12 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Safety Attire

views

Mikahl
post Aug 21 2017, 04:28 PM

35 posts

QUOTE(lowpro @ Aug 21 2017, 08:02 AM)
What's your take on AAA standard riding boots? Many have said that a pair of AAA 'Alpinestars' costing RM350 is sufficient already...just fishing for thoughts. However, original riding boots are painfully costly. Easily above RM600 for a decent brand unless there are a few I missed...

I know there are brands like IZ2 or Ixiom (something like that if I remember). What about those brands? Ok?

Safety is the key thing but what's the best value product for boots in terms of price vs quality that don't make you look like a full on racer or a cop?

I'm using Komine riding gloves that I bought at Pertama for RM150. So far, after 2 years of casual riding, the gloves are holding up well. A bit of colour fading but that's to be expected. Still nice and comfortable.
I don't know much about riding boots, I find most to be too uncomfortable for daily use. My understanding is the faster or further you ride, the better your boots should be, but I don't ride fast, long nor far, just mainly to and fro my office. Mine are 'Sidi Insiders' - mid-cut casual laced boots with light protection on the toes and ankles, cost me about RM300. I bought a few pairs because I don't like wearing the same shoe everyday but they are darn comfortable, looks like Converse type shoes.

I also have a 'Sidi Streetburner' mid-cut, cost me around RM500+ but rarely use them cos they are a bit stiff. Maybe next time if my bike bigger than my 135cc now, I might just use it. Bought them at Chear Motor Klang.

As for gloves, I don't expect mine to last that long, maybe a year or so if I'm lucky. Coming from my mountain bike days, even the expensive ones last a year most. I am inclined to say that if you like Komine gloves, try Hodaka Motoworld at PJCC, they have many models there and should be as originial as it gets. I've paid RM180 for a Taichi before only to find out later that it was a fake but really good copy (I won't name the bike shop that sold me these).

lowpro
post Aug 21 2017, 04:59 PM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(Mikahl @ Aug 21 2017, 04:28 PM)
I don't know much about riding boots, I find most to be too uncomfortable for daily use. My understanding is the faster or further you ride, the better your boots should be, but I don't ride fast, long nor far, just mainly to and fro my office. Mine are 'Sidi Insiders' - mid-cut casual laced boots with light protection on the toes and ankles, cost me about RM300. I bought a few pairs because I don't like wearing the same shoe everyday but they are darn comfortable, looks like Converse type shoes.

I also have a 'Sidi Streetburner' mid-cut, cost me around RM500+ but rarely use them cos they are a bit stiff. Maybe next time if my bike bigger than my 135cc now, I might just use it. Bought them at Chear Motor Klang.

As for gloves, I don't expect mine to last that long, maybe a year or so if I'm lucky. Coming from my mountain bike days, even the expensive ones last a year most. I am inclined to say that if you like Komine gloves, try Hodaka Motoworld at PJCC, they have many models there and should be as originial as it gets. I've paid RM180 for a Taichi before only to find out later that it was a fake but really good copy (I won't name the bike shop that sold me these).
I have a pair of these. Not sure how suitable they are for riding...not a real riding boot though. Nike Lunar Force 1. Any comments?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Mikahl
post Aug 21 2017, 09:19 PM

35 posts

QUOTE(lowpro @ Aug 21 2017, 04:59 PM)
I have a pair of these. Not sure how suitable they are for riding...not a real riding boot though. Nike Lunar Force 1. Any comments?
The motorcycle boots is supposed to protect your feet in the event of mishaps, and some basic features of a riding boot should address these:
1. Even if you fly off your bike, the shoe shouldn't be able to fly off your feet, so minimal would be a mid-cut strapped up past the ankle.
2. It should protect your toes, so the upper front of the shoe should be harderned, some even have steel plates on them.
3. It should protect your ankles adequately, there is usually a hardened section around the malleolus area (inner and outer) - i.e. padded around the part of your ankle bones that protude slightly.
4. Abrasion resistant all round, preferable not too flexible even around the ball of the feet area (now this is where it gets uncomfortable to walk around with because our feet naturally flex at this point when we walk, but the stiffness is to guard against fractures at the metatarsals if I'm not mistaken.

Your Nike shoe looks a little soft on top, and low at the ankle, so I doubt the protection is adequate if that's what you're asking. Below is the pix of my Sidi shoes, notice the ankle pads.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Mikahl: Aug 21 2017, 09:23 PM
Mikahl
post Aug 21 2017, 09:32 PM

35 posts

And these are my Sidi Streetburners. Mid-cut, a little more technical than the Sidi Insider, but they are supposed to offer better protection. These are stiffer and much less comfortable to walk around with that's why I hardly wear them.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
minde
post Aug 21 2017, 10:24 PM

dreamt a king, woke up still king
2,911 posts

Any straight cut jeans for riding to recommend ? The komine are slimfit, doesn't suit me.
lowpro
post Aug 22 2017, 08:00 AM

Getting Started
139 posts

QUOTE(Mikahl @ Aug 21 2017, 09:19 PM)
The motorcycle boots is supposed to protect your feet in the event of mishaps, and some basic features of a riding boot should address these:
1. Even if you fly off your bike, the shoe shouldn't be able to fly off your feet, so minimal would be a mid-cut strapped up past the ankle.
2. It should protect your toes, so the upper front of the shoe should be harderned, some even have steel plates on them.
3. It should protect your ankles adequately, there is usually a hardened section around the malleolus area (inner and outer) - i.e. padded around the part of your ankle bones that protude slightly.
4. Abrasion resistant all round, preferable not too flexible even around the ball of the feet area (now this is where it gets uncomfortable to walk around with because our feet naturally flex at this point when we walk, but the stiffness is to guard against fractures at the metatarsals if I'm not mistaken.

Your Nike shoe looks a little soft on top, and low at the ankle, so I doubt the protection is adequate if that's what you're asking. Below is the pix of my Sidi shoes, notice the ankle pads.

Attached Image
Thanks for the insights bro! Oklah, will go look for proper riding shoes. Problem is finding comfortable ones as most are rather stiff and not comfortable to walk around. Some are so stiff that it is difficult for me to shift gears. So far I haven't found a pair that is comfortable and priced reasonably
mtalltheway
post Aug 22 2017, 04:46 PM

0 posts

Sorry to hijack a bit, where in KL have the most complete branded riding gear(helmet,jacket,glove,boot,riding pants/jeans) preferable everything under one shop. original branded mean no imitaion (alpinestart,revit,dainese,furygan,komine etc) hate to visit some shop carry certain brand but either no size,color or no stock.

plan to visit KL in the near future as I not familiar on KL and difficult to travel from one place to the otherce end up with no stock etc etc.

hope otai2 can enlighten me.TQ
D'cruise61
post Aug 22 2017, 05:28 PM

0 posts

You can try Sunny Cycle located at Jalan Pahang, Setapak. They carry quite an array of riding accessories.
mtalltheway
post Aug 22 2017, 08:20 PM

0 posts

QUOTE(D'cruise61 @ Aug 22 2017, 05:28 PM)
You can try Sunny Cycle located at Jalan Pahang, Setapak.  They carry quite an array of riding accessories.
TQ bro
mADmAN
post Aug 29 2017, 11:24 PM

10k Club
All Stars
10,515 posts

since theres a topic on this... im wondering if there is any safety gear for kids out there?

looking for my 5yo son....prefer a full face, or flip up (minimum SIRIM approved, not some unbranded or untested or replica shit).. and also jacket and gloves....knee guards if have also ok.

minde
post Sep 1 2017, 09:56 AM

2,911 posts

hey looking for a full face helmet between RM1.5k-RM2k. Any suggestion?

Safety and less wind noise. I'm also wearing glasses, are there any helmets that I can slot in my glasses into?

Don't mind flip up if that's available as well. Seen some people using on tours.
Quazacolt
post Sep 1 2017, 10:42 AM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(minde @ Sep 1 2017, 09:56 AM)
hey looking for a full face helmet between RM1.5k-RM2k. Any suggestion?

Safety and less wind noise.  I'm also wearing glasses, are there any helmets that I can slot in my glasses into?

Don't mind flip up if that's available as well. Seen some people using on tours.
You're we'll into the range of high end shark/Shoei/Arai helmets and possibly their high end racing ones depending on your bargain/deals.

Most importantly, go test fit all of them as their fitting varies and the main thing for helmets is that they have to be tight fit while being comfortable to offer best protection while you're still able to enjoy riding.

For references:
My Arai RX7X can fit my sunglasses just fine however they are of very thin frame so your mileage may vary .
The sunglasses are a pair of Maui Jim sugar beach

This post has been edited by Quazacolt: Sep 1 2017, 10:43 AM
minde
post Sep 1 2017, 05:05 PM

2,911 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Sep 1 2017, 10:42 AM)
You're we'll into the range of high end shark/Shoei/Arai helmets and possibly their high end racing ones depending on your bargain/deals.

Most importantly, go test fit all of them as their fitting varies and the main thing for helmets is that they have to be tight fit while being comfortable to offer best protection while you're still able to enjoy riding.

For references:
My Arai RX7X can fit my sunglasses just fine however they are of very thin frame so your mileage may vary .
I don't mind spending less tbh for a good/average. Considering my budget is on the high side, what's the typical price for a decent helmet?

Any place you would recommend?
minde
post Sep 1 2017, 05:07 PM

2,911 posts

QUOTE(Quazacolt @ Sep 1 2017, 10:42 AM)

For references:
Wasn't sure what's the price of an average helmet. Is RM1k-RM1.5k good enough for a good helmet? Do you have any place to recommend for helmets?

btw do flip up helmets offer similar protection and sound isolation compared to full face helmet when closed?

currently using Kabuto Kamui helmet which I find quite comfortable and fit for purposes.

This post has been edited by minde: Sep 1 2017, 05:21 PM
Quazacolt
post Sep 2 2017, 12:13 AM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(minde @ Sep 1 2017, 05:05 PM)
I don't mind spending less tbh for a good/average. Considering my budget is on the high side, what's the typical price for a decent helmet?

Any place you would recommend?
usually around rm1k would be a good budget for reputable brands.
again, a test fitting would be the best way to really know what fits your head best.

personally id recommend Singapore regina if you do happen to go there.

otherwise if strictly in malaysia, bikeworld klang
https://www.facebook.com/BIKE-WORLD-Klang-S...20115321577744/

or mecinda racing pertama komplex

or DC bikers penang
Quazacolt
post Sep 2 2017, 12:16 AM

Riding couple
5,216 posts

QUOTE(minde @ Sep 1 2017, 05:07 PM)
btw do flip up helmets offer similar protection and sound isolation compared to full face helmet when closed?

currently using Kabuto Kamui helmet which I find quite comfortable and fit for purposes.
definitely no.

or at least the weight department; it is controversial of flip ups/modular having those movement/detachable points being a weak link within the helmet structure.

i mean, you dont see people racing in those helmets, right?

sound isolation/comfort also, you dont see most of the R&D focusing on those right? they tend to be at the top of the line racing or touring helmets (with internal sunvisor etc) then trickle down to the lower ranges.
basilisk
post Sep 2 2017, 05:46 AM

30 posts

QUOTE(minde @ Sep 1 2017, 05:07 PM)

hows the kamui? how long have u been using it? bought where?

i have a round head, it is difficult to get a round internal helmet, cos most helmet

are kinda towards the neutral or oval shape..

and almost all helmet makers never state the shape.

only reviewers like revzilla , webbikeworld estimate the shape of the helmet.

there is alot to consider when choosing a helmet, cos here we are paying alot of $$$
minde
post Sep 2 2017, 09:27 AM

2,911 posts

QUOTE(basilisk @ Sep 2 2017, 05:46 AM)
hows the kamui? how long have u been using it? bought where?

i have a round head, it is difficult to get a round internal helmet, cos most helmet

are kinda towards the neutral or oval shape..

and almost all helmet makers never state the shape.

only reviewers like revzilla , webbikeworld estimate the shape of the helmet.

there is alot to consider when choosing a helmet, cos here we are paying alot of $$$
Personally I think the kamui is fantastic .used it for 2 years, my first helmet...my head is round as well and it fits my head very nicely. No wind buffering when turn the head, comfortable. I have a Givi helmet which isn't as comfortable, not tried other helmet yet so no comparability. There's a promo now for the kamui rm700++. I get it straight from the distributor here. Pm me if u need further details.

They have a slot for glasses which I find particular good . None On the givi.

This post has been edited by minde: Sep 2 2017, 09:28 AM
basilisk
post Sep 2 2017, 04:31 PM

30 posts

QUOTE(minde @ Sep 2 2017, 09:27 AM)
Personally I think the kamui is fantastic
thx for the info bro. biggrin.gif

i was researching helmets n saw this kamui, price also ok.

my round head is 57cm but if i use oval helmet or long oval helmet, i need to go 2-3 size up in order to fit.

57cm normally they put size M, i need XL or XXL, if FF oval M size, tak boleh masuk at all... LOL ... biggrin.gif

summore my face is squarish n big, broad from ear to ear... total nightmare if wear a tight helmet cause by

internal shape not suitable..

for safety n peace of mind, bikers will opt for arai n shoei helmet.. but these 2 are the most expensive brand esp arai,

and also the most boring helmets in the world, ppl said. biggrin.gif

bikers these days mau gaya jugak, will keep a rack full of helmets of diff style and design if possible..

One of the best site that explain about helmets, all the test ece, dot snell sharp...

https://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/

basilisk
post Sep 2 2017, 05:29 PM

30 posts

180 degree flip up helmets.. which one more gaya..

roof desmo n boxer.. almost look the same

user posted image

shark evoline 3

user posted image

shark evo-one

user posted image

airoh rev

user posted image

ls2 valiant

user posted image

12 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to: