Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> 65" TV recommendation

views

Convael
post Apr 23 2018, 11:41 AM

Enthusiast
830 posts

QUOTE(Ivan_T @ Apr 18 2018, 04:11 PM)
LG is the world 2nd largest TV manufacturer, just behind Samsung. Of coz it is a strong brand. Whether to buy LG TV or not, it all depends on your requirements and budget. LG LED TV using IPS panel, you need to understand the pros and cons of such panel. LG WebOS is one of the best smart TV OS out there and the TV is quite reliable from my own experience.
Correction , mostly nobody really care about LG TV unless you are talking about their OLED series , which are stunning products of course.

All of their current mid-low range TV are using RGBW Panel which is essentially a 3k TV unless you buying this TV to display snow scenes and White project fields in your office.

Beside that , their current RGBW TV has the some of the worst picture quality I have ever seen from any Branded TV (discounting those subpar Chinese brand like skyworth)
If you want to get an LG TV , avoid getting the low/mid range but even their highend LED series aren't very good either .

And they are not much cheaper as well , the other brand's similar range only like Rm100 apart but at the very least all of them come pre-equipped 4K Panel.
You do not want to save that RM 100 for something that will come and bite you off in the future.

This post has been edited by Convael: Apr 23 2018, 11:44 AM
Convael
post Jun 5 2018, 05:00 PM

Enthusiast
830 posts

QUOTE(low98944 @ May 11 2018, 11:18 PM)
Forget the Q7, it have better in color gamut if compared to MU7000, the rest almost similar to MU7000. This is compare between 2017 model, I believe 2018 is similar.

Go for Q9 instead 😁
The 2018 version are not similar at all .

The 2018 Q7FN has some pretty amazing peak brightness, spiking up to 2k nits ++ in its 10% window , which is brighter than most TV on market right now.

MU7000, on the other hand has pretty disappointing brightness.
The Q7FN also seem to have the best Color gamut and Color volume among any of the current LED TV now , which is a pretty big achievement on Samsung's part.

Q9FN is in the league of its own world . It is basically Oled level of performance without the concerns of burn-ins and even better color gamut.

This post has been edited by Convael: Jun 5 2018, 05:11 PM
Convael
post Jun 7 2018, 10:19 AM

Enthusiast
830 posts

QUOTE(hitiboanime @ Jun 6 2018, 05:42 PM)
Agreed. Q9F is on a league of its own. Surveyed it online and just saw that it was recently launched in Senheng with a free soundbar. Q7F is the too.

Had dem feelings viewing the Q9F during the Samsung QLED launch last week. Woooo.. the picture quality, the sound quality. Wow

Ah for those of ya'll who wants to view it: https://www.senheng.com.my/samsung-qled
I was at their TV conference. I must say the Q9fn blow me away , despite owning an OLED . The colors just look so damn good .

Just from my bare eyes alone , I couldn't actually tell if it is an OLED or LED, it was very very bright as well , never seen a TV so bright before especially around the edge

My only problem with it , is the black crushing was a little strong , probably due to the Ultra Aggressive FALD , when they switched over to those small sparkling light dots , they become quite dim at times .

This post has been edited by Convael: Jun 7 2018, 10:47 AM
Convael
post Jul 8 2018, 12:38 PM

Enthusiast
830 posts

QUOTE(gogo2 @ Jul 7 2018, 09:55 PM)
How much?dolby vision?
Nope , I don't think Sony plans to update supports of DV for x7000e , only for their High End Pricey LED and OLEDS .

QUOTE(aviecena2020 @ Jul 7 2018, 05:22 PM)
Got offer mu7000 for rm4850..is it worth it base in this price?
New Unit ?

RM 4850 for a 65 inches premium TV with Wide Color Gamut is quite a nice offer .

Although You may also want to look into NU8000 , which is this year's model . It is quite a lot brighter than MU8000

This post has been edited by Convael: Jul 8 2018, 12:42 PM
Convael
post Jul 8 2018, 01:14 PM

Enthusiast
830 posts

QUOTE(gogo2 @ Jul 8 2018, 12:56 PM)
Hisense 5010 with local dimming at rm4k for 65". Best tv?
I don't think its local dimming will work too well , because its an Edge lit LED TV .
Only Sony is known to have made excellent edge lit Local dimming TV as of today.

Convael
post Jul 11 2018, 10:14 PM

Enthusiast
830 posts

QUOTE(kkthen @ Jul 10 2018, 03:32 PM)
If midrange TV hdr performance poor. Uhd movie will become too dim or not ?
This will largely depends on if the source supported HDR or not .
UHD movies refer to the resolution of the content , it has nothing to do with HDR . There are 1080p HDR content on as well .

If it is a UHD HDR movie , only by then the brightness of the content will be affected .

HDR movies are normally displayed dimmer , that is because they have a larger headroom to swing around from the brightest white to deepest black .

If the TV has poor HDR performance , the HDR movies will appear dim ( Washed Out ) and unimpressive all the time.
This however does not limit to only mid range models , some of the high end overpriced TV models also suffer from the same issue .

QUOTE(kkthen @ Jul 11 2018, 12:10 AM)
That is mean 2018 year 65inch TV in malaysia market only samsung q9fn & oled can play well uhd hdr movie. Very limited choice.
No of course not, some mid range TV can do decent too . The primary factors of HDR performance of TV are mostly the following :

brightness ratings across different APL
the Local Dimming system
the color performance ( coverage and volume )
native contrast ( black levels performance in particular )

With the technology we have today , as long as it ticks 3 out of the 4 , it should be considered as a good HDR experience.
There are also other factors involved such as the EOTF tracking but those can be subjective .

QUOTE(gogo2 @ Jul 11 2018, 09:13 PM)
QLED with FALD also crush all the blacks. Only can buy oled and microled.
laugh.gif
All TVs do tonemappings , to a certain degree . When calibrated correctly , most decent TV do not crush blacks details .

The only QLED that do that is Q9FN , because of the Ultra aggressive FALD it has . This TV can produce a contrast Level of ~ almost 20000 : 1 . That is much more improved than any other existing LED TVs on the market. This doesn't mean the TV sucks , this is still the most impressive LED TV out there , its worth losing some black details for all that extraordinary brightness , color volume and black level .

MicroLED still has a long way to go , the WALL showed off by Samsung was not a practical consumer TV at all. . Unless you want to wait like 9 years for Micro LED to come out , there are better choices around as of this moment.

QUOTE(Lego Warfare @ Jul 8 2018, 03:37 PM)
Even lower end LED TVs from Sony have already received update for Dolby Vision support. No 7000E though, but some 7500E models are also supported.

https://www.sony.com.sg/electronics/support...nloads/00015069
During CES 2017 , Sony had released this statement " ”Selected Sony TVs (ZD9, XE94, XE93 and A1 Series) will support Dolby Vision with the software update to be rolled out in Europe within April, 2018. To enjoy Dolby Vision content, the video streaming app/service must support Dolby Vision ”

On your subsequent message , you mentioned
Dolby Vision support for HDMI* is for the rest of the listed TVs as above as long their media/UHD Blu ray player is DV capable.

Regardless of the external device , if your TV is unable to process Dolby vision ( which consist of Dynamic Meta Data feedings ) when the playback device send these data to your TV , it will not process it as the way it was meant to play . Playing Dolby Vision content require extra CPU power , the lower tiers and mid range TV may not have enough CPU power on top of the tasks they were already assigned to such as motion interpolation and BFI.

The same Dolby Visions firmware update do applies to some of these lower end models , because the firmware bring more improvement than just DV updates . But these firmware will not magically upgrade mid-low range TVs hardware to process DV correctly. Just checked this with a calibrator on an updated x8000e .

If you are still in doubt , do check 7500F here . Dolby Vision isn't listed as the recognized HDR format , compare to the X1 Extreme models.

QUOTE(gogo2 @ Jul 8 2018, 03:14 PM)
Better than none? Better than 7000E/F?
It is better than none . So far even on TVs with crappy local dimming like most Samsung mid range TV has , I tend to notice significant improvement , especially playing darker movies with tiny highlights .

Hisense dimming system is a little slow at catching up , but I personally have not tested this TV before , not enough at least . So I will leave the opinions to others who have.

QUOTE(anxious @ Jul 8 2018, 02:13 PM)
Im no tech expert but I am very happy with the Sony 65inch 8500e TV I got for RM6099 from Harvey Norman last month. I also got 5 years warranty included.

Many of you have been very helpful. Thks

Lowyat is a good forum to share such information.
That's what I have been talking about for a while , respect & enjoy the technology .

You have done your research , you got your eyes locked on something , you know what you are getting. By all means just enjoy what you have bought , who cares what other feature it lacks , most important thing is you are happy with your purchase.

When people like me criticize a TV , it doesn't mean you shouldn't get it . I just want you to be aware of what you are buying , it's not like I make any profit if you end up purchasing a certain brand or models .

This post has been edited by Convael: Jul 30 2018, 06:53 AM
Convael
post Jul 12 2018, 10:38 PM

Enthusiast
830 posts

QUOTE(kkthen @ Jul 12 2018, 06:59 AM)
Any mid range led 65 inch TV do you recommend can play well HDR UHD movie?  Actually I wish to buy the best mid-range TV in USA 65 inch 900f. But  Sony only bring 85in TV size to Malaysia.
May be Sony only bring good hdr 65 in Z9F tv with x1 ultimate to Malaysia.
I wouldn't call X900F a mid range models , because of the pricing and size availability in MY, which is a shame because it is a really good TV.
Rumor is that Sony is planning to release the successor of A1E and Z9D within the year , again the price will probably shoot through the roof and remain out of reach for typical consumers .

Regardless , I do have a few Mid-range models in mind .
Since you specifically mentioned HDR , I will only emphasize on the VA Panels because of the contrast advantage .

Samsung NU 8000

Base on the pricing and models , this is my personal pick for the best mid range 55/65 VA panels in MY at the moment.

It has all the features you need for a decent HDR performance .
From Local Dimming ( edge-lit , not very good but better than nothing ) , Wide Color Gamut , excellent SDR brightness , above average HDR Brightness , good at showing brief bright highlights , 120 fps motion interpolation ( except the 49 inches which use the 60 hz panel )

For its price , its hard to find major flaws on this TV

the 2018 QLED brothers :

Samsung Q6FN
Entry level QLED , comparable with NU8000, except it has better coverage of colors because of the Quantum Dot panel and thus , excellent color volumes as well ( can show wider range of colors across different levels of brightness) just like all of its bigger brothers.

Samsung Q7FN
This little bad ass is quite a buy if you can afford it . An upgrade in almost everything from Q6FN . Especially with that 2000 Nits brightness .

Samsung Q8C
Samsung MY 's 2018 "new" model . I think the 55 inches have dropped below 10k now . This model was actually released last year (2017) in US / UK . I don't know why Samsung MY is rebranding it as a new 2018 TV , but their PR wouldn't tell us much . Unlike its other 2018 Q8FN counterpart , this TV doesn't has Full Array Local Dimming.

Something worth noting , these Samsung models supports Variable Refresh Rates , a.k.a FreeSync , which is nice if you plan to play PC games and Xbox games on these TVs.

Sony XF83
a relatively new Sony mid range VA model for 2018 . I don't know very much about it yet , but I know it is an android TV , doesn't has a local dimming system , has WCG, great motion features like most Sony TVs , probably the same brightness rating as last year's x8000e/x8500e , which is not impressive .

There's another notable mention , the Panasonic FX750K , which is another great VA TV. Sadly it isn't available in 65 inches .

LG 's 2018 models of the same range are all IPS panels .

This post has been edited by Convael: Jul 13 2018, 07:29 AM
Convael
post Jul 12 2018, 11:10 PM

Enthusiast
830 posts

QUOTE(kheing @ Jul 12 2018, 03:06 PM)
Hi Guys,

Between Sony Z9D (65") and X8500E (65"), which would be a better choice given that the X8500E is 2017 product vs Z9D being a 2016 product. Any downside to Z9D in terms of technology? Have a friend offering to offload his good condition Z9D close to the X8500E price, so seems like a good deal on retail price itself.

TIA.
There is no comparison really. Z9D is everything XE85 aspire to be , but fall miserably short of .

This post has been edited by Convael: Jul 12 2018, 11:11 PM
Convael
post Jul 13 2018, 08:45 PM

Enthusiast
830 posts

Deleted-wrong post

This post has been edited by Convael: Jul 13 2018, 09:11 PM
Convael
post Jul 13 2018, 09:05 PM

Enthusiast
830 posts

QUOTE(kkthen @ Jul 13 2018, 11:10 AM)
Thanks for reply.  In your post,  contrast is important factor for Hdr performance.  I should avoid Sony XF85 which is IPS panel (except 85 inch) .  Samsung 2018 qled Tv is good choice , but because they put new feature Auto low latency mode for xbox one x . This new nice feature make all exiting any brand Av receiver not compatible with  Samsung 2018 premium TV which start from NU8000 to Q9FN .  Many 10bit 4k Hdr device cannot pass through video from av receiver to TV .  But the device direct plug in TV is function normally.  So I still need to observe Samsung team can solve this problem with Firmware or not. IF not, I have to wait another year, hope Sony bring some 65 inch premium LED TV next year. Or take the burn in risk to buy LG OLED C8.
I have had similar issues with Samsung TVs before , PS4 struggling to output at YUV444 with handshake problems.
PS4 pro downgrade the Full RGB HDR to YUV 422 HDR, still having the HDMI handshake problems even after a cable exchange.

MY 3 LG TV seems to do fine with it . My friend's Samsung Q8c don't seem to have the problems , so yea I am not sure if its due to bandwidth limits or TV defective ports . There is a very length discussion thread on Sony's forum which makes me believe my problem isn't an isolated case . Outputting YUV422 shouldn't require HDMI 2.1 either.

If your TV watching habits are not too extreme , do consider an OLED . You should be safe from the Burn In risks as long as you take care of the TV.
No other TVs can come close to the picture quality of OLEDs

This post has been edited by Convael: Jul 13 2018, 09:10 PM
Convael
post Jul 14 2018, 09:58 AM

Enthusiast
830 posts

QUOTE(kkthen @ Jul 13 2018, 11:13 PM)
Seem like buy samsung TV need luck to get one which less problem with Ps4 pro. My family always see channels tv8 with got static tv8 logo about 4 hours per day. Is that safe to get oled TV?
LG OLEDs from 2018 do come with a new logo dimming feature in additional to Picture Shifting and Pixel Refresher .

It tunes down the brightness of static logos by roughly 20%. This will probably slightly reduce the chance of getting BI , still the -20% is nothing much since these 2018 panels are quite damn bright.

LG and some retailers also provide warranty for "burn marks" ( according to them ) for the first few years , so you shouldn't need to worry too much about burn in issues , at least not for the first few years within the warranty period.

With that being said , if your family watch channels with static logos , that can problematic in the long term .

I won't say it is competely safe , everything come with a risk . It is whether if the Picture Quality offered by OLED worth trading the risk of getting BI . For me and many of the OLED owners around here , it is worth every penny I have spent on it , so much that I am a proud owner of 3 OLEDs right now

The important thing here is to understand why is the screen is vulnerable to BI , because of the uneven aging of the OLED pixels .
Static logos tend to be bright , colorful . The brightest candles also burn out the fastest , the same logic applies here.

So the key to avoid Burn Ins , is to vary the purpose you used TV for . Playing games for awhile , watching sport channels of 2 hours , use it as display gallery for 30 minutes , back to watching HDR shows on Netflix etc etc

Theres also a massive flaw on these OLED TVs . Once you get used to owning one , you will not want to go to cinema , because you will keep staring at the black portion of the Cinema screen and wondering , why does her hair looks like gray smile.gif

This post has been edited by Convael: Jul 18 2018, 06:44 AM
Convael
post Jul 16 2018, 10:58 AM

Enthusiast
830 posts

QUOTE(kkthen @ Jul 14 2018, 11:59 AM)
Since Lg  provide warranty for "burn marks" first 2 years. I got confident to try oled.  I am very sad that Sony oled do not provide warranty for "burn marks". So I will skip Sony Oled.  So When I buy Lg oled, should I check 5% grey  vertical banding?  IF I found vertical banding is serious, Can I exchange another TV?
It is up to LG . If you report to LG they will send technician to inspect and advice on the issue first , base on the severity of the problem , the technician may give you a green light for exchange or repair .

You should know OLED always have near black uniformity issues , particularly in the range of 2-10% gray .
The next unit they have exchanged or repaired might not necessarily be better. It is a manufacturing flaw in OLEDs , they can't be avoided .
Luckily even in the most serious case , this is not a problem in 99% of the situation.

Convael
post Jul 28 2018, 06:44 PM

Enthusiast
830 posts

QUOTE(nyunyu @ Jul 28 2018, 09:24 AM)
Q7FN definitely looking sexy although at a cool RM15k it is out of my budget. Even the 65" Q6FN goes for RM11K which is still out of my budget.

NU8000 looks like a really bright TV. I'm still not sure if I should go for it even though I like its look. You see, my hall doesn't really gets bright with just sunlight, even in daylight cctv still showing in night vision mode unless I turn on the lights. Wife doesn't really like too bright of a tv too. Tried to find MU7000 but can't find a good price for it, at most I saw was RM5999 over at 11street which makes choosing NU8000 over it much much a sensible choice. Too bad it doesn't have dts codes which one of my criteria. Why is it I see NU8000 and MU8000 somewhat similar?

Does the NU8000 support dts passthrough?
Yea the pricing of those QLED models are a little silly . Q6FN is pretty much just like NU8000 except it is a Quantum Dots display , so it is slightly more colorful than NU8000 but I find its pricing a little absurd because it doesn't offer much over the NU8000.

The NU8000 is a bright TV but it isn't that bright compare with the likes of Z9D , Q9FN , Q7FN.

If your wife doesn't like the TV being too bright , you can always turn down the luminance settings .

When you have a bright TV you have the luxury to adjust the brightness to suit your needs.
While playing HDR content , some of those effects can look really eyepopping on brighter TVs .

Note : although brightness is not the only factor to determine HDR performance

NU8000 is the successor of MU7000 , MU8000 is a step up over MU7000 . The MU8000 uses full glossy screen coating , which can provide better anti reflection in a bright room. Beside that , MU8000 and MU7000 are pretty identical . Yea I know all these model numbers are very confusing .

Credit from rtings
Unfortunately, the tv ( NU8000 ) can't pass DTS 5.1 audio to an external receiver, but this isn't usually a problem because most content provides both DTS and Dolby Digital audio streams.

This post has been edited by Convael: Jul 28 2018, 06:56 PM
Convael
post Aug 1 2018, 12:16 PM

Enthusiast
830 posts

QUOTE(TongCN @ Aug 1 2018, 12:14 PM)
Any good bracket that support 65” size NU8000? Forgot to do homework on this, ouch
Something like this

This post has been edited by Convael: Aug 1 2018, 12:33 PM
Convael
post Aug 1 2018, 12:51 PM

Enthusiast
830 posts

QUOTE(TongCN @ Aug 1 2018, 12:38 PM)
Brand vesa, correct?
VESA isn't a brand, it is a grouping of 300 ++ companies coming together setting a standard across the brands.

The VESA mounting standards is used by most TV/Panels for the measurement of mounting interface.

NU8000 has a VESA 200X200 If I remember correctly , but the one I linked you is flexible enough to hold a 65 inches NU8000 , since it weights around 33kg .
Convael
post Aug 5 2018, 10:38 PM

Enthusiast
830 posts

QUOTE(hapa @ Aug 5 2018, 03:03 PM)
hi guys, im considering either Samsung NU8000 or Sony X75F. Both 65 inch with price difference about ~1K.

Any comment? which one would rather buy? Do share
The XF75F is basically XF70F ( a.k.a X7000F ,which is the entry level 4k model from Sony )with an Android OS . So if you are keen on buying the models , might as well save some money and get an Android Box + XF70 .

NU8000 is the mid range models from Samsung , it has some neat features like good screen brightness and decent HDR performance .

Overall NU8000 is the better TV but do remember it is a VA panel while XF75 and XF70 are both IPS TVs , therefore your room condition should also be considered here.

QUOTE(frankdun3 @ Aug 5 2018, 03:23 PM)
y dont try for new 2018 qled samsung 65"...very best

try look here...

https://www.banhuat.com/QA65Q6FNAKXXM
Q6FN is pretty much a NU8000 with Quantum Dot color filter , which has better reproduction of colors under different brightness levels .
But the TV can't get anywhere as bright as its bigger brother like Q7FN & QF9N , there is also some compromise in the color performance.

Since the advantage is only noticeable in very specific large & super bright HDR scenes ( which is not very common ), it is not worth spending much more money for Q6FN .

Stick with NU8000 or spend a bit more for the Q7FN instead.

This post has been edited by Convael: Aug 5 2018, 10:57 PM
Convael
post Aug 14 2018, 06:52 AM

Enthusiast
830 posts

QUOTE(gacktleong @ Aug 13 2018, 04:07 PM)
My naked eyes cant tell the diff between nu7100 and nu7400...

sweat.gif
You can't because most display shop doesn't loop HDR demo on their screen .

You need to play HDR content on these TVs to notice them.
For SDR content there isn't going to be any change.

QUOTE(stinky @ Aug 13 2018, 09:09 AM)
ASTRO gonna launch 4K UHD.....

Wanna ask is Sony 8500E 10 bit color or 12 bit?
10 bit

This post has been edited by Convael: Aug 14 2018, 07:05 AM
Convael
post Aug 16 2018, 11:27 AM

Enthusiast
830 posts

QUOTE(munak991 @ Aug 16 2018, 11:23 AM)
I want to get one 55 inch and one 65 inch TV

been looking many model

65 inch my shortlist is

LG nano cell 65"
Sony x85 series 2017 model

any concern?
budget ?

Convael
post Aug 16 2018, 12:04 PM

Enthusiast
830 posts

QUOTE(munak991 @ Aug 16 2018, 11:28 AM)
Both 55 and 65 at 10k budget.

my 65 at living hall
and 55 at room

Living hall i have my hifi setup, so sound doesnt concern me at all
A total budget of 10k for 2 TVs ? That's tricky .

You will need to decide which TV you will want to invest more for better picture quality.

I suggest you get an IPS TV for the living hall , so you can invite friends and family to watch the TV off axis without much of the picture deterioration.
Sony's 65 " XF85 / X8500F seems pretty nice. Or you can get a Panasonic FX750 instead.

For personal rooms , get a VA TV instead.

There is a large selection of VA TVs , Samsung 55" NU8000 is a pretty good bargain .
If you prefer an Android TV , the Sony 55" XF8300 is a fitting choice.

Convael
post Aug 17 2018, 01:51 PM

Enthusiast
830 posts

QUOTE(munak991 @ Aug 17 2018, 12:50 PM)
what's the different between X85F and E?
the "F " is an IPS TV while the " E " is a VA TV

6 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0231sec    0.72    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 23rd January 2021 - 10:08 PM