Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Enquiries/Recommendations Dell or Alienware better lifespan?, XPS 13" v R4 13"

views

TS99problems
post Aug 13 2017, 11:02 PM, updated 7y ago

Getting Started
126 posts

My budget is 5000 and able to get either XPS 13 (4.5k) or Alienware 13 (5.5k). Two different types of laptops but which has better life? My previous MacBook Pro 13" Mid-2012, even though bought new in 2014, just died after passing its 3 year anniversary. Lol. Logic board burnt for no reason after updatting to macOS Sierra.

So currently I'm being a pessimist in buying a laptop. If Apple best build quality can die in exactly 3 years, what about others?

Anyway for me the XPS 13 keyboard feels nice while the Alienware feels so cheap and mushy. The specs Alienware wins by a ton of course. Not looking to game tho on my laptop, I already have a gaming PC for heavier titles. Maybe just games like Football Manager and Sims, which the XPS can handle pretty well even with its Intel GPU.

So it all comes down to how long it would last. Alienware or Dell has better lifespan?

Would appreciate advice on this. Thanks!

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

This post has been edited by 99problems: Aug 13 2017, 11:07 PM
AthrunIJ
post Aug 13 2017, 11:12 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,924 posts

Want better life span?
Learn to do some basic maintenance on laptop.

Thin laptop with powerful CPU and GPU will easily get overheated. So take care of air vents.
Thicker laptop will have better thermal management than thin laptops but bulkier.

All in all pick the one you prefer since you are going to use it.

By the way, Alienware is also from Dell. Just that it is the enthusiast gaming lineup/model.

This post has been edited by AthrunIJ: Aug 13 2017, 11:13 PM
TS99problems
post Aug 13 2017, 11:33 PM

Getting Started
126 posts

QUOTE(AthrunIJ @ Aug 13 2017, 11:12 PM)
Want better life span?
Learn to do some basic maintenance on laptop.

Thin laptop with powerful CPU and GPU will easily get overheated. So take care of air vents.
Thicker laptop will have better thermal management than thin laptops but bulkier.

All in all pick the one you prefer since you are going to use it.

By the way, Alienware is also from Dell. Just that it is the enthusiast gaming lineup/model.
Yeah, which is what I did with my Mac. Took care of it well to not get overheated. Clean fans every 6 months with canned air. Then suddenly one stupid OS update killed it. This happened to another person I found on Mudah as well, exact same issue. Pretty pissed honestly.

Just saying I know how to take care of a laptop, just dont know how great is a Windows laptop lifespan is, never had one. And ya Alienware is a subsidiary of Dell. Does it have better internals? Better build quality? Better parts? Chance of failing after 2 years (generally)? Thats what i mean.

Thanks
AthrunIJ
post Aug 13 2017, 11:57 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,924 posts

QUOTE(99problems @ Aug 13 2017, 11:33 PM)
Yeah, which is what I did with my Mac. Took care of it well to not get overheated. Clean fans every 6 months with canned air. Then suddenly one stupid OS update killed it. This happened to another person I found on Mudah as well, exact same issue. Pretty pissed honestly.

Just saying I know how to take care of a laptop, just dont know how great is a Windows laptop lifespan is, never had one. And ya Alienware is a subsidiary of Dell. Does it have better internals? Better build quality? Better parts? Chance of failing after 2 years (generally)? Thats what i mean.
Thanks
XPS and Alienware is the premium lineup so build quality is there. You can't go wrong with these models. Dell also do have one of the best customer service so far I have heard.

To give you answer about chance of failure is very hard as it depend on the user and manufacturers quality control.

Most likely your Mac failed because you got unlucky with its internals.

Laptops lifespan doesn't depend on OS (unless you are taking about updates). As long you are taking care of your laptop it will last for as long as you want bar any environment and unforeseen factors.

If you want a very long lasting laptops. Look at models like Thinkpads or Toughbooks and etc.

This post has been edited by AthrunIJ: Aug 14 2017, 12:07 AM
myway1985
post Aug 14 2017, 12:12 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,471 posts

xps 13 last longer than alienware 13... if u no game on it...n i pretty sure tat 1 is DFO... dun ever buy import unit as there r tons of it on market now...

if game wise of coz alienware 13 la
TS99problems
post Aug 14 2017, 01:16 AM

Getting Started
126 posts

QUOTE(AthrunIJ @ Aug 13 2017, 11:57 PM)
XPS and Alienware is the premium lineup so build quality is there. You can't go wrong with these models. Dell also do have one of the best customer service so far I have heard.

To give you answer about chance of failure is very hard as it depend on the user and manufacturers quality control.

Most likely your Mac failed because you got unlucky with its internals.

Laptops lifespan doesn't depend on OS (unless you are taking about updates). As long you are taking care of your laptop it will last for as long as you want bar any environment and unforeseen factors.

If you want a very long lasting laptops. Look at models like Thinkpads or Toughbooks and etc.
Yeah, i believed it was internals too. SOL too since out of warranty. Thanks for the write up. Thinkpads looks great but the display is a bit off for me, my cousin has an E470 i believe and its display is meh. Keyboard is great however. Toughbooks seems too much instead lol sweat.gif

QUOTE(myway1985 @ Aug 14 2017, 12:12 AM)
xps 13 last longer than alienware 13... if u no game on it...n i pretty sure tat 1 is DFO... dun ever buy import unit as there r tons of it on market now...

if game wise of coz alienware 13 la
What is a DFO? Is the online store one an import unit?

Is getting it online (XPS or Alienware) a good idea then? Or is there a better place to get? I dont know much where to get best laptops lol. Thing is if online can get free XPS sleeve, powerbank or usb-hdmi adapter. hmm.gif

Lets say I'll be a moderate user. 5-6 hours a day, streaming Netflix or Plex, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator mostly, with some 1 out of every 10 days, light gaming like Football Manager or Sims 4. Which laptop will be able to hold longer?

Thanks
shirogawawa
post Aug 14 2017, 01:21 AM

Laptop enthusiast
2,383 posts

dell latitude 7480 better
myway1985
post Aug 14 2017, 08:53 AM

10k Club
All Stars
11,471 posts

QUOTE(99problems @ Aug 14 2017, 01:16 AM)
Yeah, i believed it was internals too. SOL too since out of warranty. Thanks for the write up. Thinkpads looks great but the display is a bit off for me, my cousin has an E470 i believe and its display is meh. Keyboard is great however. Toughbooks seems too much instead lol  sweat.gif
What is a DFO? Is the online store one an import unit?

Is getting it online (XPS or Alienware) a good idea then? Or is there a better place to get? I dont know much where to get best laptops lol. Thing is if online can get free XPS sleeve, powerbank or usb-hdmi adapter.  hmm.gif

Lets say I'll be a moderate user. 5-6 hours a day, streaming Netflix or Plex, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator mostly, with some 1 out of every 10 days, light gaming like Football Manager or Sims 4. Which laptop will be able to hold longer?

Thanks
U need as then... ai n illustrator drain processor...aw13 quad core..

Dfo only authorised reseller
DS_Legacy
post Aug 15 2017, 02:50 PM

Photography is Love
1,501 posts

If you do editing more often, I suggest you to go for the Alienware. XPS13 has the auto brightness settings, so sometimes it's hard to get the exposure right at all the time. Both has good quality build. But still, it depends solely on your usage and priorities.

I have housemate who owns 2 AWs (M14x and the new AW15) and a XPS13. He has been using the M14x to run analysis, heavy editing and burnt them for like 4 years+, no problem at all. But I would have to say there's a huge difference in them, especially in term of weight in both of them.

AW has a better cooling system and XPS 13 can come in handy when you travel a lot.

If you just gonna put it in your house as a desktop, just get the AW smile.gif

raymondtong94
post Aug 16 2017, 12:55 AM

Choco-chan daisuki!
11,096 posts

the XPS 13 is much more a light media laptop. Since you do some gaming, I personally won't recommend that.

If you can invest more money on display, go for the AW13 with OLED panel. That display is sick-a-licious and stunning. biggrin.gif
JuliusLimVB
post Aug 17 2017, 01:47 PM

5 posts

Current using AW13R3 with OLED screen, well built laptop with future proof sockets and upgradability
RICADO86
post Aug 24 2017, 10:09 PM

29 posts

I guess Alienware product quality better than Dell , right?
myway1985
post Aug 24 2017, 10:54 PM

10k Club
All Stars
11,471 posts

QUOTE(RICADO86 @ Aug 24 2017, 10:09 PM)
I guess Alienware product quality better than Dell , right?
Alienware under DELL

u wan aw 13 rite

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0129sec    0.16    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:38 AM