Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Bottom
Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Ikea Kitchen Cabinet - Anyone Installed One?, How Long Does It Last?

ryder_78
post Sep 21 2017, 10:40 AM, updated 4 months ago

Enthusiast
Group: Senior Member

I just got to know that the kitchen cabinet from Ikea does not come with granite top and concrete framework. For this reason I am doubtful on the quality of the kitchen cabinet, whether it can last for a long time.

Only wood top is offered, and in terms of practicality it will not match granite tops as you cannot put hot pots or pans on the wood top and one will have to be careful not cut the wood surface with sharp objects that may cause a dent or cut lines on top of the wood surface.

Since there is no concrete framework and top, the cabinet itself may not be so secure or lasting. Though all these are my thoughts since I have no real world experience. Hence the purpose of this post.

Has anyone installed an Ikea kitchen cabinet at your homes? I would appreciate if you can share your experience on the reliability or quality of the cabinet, whether the quality is good or the wood top is practical etc. I am just not sure about the reliability in the long-term when compared to conventional kitchens with granite top and concrete framework which can usually last for a long time up to 20 years or more without much issues other than the wooden doors showing some wear or stains etc.
pff
post Sep 21 2017, 10:52 AM

Getting Started
Group: Junior Member

All I can say is you get what you pay for. Ikea is marketed as being cheap and available for all, so you're never going to get premium quality for cheap prices.
hanknives
post Sep 21 2017, 10:57 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(pff @ Sep 21 2017, 10:52 AM)
All I can say is you get what you pay for. Ikea is marketed as being cheap and available for all, so you're never going to get premium quality for cheap prices.
second that
Zot
post Sep 21 2017, 11:00 AM

Look at all my stars!!

Even with granite, you would not want to cut anything on it without using cutting board. It will grooved the surface. However, surface can be polished again.

Cabinet frame from wood can last very long. Many cabinet now used MDF board. It has water proof type as well. Doors are made of chipboard as well but laminated with plastic material. So, it can last very long as well. Wooden door can be repainted and it will not cost much either.

With modern kitchen cabinet you can always change the top material if you get bored with old one.

I used solid surface which is more less acrylic based material (simply can be called plastic) as well. It has served me more than 10 years now smile.gif
BookerLewitt
post Sep 21 2017, 11:06 AM

These days most kitchen cabinets don't use concrete what. If you don't like Ikea's tabletop, just buy one separately. I have the solid butcher block tabletop myself and I gotta agree with the maintenance part. It's not really practical for Malaysian kitchen (wet kitchen).

endymeon
post Sep 21 2017, 11:25 AM

Getting Started

For the price you've paid in IKEA, you need to give in for some quality. You can opt to upgrade the counter top yourself.
ozak
post Sep 21 2017, 12:06 PM

10k Club

QUOTE(ryder_78 @ Sep 21 2017, 10:40 AM)
I just got to know that the kitchen cabinet from Ikea does not come with granite top and concrete framework. For this reason I am doubtful on the quality of the kitchen cabinet, whether it can last for a long time.

Only wood top is offered, and in terms of practicality it will not match granite tops as you cannot put hot pots or pans on the wood top and one will have to be careful not cut the wood surface with sharp objects that may cause a dent or cut lines on top of the wood surface.

Since there is no concrete framework and top, the cabinet itself may not be so secure or lasting. Though all these are my thoughts since I have no real world experience. Hence the purpose of this post.

Has anyone installed an Ikea kitchen cabinet at your homes? I would appreciate if you can share your experience on the reliability or quality of the cabinet, whether the quality is good or the wood top is practical etc. I am just not sure about the reliability in the long-term when compared to conventional kitchens with granite top and concrete framework which can usually last for a long time up to 20 years or more without much issues other than the wooden doors showing some wear or stains etc.
This topic have already. Search for it.

Somebody here use it many yrs already.

Ikea kitchen cabinet can last very long. And they have warranty for it.
sonypshomer
post Sep 21 2017, 01:03 PM

Enthusiast

Ikea not that cheap also, you can find some contractors do it better and granite top included
henryj8
post Sep 21 2017, 01:38 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(ozak @ Sep 21 2017, 12:06 PM)
This topic have already. Search for it.

Somebody here use it many yrs already.

Ikea kitchen cabinet can last very long. And they have warranty for it.
Yes. Depend on what you paid for. Don't expect cheap thing from any places can last.
jetwash
post Sep 21 2017, 02:05 PM

On high-altitude training

Mine (installed by previous owner) has already lasted 10 years. Countertop is concrete + tiles though.
kimirockz
post Sep 21 2017, 08:51 PM

On my way

always heard from others, ikea is not means for long lasting. u hv to use it gently.
ozak
post Sep 22 2017, 12:25 AM

10k Club

QUOTE(kimirockz @ Sep 21 2017, 08:51 PM)
always heard from others, ikea is not means for long lasting. u hv to use it gently.
Got people here use IKEA kitchen more than 10yrs.

Search for it.
jetwash
post Sep 22 2017, 09:50 AM

On high-altitude training

Planning for ikea modular cabinets for my next house too.
ryder_78
post Sep 22 2017, 10:18 AM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(Zot @ Sep 21 2017, 11:00 AM)
Even with granite, you would not want to cut anything on it without using cutting board. It will grooved the surface. However, surface can be polished again.

Cabinet frame from wood can last very long. Many cabinet now used MDF board. It has water proof type as well. Doors are made of chipboard as well but laminated with plastic material. So, it can last very long as well. Wooden door can be repainted and it will not cost much either.

With modern kitchen cabinet you can always change the top material if you get bored with old one.

I used solid surface which is more less acrylic based material (simply can be called plastic) as well. It has served me more than 10 years now  smile.gif
I don't mean cutting vegetables or other food stuff on the granite itself. What I meant is the sharp objects such as knives or scissors may cut the wood surface since these things will be mainly used in the kitchen. These sharp objects will need to be handled with care so as they won't accidentally cause a cut line on the surface due to mishandling or accident. Say after cutting vegetables on a chopping board and we place the knife on the wood tabletop, the sharp surface of the knife may hit the wood surface first if one is not careful. If the force is great, there will be a chip on the wood surface.

Similarly, hot pots and kettles cannot be placed directly on the wood surface as it will cause deformation and damage in the long-run, so in this sense practicality it loses to granite tops.

Will see how it goes. Every time Ikea is mentioned, people will think cheap. However, the kitchen cabinet options are not really cheap. I have read about quotations going up to RM10k or more for a small to medium-sized kitchen, even when there is no granite top and concrete frame which will take up a rather huge chunk of money already. If Ikea offers granite top and do concrete frame for the granite top, the kitchen cabinet will cost a lot more than the current prices.
Zot
post Sep 22 2017, 10:28 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(ryder_78 @ Sep 22 2017, 10:18 AM)
I don't mean cutting vegetables or other food stuff on the granite itself. What I meant is the sharp objects such as knives or scissors may cut the wood surface since these things will be mainly used in the kitchen. These sharp objects will need to be handled with care so as they won't accidentally cause a cut line on the surface due to mishandling or accident. Say after cutting vegetables on a chopping board and we place the knife on the wood tabletop, the sharp surface of the knife may hit the wood surface first if one is not careful. If the force is great, there will be a chip on the wood surface.

Similarly, hot pots and kettles cannot be placed directly on the wood surface as it will cause deformation and damage in the long-run, so in this sense practicality it loses to granite tops.

Will see how it goes. Every time Ikea is mentioned, people will think cheap. However, the kitchen cabinet options are not really cheap. I have read about quotations going up to RM10k or more for a small to medium-sized kitchen, even when there is no granite top and concrete frame which will take up a rather huge chunk of money already. If Ikea offers granite top and do concrete frame for the granite top, the kitchen cabinet will cost a lot more than the current prices.
What I meant was that you are not cutting anything on table top. You are using chopping board biggrin.gif

Yes, putting hot pot will burn wood or Formica surface. Once you get the designer, the cost is is twice the material I believe. The granite top normally put on wooden frame. I hardly see kitchen designer use concrete frame. I would say that Ikea cabinet material is the same as those used by kitchen designer. The table top is your preference and the cost related to the material.
ryder_78
post Sep 22 2017, 10:34 AM

Enthusiast

QUOTE(Zot @ Sep 22 2017, 10:28 AM)
What I meant was that you are not cutting anything on table top. You are using chopping board  biggrin.gif

Yes, putting hot pot will burn wood or Formica surface. Once you get the designer, the cost is is twice the material I believe. The granite top normally put on wooden frame. I hardly see kitchen designer use concrete frame. I would say that Ikea cabinet material is the same as those used by kitchen designer. The table top is your preference and the cost related to the material.
Yes, I knew you were referring to not cutting anything on the table top and using a chopping board.

The granite table top in the kitchen of my current house is on reinforced concrete frame ie. reinforced concrete top slab supported by concrete pillars. I am not aware of the use of wood frame to support granite tops but the cost will be surely lower. Granite tops are heavy so it will need a firm and strong support and for this reason reinforced concrete frame is usually used for the support.
ozak
post Sep 22 2017, 11:29 AM

10k Club

QUOTE(Zot @ Sep 22 2017, 10:28 AM)
What I meant was that you are not cutting anything on table top. You are using chopping board  biggrin.gif

If you want to cut or put a hot pot on the table top, you can use Korean table top. Last freaking long.
Zot
post Sep 22 2017, 11:53 AM

Look at all my stars!!

QUOTE(ozak @ Sep 22 2017, 11:29 AM)
If you want to cut or put a hot pot on the table top, you can use Korean table top. Last freaking long.
You meant Corean, the solid table top? I'm using something similar but not the Corean from Dupont smile.gif
ozak
post Sep 22 2017, 12:09 PM

10k Club

QUOTE(Zot @ Sep 22 2017, 11:53 AM)
You meant Corean, the solid table top? I'm using something similar but not the Corean from Dupont  smile.gif
Oop, my bad. Yup should be Corean table top.

Mind not solid. Laminated over the wood.
BookerLewitt
post Sep 22 2017, 12:47 PM

QUOTE(ryder_78 @ Sep 21 2017, 08:18 PM)

Cut lines are easy to remove, if its just normal cutting, just wipe it with oil. If its deep enough, use the green part of your sponge to wipe and oil it again. It's really hard to accidentally chip a solid wood countertop (unless you use the particleboard I guess?). Prolly need to drop a cleaver hard enough on the edge of the countertop to chip it.

Burn marks on the other hand... gg rclxms.gif

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0774sec    4.79    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 20th January 2018 - 11:16 PM