 02:00 PM

Enthusiast
826 posts

Like most of the solo travellers here, the destinations that often come to mind is travelling out of Malaysia. Just wondering if anyone ever backpack throughout Malaysia? I'm quite ashamed to say that I never really solo travel in Malaysia and I'm thinking of doing it.
keyser soze
post Nov 21 2018, 02:12 PM

On my way
521 posts

When traveling solo I try not to get sim card. Only use internet when I stop at cafe and back to hostel.
Last year I did 2 months travel, using a fantastic offline map, "maps.me". I walk, drive and hike with it and still alive.
Next big plan is to solo cycling at New Zealand, but need to save enough leave.
First solo experience was on year 2000 to eastern Europe last one was long weekend break during labour day at HK.

dotatornado
post Nov 21 2018, 10:39 PM

Getting Started
132 posts

QUOTE(oldies1950 @ Nov 21 2018, 11:44 AM)
Been to New Zealand (( North and SOuth Island ) via Cycyling. 8 weeks.

Itinerary ........ Depends want you want from your trip......

How long going there ? 

When are you going ? Mid Dec till Mid Jan ... is PEAK season for NZ. ( Due to Australians and School Holidays )

Suggest period of travel .... 1 st Dec till 1 March . ( Summer time ... But also Peak season for travellers. )

Air Asia  ....... Last flight to Auckland ... In Feb 2019?  (https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/108457940/airasia-drops-auckland-route)

So possible to fly to Sydney/Melbourne then to Christchurch or Auckland. But flight froom Australia to NZ are EXPENSIVE. Better that you settle the flight first.

Solo in NZ is EASY !! Lots of Hostels every where. But Book in advance if the Place is full of tourist. Check out YHA or BBH ( NZ) which is similar to hostels but have a good listing and discount if you are a member.

Budget .... NZ 35 ( Accomodation ), 20 ( Food) , 10 (Transport) , 15 (( Misc )) ...Total .. NZ 80/ per day. (( Exculde air travel )).

Between big cities ... Bus/Coach is recommended. Trains are EXPENSIVE.  Bus/Coach at time have SPECIAL offer....So check it out.

Places ... Depends what you like ?

Nature ...South Island (( Must do in your LIFE time !! )).  North Island ...... Culture, ART, Wine , Hot springs, Small towns. Lakes, etc.

North Island ...... Auckland (( Art ,Museums, Wharf area,  Food and Easy Life style )) , Rototua (( Hot spring, culture, Forest , Lakes , Biking )) ,
Tapao (( Easy life style, food ,  Lake, Nature hiking, Mountain Biking) , Napier/Hastings (( Wine country (( V.Good)), Trails, easy life, Food, Cycling ) , Hamilton (( History, lakes, easy life, trails )

CHECK out the tourist Site of NZ. Very good tips.

South  Island ................... VERY , VERY LONG LIST.

SIM card ...... Reach NZ then just go to any Malls or Supermarkets. Buy sim card and top up to Data Plans is Sufficient.

K-POP Fan....... Place where "I" by Taeyeon . AUckland ........... "The Portland Public House" ( Google map)  . Where the video was done. Go for Lunch and try out their Special Offer.
Nice ...Chic Place, good food and ambience. Off Peak time ....... food is Recommended.

ATM CASH withdrawals....... MOST ATM in NZ can withdraw CASH. Active your ATM card for overseas withdrawal. Note ... service charge (( depends on Bank)). Use BIG banks ATM.
thank for the info , will keep it for next trip , im feel need longer time to spand at NZ , so i'm change my mind last min , now already booking air ticket to hokkaido on Jan , got any tips about there ?>

dotatornado
post Nov 21 2018, 10:41 PM

Getting Started
132 posts

QUOTE(xriies @ Nov 21 2018, 10:29 AM)
Why not Jeju? Jeju is a beautiful island and also suitable for solo traveller. I'm going to Jeju next year for 2 weeks. That will be my first solo trip btw. smile.gif

but in order to explore Jeju you have to take buses to travel around. or you can rent a car/bicycle.
full of place want to go, but korea not in my list yet .. thank for advice.
oldies1950
post Nov 22 2018, 10:48 AM

Validating
43 posts

QUOTE(dotatornado @ Nov 21 2018, 11:39 PM)
thank for the info , will keep it for next trip , im feel need longer time to spand at NZ , so i'm change my mind last min , now already booking air ticket to hokkaido on Jan , got any tips about there ?>
Hokkaido in Jan ????

Prepared to have your BUTT FROZEN. Plus .............. Ice and Show everywhere. But it is your WISH.

Suggest to go to Phu Quoc ( Vietnam Island with Direct flights ) . Just OPEN up..... But Jan is a BUSY Period. Prepare for ........... But BEACH .... ( PS :- Loves the BEACH )
dotatornado
post Nov 22 2018, 08:22 PM

Getting Started
132 posts

QUOTE(oldies1950 @ Nov 22 2018, 10:48 AM)
Hokkaido in Jan ????

Prepared to have your BUTT FROZEN. Plus .............. Ice and Show everywhere. But it is your WISH.

Suggest to go to Phu Quoc ( Vietnam Island with Direct flights ) . Just OPEN up..... But Jan is a BUSY Period. Prepare for ........... But BEACH .... ( PS :- Loves the BEACH )
yup smile.gif , never been to country in winter before , hope can try it smile.gif

yo_yo
post Nov 22 2018, 10:51 PM

Casual
337 posts

QUOTE(oldies1950 @ Nov 21 2018, 11:44 AM)
Been to New Zealand (( North and SOuth Island ) via Cycyling. 8 weeks.

Itinerary ........ Depends want you want from your trip......

How long going there ? 

When are you going ? Mid Dec till Mid Jan ... is PEAK season for NZ. ( Due to Australians and School Holidays )

Suggest period of travel .... 1 st Dec till 1 March . ( Summer time ... But also Peak season for travellers. )

Air Asia  ....... Last flight to Auckland ... In Feb 2019?  (https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/108457940/airasia-drops-auckland-route)

So possible to fly to Sydney/Melbourne then to Christchurch or Auckland. But flight froom Australia to NZ are EXPENSIVE. Better that you settle the flight first.

Solo in NZ is EASY !! Lots of Hostels every where. But Book in advance if the Place is full of tourist. Check out YHA or BBH ( NZ) which is similar to hostels but have a good listing and discount if you are a member.

Budget .... NZ 35 ( Accomodation ), 20 ( Food) , 10 (Transport) , 15 (( Misc )) ...Total .. NZ 80/ per day. (( Exculde air travel )).

Between big cities ... Bus/Coach is recommended. Trains are EXPENSIVE.  Bus/Coach at time have SPECIAL offer....So check it out.

Places ... Depends what you like ?

Nature ...South Island (( Must do in your LIFE time !! )).  North Island ...... Culture, ART, Wine , Hot springs, Small towns. Lakes, etc.

North Island ...... Auckland (( Art ,Museums, Wharf area,  Food and Easy Life style )) , Rototua (( Hot spring, culture, Forest , Lakes , Biking )) ,
Tapao (( Easy life style, food ,  Lake, Nature hiking, Mountain Biking) , Napier/Hastings (( Wine country (( V.Good)), Trails, easy life, Food, Cycling ) , Hamilton (( History, lakes, easy life, trails )

CHECK out the tourist Site of NZ. Very good tips.

South  Island ................... VERY , VERY LONG LIST.

SIM card ...... Reach NZ then just go to any Malls or Supermarkets. Buy sim card and top up to Data Plans is Sufficient.

K-POP Fan....... Place where "I" by Taeyeon . AUckland ........... "The Portland Public House" ( Google map)  . Where the video was done. Go for Lunch and try out their Special Offer.
Nice ...Chic Place, good food and ambience. Off Peak time ....... food is Recommended.

ATM CASH withdrawals....... MOST ATM in NZ can withdraw CASH. Active your ATM card for overseas withdrawal. Note ... service charge (( depends on Bank)). Use BIG banks ATM.
Good advice!

I also suggest to check out their tourist information counter. Sometimes u may get discount trips from there.

Try visiting the hobbit place in rotorua area. Now it's decorated very nicely.

Last time I travel around by bus and tour booked at the information counter.
yo_yo
post Nov 22 2018, 10:53 PM

Casual
337 posts

QUOTE(uglyduckling422 @ Nov 8 2018, 04:43 PM)
Is Brunei safe is travelling alone for female? never try solo before. If can really don't want solo. Thanks
I think it's alright to travel solo in Brunei. How long do u intend to stay there?

8 Pages « < 6 7 8Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0128sec    0.39    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:44 PM