Scammers - 2 guys on the phones

views

TSalcatrez
post Sep 11 2017, 12:07 AM, updated 7y ago

On my way
539 posts

Dear all,

i received a call last friday.

Attached are voices of the 2 people and how they played me.

i have the whole recording of the incident. Just giving you all a bit of the recording

i have made a police report.

the case is quite similar to below. Only this time they use IPK kedah.

https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3225036/all

Police said that they scammers can steal lines. i was shocked at first.

please be careful.

thanks.

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Call_043865331_043865331__20170908083358__AudioTrimmer.com_.mp3 ( 10.87k ) Number of downloads: 1729
Attached File  Call_047741222_047741222__20170908084952__AudioTrimmer.com_.mp3 ( 4.83k ) Number of downloads: 1263
internaldisputes
post Sep 11 2017, 09:52 AM

he/his/him
1,723 posts

thanks for the heads up! it's scary how many types of scams there are these days. i can hardly keep up.

This post has been edited by internaldisputes: Sep 11 2017, 09:53 AM
PrincZe
post Sep 11 2017, 06:28 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,050 posts

Please put phone number
jkloh
post Sep 11 2017, 08:14 PM

35 posts

No shit?!
Al Puccino
post Sep 12 2017, 08:23 AM

Casual
346 posts

sounded so indonesian..
TSalcatrez
post Sep 12 2017, 08:27 AM

On my way
539 posts

QUOTE(internaldisputes @ Sep 11 2017, 09:52 AM)
thanks for the heads up! it's scary how many types of scams there are these days. i can hardly keep up.
Sharing is caring.
I care for the many honest people out there.
TSalcatrez
post Sep 12 2017, 08:28 AM

On my way
539 posts

QUOTE(jkloh @ Sep 11 2017, 08:14 PM)

No shit?!
Yup.
Police said they bought the gadget from Thailand.
TSalcatrez
post Sep 12 2017, 06:00 PM

On my way
539 posts

QUOTE(PrincZe @ Sep 11 2017, 06:28 PM)
Please put phone number
The two numbers they used are.

047741222 - IPK Kedah Alor Setar

Police said they used Penang IPK, Johor and other states.

Police said there is no such thing as on phone report. Everything goes to police station.

regards,

netmatrix
post Sep 12 2017, 06:35 PM

The machine... it sees everything.
6,491 posts

Firstly if i transfer the money to IPK won't IPK be in the list of suspects? hehehe. Tanya dia balik. If he wants money trail he can warrant BNM for it. I will tell him police have the right to freeze my money also during investigation. But why must transfer? Tak logic also when they have so much power to lock the money without asking, but still needs your help to move money.
C-Fu
post Sep 13 2017, 12:16 AM

Ninja-Fu
1,051 posts

QUOTE(netmatrix @ Sep 12 2017, 06:35 PM)
Firstly if i transfer the money to IPK won't IPK be in the list of suspects? hehehe. Tanya dia balik. If he wants money trail he can warrant BNM for it. I will tell him police have the right to freeze my money also during investigation. But why must transfer? Tak logic also when they have so much power to lock the money without asking, but still  needs your help to move money.
that's the whole point. their style is "illogical" because they're not targetting you. because people like you can smell these scams from a mile away, and most likely you tak layan or won't waste their time for long.

but their style is purposely for the gullible. like the nikka email scam la. the broken grammar is not for you, because you will throw it away the moment you read it. it's for people who don't care about weird grammars for whatever reason. that's their target market.

oh and my advice? two ways to deal with tele scammers.

1. you hang up. don't even say a word. why? see #2
2. waste their time. the more time they waste, the less time they can scam others. but BE CAREFUL when saying things like your name, details, the word "yes" ...... because they can use your voice to pretend when they call certain parties like police, telcos, banks... remember, they have a lot of your details already, hence the tele marketing scam call in the first place.
mikasaackerman
post Sep 13 2017, 12:26 AM

5 posts

I am truly an idiot and I have this post to thank for because I almost fell for this scam today. cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif

I could have lost all my savings... but thank goodness a concerned colleague whatsapp-ed me to warn me while i was trying to transfer the money through the ATM... and then i had the thought to google the phone number, 047741222 (the Ibu Pejabat Polis Kontijen Kedah number) and this post was the sixth post on the google search.... I just suddenly... snapped out of it and went to the nearest police station while the scammer was still on the line...

cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif I am so stupid and this incident really sent me into a panic attack...

Again, i truly want to thank this post.
Ansonlow
post Sep 13 2017, 12:30 AM

Getting Started
152 posts

That is why I seldom answer phone call which I don't know, only answer calls from the contact list
mikasaackerman
post Sep 13 2017, 02:06 AM

5 posts

I guess I should share the full story just as a precaution for others who may be as gullible as I was...

1. Basically at 4pm today while I was at work, I got a call from this Officer No.1 claiming to be a "Pegawai Pembantu Am Mahkamah Majistret Jitra" and that his name was Vedhanayagam. He told me that I was supposed to show up at court because I have a "tunggakan" of RM30000+ with a Maybank credit card.

2. I scolded the guy and told him I have no such credit card. I even told him off that if this was a prank/scam, then it's not funny. The scammer on the line scolded me back, saying that this is not a scam and told me to cooperate if I didn't want to get into trouble. I don't know what got into me but I was convinced by him.

3. He then told me to call the TM Directory Assistance Service number (Tel no: 103) to verify that the number that he is using to call me and showing up on my hand phone is legit the Ibu Pejabat Polis Kontijen Kedah number (Tel no: 047741222) and so I did. After making the 103 call, I was convinced that I was really getting a call from the police, so the thought of this call being a possible scam was so carelessly forgotten...

4. He told me that I am most likely a victim to a stolen identity case and that there was a Maybank credit card under my name with the Cawangan Maybank Changlun, Kedah. He berated me with a ton of questions like whether i have a credit card, which banks do I have an account with, where I applied for my bank accounts, any chance where I was asked to scan my thumbprint twice by a bank officer, etc. By then, i think more than 30 minutes have gone by, he seriously asked me a lot of questions and I was just so exhausted...

5. He later transferred my call to an Officer No.2, who then now started telling a whole new story... This officer [2] started asking me if I know a "Tan Wai Seng" (exactly the same name mentioned in the recording alcatrez shared) and I said "no". He started getting louder with me, asking me if I know "Tan Wai Seng" and whether if I was aware that he has transferred money to another account (this time Public Bank) under my name. He told me that "Tan Wai Seng" is involved with the illegal drug trade and that now I am also a suspect of a money laundering case.

6. After some "interrogating" and some warning asking me to cooperate with this case, I was transferred to a "Bank Negara officer" who basically did a rehash of what Officer No.2 did to me. He told me the name of the bank officer handling my case is "LAW KHOON MIN" and gave me a reference number for the case. He also gave me a CIMB account number (SCAMMER'S ACC NO: 7066170631), which I was told was set up by Bank Negara for me to transfer my money into while they "investigate" my account.

7. I was transferred again to Officer No.1, who started asking me if i understood the situation i was in and after some more warning, he told me to transfer my money into that CIMB account. He asked me to change my credit transfer limit, so that I can transfer all my money. Online transfer didn't work, so he told me to go to the nearest bank or ATM that I could.

8. I rushed to the nearest ATM and tried transferring the money but it kept cancelling on me (FORTUNATELY). I told the Office No.1 who was still on hold my situation and then he told me to call the customer service for my bank account to solve the matter.

9. At this point, 2 HOURS have passed since I first got the call. I was so mentally exhausted and I was starting to really go into full panic attack as the money just wouldn't transfer and didn't know what to do. While I was at the ATM, a colleague of mine, who was aware of the call that I got and overheard me talking on the phone, whatsapped me to warn me of scammers. I started having doubts again and began joining the dots... I googled the "047741222" number to check again whether the phone number was legit. The first link that came up on Google mentions "Ibu Pejabat Polis Kontinjen Kedah, PDRM" but then I saw this post (no.6) on Lowyat.

10. That was when I snapped out of it and quickly walked towards the police station nearby. I explained my story to the police officers there and they instantly told me it was a scam. At that time, Officer No.1/SCAMMER's line was still on hold, so I passed my phone to the real police officers. I think the scammer didn't believe that he was talking to actual police officers at first because they (the scammer and the real police officer) were on the line for a bit. After the real police officer questioned the scammer a few times for his name, position and department, the scammer finally put down the phone.

11. And then I burst into tears at the police station like the crybaby I am. lol cry.gif cry.gif cry.gif I was so fucking frightened and exhausted because he had me on the phone for more than 2 hours... And at that same time, I was SO relieved that the transfer attempts all failed...

This post has been edited by mikasaackerman: Sep 13 2017, 02:28 AM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
pkh
post Sep 13 2017, 02:24 AM

Casual
315 posts

Me and my colleague received the same call as well. Kononnya Mahkamah Kedah saying we owe Maybank Changlun branch some credit card stuff. Although I knew it was a scam, it made me go all the way to Maybank Credit Card Center in Bandar Utama to verify it. Wanna be safe that they didn't use my name to open an unauthorized account.

Wanted to call back the number (045672218) but it was no longer valid. Though I can pretend bengang and tell the guy I can assist them. Would be fun.

By the way, I would suggest installing Whoscall to your phone. I did that today and the number above is immediately listed as a scammer. Would have saved me 3 hours of effort if Whoscall was installed earlier.
mikasaackerman
post Sep 13 2017, 02:25 AM

5 posts

To sum it up, just fucking ignore any of these numbers/names

1. Ibu Pejabat Polis Kontijen Kedah number (Tel no: 047741222)
2. 0165530736 (Phone number that the scammer used)
3. 049117233 (Fax number given by the scammer that i was supposed to send my BNM/police report to)
4. If anyone mentions a "Tan Wai Seng", "Vedhanayagam" and/or "Law Khoon Min"
5. CIMB account number under "Law Khoon Min": 7066170631

vmad.gif

I'm treating this incident like karma... I used to pooh-pooh stories of people falling into scams because when I read those stories, they sounded so OBVIOUSLY like scams to me and now I have actually gotten deep into one myself. shakehead.gif

This post has been edited by mikasaackerman: Sep 13 2017, 02:35 AM
TSalcatrez
post Sep 14 2017, 06:47 AM

On my way
539 posts

QUOTE(mikasaackerman @ Sep 13 2017, 02:25 AM)
To sum it up, just fucking ignore any of these numbers/names

1. Ibu Pejabat Polis Kontijen Kedah number (Tel no: 047741222)
2. 0165530736 (Phone number that the scammer used)
3. 049117233 (Fax number given by the scammer that i was supposed to send my BNM/police report to)
4. If anyone mentions a "Tan Wai Seng", "Vedhanayagam" and/or "Law Khoon Min"
5. CIMB account number under "Law Khoon Min": 7066170631

vmad.gif

I'm treating this incident like karma... I used to pooh-pooh stories of people falling into scams because when I read those stories, they sounded so OBVIOUSLY like scams to me and now I have actually gotten deep into one myself.  shakehead.gif
Very glad to hear you ok. Very glad I was able to help.
SUScitacitata
post Sep 14 2017, 08:46 AM

Casual
482 posts

I experienced the same thing as well.

But it was under balai in kk, sabah. The phone number was legit. All my details they said about me was legit too.

After playing with them for half an hour, I hung up. They kept calling me back almost 10 times. I picked up and scolded d them back. Then they start to scold me cibai lanciao lu bla bla bla. Lol.

Went to make a report at balai, but the cop says no need to report. It's a common scam SOP. and coz nth can be done. Huh?

Someone has been selling our personal information. Heh.
pkh
post Sep 14 2017, 04:41 PM

Casual
315 posts

QUOTE(Contestant @ Sep 14 2017, 09:47 AM)
How much to install Whoscall? Safe? How does it identify scammers? What does the screen show if, let's say, a friend not in contact list calls? By his name?
The software is free. Let's say if an unknown number called you, the phone number will appear on your cellphone just like it normally does. But if the number had been reported by other users that it is either a scam or telemarketer, the word "telemarketer" or "scam" will appear at the bottom of the number. The guys from Standard Chartered personal loan called me yesterday and their number appeared and was classified as "personal loan".
sevendogz
post Sep 14 2017, 04:55 PM

Regular
1,273 posts

I got a call from Police HQ putrajaya, asking me whether I will go to Kuching HQ or not later, I said "yes, sure, see u later, bye.." and hung up
TSalcatrez
post Sep 14 2017, 06:34 PM

On my way
539 posts

QUOTE(sevendogz @ Sep 14 2017, 04:55 PM)
I got a call from Police HQ putrajaya, asking me whether I will go to Kuching HQ or not later, I said "yes, sure, see u later, bye.." and hung up
Good one....

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0217sec    0.43    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:42 PM