Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Web Development, What languages to learn?

views

TSredjaxx
post Aug 7 2017, 08:56 AM, updated 7y ago

23 posts

Hello friends. I need some help regarding approaching web development career. That's including web development and web design. What languages should I learn in order to take advantages over web developers in Malaysia? The languages that I have learned is HTML5, CSS3 and PHP. I need to some other languages that is not too hard to learn. I have a Diploma of Computer Engineering and a DKM of Computer Engineering (Diploma Kemahiran Malaysia). Should I pursue a Degree? What university offers the best web developing course? Also, at a reasonable price. I do make websites casually but still sometimes tends to forget the syntax. How do I remember all the syntax? I do need your opinions on web development. any tips would be great. Sorry for the broken english. Still improving a little bit. Thank you for you help and opinions.
SWsolutions
post Aug 7 2017, 04:24 PM

Getting Started
76 posts

Python
island
post Aug 7 2017, 05:38 PM

Regular
1,731 posts

QUOTE(SWsolutions @ Aug 7 2017, 04:24 PM)
A very old language, a resurrection.
jimanji
post Aug 8 2017, 12:33 AM

21 posts

Start with javascript fundamentals and then just dive into their frameworks, angular js, node js, express.. I self learn these technologies and have no IT related degree, went interview 2 times already since I started job hunting 2 weeks ago.

Most startup company don't even care about your degree, I'd suggest you to just enroll into some cheap online course at udemy... i personally learned a lot from here biggrin.gif

For me, don't bother too much about all the syntax, just understand the concept and the building blocks of the framework.
island
post Aug 8 2017, 06:13 AM

Regular
1,731 posts

QUOTE(jimanji @ Aug 8 2017, 12:33 AM)
Start with javascript fundamentals and then just dive into their frameworks, angular js, node js, express.. I self learn these technologies and have no IT related degree, went interview 2 times already since I started job hunting 2 weeks ago.

Most startup company don't even care about your degree, I'd suggest you to just enroll into some cheap online course at udemy... i personally learned a lot from here biggrin.gif

For me, don't bother too much about all the syntax, just understand the concept and the building blocks of the framework.
Really? Maybe time is different now. Around year 200x, all positions required to have a master degree doctor whatsoever, last time I look for asp.net position when .net still on version 1 beta. F***. Now, hell known. Now Windows store apps Developer like fish out of water, really no people look for it....
island
post Aug 8 2017, 06:14 AM

Regular
1,731 posts

Learning never stopped. Always have so many new things. Lucky I'm remain single.
TheMrBinary
post Aug 8 2017, 09:14 AM

63 72 69 70 70 6c 69 6e 67 20 64 65 70 72 65 73 73 69 6f 6e
2,446 posts

Javascript
donald88
post Aug 8 2017, 09:31 AM

Casual
357 posts

Frameworks are all the rage now but native languages are still king. However IMHO, you should start with Java/JavaScript as it seems to be the building block of many frameworks. Syntax should not be a problem as you will unknowingly get a strong grasp on it just by looking at codes on a daily basis
TSredjaxx
post Aug 8 2017, 10:05 AM

23 posts

QUOTE(island @ Aug 7 2017, 05:38 PM)
yeah, a bit harder to learn
TSredjaxx
post Aug 8 2017, 10:07 AM

23 posts

QUOTE(donald88 @ Aug 8 2017, 09:31 AM)
Frameworks are all the rage now but native languages are still king. However IMHO, you should start with Java/JavaScript as it seems to be the building block of many frameworks. Syntax should not be a problem as you will unknowingly get a strong grasp on it just by looking at codes on a daily basis
i'm impressed by someone who develops framework by himself. seriously i wanna like him.
yeah, will start to learn Javascript biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
donald88
post Aug 8 2017, 10:14 AM

Casual
357 posts

QUOTE(redjaxx @ Aug 8 2017, 10:07 AM)
i'm impressed by someone who develops framework by himself. seriously i wanna like him.
yeah, will start to learn Javascript  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif
I don't think you will really get to work alone in a company. Layout and flow will mostly be discussed in a team of with your supervisor
TSredjaxx
post Aug 8 2017, 10:23 AM

23 posts

QUOTE(jimanji @ Aug 8 2017, 12:33 AM)

so, where to start learning javascript? can i learn from these book? HTML & CSS, JAVASCRIPT & JQUERY by Jon Duckett.
I really wanna learn the framework and learn to build one. but, i'm not sure where to start learning frameworks. Is there any book about frameworks?
TSredjaxx
post Aug 8 2017, 10:24 AM

23 posts

QUOTE(donald88 @ Aug 8 2017, 10:14 AM)
I don't think you will really get to work alone in a company. Layout and flow will mostly be discussed in a team of with your supervisor
yeah of course but some small company, just have 1 dev that do all works.
jimanji
post Aug 9 2017, 12:35 PM

21 posts

QUOTE(redjaxx @ Aug 8 2017, 10:23 AM)
so, where to start learning javascript? can i learn from these book? HTML & CSS, JAVASCRIPT & JQUERY by Jon Duckett.
I really wanna learn the framework and learn to build one. but, i'm not sure where to start learning frameworks. Is there any book about frameworks?
watch videos and code along... they will teach you how to setup the environment. As I said there are plenty of good courses at udemy.. go check it out and do some research
TSredjaxx
post Aug 9 2017, 01:39 PM

23 posts

QUOTE(jimanji @ Aug 9 2017, 12:35 PM)
watch videos and code along... they will teach you how to setup the environment. As I said there are plenty of good courses at udemy.. go check it out and do some research
okay bro thanks
malleus
post Aug 10 2017, 01:37 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

QUOTE(island @ Aug 7 2017, 05:38 PM)
Its not exactly that old compared to the other languages commonly used on the web these days. Perhaps by a few years only. 1995 seems to be a magical year, where Php, Ruby, Java, Javascript, etc all saw their first versions. Python was only a bit older, having its first version released in 1991.

The difference is in the availability of the web frameworks in use. In fact, the Django framework (python) was released in the same year as Ruby on Rails. Attempting to use these languages without an available framework for an existing project is pretty much asking for trouble, unless you are definitely sure that you need to rewrite your own framework stack.

donald88
post Aug 10 2017, 05:05 PM

Casual
357 posts

Here are your choices depending on your specialization area

This post has been edited by donald88: Aug 10 2017, 05:06 PM
TSredjaxx
post Aug 11 2017, 08:41 AM

23 posts

QUOTE(donald88 @ Aug 10 2017, 05:05 PM)
Here are your choices depending on your specialization area

thumbup.gif thumbup.gif thumbup.gif
FinFin
post Aug 23 2017, 07:37 PM

Casual
325 posts

Go for degree only if you want to dive into how computers work fundamentally.
If you already have your mind set on Web Development, and just want to get started on *practical skills* instead of just bunch of computer theories, you can opt for web development bootcamps.

They are usually a 2~3 months full time course that teach you everything you need to know to become a fullstack web developer. I believe the best one in Malaysia is NEXT Academy.
TSredjaxx
post Aug 24 2017, 01:15 PM

23 posts

QUOTE(FinFin @ Aug 23 2017, 07:37 PM)
Go for degree only if you want to dive into how computers work fundamentally.
If you already have your mind set on Web Development, and just want to get started on *practical skills* instead of just bunch of computer theories, you can opt for web development bootcamps.

They are usually a 2~3 months full time course that teach you everything you need to know to become a fullstack web developer. I believe the best one in Malaysia is NEXT Academy.
Thanks. I will try to look Next Academy.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0175sec    1.04    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:37 AM