No [ 47 ] ** [82.46%]
Total Votes: 57
Guests cannot vote 
views

TStongkualongan
post Aug 3 2017, 02:31 PM, updated 7y ago

23 posts

Dear All,

I currently run a tour business to get International guests to travel to Malaysia,

Among our potential guests, some will inquire about renting a car instead.

So I am toying the idea now of using sharing economy concept to rent out private owned cars to tourists , ( like Uber but to rent out cars )

Of course , the challenge i foresee are the insurance (car theft ) , wear and tear etc

To resolve this, I am thinking :

1) Day insurance that covers accidents/theft that car owners can buy
2) Device that Tracks the car location, acceleration/deceleration to ascertain wear and tear and potential theft
3) build a community of respect (like airbnb) between car owners and car renters , to instill trust and respect

Will you rent out your cars if the above are executed properly?

let's say you can get 100 - 300 myr a day depending on car model.

Appreciate your input.

Longan.
lsm1991
post Aug 3 2017, 02:56 PM

Getting Started
297 posts

no..... just no.....

have you seen how they trreat rented cars?? they slam doors, ding doors, use their feet to push doors open... hell no....

-to be practical these wont cover cosmetic damages.....
2)Device that Tracks the car location, acceleration/deceleration to ascertain wear and tear and potential theft
-how would one calculate wear?? heuristcally speaking it can be difficult to calculate
-there are many of these systems in place, but any self respecting thief would know how to disable them.

TStongkualongan
post Aug 3 2017, 03:13 PM

23 posts

QUOTE(lsm1991 @ Aug 3 2017, 12:56 AM)
no..... just no.....

have you seen how they trreat rented cars?? they slam doors, ding doors, use their feet to push doors open... hell no....

2)Device that Tracks the car location, acceleration/deceleration to ascertain wear and tear and potential theft
-how would one calculate wear?? heuristcally speaking it can be difficult to calculate
-there are many of these systems in place, but any self respecting thief would know how to disable them.
Thanks for your honest feedback , what if now , only restrict to passport with foreign driving license. Do you think it will reduce % rate of car theft?
lsm1991
post Aug 3 2017, 03:24 PM

Getting Started
297 posts

QUOTE(tongkualongan @ Aug 3 2017, 03:13 PM)
Thanks for your honest feedback , what if now , only restrict to passport with foreign driving license. Do you think it will reduce % rate of car theft?
it might, but in the long run i guess they will start using foreigners to do the same things.... not sure if one can verify if a passport is real or not.

still not sure how the day insurance would work, or what it covers.... i think that might be one of the difficulties in this venture

This post has been edited by lsm1991: Aug 3 2017, 03:26 PM
xemoboyx
post Aug 3 2017, 03:25 PM

Getting Started
109 posts

https://turo.com/rentals
aquilaTE
post Aug 3 2017, 03:27 PM

Casual
481 posts

QUOTE(tongkualongan @ Aug 3 2017, 03:13 PM)
Maybe but one other problem you have to face is if the person commit a traffic offence and leaves the country, you are left with their summons.
TStongkualongan
post Aug 3 2017, 03:29 PM

23 posts

QUOTE(lsm1991 @ Aug 3 2017, 01:24 AM)
it might, but in the long run i guess they will start using foreigners to do the same things.... not sure if one can verify if a passport is real or not.

still not sure how the day insurance would work, or what it covers.... i think that might be one of the difficulties in this venture
thanks again ,just food for thought,

if we were to rewind 5 years back , would you sit in a car with a stranger ? and you trust the stranger to fetch you to your destination ? smile.gif

Longan

TheMrBinary
post Aug 3 2017, 03:31 PM

63 72 69 70 70 6c 69 6e 67 20 64 65 70 72 65 73 73 69 6f 6e
2,446 posts

Rental van much better than car if for tourist.
TStongkualongan
post Aug 3 2017, 03:34 PM

23 posts

QUOTE(xemoboyx @ Aug 3 2017, 01:25 AM)
great reference, thanks! so it is a working business model at least.
TStongkualongan
post Aug 3 2017, 03:35 PM

23 posts

QUOTE(aquilaTE @ Aug 3 2017, 01:27 AM)
Maybe but one other problem you have to face is if the person commit a traffic offence and leaves the country, you are left with their summons.
oh yeah, good note.. , havent thought of that part yet, thanks for that note.
TStongkualongan
post Aug 3 2017, 03:36 PM

23 posts

QUOTE(TheMrBinary @ Aug 3 2017, 01:31 AM)
Rental van much better than car if for tourist.
yeah , that make sense also, normally they come in larger groups.
xemoboyx
post Aug 3 2017, 03:38 PM

Getting Started
109 posts

QUOTE(lsm1991 @ Aug 3 2017, 02:56 PM)
no..... just no.....

Meh.. i wouldn't mind renting my mum's old 2003 corolla for Rm200 a day.. whistling.gif
lsm1991
post Aug 3 2017, 03:49 PM

Getting Started
297 posts

QUOTE(tongkualongan @ Aug 3 2017, 03:29 PM)
thanks again ,just food for thought,

if we were to rewind 5 years back , would you sit in a car with a stranger ? and you trust the stranger to fetch you to your destination ? smile.gif

Longan
hmmm.... i actually dont know....
hmm.gif 5 years ago, probably not i guess.

QUOTE(xemoboyx @ Aug 3 2017, 03:38 PM)
Meh.. i wouldn't mind renting my mum's old 2003 corolla for Rm200 a day..  whistling.gif
well if its the market/grocer's car tongue.gif and you dont really care too much... i guess yeah...
6UE5T
post Aug 3 2017, 04:23 PM

Regular
1,704 posts

QUOTE(tongkualongan @ Aug 3 2017, 02:31 PM)
Dear All,

I currently run a tour business to get International guests to travel to Malaysia,

Among our potential guests, some will inquire about renting a car instead.
So I am toying the idea now of using sharing economy concept to rent out private owned cars to tourists , ( like Uber but to rent out cars )

Of course , the challenge i foresee are the insurance (car theft ) , wear and tear etc

To resolve this, I am thinking :

2) Device that Tracks the car location, acceleration/deceleration to ascertain wear and tear and potential theft
3) build a community of respect (like airbnb) between car owners and car renters  , to instill trust and respect

Will you rent out your cars if the above are executed properly?

let's say you can get 100 - 300 myr a day depending on car model.
Appreciate your input.

Longan.
No I won't coz I don't have spare cars to rent out! If I have, then I might but probably also some junk/cheap car so if anything happened to it, it doesn't really matter.
lsm1991
post Aug 3 2017, 06:38 PM

Getting Started
297 posts

btw... any liability issues if the car is caught speeding or worse, used in a hit and run??
Ginny88
post Aug 3 2017, 07:35 PM

Regular
1,032 posts

If you rent from a regular car rental company you have to pay a deposit like RM500 which will be refunded to you 1 week after you return the car if there is no saman. This may be a problem for tourists who aren't going to hang around for a week.

I suppose for minor scrapes, dents and dings they can be charged to the driver when he returns the car. There will be a pre and post inspection.

One reason why this idea may not take off is that few Malaysians have a spare car for rent. If at all they own a spare car it is probably a very old bone shaker which is not worth selling.

Icehart
post Aug 3 2017, 07:45 PM

All Stars
14,304 posts

What's the differentiation when a tourist rent from you and from a car rental company? Cheaper? Better?
TStongkualongan
post Aug 3 2017, 10:53 PM

23 posts

QUOTE(xemoboyx @ Aug 3 2017, 01:38 AM)
Meh.. i wouldn't mind renting my mum's old 2003 corolla for Rm200 a day..  whistling.gif
biggrin.gif bangwall.gif haha
TStongkualongan
post Aug 3 2017, 10:54 PM

23 posts

QUOTE(6UE5T @ Aug 3 2017, 02:23 AM)
No I won't coz I don't have spare cars to rent out! If I have, then I might but probably also some junk/cheap car so if anything happened to it, it doesn't really matter.
ok gotcha.
TStongkualongan
post Aug 3 2017, 10:56 PM

23 posts

QUOTE(Ginny88 @ Aug 3 2017, 05:35 AM)
If you rent from a regular car rental company you have to pay a deposit like RM500 which will be refunded to you 1 week after you return the car if there is no saman. This may be a problem for tourists who aren't going to hang around for a week.

I suppose for minor scrapes, dents and dings they can be charged to the driver when he returns the car. There will be a pre and post inspection.

One reason why this idea may not take off is that few Malaysians have a spare car for rent. If at all they own a spare car it is probably a very old bone shaker which is not worth selling.
I guess can create an app that holds/charges the tourist credit card and release a week / mth later etc.

I always thought family have two cars average , one husband , one wives, cause both goes to work diff location, and on weekends, there will be spare cars. anyway , interesting to know smile.gif

3 Pages  1 2 3 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0413sec    0.22    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:13 AM