Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Ikea Kitchen Cabinet - Anyone Installed One?, How Long Does It Last?

views

SUSadvocado
post Sep 26 2017, 12:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Sep 21 2017, 11:00 AM)
Even with granite, you would not want to cut anything on it without using cutting board. It will grooved the surface. However, surface can be polished again.

Cabinet frame from wood can last very long. Many cabinet now used MDF board. It has water proof type as well. Doors are made of chipboard as well but laminated with plastic material. So, it can last very long as well. Wooden door can be repainted and it will not cost much either.

With modern kitchen cabinet you can always change the top material if you get bored with old one.

I used solid surface which is more less acrylic based material (simply can be called plastic) as well. It has served me more than 10 years now  smile.gif
i hear alot of people talking about scratches & heat issue on acrylic. how do you find this issue so far?

when they say scratch, i'm not sure what type of scratch. obviously a direct scratch with a key gonna scratch it, but what about normal things like sliding a milo tin around when making milo? or eating on the island with plates, cups moving around without a table mat?

and regarding the heat. obviously putting a pan straight out from the hob gonna leave a mark or melt the surface. what about a bowl of hot soup? or a cup of hot coffee directly on the table?

so far what i hear is Quartz is the best all arounder in terms of non-porous, anti scratch/heat, acceptable price (depending on model) compared to Granite & Acrylics.
SUSadvocado
post Sep 26 2017, 01:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Sep 26 2017, 12:37 PM)
Cannot recall what was mine already but in general it is still harder than chopping board. scratches line is hardly noticeable. Just like your car paint, you can polish it to shine. Normal activity like sliding tin cans, glasses, plates, etc. no problem. Put hot glass or hot pot also will not leave any mark though I rarely done it. Normally I just put in on top of plain thin cloth. The spec says it is safe to put anyway. Been using for 10 years + already. It is seamlessly joined to my sink, which is same material. Problem is the sink is white in color. So, it stained a bit after long period. I just rub it with Cif and become new again. Yes, it will not be mirror shine but like matte finish for sink. I can use fine polish to make it shine. The installer last time used car polish as final finishing touch.
why sink you don't opt for Stainless steel? have yet see solid surface sinks.

also aren't putting car wax/polisher on kitchen table, not so good health wise? i mean they are meant to use on exterior surfaces. unless you wipe totally clean of the wax/polisher but then it will be less shine without the coat.

This post has been edited by advocado: Sep 26 2017, 01:09 PM
SUSadvocado
post Sep 26 2017, 04:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(Zot @ Sep 26 2017, 02:09 PM)
Two reason for not using metal or stainless:
1) Condensation under the sink because the cabinet under sink is hotter. So, it will become wet. Worse case even water droplet  laugh.gif
2) Sink is either top mount or bottom mount. If top mount, the lid surrounding the sink is sitting on top. The water from table top cannot flow into sink. If wipe with hand also need to go over bump. If bottom mount, there will be narrow grove or slot between table top and sink. This is hard to clean and usually mold/fungus heaven.  laugh.gif

So, solid top sink will have none of the above problem and can be joined look like one piece.

I never polish mine and still look okay. If you need to polish, you can polish with any polishing material. I don;t need to mirror-like reflection but just normal shine. Like I said, never polish it since.
why not ceramic like toilet basin?
SUSadvocado
post Sep 26 2017, 05:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(setoyo @ Sep 26 2017, 04:47 PM)
Thanks for the germ tips  laugh.gif

Im going to take Ikea DOMSJĂ– sink.
Ceramic based and i think its for easy to maintain it.  icon_rolleyes.gif
[attachmentid=9173428]
those grooves are gonna be germ traps.
SUSadvocado
post Sep 26 2017, 07:25 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,948 posts

QUOTE(setoyo @ Sep 26 2017, 06:10 PM)
The grooves part,
I don't feel the germs will traps there.
Just a wipe with cloth, it will be clean back
they look abit deep plus narrow, so might be abit troublesome if dirty water stuck there. but as long you are ok with it.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0192sec    0.53    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:00 PM