Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Is public uni good for international students?

views

TSmohar999
post Aug 16 2017, 07:35 PM, updated 7y ago

2 posts

Hey guys. Im willing to travel to malaysia for my undergraduate. I did some research and found out that private universities are really expensive. I will need a budget of atleast 40k RM per year for private unis which is alot. Then I mailed UTM to check their fee and its only 6340 RM per semester including accommodation, which means i will need only about 20k RM per year. Can someone give me reviews of public unis like UTM? Does it have good environment? Are there international students studying there? What about other facilities? Should i consider UTM or not?
Also will a degree from utm be internationally recognised? Can i get admission for postgraduate at known and good universities abroad after undergraduate at UTM?

azarimy
post Aug 17 2017, 12:20 AM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

Hello there. Where are you from?

UTM has two campuses, the main in Johor is the 2nd biggest university in Malaysia and is practically a small town of its own. We have quite a number of international students, although I would say 80% of them are postgraduates. The population is large enough to have their own cafe, restaurants and grocery store to cater for their needs.

Public unis like UTM are funded by the Malaysian government. It receives considerably hefty sum that's dedicated towards research as compared to the private counterparts. It also drives down the fees, as we do not rely a lot on student fees for income.

All of UTM's degrees are internationally recognized, some more than others. But I recommend looking into specific programmes and check their ranking status rather than generalizing the whole university. For example, UTM's architecture and chemical engineering are ranked top 100 in the world.
TSmohar999
post Aug 17 2017, 01:38 AM

2 posts

I am from Pakistan. And im willing to choose Accounting at UTM. Thanks for your reviews. Also is it easy to get admission at UTM for international students? If i meet the academic requirements will the admission be garunteed?
1depp1
post Aug 17 2017, 10:30 AM

Casual
357 posts

Hey there bro, I may have a suggestion for you.

Depends on what you want to study, I propose MMU (Multimedia University) is the best bet for international students to study. They have Creative Arts, Engineering, Business, and IT courses available.

You would feel right at home as there are Pakistanis and various other nations study there.

Link : https://www.mmu.edu.my/

P/S : Just my humble pie biggrin.gif
azarimy
post Aug 17 2017, 12:33 PM

mister architect: the arrogant pr*ck
Group Icon
Elite
10,668 posts

QUOTE(mohar999 @ Aug 17 2017, 01:38 AM)
I am from Pakistan. And im willing to choose Accounting at UTM. Thanks for your reviews. Also is it easy to get admission at UTM for international students? If i meet the academic requirements will the admission be garunteed?
It's fairly easy to get in if you fulfill all the requirements, but I wont go as far as to say guaranteed.

Just note that Accounting is not one of UTM's forte. We are engineering university. Thats our strength.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0114sec    0.49    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:17 PM