Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump TopicReply to this topicRSS feed Start new topic Start Poll

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> custom build or use open source ?, which overall better ?

danny200
post Aug 24 2017, 03:49 PM, updated 2 months ago

Group: Junior Member

My female boss decided to hire a vendor to develop a ecommerce website from scratch. The vendor charged us about forty thousands RM and on top of that got yearly maintenance fee. walau....

My colleague told my boss that he can build a ecommerce website with by using opensource like woocommerce or opencart with very minimum cost. But my boss dont want cause she heard open source got security issue. Build-from-scratch website has better security...

what you guys think ?

after all, we just need a standard shopping website. not those complicated like TGV or airasia where the online ecommerce is advance level.

This post has been edited by danny200: Aug 24 2017, 03:51 PM
observ
post Aug 24 2017, 03:56 PM

"Build-from-scratch website has better security" is a blatant lie.

Open source software gets examined and testing by hundreds if not thousands of users. Bugs are reported and fixed.
kvnheng
post Aug 24 2017, 04:12 PM

QUOTE(danny200 @ Aug 24 2017, 03:49 PM)
My female boss decided to hire a vendor to develop a ecommerce website from scratch. The vendor charged us about forty thousands RM and on top of that got yearly maintenance fee. walau....

My colleague told my boss that he can build a ecommerce website with by using opensource like woocommerce or opencart with very minimum cost. But my boss dont want cause she heard open source got security issue. Build-from-scratch website has better security...

what you guys think ?

after all, we just need a standard shopping website. not those complicated like TGV or airasia where the online ecommerce is advance level.
what make your boss think that opensource is not secure while developer build much secure? nothing is secure in the world, all depending on how the backend infra security design, framework design and etc.

for 99% secure, you need to hire pentester to audit your website security, otherwise you will never know how secure is the website until somebody target it.
1to3for
post Aug 24 2017, 04:21 PM

Getting Started

lol, the vendor sales guy damn good.

anyways, creating a web application from scratch with no frameworks used is worth much much more than RM 40,000.
1to3for
post Aug 24 2017, 04:32 PM

Getting Started

anyways, don't reinvent the wheel. just use a hosted solution for lesser headaches and peace at night.

exabytes ada easystore or if you want a better solid foundation and massive support, use Shopify.
haturaya
post Aug 24 2017, 04:35 PM

Regular
Group Icon
Group: Elite

That vendor must use some form of open source framework as the basis... RM40k for a complete solution - to cheap to be true.
SWsolutions
post Aug 25 2017, 02:34 PM

Getting Started

QUOTE(haturaya @ Aug 24 2017, 04:35 PM)
That vendor must use some form of open source framework as the basis... RM40k for a complete solution - to cheap to be true.
+1 thumbup.gif

etsuko
post Aug 25 2017, 05:00 PM

Spaced Out Creative Designer & Business Owner
Group Icon
Group: Elite

what you guys think ?

What's standard? If your colleague and you are familiar with the platforms out there, you'd know the only thing standard for an e-commerce is the ability to add products and accept online payments. Even accepting of payments is not universal, because some only offer payment integration to Paypal and would require you to get another 3rd party solution to accept other form of payments.

Though I applaud your internal team for taking the initiative in trying to educate your management. And it's surprising to hear that it didn't lend much weight to at least bring up the concern with the vendor.

As for safety, it'll depend on the experience of the development team. hmm.gif
zoewebs
post Aug 26 2017, 09:39 PM

Group: Newbie

Either open source or not, they will have security problem. If you use open source, it's good practice to update it from time to time. Same thing to not open source, your vendor need to update it from time to time. So, I foresee, the maintenance fee for not open source will be higher.
alien3d
post Aug 27 2017, 08:30 AM

Look at all my stars!!
Group: Senior Member

what you guys think ?

40k to cheap.?Average should min 200k to 1M. Do remind, most open source product not sync with normal accounting stock unless you're like sap cum https://magento.com/tech-resources/download.

Customisation can take years to complete if you don't have specification..

SonnyCooL
post Sep 2 2017, 12:12 AM

Web Bastard

QUOTE(alien3d @ Aug 27 2017, 08:30 AM)
40k to cheap.?Average should min 200k to 1M. Do remind, most open source product not sync with normal accounting stock unless you're like sap cum https://magento.com/tech-resources/download.

Customisation can take years to complete if you don't have specification..
laravel is custom framework ma ..... tongue.gif
axis_lua
post Sep 17 2017, 03:52 PM

Enthusiast

the security issue comes when your vendor starts to use code/theme/plugin/addon outside of the open source framework. The actual framework isn't the problem 99% of the time since it gets actively patch and there are a community who actually work on it as compare to a private software that has a few staff to work on it. The real problem comes when issue arrival and they have no one to blame and point to 'open source system'.
BladeRider
post Sep 19 2017, 03:55 PM

Depending on the size of your business and decide do you really need a customized, build from scratch ecomm. The common open source ecomm platform out there are more than enough to use for most of the online store
muyyaqdhom
post Oct 2 2017, 04:23 AM

.noobie.

40k is cheap for coding from scratch
ladycooper
post Oct 2 2017, 10:41 AM

On my way

Just wondering what are the main features your boss is looking forward to have with the RM40k fee?

platform like WordPress (with Woocommerce) are powerful enough and one of the mostly widely used ecommerce solution in the world.
something that have most people using, when having problem also lots of people will be coming in to fix it
Just make sure that you upgrade your WordPress regularly when new stable version is released.

You can also consider some of the ecommerce hosted solution like EasyStore
or we also provide service for Managed Service using EasyStore

x3Kai
post Oct 6 2017, 10:13 AM

Getting Started

if i'm not wrong, most vendor use open source codes as their base lol
breaker84
post Oct 6 2017, 10:17 AM

\\//\\//\\//\\//

later vendor also use open source, but they rebranding it....
you need to come out with some coparison sheet...
open source + hired temporary programmer | vendor

need also think about maintenance as well

amir.asyraf
post Oct 9 2017, 11:29 PM

Getting Started

If you're not a company that actually develops the products, building from scratch is such a stupid idea. Waste of time and resources.
ecksdee
post Oct 13 2017, 01:22 AM

Group: Newbie

Depends on how much value of your company.

Bump TopicReply to this topicTopic OptionsStart new topic

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0756sec    4.84    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 09:42 AM