Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Continental UC6 vs Goodyear Assurance Triplemax

views

TSSportyHandling
post Sep 18 2017, 09:23 AM, updated 7y ago

Casual
419 posts

I have been surveying the right tyres for my car for the past few months. Due to the size, the options are limited if priorities are more toward handling and all-rounder. I understand it may be difficult to have someone compare all the tyres as mentioned below. However, if there is anyone who has compared any 2 of these tyres (or more), I would appreciate your experience.

The shortlisted tyres in chronological order from most preferred to less preferred

Goodyear Assurance Triplemax
Continental Ultracontact UC6
Continental ComfortContact CC6
Continental ContiPremiumContact 5
Continental ContiMaxContact MC5

I have done a bit of survey on some of the Continental tyres and it's almost impossible to individually rate these tyres. From Continental website, the CPC5 and MC5 are said to be good in handling. On other car forums, the CPC5 was said to be cheap and poor quality while the MC5 was said to be great in handling but only in the first 10,000 km before the performance deteriorates quickly with the tyres showing screeching. In summary, both MC5 and CPC5 were not really recommended by those who tried.

The UC6 and CC6 are rather new tyres. UC6 is more toward handling and CC6 more toward comfort and quietness. So far initial reviews from current users especially the UC6 were encouraging.

The Goodyear Assurance Triplemax was proven to be an all-rounder tyre with above average handling for this range. Currently it's my most preferred tyre since having owned the predecessor (Assurance Fuelmax), I can attest to the handling characteristics of tyre. The steering is sharp with the tyre and cornering feels stable and solid.

If there is anyone has compared the Goodyear Assurance Triplemax to the Continental UC6 I would appreciate your thoughts.
6UE5T
post Sep 18 2017, 09:44 AM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(SportyHandling @ Sep 18 2017, 09:23 AM)
I have been surveying the right tyres for my car for the past few months. Due to the size, the options are limited if priorities are more toward handling and all-rounder. I understand it may be difficult to have someone compare all the tyres as mentioned below. However, if there is anyone who has compared any 2 of these tyres (or more), I would appreciate your experience.

The shortlisted tyres in chronological order from most preferred to less preferred

Goodyear Assurance Triplemax
Continental Ultracontact UC6
Continental ComfortContact CC6
Continental ContiPremiumContact 5
Continental ContiMaxContact MC5

I have done a bit of survey on some of the Continental tyres and it's almost impossible to individually rate these tyres. From Continental website, the CPC5 and MC5 are said to be good in handling. On other car forums, the CPC5 was said to be cheap and poor quality while the MC5 was said to be great in handling but only in the first 10,000 km before the performance deteriorates quickly with the tyres showing screeching. In summary, both MC5 and CPC5 were not really recommended by those who tried.

The UC6 and CC6 are rather new tyres. UC6 is more toward handling and CC6 more toward comfort and quietness. So far initial reviews from current users especially the UC6 were encouraging.

The Goodyear Assurance Triplemax was proven to be an all-rounder tyre with above average handling for this range. Currently it's my most preferred tyre since having owned the predecessor (Assurance Fuelmax), I can attest to the handling characteristics of tyre. The steering is sharp with the tyre and cornering feels stable and solid.

If there is anyone has compared the Goodyear Assurance Triplemax to the Continental UC6 I would appreciate your thoughts.
Based on Continental line up classification, the ranking should be as follows: CPC>MC>UC>CC. Thus CPC5 should be superior among your selection of Continental tires, and this is also reflected in the newest CPC6 series whereby it's meant to be a replacement for the CPC5 & the high performance model CSC5 altogether into 1 tire. Not sure how it compares to the Triplemaxx but I suspect the CPC5 should still be better. What is the UTQG rating of the Triplemaxx btw?
TSSportyHandling
post Sep 18 2017, 11:15 AM

Casual
419 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Sep 18 2017, 09:44 AM)
Based on Continental line up classification, the ranking should be as follows: CPC>MC>UC>CC. Thus CPC5 should be superior among your selection of Continental tires, and this is also reflected in the newest CPC6 series whereby it's meant to be a replacement for the CPC5 & the high performance model CSC5 altogether into 1 tire. Not sure how it compares to the Triplemaxx but I suspect the CPC5 should still be better. What is the UTQG rating of the Triplemaxx btw?
Thanks for the response. That's interesting.

I read about the new Continental CPC6 few days ago and it appears that this tyre is not launched in Malaysia yet. Perhaps we will see this tyre next year. The reviews of the CPC6 have been quite stellar as this tyre seems to have the best blend between comfort and performance. Price may be more toward premium.

http://www.carsifu.my/car-reviews/continen...and-comfortable

Think it will be down to Goodyear Assurance Triplemax and Continental CPC6. I would expect the CPC6 to be costlier than the Triplemax. Will see how the CPC6 will perform when it is launched later since my current tyres still look rather good and have some life in them.
6UE5T
post Sep 18 2017, 11:28 AM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(SportyHandling @ Sep 18 2017, 11:15 AM)
Thanks for the response. That's interesting.

I read about the new Continental CPC6 few days ago and it appears that this tyre is not launched in Malaysia yet. Perhaps we will see this tyre next year. The reviews of the CPC6 have been quite stellar as this tyre seems to have the best blend between comfort and performance. Price may be more toward premium.

http://www.carsifu.my/car-reviews/continen...and-comfortable

Think it will be down to Goodyear Assurance Triplemax and Continental CPC6. I would expect the CPC6 to be costlier than the Triplemax. Will see how the CPC6 will perform when it is launched later since my current tyres still look rather good and have some life in them.
CPC6 should be better coz it's higher performance class now to compete with the likes of PS4 and F1A3. For example in the tests below, it came out beating the F1A3 while surely the F1A3 is better than Triplemax, so it should be no contest between CPC6 and Triplemax.
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2017-...re-Shootout.htm
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2017-...r-Tyre-Test.htm
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2017-...r-Tyre-Test.htm
Jessieccy
post Sep 18 2017, 02:45 PM

Getting Started
160 posts

I personally not fond of Conti due to CC5. I am using Triplemax. Good all around tires, stronger sidewalls and better handling for average family cars.
Im not sure if Conti change better quality since the 6 series was newly introduced. End of the day, just see how much it cost, whatever is on sale just change to that.
6UE5T
post Sep 18 2017, 06:54 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(Jessieccy @ Sep 18 2017, 02:45 PM)
I personally not fond of Conti due to CC5. I am using Triplemax. Good all around tires, stronger sidewalls and better handling for average family cars.
Im not sure if Conti change better quality since the 6 series was newly introduced. End of the day, just see how much it cost, whatever is on sale just change to that.
Conti CC series is their lowest lousiest line up, just a grip-less rubbish!
Jessieccy
post Sep 18 2017, 08:26 PM

Getting Started
160 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Sep 18 2017, 06:54 PM)
Conti CC series is their lowest lousiest line up, just a grip-less rubbish!
But what to do the quietness is something unbeatable at their price. Anyway for my 15" rims n a budget of RM210. I rather pay for a Triplemax.
6UE5T
post Sep 18 2017, 09:21 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(Jessieccy @ Sep 18 2017, 08:26 PM)
But what to do the quietness is something unbeatable at their price. Anyway for my 15" rims n a budget of RM210. I rather pay for a Triplemax.
Quietness doesn't get you anywhere nor does it help your driving in anyway, but grip does! So just crank up the music loud! laugh.gif
sg999
post Sep 18 2017, 09:36 PM

Regular
1,027 posts

Malaysia ask we all to use CC6/UC6 good enough.
CPC series only have CPC2 and limited size.
CPC5 launching few year ago and now oledi CPC6, never see local conti has any intention to bring in or production.
so sad.

6UE5T
post Sep 19 2017, 10:59 AM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(sg999 @ Sep 18 2017, 09:36 PM)
Malaysia ask we all to use CC6/UC6 good enough.
CPC series only have CPC2 and limited size.
CPC5 launching few year ago and now oledi CPC6, never see local conti has any intention to bring in or production.
so sad.
SG already just got CPC6 this year. MY is always a bit slower but I think they will need to bring CPC6 coz without it they will loose the market to PS4. Maybe they still have stocks for CPC5 & CSC5 to clear.
sg999
post Sep 19 2017, 08:25 PM

Regular
1,027 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Sep 19 2017, 11:59 AM)
SG already just got CPC6 this year. MY is always a bit slower but I think they will need to bring CPC6 coz without it they will loose the market to PS4. Maybe they still have stocks for CPC5 & CSC5 to clear.
Malaysia never bring in CPC5 also. cry.gif
6UE5T
post Sep 19 2017, 11:28 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(sg999 @ Sep 19 2017, 08:25 PM)
Malaysia never bring in CPC5 also. cry.gif
Eh they don't? I think got shops selling it, not sure if from Conti Malaysia or they direct import themselves. The Conti Malaysia website also has it listed.
sg999
post Sep 20 2017, 06:56 PM

Regular
1,027 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Sep 20 2017, 12:28 AM)
Eh they don't? I think got shops selling it, not sure if from Conti Malaysia or they direct import themselves. The Conti Malaysia website also has it listed.
May i know which shop selling it?
6UE5T
post Sep 20 2017, 06:58 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(sg999 @ Sep 20 2017, 06:56 PM)
May i know which shop selling it?
Cannot recall bro, need to ask around.
tchinhe
post Sep 23 2017, 05:11 PM

6 posts

Just installed 4 UC6 size 215/55/17. Quieter than the 30mth old ER33 at 53,000km, started cracks around rim at 40,000km. Slightly softer. Handling for dry seems good or smilar. Didn't push it since the date code show as recent production. Will let it cure more.

This post has been edited by tchinhe: Sep 23 2017, 06:07 PM
nikkokl
post Sep 25 2017, 09:59 PM

10 posts

QUOTE(tchinhe @ Sep 23 2017, 05:11 PM)
Just installed 4 UC6 size 215/55/17. Quieter than the 30mth old ER33 at 53,000km, started cracks around rim at 40,000km.  Slightly softer.  Handling for dry seems good or smilar.  Didn't push it since the date code show as recent production.  Will let it cure more.
Any update on the UC6? Very few reviews or notes on the performance level of this new tyre

tchinhe
post Sep 28 2017, 12:51 PM

6 posts

QUOTE(nikkokl @ Sep 25 2017, 09:59 PM)
Any update on the UC6? Very few reviews or notes on the performance level of this new tyre
This is a touring tyre, for performance need to go for MC5. MC6 shld launch as soon as next month. Wet handling is pretty good. At 60km/h I manage to drive thru some puddle of water with minimal pull to one side. So the 4 grooves are good. MC5 is much bigger grooves for better handling. So far no wheel spin or skids experienced with normal driving. Old tyres did happened a few times.

Some ppl complain soft sidewall. I had to avoid a car who is texting n merge into me. Ends up I run tyres against curb a little. Fortunately only some scuffs. It is softer than the ER33 before mounting on rim. But it could be due to new rubber.

Overall happy with the tyre based on the amount paid.
sg999
post Oct 4 2017, 07:39 PM

Regular
1,027 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Sep 20 2017, 07:58 PM)
Cannot recall bro, need to ask around.
pls try to recall cry.gif
tchinhe
post Oct 4 2017, 11:09 PM

6 posts

QUOTE(sg999 @ Oct 4 2017, 07:39 PM)
pls try to recall cry.gif

Check with Best Drive shops. They shld have it. I was told 215/55 17 it is 600+
TSSportyHandling
post Oct 6 2017, 10:53 PM

Casual
419 posts

QUOTE(tchinhe @ Sep 28 2017, 12:51 PM)
This is a touring tyre, for performance need to go for MC5.  MC6 shld launch as soon as next month.  Wet handling is pretty good. At 60km/h I manage to drive thru some puddle of water with minimal pull to one side.  So the 4 grooves are good.  MC5 is much bigger grooves for better handling.  So far no wheel spin or skids experienced with normal driving.  Old tyres did happened a few times.

Some ppl complain soft sidewall.  I had to avoid a car who is texting n merge into me.  Ends up I run tyres against curb a little.  Fortunately only some scuffs. It is softer than the ER33 before mounting on rim.  But it could be due to new rubber.

Overall happy with the tyre based on the amount paid.
Thanks for the review on the Continental UC6. Unfortunately I do not have experience with the Bridgestone Turanza ER33 so I won't be able to derive any meaningful conclusion from your experience with the UC6. However, from the professional reviews the UC6 should be a good all-rounder with combine performance, comfort and quietness.

The next tyres for my car will be either the Continental UC6 or Goodyear Assurance Triplemax, whichever is available and/or cheaper.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0153sec    0.24    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:21 AM