Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

It is time to introduce a politics forum

views

TSPabloTH
post Aug 31 2017, 11:19 PM, updated 7y ago

Getting Started
163 posts

In recent weeks, I realized that there is a surge of fake accounts with zero posts coming into kopitiam and posting sensitive political topics.

If these political topics were meant to be discussed in a thoughtful and mature manner, I believed this trend would add value to the forum as a whole.

However, on a closer look, these political topics are often started with a less noble intention which I felt were meant to trigger people's emotion and stirring hate speech.

This is evident from people who started all these threads are often new/fake accounts. And most of these topics ended up being locked and deleted from the forum.

The experience of surfing kopitiam has been a disaster. What we want is a place to engage in funny banter and not hate speech like orang kita, bn macais, hadi this hadi that, dap*g etc.

Hence, I like to come up with a few suggestions which I hope could make lowyat a better place

A) Prohibit all politically related topics from Casual Kopitiam (the rule seems to be already there but lacks enforcement)

B) Set up a separate Political forum where no new accounts can start threads untill a certain number of posts

Baconateer
post Aug 31 2017, 11:22 PM

Meh..... (TM)
4,874 posts

Because until now, no implementation or whatsoever stopping new accounts from creating threads..

So they just post, if got banned, they just create another account..and it goes on and on..
TSPabloTH
post Aug 31 2017, 11:25 PM

Getting Started
163 posts

QUOTE(Baconateer @ Aug 31 2017, 11:22 PM)
Because until now, no implementation or whatsoever stopping new accounts from creating threads..

So they just post, if got banned, they just create another account..and it goes on and on..
Yes indeed.

I have lost count on the number of racist threads or posts created by new accounts which I believed are the clone of the older members.

If lowyat is serious about uniting against racism, something has to be done about it.
se7en
post Sep 1 2017, 01:54 AM

resistance is futile
Group Icon
Admin
1,806 posts

We been dealing with this for years now. Its not as easy as you make it sound.

A) The rule prohibiting politics in /k has always been there, but shutting down topics for being 'politically motivated' just goes against the spirit of /k. Topics that get out of hand are shutdown and deleted. The TS themselves are given the option to moderate their own topics - but yes, the recent influx of dupe accounts and troublemakers are something we are aware of.

B) RWI is that subsection and has always been the 'proper' place to discuss political and other sensitive issues.
TSPabloTH
post Sep 1 2017, 07:40 AM

Getting Started
163 posts

QUOTE(se7en @ Sep 1 2017, 01:54 AM)
We been dealing with this for years now. Its not as easy as you make it sound.

A) The rule prohibiting politics in /k has always been there, but shutting down topics for being 'politically motivated' just goes against the spirit of /k. Topics that get out of hand are shutdown and deleted. The TS themselves are given the option to moderate their own topics - but yes, the recent influx of dupe accounts and troublemakers are something we are aware of.

B) RWI is that subsection and has always been the 'proper' place to discuss political and other sensitive issues.
Thanks for the explanation.

Just like in a real world coffee shop, political topics are bound to be brought up from time to time.

Hence, I agree with lowyat spirit that promotes free speech.

Since the moderators are aware of this issue, I believe some sort of mechanism are being worked on to make the forum a better place.

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0127sec    0.33    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:30 PM