Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Announcement

Please post GE14 related topics in the following new section ► https://forum.lowyat.net/MalaysiaVotes2018

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Ikea Kitchen Cabinet - Anyone Installed One?, How Long Does It Last?

ar188
post Sep 22 2017, 01:16 PM

Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

QUOTE(ozak @ Sep 22 2017, 12:09 PM)
Oop, my bad. Yup should be Corean table top.

Mind not solid. Laminated over the wood.
what is corean top? korean ah? laugh.gif

I only heard of Corian solid surfaces
jetwash
post Sep 22 2017, 05:48 PM

On high-altitude training

QUOTE(ar188 @ Sep 22 2017, 01:16 PM)
what is corean top? korean ah? laugh.gif

I only heard of Corian solid surfaces
I googled too. Corian.

Thanks for the heads up, though.
yw46
post Sep 23 2017, 12:05 AM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(ryder_78 @ Sep 21 2017, 10:40 AM)
I just got to know that the kitchen cabinet from Ikea does not come with granite top and concrete framework. For this reason I am doubtful on the quality of the kitchen cabinet, whether it can last for a long time.

Only wood top is offered, and in terms of practicality it will not match granite tops as you cannot put hot pots or pans on the wood top and one will have to be careful not cut the wood surface with sharp objects that may cause a dent or cut lines on top of the wood surface.

Since there is no concrete framework and top, the cabinet itself may not be so secure or lasting. Though all these are my thoughts since I have no real world experience. Hence the purpose of this post.

Has anyone installed an Ikea kitchen cabinet at your homes? I would appreciate if you can share your experience on the reliability or quality of the cabinet, whether the quality is good or the wood top is practical etc. I am just not sure about the reliability in the long-term when compared to conventional kitchens with granite top and concrete framework which can usually last for a long time up to 20 years or more without much issues other than the wooden doors showing some wear or stains etc.
Ikea does have concrete concrete countertop.
http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/Custom_Countertops/

jetwash
post Sep 23 2017, 01:04 PM

QUOTE(yw46 @ Sep 23 2017, 12:05 AM)
Is it available in Malaysia?
yw46
post Sep 23 2017, 04:32 PM

Casual

QUOTE(jetwash @ Sep 23 2017, 01:04 PM)
Is it available in Malaysia?
Yes. You can see the material in store.
bamkai
post Sep 23 2017, 04:56 PM

Getting Started

Can i know how they charge for delivery fees?
ryder_78
post Sep 23 2017, 05:29 PM

Regular

QUOTE(yw46 @ Sep 23 2017, 12:05 AM)
Before I created this thread I have sent an inquiry via email to Ikea Malaysia and they replied saying they don't have granite top and concrete support frame for their kitchen cabinet. If they don't have granite top, it is comprehensible they don't use concrete framework as their wooden tops are considerably lighter and do not need the strong concrete support to hold the wooden tops in place.
yw46
post Sep 23 2017, 06:57 PM

Casual

QUOTE(ryder_78 @ Sep 23 2017, 05:29 PM)
Before I created this thread I have sent an inquiry via email to Ikea Malaysia and they replied saying they don't have granite top and concrete support frame for their kitchen cabinet. If they don't have granite top, it is comprehensible they don't use concrete framework as their wooden tops are considerably lighter and do not need the strong concrete support to hold the wooden tops in place.
It is not granite but acrylic. The support frame is still wooden.
user posted image
advocado
post Sep 26 2017, 12:03 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Zot @ Sep 21 2017, 11:00 AM)
Even with granite, you would not want to cut anything on it without using cutting board. It will grooved the surface. However, surface can be polished again.

Cabinet frame from wood can last very long. Many cabinet now used MDF board. It has water proof type as well. Doors are made of chipboard as well but laminated with plastic material. So, it can last very long as well. Wooden door can be repainted and it will not cost much either.

With modern kitchen cabinet you can always change the top material if you get bored with old one.

I used solid surface which is more less acrylic based material (simply can be called plastic) as well. It has served me more than 10 years now  smile.gif
i hear alot of people talking about scratches & heat issue on acrylic. how do you find this issue so far?

when they say scratch, i'm not sure what type of scratch. obviously a direct scratch with a key gonna scratch it, but what about normal things like sliding a milo tin around when making milo? or eating on the island with plates, cups moving around without a table mat?

and regarding the heat. obviously putting a pan straight out from the hob gonna leave a mark or melt the surface. what about a bowl of hot soup? or a cup of hot coffee directly on the table?

so far what i hear is Quartz is the best all arounder in terms of non-porous, anti scratch/heat, acceptable price (depending on model) compared to Granite & Acrylics.
Zot
post Sep 26 2017, 12:37 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(advocado @ Sep 26 2017, 12:03 PM)
i hear alot of people talking about scratches & heat issue on acrylic. how do you find this issue so far?

when they say scratch, i'm not sure what type of scratch. obviously a direct scratch with a key gonna scratch it, but what about normal things like sliding a milo tin around when making milo? or eating on the island with plates, cups moving around without a table mat?

and regarding the heat. obviously putting a pan straight out from the hob gonna leave a mark or melt the surface. what about a bowl of hot soup? or a cup of hot coffee directly on the table?

so far what i hear is Quartz is the best all arounder in terms of non-porous, anti scratch/heat, acceptable price (depending on model) compared to Granite & Acrylics.
Cannot recall what was mine already but in general it is still harder than chopping board. scratches line is hardly noticeable. Just like your car paint, you can polish it to shine. Normal activity like sliding tin cans, glasses, plates, etc. no problem. Put hot glass or hot pot also will not leave any mark though I rarely done it. Normally I just put in on top of plain thin cloth. The spec says it is safe to put anyway. Been using for 10 years + already. It is seamlessly joined to my sink, which is same material. Problem is the sink is white in color. So, it stained a bit after long period. I just rub it with Cif and become new again. Yes, it will not be mirror shine but like matte finish for sink. I can use fine polish to make it shine. The installer last time used car polish as final finishing touch.
advocado
post Sep 26 2017, 01:08 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Zot @ Sep 26 2017, 12:37 PM)
Cannot recall what was mine already but in general it is still harder than chopping board. scratches line is hardly noticeable. Just like your car paint, you can polish it to shine. Normal activity like sliding tin cans, glasses, plates, etc. no problem. Put hot glass or hot pot also will not leave any mark though I rarely done it. Normally I just put in on top of plain thin cloth. The spec says it is safe to put anyway. Been using for 10 years + already. It is seamlessly joined to my sink, which is same material. Problem is the sink is white in color. So, it stained a bit after long period. I just rub it with Cif and become new again. Yes, it will not be mirror shine but like matte finish for sink. I can use fine polish to make it shine. The installer last time used car polish as final finishing touch.
why sink you don't opt for Stainless steel? have yet see solid surface sinks.

also aren't putting car wax/polisher on kitchen table, not so good health wise? i mean they are meant to use on exterior surfaces. unless you wipe totally clean of the wax/polisher but then it will be less shine without the coat.

This post has been edited by advocado: Sep 26 2017, 01:09 PM
Zot
post Sep 26 2017, 02:09 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(advocado @ Sep 26 2017, 01:08 PM)
why sink you don't opt for Stainless steel? have yet see solid surface sinks.

also aren't putting car wax/polisher on kitchen table, not so good health wise? i mean they are meant to use on exterior surfaces. unless you wipe totally clean of the wax/polisher but then it will be less shine without the coat.
Two reason for not using metal or stainless:
1) Condensation under the sink because the cabinet under sink is hotter. So, it will become wet. Worse case even water droplet laugh.gif
2) Sink is either top mount or bottom mount. If top mount, the lid surrounding the sink is sitting on top. The water from table top cannot flow into sink. If wipe with hand also need to go over bump. If bottom mount, there will be narrow grove or slot between table top and sink. This is hard to clean and usually mold/fungus heaven. laugh.gif

So, solid top sink will have none of the above problem and can be joined look like one piece.

I never polish mine and still look okay. If you need to polish, you can polish with any polishing material. I don;t need to mirror-like reflection but just normal shine. Like I said, never polish it since.
advocado
post Sep 26 2017, 04:19 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(Zot @ Sep 26 2017, 02:09 PM)
1) Condensation under the sink because the cabinet under sink is hotter. So, it will become wet. Worse case even water droplet  laugh.gif
2) Sink is either top mount or bottom mount. If top mount, the lid surrounding the sink is sitting on top. The water from table top cannot flow into sink. If wipe with hand also need to go over bump. If bottom mount, there will be narrow grove or slot between table top and sink. This is hard to clean and usually mold/fungus heaven.  laugh.gif

So, solid top sink will have none of the above problem and can be joined look like one piece.

I never polish mine and still look okay. If you need to polish, you can polish with any polishing material. I don;t need to mirror-like reflection but just normal shine. Like I said, never polish it since.
why not ceramic like toilet basin?
setoyo
post Sep 26 2017, 04:47 PM

Luv MySeLF!

QUOTE(Zot @ Sep 26 2017, 02:09 PM)
1) Condensation under the sink because the cabinet under sink is hotter. So, it will become wet. Worse case even water droplet  laugh.gif
2) Sink is either top mount or bottom mount. If top mount, the lid surrounding the sink is sitting on top. The water from table top cannot flow into sink. If wipe with hand also need to go over bump. If bottom mount, there will be narrow grove or slot between table top and sink. This is hard to clean and usually mold/fungus heaven.  laugh.gif

Thanks for the germ tips laugh.gif

Im going to take Ikea DOMSJÖ sink.
Ceramic based and i think its for easy to maintain it. icon_rolleyes.gif

Attached Image
Zot
post Sep 26 2017, 05:42 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(advocado @ Sep 26 2017, 04:19 PM)
why not ceramic like toilet basin?
When you drop your glass or plate on ceramic/glass/marble surface material, sounds like breaking something already laugh.gif
advocado
post Sep 26 2017, 05:46 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(setoyo @ Sep 26 2017, 04:47 PM)
Thanks for the germ tips  laugh.gif

Im going to take Ikea DOMSJÖ sink.
Ceramic based and i think its for easy to maintain it.  icon_rolleyes.gif
Attached Image
those grooves are gonna be germ traps.
setoyo
post Sep 26 2017, 06:10 PM

Luv MySeLF!

QUOTE(advocado @ Sep 26 2017, 05:46 PM)
those grooves are gonna be germ traps.
The grooves part,
I don't feel the germs will traps there.
Just a wipe with cloth, it will be clean back
advocado
post Sep 26 2017, 07:25 PM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(setoyo @ Sep 26 2017, 06:10 PM)
The grooves part,
I don't feel the germs will traps there.
Just a wipe with cloth, it will be clean back
they look abit deep plus narrow, so might be abit troublesome if dirty water stuck there. but as long you are ok with it.
nuke13
post Jan 2 2018, 04:25 PM

Casual

QUOTE(jetwash @ Sep 21 2017, 02:05 PM)
Mine (installed by previous owner) has already lasted 10 years. Countertop is concrete + tiles though.
Can you share the picture of your kitchen cabinet? I like the idea of ikea kitchen cabinet with concrete top.

My kitchen already have concrete table top. I was going to do 3g glass with aluminum frame. But I saw my brother's house just installed ikea cabinet with all the fittings it looked really cool.
jetwash
post Jan 3 2018, 08:29 AM

QUOTE(nuke13 @ Jan 2 2018, 04:25 PM)
Can you share the picture of your kitchen cabinet? I like the idea of ikea kitchen cabinet with concrete top.

My kitchen already have concrete table top. I was going to do 3g glass with aluminum frame. But I saw my brother's house just installed ikea cabinet with all the fittings it looked really cool.
We've rented that house out already. Might be a while before I can share those pics.

3 Pages < 1 2 3 >Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0801sec    4.51    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th April 2018 - 09:21 AM