Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> Our Renovation Journey, Just for sharing

views

TSjootat
post Aug 15 2017, 01:52 PM

Regular
1,994 posts

QUOTE(faiz293 @ Aug 15 2017, 12:11 PM)
Again, nicely done! My wife has been dreaming for that big mirror.

Forgive me to ask, why do most of the chinese will use the round dining table? In my opinion, the square one suits ur homestyle better. Is it because of the get together CNY eve dinner?
that mirror i would said worth the investment if your wife really like it. In fact, this mirror has been there for the past 10 years. You can see the renovation photos, i have to cover it up as I wanted to re-use the mirror. And it blend in nicely with the new design. what i have to do is just a fresh coat of paint and it look brand new.

Last time, we using long table (7 ft). And we found it not practical at all. As what explained by bigred below, fengshui sometimes is not just fengshui but is more on practicality.

I gave away this long table before our renovation. Feel wasted but it's a practical decision to change to round table as after almost 10 years sitting in the long table, we only use 1 part of the table as it's easier for everyone to take the food. Another part of the table hardly used.

Attached Image

QUOTE(okhui26 @ Aug 15 2017, 12:17 PM)
Hi bro,

Really nice after the reno....
thanks smile.gif

QUOTE(bigred @ Aug 15 2017, 12:31 PM)
Chinese don't like sharp edges.  Believes whoever sit at the corner will face the "sharp" corners (pantang lah) and breaks the flow of harmony.  A round table is continuous and promotes harmony ; no break in the lines. 

Also for practical reasons, round table can sit more people - people just have to sit closer together during family dinners and is also more fun- and doesn't matter if you have odd or even seating. Everyone sitting on the round table faces everyone and the food is within reach by everyone. 

Square table is more restrictive.  You have to have even people siting otherwise one person is "left" out.  Also square or rectangle sitting makes it harder to converse and the dishes can be outside of the reach if one person is seated at the end of the table.

Hence have both beliefs and practical reasoning for round vs square / rectangle size tables.
Thanks for the detail explanation. It's exactly what we thought smile.gif
wkc
post Aug 15 2017, 02:12 PM

Getting Started
190 posts

QUOTE(jootat @ Aug 15 2017, 09:51 AM)
we stayed there for almost 10 years. then we decided to renovate the house to suit our taste and needs. are you also planning to renovate your house? we temporary moved to my uncle condo and stay there for few months. coz it's difficult to get short term rental.
You mean the skylight at the car porch? i bought it from De Skylight Roofing Sdn. Bhd. Singed up their package during home expo.

https://www.facebook.com/deskylight/
And you may look for Ken - 012 606 6707
Ya..my current house also almost 6 -7 years already. That time no reno yet no budget to do.
Now thinking of reno must get a place for few month first.
TSjootat
post Aug 15 2017, 02:17 PM

Regular
1,994 posts

QUOTE(wkc @ Aug 15 2017, 02:12 PM)
Ya..my current house also almost 6 -7 years already. That time no reno yet no budget to do.
Now thinking of reno must get a place for few month first.
I see. Enjoy your renovation journey smile.gif

I think it's difficult to get a short term rental but with the current rental market, may be u might be able to get it by offer may be a bit extra to the owner or you can even try to pay 6 months rental all in advanced to the owner for that 6 months stays. May be this will attract the owner to rent the house to you for short term basis. This is also one of our challenge before the renovation and luckily my uncle unit tenant moved out and we can move there temporary. and even more lucky is the condo is just behind our house where i can still visit the construction site very often.
xiaohui_214
post Aug 16 2017, 06:01 PM

Getting Started
143 posts

QUOTE(jootat @ Aug 15 2017, 09:51 AM)
we stayed there for almost 10 years. then we decided to renovate the house to suit our taste and needs. are you also planning to renovate your house? we temporary moved to my uncle condo and stay there for few months. coz it's difficult to get short term rental.
You mean the skylight at the car porch? i bought it from De Skylight Roofing Sdn. Bhd. Singed up their package during home expo.

https://www.facebook.com/deskylight/
And you may look for Ken - 012 606 6707
how much u get per square feet?
TSjootat
post Aug 17 2017, 09:43 AM

Regular
1,994 posts

QUOTE(xiaohui_214 @ Aug 16 2017, 06:01 PM)
how much u get per square feet?
Rm45/sf. Just be careful when you are comparing the price. I think some may quote you cheaper but just double check what kind of material they are using. For a larger size, i prefer using the T-Beam + translucent laminated glass so that it will block away some dirts and also not so hot. And it's actually 2 pieces of 6mm glass glued together so it's 12mm in total.
xiaohui_214
post Aug 17 2017, 01:42 PM

Getting Started
143 posts

QUOTE(jootat @ Aug 17 2017, 09:43 AM)
Rm45/sf. Just be careful when you are comparing the price. I think some may quote you cheaper but just double check what kind of material they are using. For a larger size, i prefer using the T-Beam + translucent laminated glass so that it will block away some dirts and also not so hot. And it's actually 2 pieces of 6mm glass glued together so it's 12mm in total.
i got quoatation from de skylight too..when u book at fair? i book i think april, but it quote me expensive than u..do u request galvanized steel?
TSjootat
post Aug 17 2017, 02:19 PM

Regular
1,994 posts

QUOTE(xiaohui_214 @ Aug 17 2017, 01:42 PM)
i got quoatation from de skylight too..when u book at fair? i book i think april, but it quote me expensive than u..do u request galvanized steel?
Last year some time in Oct if not mistaken. I not sure if it's galvanized or not but it's powder coated.
Did you call the contact I shared with you? See if he can gave you that price or not.
xiaohui_214
post Aug 17 2017, 05:13 PM

Getting Started
143 posts

QUOTE(jootat @ Aug 17 2017, 02:19 PM)
Last year some time in Oct if not mistaken. I not sure if it's galvanized or not but it's powder coated.
Did you call the contact I shared with you? See if he can gave you that price or not.
yup, i call the contact u give me.. get better quotation compare current..powder coated but kena air steel will rush?
TSjootat
post Aug 18 2017, 10:26 AM

Regular
1,994 posts

QUOTE(xiaohui_214 @ Aug 17 2017, 05:13 PM)
yup, i call the contact u give me.. get better quotation compare current..powder coated but kena air steel will rush?
Great. I hope he can give you better quotation.
I not too sure as I have never consider about this part. I thought powder coat usually can last a while but don expect the rust issue will go away unless we use stainless steel? Coz even they powder coat it, they still need to do some welding and etc during the installation.
NewbieHero
post Aug 18 2017, 10:46 AM

Getting Started
197 posts

Hello bro, may i know how much does this cost you in total?
bigred
post Aug 18 2017, 10:52 AM

Getting Started
209 posts

QUOTE(jootat @ Aug 18 2017, 10:26 AM)
I not too sure as I have never consider about this part. I thought powder coat usually can last a while but don expect the rust issue will go away unless we use stainless steel? Coz even they powder coat it, they still need to do some welding and etc during the installation.
Powder coat will prevent rust if the metal used is not rust-resistant (e.g. mild steel). It quite hard to scratch the powder coating surface off, unless you start hacking or sawing the metal. Powder coating metals are usually cheaper vs aluminium or galvanised steel.
TSjootat
post Aug 18 2017, 11:41 AM

Regular
1,994 posts

QUOTE(NewbieHero @ Aug 18 2017, 10:46 AM)
Hello bro, may i know how much does this cost you in total?
let's keep that as a magic questions smile.gif pls feel free to ask itemized quotation but not the total cost smile.gif

QUOTE(bigred @ Aug 18 2017, 10:52 AM)
Powder coat will prevent rust if the metal used is not rust-resistant (e.g. mild steel).  It quite hard to scratch the powder coating surface off, unless you start hacking or sawing the metal.  Powder coating metals are usually cheaper vs aluminium or galvanised steel.
yes, totally agree. If not mistaken, mine was mild steel only and not those galvanized steel. but this is the part that i have not put into consideration when i ask for quotation.
bigred
post Aug 18 2017, 12:06 PM

Getting Started
209 posts

QUOTE(jootat @ Aug 18 2017, 11:41 AM)
let's keep that as a magic questions smile.gif pls feel free to ask itemized quotation but not the total cost smile.gif
yes, totally agree. If not mistaken, mine was mild steel only and not those galvanized steel. but this is the part that i have not put into consideration when i ask for quotation.
As long as the metal is not continuous exposed to water or very damp areas, powder coating is more than enough. Suitable to be used in wardrobes, dining, living room furniture, shaded patio areas.

TSjootat
post Aug 18 2017, 01:14 PM

Regular
1,994 posts

QUOTE(bigred @ Aug 18 2017, 12:06 PM)
As long as the metal is not continuous exposed to water or very damp areas, powder coating is more than enough.  Suitable to be used in wardrobes, dining, living room furniture, shaded patio areas.
I see. Ok bro. but now i m having the rust issue at my grille near the wet kitchen sink. regret i did not ask the contractor to make it powder coated. wanted to save some cost so i did not use powder coat for all the grille. only certain part of the house i choose powder coat and the rest is just spray matte sad.gif
bigred
post Aug 18 2017, 01:43 PM

Getting Started
209 posts

If minor rust still ok.

1. Use WD40, spray and clean the area of rust (need some elbow work)

2. Once the the rust, dirt and grime is cleaned, just repaint the grille (make sure get paint for metal works).

As long as there is a layer between your metal works and the air, rust shouldn't appear. Grilles usually are not powder coated, too expensive to do so. It's usually just painted on.
TSjootat
post Aug 18 2017, 02:08 PM

Regular
1,994 posts

QUOTE(bigred @ Aug 18 2017, 01:43 PM)
If minor rust  still ok. 

1.  Use WD40, spray and clean the area of rust (need some elbow work)

2.  Once the the rust, dirt and grime is cleaned, just repaint the grille (make sure get paint for metal works).

As long as there is a layer between your metal works and the air, rust shouldn't appear.  Grilles usually are not powder coated, too expensive to do so.  It's usually just painted on.
ok bro ... thanks for the tips. I will do it this weekend.
jagjag
post Aug 18 2017, 03:59 PM

On my way
511 posts

QUOTE(jootat @ Aug 18 2017, 11:41 AM)
Anyway, how long your t-beam cantilever out..look very long.at least 5-6 feet ...
xiaohui_214
post Aug 18 2017, 11:31 PM

Getting Started
143 posts

QUOTE(jootat @ Aug 18 2017, 10:26 AM)
i thought of galvanized as they said wont rust after galvanize, is it true? hmm.gif
kirakun
post Aug 19 2017, 10:10 AM

On my way
656 posts

QUOTE(xiaohui_214 @ Aug 18 2017, 11:31 PM)
i thought of galvanized as they said wont rust after galvanize, is it true? hmm.gif
Galvanised iron is definitely resistant to rust and may not rust at all if the galvanised layer is in place. Normally rust occur when there are chipping or scratches that peel off part or whole layer of galvanised iron. Continuous exposure to weather or bird poo will also wear off the galvanised layer in time.
TSjootat
post Aug 21 2017, 09:53 AM

Regular
1,994 posts

QUOTE(jagjag @ Aug 18 2017, 03:59 PM)
Anyway, how long your t-beam cantilever out..look very long.at least 5-6 feet ...
Hi, it's 24' x 10'. I do not want the supporting columns and also the 2 metal hanging from the top, so we can't really stretch more than 10'
Attached Image

QUOTE(xiaohui_214 @ Aug 18 2017, 11:31 PM)
I not sure, i have a small cage that i put it outdoor for my gas tank. According to the contractor, it's galvanized iron but the top cover part started to rust. It's exposed and the top part will takung some water when it rain. But I would advice you guys to contact some other contractor for the grille if you wanted coz the one my contractor is using not so good. I have another contact which is better.

7 Pages < 1 2 3 4 5 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0239sec    0.24    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:36 PM