Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Ikea Kitchen Cabinet - Anyone Installed One?, How Long Does It Last?

views

Zot
post Sep 21 2017, 11:00 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,591 posts

Even with granite, you would not want to cut anything on it without using cutting board. It will grooved the surface. However, surface can be polished again.

Cabinet frame from wood can last very long. Many cabinet now used MDF board. It has water proof type as well. Doors are made of chipboard as well but laminated with plastic material. So, it can last very long as well. Wooden door can be repainted and it will not cost much either.

With modern kitchen cabinet you can always change the top material if you get bored with old one.

I used solid surface which is more less acrylic based material (simply can be called plastic) as well. It has served me more than 10 years now smile.gif
Zot
post Sep 22 2017, 10:28 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,591 posts

QUOTE(ryder_78 @ Sep 22 2017, 10:18 AM)
I don't mean cutting vegetables or other food stuff on the granite itself. What I meant is the sharp objects such as knives or scissors may cut the wood surface since these things will be mainly used in the kitchen. These sharp objects will need to be handled with care so as they won't accidentally cause a cut line on the surface due to mishandling or accident. Say after cutting vegetables on a chopping board and we place the knife on the wood tabletop, the sharp surface of the knife may hit the wood surface first if one is not careful. If the force is great, there will be a chip on the wood surface.

Similarly, hot pots and kettles cannot be placed directly on the wood surface as it will cause deformation and damage in the long-run, so in this sense practicality it loses to granite tops.

Will see how it goes. Every time Ikea is mentioned, people will think cheap. However, the kitchen cabinet options are not really cheap. I have read about quotations going up to RM10k or more for a small to medium-sized kitchen, even when there is no granite top and concrete frame which will take up a rather huge chunk of money already. If Ikea offers granite top and do concrete frame for the granite top, the kitchen cabinet will cost a lot more than the current prices.
What I meant was that you are not cutting anything on table top. You are using chopping board biggrin.gif

Yes, putting hot pot will burn wood or Formica surface. Once you get the designer, the cost is is twice the material I believe. The granite top normally put on wooden frame. I hardly see kitchen designer use concrete frame. I would say that Ikea cabinet material is the same as those used by kitchen designer. The table top is your preference and the cost related to the material.
Zot
post Sep 22 2017, 11:53 AM

Look at all my stars!!
7,591 posts

QUOTE(ozak @ Sep 22 2017, 11:29 AM)
If you want to cut or put a hot pot on the table top, you can use Korean table top. Last freaking long.
You meant Corean, the solid table top? I'm using something similar but not the Corean from Dupont smile.gif
Zot
post Sep 26 2017, 12:37 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,591 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Sep 26 2017, 12:03 PM)
i hear alot of people talking about scratches & heat issue on acrylic. how do you find this issue so far?

when they say scratch, i'm not sure what type of scratch. obviously a direct scratch with a key gonna scratch it, but what about normal things like sliding a milo tin around when making milo? or eating on the island with plates, cups moving around without a table mat?

and regarding the heat. obviously putting a pan straight out from the hob gonna leave a mark or melt the surface. what about a bowl of hot soup? or a cup of hot coffee directly on the table?

so far what i hear is Quartz is the best all arounder in terms of non-porous, anti scratch/heat, acceptable price (depending on model) compared to Granite & Acrylics.
Cannot recall what was mine already but in general it is still harder than chopping board. scratches line is hardly noticeable. Just like your car paint, you can polish it to shine. Normal activity like sliding tin cans, glasses, plates, etc. no problem. Put hot glass or hot pot also will not leave any mark though I rarely done it. Normally I just put in on top of plain thin cloth. The spec says it is safe to put anyway. Been using for 10 years + already. It is seamlessly joined to my sink, which is same material. Problem is the sink is white in color. So, it stained a bit after long period. I just rub it with Cif and become new again. Yes, it will not be mirror shine but like matte finish for sink. I can use fine polish to make it shine. The installer last time used car polish as final finishing touch.
Zot
post Sep 26 2017, 02:09 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,591 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Sep 26 2017, 01:08 PM)
why sink you don't opt for Stainless steel? have yet see solid surface sinks.

also aren't putting car wax/polisher on kitchen table, not so good health wise? i mean they are meant to use on exterior surfaces. unless you wipe totally clean of the wax/polisher but then it will be less shine without the coat.
Two reason for not using metal or stainless:
1) Condensation under the sink because the cabinet under sink is hotter. So, it will become wet. Worse case even water droplet laugh.gif
2) Sink is either top mount or bottom mount. If top mount, the lid surrounding the sink is sitting on top. The water from table top cannot flow into sink. If wipe with hand also need to go over bump. If bottom mount, there will be narrow grove or slot between table top and sink. This is hard to clean and usually mold/fungus heaven. laugh.gif

So, solid top sink will have none of the above problem and can be joined look like one piece.

I never polish mine and still look okay. If you need to polish, you can polish with any polishing material. I don;t need to mirror-like reflection but just normal shine. Like I said, never polish it since.
Zot
post Sep 26 2017, 05:42 PM

Look at all my stars!!
7,591 posts

QUOTE(advocado @ Sep 26 2017, 04:19 PM)
why not ceramic like toilet basin?
When you drop your glass or plate on ceramic/glass/marble surface material, sounds like breaking something already laugh.gif

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0190sec    0.35    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:18 PM