Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

History Skim Fellowship, Anyone here taking skim fellowship?

views

TSTT22
post Aug 17 2017, 08:03 AM, updated 7y ago

Getting Started
182 posts

Anyone here took skim fellowship and eventually become lecturer in IPTA? Just wondering now still have this kind of offer or not? If have may i know how to apply?
v1n0d
post Aug 17 2017, 08:40 AM

Another roof, another proof.
3,197 posts

I was sponsored under MOSTI's National Science Fellowship. It's been 6 months since I sent in my SPA application, no offer from any IPTAs yet. The clerk at the submissions counter told me there's a high chance they'll release the bond as the government can't afford to hire new staff at the moment.
TSTT22
post Aug 17 2017, 08:50 AM

Getting Started
182 posts

QUOTE(v1n0d @ Aug 17 2017, 08:40 AM)
I was sponsored under MOSTI's National Science Fellowship. It's been 6 months since I sent in my SPA application, no offer from any IPTAs yet. The clerk at the submissions counter told me there's a high chance they'll release the bond as the government can't afford to hire new staff at the moment.
Means if you are selected, you are under contract but not permanent? Hard to work as lecturer now also.... sweat.gif sweat.gif
v1n0d
post Aug 17 2017, 09:41 AM

Another roof, another proof.
3,197 posts

QUOTE(TT22 @ Aug 17 2017, 08:50 AM)
Means if you are selected, you are under contract but not permanent? Hard to work as lecturer now also.... sweat.gif  sweat.gif
Not too sure about that. Previously it was 1 year contract, then convert to permanent afterwards. With the pinch we're in now, I'm not too sure if that still applies.

Lecturing positions are aplenty especially in private institutions. However, language proficiency is still a major issue for most (English is crucial as we have a large number of foreign students). I've interviewed at least 10 candidates from public universities in the last year or so, and we've hired only 2 of them. As an alumni of a public university myself, it saddens me to know that these people who don't make the cut will eventually be absorbed back into their alma mater, degrading the teaching quality over time.
TSTT22
post Aug 17 2017, 01:08 PM

Getting Started
182 posts

QUOTE(v1n0d @ Aug 17 2017, 09:41 AM)
Not too sure about that. Previously it was 1 year contract, then convert to permanent afterwards. With the pinch we're in now, I'm not too sure if that still applies.

Lecturing positions are aplenty especially in private institutions. However, language proficiency is still a major issue for most (English is crucial as we have a large number of foreign students). I've interviewed at least 10 candidates from public universities in the last year or so, and we've hired only 2 of them. As an alumni of a public university myself, it saddens me to know that these people who don't make the cut will eventually be absorbed back into their alma mater, degrading the teaching quality over time.
Some of the public University are using bahasa malaysia to teach if there are no international students but the teaching material are all in english.
SUSprincesshigh
post Aug 21 2017, 10:41 PM

Getting Started
59 posts

I know quite a lot of them doing PhD in my university and overseas. Usually fellowship scheme is for candidates to pursue PhD at Top Tier University (Cambridge, Oxford, Harvard or any Top 20 Uni in the world). I don't know whether they still send students overseas with our economic conditions. However I do believe the scheme is still there. The staff from the uni who want to continue PhD will be given the priority for this scholarship but you still can apply. All you have to do is to download the forms from HR department or maybe you can email them if it is not available through their website. Then they will invite you for interview if they like it. Waiting time from submission of the form to their first decision depends on department you are applying. If the Ketua Jabatan likes you so much, then you will get it. But if they don't like you, then forget it (based on my experience).
TSTT22
post Aug 22 2017, 08:20 AM

Getting Started
182 posts

QUOTE(princesshigh @ Aug 21 2017, 10:41 PM)
I know quite a lot of them doing PhD in my university and overseas. Usually fellowship scheme is for candidates to pursue PhD at Top Tier University (Cambridge, Oxford, Harvard or any Top 20 Uni in the world). I don't know whether they still send students overseas with our economic conditions. However I do believe the scheme is still there. The staff from the uni who want to continue PhD will be given the priority for this scholarship but you still can apply. All you have to do is to download the forms from HR department or maybe you can email them if it is not available through their website. Then they will invite you for interview if they like it. Waiting time from submission of the form to their first decision depends on department you are applying. If the Ketua Jabatan likes you so much, then you will get it. But if they don't like you, then forget it (based on my experience).
Ya, due to the current economic conditions so i am afraid don't have this type of offer.. Anyway thanks for your words ya...
kissella
post Jan 20 2018, 01:17 PM

23 posts

Just talked to my supervisor about this. He was under the fellowship before this but for current nowadays not many ipta offer fellowship anymore. Usm no more. So sad

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0149sec    0.41    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:39 PM