Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> "You don’t speak Chinese? There's something wrong, with you"

SushiBurgerX
post Sep 15 2017, 09:29 AM

Casual
Group: Junior Member

QUOTE(KLboy92 @ Sep 15 2017, 08:23 AM)
No he doesn't

Your mother tongue is NOT defined by your skin. Nor is your culture. The moment we start saying "so and so is X, should be able to speak Y" that is the beginning of racism.
Totally agreed.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3nf0rc3r
post Sep 15 2017, 09:39 AM

Next time these idiots try to talk to you, just say "My parents told me not to talk to creepy strangers."
+Quote Post
peinsama
post Sep 15 2017, 09:48 AM

Au fait
Group: Senior Member

Pretty much this is more towards attitude problem instead of language's preference.

The chinese mother tongue language supporters are okay with Asian American not speaking their mother tongue but somehow Chinese Malaysian, not ok.

+Quote Post
+3kk!
post Sep 15 2017, 09:58 AM

Look at all my stars!!

linguist nazis, lol if msians cant fight over race (chinese to chinese) then we fight about who is more of a race in the race (im more chinese/malay than u)

i find that people who do this are no better than jamal gang and their red shirt antics, after all they have been fighting to be the most malay out of the malays.

likewise i find that in a multiracial country and in a globalised age, theres no excuse to not know a few languages.
+Quote Post
LamTin
post Sep 15 2017, 10:04 AM

QUOTE(p4n6 @ Sep 15 2017, 07:56 AM)
Malaysian is our nationality, chinese is our race/ethnic group because our ancestors are from China.
There are Chinese descent in almost every countries in Asia including Thailand, Vietnam, Japan, Korea etc that they blend in to be part of the community, learn the same language, go to the same school, and speak the same national language.
It's ignorant to think only Malaysia has Chinese descent.

Technically, we are chinese malaysian not malaysian chinese ... nationality should be at the back, the race should be at the front ... correct me if i'm wrong i.e in reference to African American or Hispanic American ...

In conclusion, I'm not from the country call China that makes learning to speak chinese optional but advisable to learn for the sake of legacy.
Since when i said there is no chinese descent in other countries? I just said there is no such thing as thailand chinese.
Its ignorant to say there is no malaysian chinese
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysian_Chinese

Of course its always optional to learn chinese but never blame people to look weirdly on you when you cant even speak a single chinese nor understand it because majority knows it.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jumpercable
post Sep 15 2017, 10:25 AM

Group: Newbie

QUOTE(pgsiemkia @ Sep 14 2017, 07:11 PM)
You forgot the immigrants from Taiwan, they grow up understanding Mandarin not Cantonese. Same for immigrants from HK who only speak Canto. These ABCs will converse in canto with us in college.
Those are the new immigrants, not the older ones. Also, the population of mainland China is more than Taiwan and HK, therefore most of the overseas Chinese are actually from Mainland China, they immigrated after the Chinese civil war, Taiwan was formed only after that when the KMTs were chased out of mainland China.

Same as Malaysia. Malaysian Chinese and Peranakan are different-different wave of immigration.
+Quote Post
pgsiemkia
post Sep 15 2017, 10:34 AM

Getting Started

QUOTE(jumpercable @ Sep 15 2017, 10:25 AM)
Those are the new immigrants, not the older ones. Also, the population of mainland China is more than Taiwan and HK, therefore most of the overseas Chinese are actually from Mainland China, they immigrated after the Chinese civil war, Taiwan was formed only after that when the KMTs were chased out of mainland China.

Same as Malaysia. Malaysian Chinese and Peranakan are different-different wave of immigration.
So, you're saying Cantonese was widely spoken in China before the Civil war? They were probably children of miners that came to find gold during the Gold Rush and stayed to build the railways and manned the laundry.

+Quote Post
Keng
post Sep 15 2017, 10:44 AM

Getting Started

Cantonese probably influenced by the tvb dramas lol. Yeah, i heard from friends who went overseas to study say that they usually speak canton with other chinese students but this was like 1-2 decades ago. These days, its Mandarin liao.
+Quote Post
LamTin
post Sep 15 2017, 10:51 AM

QUOTE(Keng @ Sep 15 2017, 10:44 AM)
Cantonese probably influenced by the tvb dramas lol. Yeah, i heard from friends who went overseas to study say that they usually speak canton with other chinese students but this was like 1-2 decades ago. These days, its Mandarin liao.
because four heavenly king dominated whole chinese entertainment during the 90s
+Quote Post
jumpercable
post Sep 15 2017, 12:32 PM

QUOTE(pgsiemkia @ Sep 15 2017, 10:34 AM)
So, you're saying Cantonese was widely spoken in China before the Civil war?
Maybe, but I base on what my parents and grandparents told me (as I'm too young to know) that Ancient China-many languages. It would be wrong to say that Mandarin is their only language. Mandarin was imposed much later under Communist rule to unify.

But its known that Cantonese is prevalent in the southern provinces.

They were probably children of miners that came to find gold during the Gold Rush and stayed to build the railways and manned the laundry.
Yup correct. Thats where most US Chinese start. Haven't had a chance to visit San Francisco though.
+Quote Post
p4n6
post Sep 15 2017, 03:11 PM

deodherion

QUOTE(LamTin @ Sep 15 2017, 10:04 AM)
Since when i said there is no chinese descent in other countries? I just said there is no such thing as thailand chinese.
Its ignorant to say there is no malaysian chinese
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malaysian_Chinese

Of course its always optional to learn chinese but never blame people to look weirdly on you when you cant even speak a single chinese nor understand it because majority knows it.
Chinese descent in Thailand is Chinese Thai.
Chinese descent in Vietnam is Chinese Vietnamese.
Chinese descent in Malaysia is Chinese Malaysian.
Chinese descent in US is Chinese American.

As I mentioned, in other countries Chinese blends into the culture and local national education making their mother tongue also their national language.

In Malaysia, most chinese speak in own dialect as their mother tongue and speak crappy national language, which is in reverse of chinese in other countries.

We are just weird in our own way ...

+Quote Post
beeMay
post Sep 15 2017, 03:21 PM

Getting Started

different chinese lah.

I dont speak mandarin but I speak hakka. My family raised that way. my grandfather can speak mandarin not because it is the culture, because last time he has the opportunity to learn mandarin. so mandarin is not our original language but Hakka is.
+Quote Post
rooney723
post Sep 15 2017, 03:28 PM

Casual

So, you're saying Cantonese was widely spoken in China before the Civil war? They were probably children of miners that came to find gold during the Gold Rush and stayed to build the railways and manned the laundry.
Because most overseas chinese are either from guangdong or fujian, mandarin was mostly used in northern china, while guangdong n fujian is in south china n they dont use mandarin, they use canto, hakka, hokkien etc depend whr they are from

Those miners came from guangdong, they went to US canada n australia to find gold mountain, dats why chinese ppl in those places are mostly cantonese
+Quote Post
LamTin
post Sep 15 2017, 04:25 PM

QUOTE(p4n6 @ Sep 15 2017, 03:11 PM)
Chinese descent in Thailand is Chinese Thai.
Chinese descent in Vietnam is Chinese Vietnamese.
Chinese descent in Malaysia is Chinese Malaysian.
Chinese descent in US is Chinese American.

As I mentioned, in other countries Chinese blends into the culture and local national education making their mother tongue also their national language.

In Malaysia, most chinese speak in own dialect as their mother tongue and speak crappy national language, which is in reverse of chinese in other countries.

We are just weird in our own way ...
Although their countries have chinese descent but they are not multi racial like us. Example chinese vietnamese that u mean will still know vietnamese chinese thai will still know thai.

But if u as malaysian chinese that duno chinese in malaysia, the other malaysian chinese(especially older chinese folks) will look very weird on you. Hope u understand. Cheers..

+Quote Post
pgsiemkia
post Sep 15 2017, 04:35 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(jumpercable @ Sep 15 2017, 12:32 PM)
Maybe, but I base on what my parents and grandparents told me (as I'm too young to know) that Ancient China-many languages. It would be wrong to say that Mandarin is their only language. Mandarin was imposed much later under Communist rule to unify.
Yes, Mandarin was one of the many dialects in China, most immigrants who went to US and even Malaya were a mixed of coolies who did not speak the royal court language among themselves. Mandarin was the main language to unify China by Shih Huang Tee, (learnt this in school a long time ago, doubt if this still taught in schools under amno rule now.) The communist united the peasants and adopted the Mandarin dialect as it was easier to communicate.

+Quote Post
jumpercable
post Sep 15 2017, 05:13 PM

QUOTE(pgsiemkia @ Sep 15 2017, 04:35 PM)
Yes, Mandarin was one of the many dialects in China, most immigrants who went to US and even Malaya were a mixed of coolies who did not speak the royal court language among themselves. Mandarin was the main language to unify China by Shih Huang Tee, (learnt this in school a long time ago, doubt if this still taught in schools under amno rule now.) The communist united the peasants and adopted the Mandarin dialect as it was easier to communicate.
Wah you still remember that. My history all give back to schoolteacher already
+Quote Post
SushiBurgerX
post Sep 15 2017, 05:20 PM

Casual

QUOTE(+3kk! @ Sep 15 2017, 09:58 AM)
linguist nazis, lol if msians cant fight over race (chinese to chinese) then we fight about who is more of a race in the race (im more chinese/malay than u)

i find that people who do this are no better than jamal gang and their red shirt antics, after all they have been fighting to be the most malay out of the malays.

likewise i find that in a multiracial country and in a globalised age, theres no excuse to not know a few languages.
Exactly.

Coup De Grace You are sohai. Understand my dialect?
+Quote Post

19 Pages « < 17 18 19Top
Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0811sec    5.73    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 26th September 2017 - 10:33 PM