Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Pet Help In search of Hardwood sawdust for beetle substrate, Find hardwood sawdust/chips in Malaysia

views

TSnewtonianartist
post Sep 7 2017, 06:13 PM, updated 7y ago

0 posts

Good day to all the sifus here.

You see, about 6 months ago i started raring 5 Allomyrina Dichotoma beetle larvae i bought from one online vendor.

And i have bought about 15 litres of fermented sawdust as food source for these larvae, they work really well.

But the problem is these pre-made fermented sawdust are just too expensive for this beetle breeding hobby of mine to be anywhere near sustainable.

So i have come up with the idea of making these fermented sawdust myself and started googling.

The result i get is:

To make these fermented sawdust, the ingredients needed is as follow:

#1. Hardwood sawdust/chip (preferably Oak or Beech or a mix of two)

#2. Flour (can get in supermarket)

#3. Yeast (optional)

#4. Appropriate amount of water

Okay so onto the real problem, theres no Oak and beech trees in Malaysia, so obtaining Oak or Beech sawdust/chips is only possible through importing in the quantity of metric ton.

Therefore i have broaden my scope from Oak&Beech to Hardwood. Specifically hardwood sawdust and started going around sawmill after sawmill looking for just that but all i get is mixed sawdust. With the uncertainty of the source of the sawdust i cant exactly be sure if it is viable to be used as beetle larvae substrate. Either way i have bought a batch and started the production of my first fermented sawdust, i guess the only way to know is to teat it on live beetle larvae.

So the problem i would like to ask is have anyone any source for hardwood OR hardwood sawdust OR hardwood chips? If yes, can provide me the contact?

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0097sec    0.22    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:56 PM