Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Basic Sq upgrade suggestion

views

TSemperor97
post Sep 5 2017, 06:41 AM, updated 7y ago

0 posts

Hi, I am looking for suggestion for upgrade, the following is my current setup. Looking to have a livelier, more realistic sound.
Listening to mostly English pop, mandopop, r&b and edm

HU: Pioneer 80prs
Component: German Maestro cs6508 2 way, running active
Amp: Mb Quart RAB 250 x2 for front comp, Blaupunkt GTA 270 SF bridged for sub
Sub: Kicker comp 12" inch, low pass 50hz @ -30db/octave
Soundproof: 2 layers on front door, with acoustic dampening foam in plastic panel
Wiring: normal rca

I was thinking to go 3 way front setup, not sure whether it is a great idea.
Thank you for all of the suggestion from ice sifu sifu. 🙏🙏🙏

This post has been edited by emperor97: Sep 5 2017, 06:48 AM
naveenkalai7
post Sep 5 2017, 09:41 AM

Getting Started
75 posts

One sifu asked me before, why want to upgrade to 3 way when you can make your 2 way sound better than 3 way..

Maybe you can try tuning it bro since you already got some nice stuffs..
TSemperor97
post Sep 5 2017, 03:19 PM

0 posts

Alright naveen, I will consider that, thank you

craziechild
post Sep 6 2017, 01:14 AM

ICE HiFi Fanatic!
721 posts

first off... where are you situated?
I am asking because if you are in JB... probably you would want to have a TT so that you could know what actually are you looking for...

going through your list of hardware and your requirement... I think that your major bottleneck is on your amplifiers... The powers are kinda small for further upgrades...

Going 3-way isnt really a bad idea... it opens up a whole new level of sound quality but the most important thing is really, do you have a really good reference to have it done...
TSemperor97
post Sep 6 2017, 04:54 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(craziechild @ Sep 6 2017, 01:14 AM)
first off... where are you situated?
I am asking because if you are in JB... probably you would want to have a TT so that you could know what actually are you looking for...

going through your list of hardware and your requirement... I think that your major bottleneck is on your amplifiers... The powers are kinda small for further upgrades...

Going 3-way isnt really a bad idea... it opens up a whole new level of sound quality but the most important thing is really, do you have a really good reference to have it done...
That will be good though, but I'm based in KL
naveenkalai7
post Sep 6 2017, 10:06 AM

Getting Started
75 posts

QUOTE(emperor97 @ Sep 6 2017, 04:54 AM)
That will be good though, but I'm based in KL
You can visit some of the famous ICE shops bro for advice..

TSemperor97
post Sep 7 2017, 03:32 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(naveenkalai7 @ Sep 6 2017, 10:06 AM)
You can visit some of the famous ICE shops bro for advice..
alright naveen, will go and pay a visit for reputable ice shops around me, thanks naveen
Xai-V-iaX
post Sep 8 2017, 03:37 PM

Regular
1,516 posts

QUOTE(emperor97 @ Sep 5 2017, 06:41 AM)
Hi, I am looking for suggestion for upgrade, the following is my current setup. Looking to have a livelier, more realistic sound.

Soundproof: 2 layers on front door, with acoustic dampening foam in plastic panel

My 2 cents:

Without even having to upgrade anything yet - you can technically "upgrade" your sound by getting it tuned properly.

In a 80PRS you have a decent headunit that gives you a lot of space in terms of tuning ability which opens a wider spectrum. The GM drivers aren't too bad either. So your basics are there already.

Should you feel that there are "opportunities" to make it sound even better, then you can look forward to upgrading the hardwares. Just by swapping the MB Quart amp to a higher quality one you'll probably be able to hear a big difference.

...as for going to 3-ways or making your 2-ways sound better than a 3-way - IT's ALL SUBJECTIVE. I have always believed that what sounds nice to me might not sound nice to you and vice versa. I have heard shitty 2-ways and 3-ways & have heard wonderful 2-ways and 3-ways.

Again...just a 2 cent from a novice. icon_rolleyes.gif icon_rolleyes.gif icon_rolleyes.gif
TSemperor97
post Sep 9 2017, 12:04 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(Xai-V-iaX @ Sep 8 2017, 03:37 PM)
My 2 cents:

Without even having to upgrade anything yet - you can technically "upgrade" your sound by getting it tuned properly.

In a 80PRS you have a decent headunit that gives you a lot of space in terms of tuning ability which opens a wider spectrum. The GM drivers aren't too bad either. So your basics are there already.

Should you feel that there are "opportunities" to make it sound even better, then you can look forward to upgrading the hardwares. Just by swapping the MB Quart amp to a higher quality one you'll probably be able to hear a big difference.

...as for going to 3-ways or making your 2-ways sound better than a 3-way - IT's ALL SUBJECTIVE. I have always believed that what sounds nice to me might not sound nice to you and vice versa. I have heard shitty 2-ways and 3-ways & have heard wonderful 2-ways and 3-ways.

Again...just a 2 cent from a novice.  icon_rolleyes.gif  icon_rolleyes.gif  icon_rolleyes.gif
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, but i am trying to rule out the tuning part as i believe my system had been tuned to its optimum state by a fellow forumer, who is also an EMMA certified ICE installer. So, do you have any recommendation for me to replace the mb quarts? Tq very much. 😁😁

This post has been edited by emperor97: Sep 9 2017, 12:05 AM
Xai-V-iaX
post Sep 9 2017, 12:28 AM

Regular
1,516 posts

QUOTE(emperor97 @ Sep 9 2017, 12:04 AM)
Thank you for sharing your thoughts, but i am trying to rule out the tuning part as i believe my system had been tuned to its optimum state by a fellow forumer, who is also an EMMA certified ICE installer. So, do you have any recommendation for me to replace the mb quarts? Tq very much. 😁😁
Define already tuned to its optimum hmm.gif

Recommendations would depend on your budget.
TSemperor97
post Sep 9 2017, 02:03 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(Xai-V-iaX @ Sep 9 2017, 12:28 AM)
Define already tuned to its optimum  hmm.gif

Recommendations would depend on your budget.
Sorry for not being clear and concise. IMO optimum means, soundstage is clearly in front, vocal dead centre on the dash. Bass is not muddy, in fact clear and thumpy. Just that it is off centred, leaning to the left of the dash, but still, can clearly hear that the bass is coming from the dash. I am not sure if this is its optimum state, but I think it is, if it is possible to reveal more of its potential through tuning, then I will definitely go that way. My budget for upgrade is around 3 to 4k.
Thank you for sharing your experience to me, Xai-V-iaX. Definitely appreciate your help. 😀😀
Xai-V-iaX
post Sep 10 2017, 07:32 PM

Regular
1,516 posts

QUOTE(emperor97 @ Sep 9 2017, 02:03 AM)
Sorry for not being clear and concise. IMO optimum means, soundstage is clearly in front, vocal dead centre on the dash. Bass is not muddy, in fact clear and thumpy. Just that it is off centred, leaning to the left of the dash, but still, can clearly hear that the bass is coming from the dash. I am not sure if this is its optimum state, but I think it is, if it is possible to reveal more of its potential through tuning, then I will definitely go that way. My budget for upgrade is around 3 to 4k.
Thank you for sharing your experience to me, Xai-V-iaX. Definitely appreciate your help. 😀😀
With that budget, you should easily be able to source a mid to high end amp for your front staging. Since you're already playing active, this upgrade will be IMHO an audible change in your system.

You can always go for used amps as it presents a good deal than paying full amount for a brand new amp.

Names that I can vouch for (because I have personally used em') are:

- GENESIS (Series 3) ***IMHO the best amps ever made*** tongue.gif
- McIntosh
- TRU Technology (Billet Series)
- Brax
- Helix
- Audio System (Twister Series)
- Precision Power (the older US made ones)
TSemperor97
post Sep 11 2017, 05:32 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(Xai-V-iaX @ Sep 10 2017, 07:32 PM)
With that budget, you should easily be able to source a mid to high end amp for your front staging. Since you're already playing active, this upgrade will be IMHO an audible change in your system.

You can always go for used amps as it presents a good deal than paying full amount for a brand new amp.

- McIntosh
- Brax
- Helix
Alright, thank you for these suggestion. 😀😀

Audio Master
post Nov 16 2017, 05:44 PM

0 posts

3 ways for sure sound awesome! but need proper tuning....... also... very burn wallet... lol... u get a pair of midbass, u need do pillar adi... do pillar adi u need additional amp.. ouch... add amp jor... fuse holder need change output 3... lol... power cable if use small cable u might need upgrade 4ga n above... at the end settle... wallet boom
TamtamENT
post Feb 27 2018, 06:03 AM

0 posts

QUOTE(emperor97 @ Sep 9 2017, 02:03 AM)
Where's ur subwoofer position? Becoz sub sound should be coming from centre/behind..

Long time ago i meet dominations brand supplier/installer.. I've inside his jazz for test his car audio..

His setup is surrounded sound but only using

Sony HU if not wrong, 1x 4ch amp, 2x full range at front dashboard, 1x fullrange at rear left upper pillar, 1x 10" sub at bonnet.. speaker & sub all dominations brand, amp not sure..

The sound is perfect for cheap setup like that, with surrounded staging, bass coming from behind to front.. when i close my eyes, the sub sound like coming from below dashboard..

So in my opinion, based on ur description, only ur sub need adjust the placement, then retuning ur system.. if u need to blast at higher volume, then only u upgrade ur amps.
slyder
post Mar 8 2018, 05:23 PM

37 posts

QUOTE(Xai-V-iaX @ Sep 10 2017, 07:32 PM)

- McIntosh
- Brax
- Helix
Soundstream old series
precision power (PPI) Art series
Audison VRX
Edis0n
post Mar 22 2018, 04:49 PM

Getting Started
158 posts

maybe you can list out your budget so that all sifus here can recommend their upgrade setup for your system..
viper1912
post Mar 28 2018, 09:44 AM

44 posts

QUOTE(emperor97 @ Sep 5 2017, 06:41 AM)

To me your have very very decent ICE equipment. But why normal RCA, you should got for better 1. After spending so much, without proper connection, it wont sound the best.
Dun hv to go for expensive RCA. Decent 1 will do.

Also pay some attention to speaker cable. As no matter how expensive your equipment you require "wire" to connect them.

My personal preference amp. Go for old skool. My choice would be Phoneix Gold.

This post has been edited by viper1912: Mar 28 2018, 09:44 AM

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0167sec    0.56    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:13 PM