Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

University Choosing an university

views

TSFarman
post Oct 6 2017, 02:52 AM

20 posts

QUOTE(joe_toye @ Oct 2 2017, 06:07 AM)
Sorry - There is a difference between a 3+0 programmes and a Dual Parchment. Most of the Universities you listed there only offers a Dual Parchment which means that you get two degrees (one from Malaysia and one from UK) but in essence, the UK cert may not be the actual one given by the awarding UK university. It means that the UK university just validates or moderates the programme in Malaysia and recognises the Malaysian qualification. They may not even have the identical programme running in their university.

This is in actuality a gimmick offered by most universities and does not equate to quality in terms of UK syllabus or delivery which is usually not an issue as some Malaysian universities are actually of international standard like Sunway or Taylors.

Malaysian Universities are technically NOT allowed to offer 3+0 programmes anymore as their promotion to full university dictates that they must offer their own degree programmes. Only the colleges are allowed to offer 3+0 (or University Colleges in transition).

Although some universities do have college entities that may have 3+0 programmes.

So the big question is - what do you really want?
Thanks for your response. I actually want a degree from a UK university but live in Malaysia and study there. The reason is the low cost - please do suggest me universities which actually OFFER a UK degree. Thanks!
kejun
post Oct 6 2017, 12:48 PM

Getting Started
93 posts

QUOTE(Farman @ Oct 6 2017, 02:52 AM)
Thanks for your response. I actually want a degree from a UK university but live in Malaysia and study there. The reason is the low cost - please do suggest me universities which actually OFFER a UK degree. Thanks!
The universities which have offered dual award with UK universities (available for 3 years in Malaysia with 2 degree certs) are Sunway, Nottingham, Reading, Taylors, Help, Segi, Inti, APU, TARUC-Penang campus, KDU-Penang campus, IUMW, Heriot-Watt, Lincoln etc.

IUMW, TARUC-Penang campus may be the choices for you based on your budget. (KDU-Penang and Inti maybe)

I think you can consider the Australia degree, it is cheaper than you study for UK cert in Malaysia, such as Curtin, Swinburne (Monash too expensive haha).
TSFarman
post Oct 9 2017, 01:10 AM

20 posts

QUOTE(kejun @ Oct 6 2017, 07:48 AM)
The universities which have offered dual award with UK universities (available for 3 years in Malaysia with 2 degree certs) are Sunway, Nottingham, Reading, Taylors, Help, Segi, Inti, APU, TARUC-Penang campus, KDU-Penang campus, IUMW, Heriot-Watt, Lincoln etc.

IUMW, TARUC-Penang campus may be the choices for you based on your budget. (KDU-Penang and Inti maybe)

I think you can consider the Australia degree, it is cheaper than you study for UK cert in Malaysia, such as Curtin, Swinburne (Monash too expensive haha).
Thanks so much! Are there other universities which offer Australian degree as well? biggrin.gif
joe_toye
post Oct 9 2017, 10:17 AM

Regular
1,249 posts

QUOTE(Farman @ Oct 6 2017, 02:52 AM)
I am assuming you want Business type degree programmes.

If you want a full 3+0 UK Degree programme, there are not many top tier reputable universities that offer them or with high to mid-ranked UK universities. At the top of my head, these are the ones that offers a PURE 3+0 (and not dual parchment)

- INTI International College (Subang Campus) with University of Hertfordshire, UK
- KDU College (Damansara Jaya Campus) with Chester University, UK (Highly Recommended)

If you want Australian 3+0 Degree Programmes
- Sunway College with Victoria University, Australia (Highly Recommended)
- INTI International College (Subang Campus) with University of Wollongong

The other recommendation is to study in the following UK or Australian universities:
- Nottingham University, Malaysia
- Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
- Monash University, Malaysia
kejun
post Oct 9 2017, 04:47 PM

Getting Started
93 posts

QUOTE(Farman @ Oct 9 2017, 01:10 AM)
Thanks so much! Are there other universities which offer Australian degree as well? biggrin.gif
Besides Monash, Curtin and Swinburne, others would be Taylors-QUT, Inti-Wollongong, Sunway-Victoria.
TSFarman
post Oct 11 2017, 04:18 AM

20 posts

QUOTE(joe_toye @ Oct 9 2017, 05:17 AM)
I am assuming you want Business type degree programmes.

If you want a full 3+0 UK Degree programme, there are not many top tier reputable universities that offer them or with high to mid-ranked UK universities. At the top of my head, these are the ones that offers a PURE 3+0 (and not dual parchment)

- INTI International College (Subang Campus) with University of Hertfordshire, UK
- KDU College (Damansara Jaya Campus) with Chester University, UK  (Highly Recommended)

If you want Australian 3+0 Degree Programmes
- Sunway College with Victoria University, Australia (Highly Recommended)
- INTI International College (Subang Campus) with University of Wollongong

The other recommendation is to study in the following UK or Australian universities:
- Nottingham University, Malaysia
- Heriot-Watt University Malaysia
- Monash University, Malaysia
Thanks. I've considered KDU - can you please give your opinions and reasons behind your recommendation? biggrin.gif
TSFarman
post Oct 11 2017, 04:19 AM

20 posts

QUOTE(kejun @ Oct 9 2017, 11:47 AM)
Besides Monash, Curtin and Swinburne, others would be Taylors-QUT, Inti-Wollongong, Sunway-Victoria.
Thanks, bud!
joe_toye
post Oct 11 2017, 10:13 AM

Regular
1,249 posts

QUOTE(Farman @ Oct 11 2017, 04:18 AM)
Thanks. I've considered KDU - can you please give your opinions and reasons behind your recommendation? biggrin.gif
I'll give you the pros and cons:

Pros:
University of Chester is ranked mid table (depends on which ranking you check - it's anywhere from 61st to 91th).
KDU has been around for a very long time and is reputable (in terms of academic integrity)
The student body is very focused in the studies especially in the Damansara campus as it is predominantly pre-u, ACCA and Chester/Keele students as well as Law students.

Cons:
The programme itself is relatively new.
The campus in Damansara is kinda old and dated (depends on whether you put a lot of preference in that sort of things)
I heard that the student life and activities are not very active in that campus
TSFarman
post Oct 20 2017, 03:47 AM

20 posts

Opinions on First City College & HELP Uni? biggrin.gif
joe_toye
post Oct 20 2017, 10:41 AM

Regular
1,249 posts

QUOTE(Farman @ Oct 20 2017, 03:47 AM)
Opinions on First City College & HELP Uni? biggrin.gif
First City i would think is a second-tier university with probably good resources but sub-par lecturers in this field. HELP is ok but may not be the best option for business programmes. However, that is just my opinion which is due to my lack of research/knowledge in this particular area of study for HELP.

Why are you considering these two? Is it because of costs?
TSFarman
post Oct 27 2017, 10:06 PM

20 posts

QUOTE(joe_toye @ Oct 20 2017, 05:41 AM)
First City i would think is a second-tier university with probably good resources but sub-par lecturers in this field. HELP is ok but may not be the best option for business programmes. However, that is just my opinion which is due to my lack of research/knowledge in this particular area of study for HELP.

Why are you considering these two? Is it because of costs?
Yeah. My friend just advised me to not to go to APU as it's very bad and everyone is racist there lol?
joe_toye
post Oct 30 2017, 09:42 AM

Regular
1,249 posts

QUOTE(Farman @ Oct 27 2017, 10:06 PM)
Yeah. My friend just advised me to not to go to APU as it's very bad and everyone is racist there lol?
I don't know about racism there actually. It's a fairly decent university but as with all university entities which has education as their core business, they may seem very skewed towards their business more than education. But as far as i know, they are much better than First City or HELP in Computing Courses.
TSFarman
post Nov 2 2017, 04:40 AM

20 posts

QUOTE(joe_toye @ Oct 30 2017, 04:42 AM)
I don't know about racism there actually. It's a fairly decent university but as with all university entities which has education as their core business, they may seem very skewed towards their business more than education. But as far as i know, they are much better than First City or HELP in Computing Courses.
Hey, sorry for so many questions but what are your opinions about Curtin University Sarawak?
syirbiznatch
post Nov 5 2017, 03:09 AM

On my way
549 posts

Taylor and Sunway would be a good place to go
TSFarman
post Nov 10 2017, 11:29 PM

20 posts

QUOTE(syirbiznatch @ Nov 4 2017, 10:09 PM)
Taylor and Sunway would be a good place to go
Out of my budget, mate. Any opinions on Curtin or Swinburne?
kejun
post Nov 11 2017, 07:18 AM

Getting Started
93 posts

QUOTE(Farman @ Nov 10 2017, 11:29 PM)
Out of my budget, mate. Any opinions on Curtin or Swinburne?
In terms of ranking, Curtin (rank 101-150) is better than Swinburne (no ranking). However in terms of lecturers, Swinburne Malaysia's are better than Curtin Malaysia's (I checked they have some lecturers were graduated from cambridge or other reputable universities lol), and their student even won Deloitte Tax Challenge Malaysia last year.

In my opinion, if you prefer a good brand name degree choose Curtin, if you prefer a good quality of learning, i think Swinburne is better lol
Buyalotforgaming
post Nov 11 2017, 04:21 PM

Casual
493 posts

For those Universities out of your reach (Sunway etc.), have you considered the option of perhaps applying for some grants or scholarships? They offer these to academic achievers (of course) as well as people who can 'contribute' to the Uni (sports etc.)
TSFarman
post Nov 13 2017, 04:51 AM

20 posts

QUOTE(Buyalotforgaming @ Nov 11 2017, 11:21 AM)
For those Universities out of your reach (Sunway etc.), have you considered the option of perhaps applying for some grants or scholarships? They offer these to academic achievers (of course) as well as people who can 'contribute' to the Uni (sports etc.)
Yeah, do they offer generous scholarships to international students? That's the main question. All thanks to God, I'm a good in studies and can achieve AAA or AAB or ABB in A levels. I'm doing Accounting, Business & Economics at A levels.
TSFarman
post Nov 13 2017, 05:14 AM

20 posts

Additionally, how's INTI International University Nilai? The big campus.
Buyalotforgaming
post Nov 13 2017, 10:30 PM

Casual
493 posts

QUOTE(Farman @ Nov 13 2017, 04:51 AM)
Yeah, do they offer generous scholarships to international students? That's the main question. All thanks to God, I'm a good in studies and can achieve AAA or AAB or ABB in A levels. I'm doing Accounting, Business & Economics at A levels.
I think you should go and ask. I am pretty sure there are grants for international students as well.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0200sec    0.29    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:48 PM