Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Tech Support Problem with D-Link DIR-850L

views

TSDeniece611
post Jul 26 2017, 05:44 PM, updated 7y ago

48 posts

Hi all, need help on something regarding my new router, replaced by TM.

Router: D-Link DIR-850L
Subscribed plan: Unifi 50mbps Download and 20mbps upload

Previously I am using TP Link TL-WR841HP, it was running smooth and give me no problem. But recently I have called TM to change the router to dual band one as stated as my connected devices are getting more and the connection is getting slower.

So after the installation I have 2 problems,
1. The wifi connection keep on disconnected (at least a few times a day) and I have to turn off and on the modem to get it connected again.
2. The wifi connection speed is half of what I subscribed (<30mbps) on certain devices for example my PC (even with dual-band wifi card & on 5GHz band), laptops and mobile phones (Galaxy S8, OnePlus 3, Galaxy Note 5, S7 Edge on both 2.4/5GHz) are able to get the full speed.

Problem number 2 never happened when I used my old router, I am able to get full speed on 2.4GHz band.

Sorry if I used the terms wrongly as I am not good with network stuff.
guyguy
post Jul 26 2017, 06:02 PM

Getting Started
68 posts

QUOTE(Deniece611 @ Jul 26 2017, 05:44 PM)

Previously I am using TP Link TL-WR841HP, it was running smooth and give me no problem. But recently I have called TM to change the router to dual band one as stated as my connected devices are getting more and the connection is getting slower.

1. The wifi connection keep on disconnected (at least a few times a day) and I have to turn off and on the modem to get it connected again.
2. The wifi connection speed is half of what I subscribed (<30mbps) on certain devices for example my PC (even with dual-band wifi card & on 5GHz band), laptops and mobile phones (Galaxy S8, OnePlus 3, Galaxy Note 5, S7 Edge on both 2.4/5GHz) are able to get the full speed.

Problem number 2 never happened when I used my old router, I am able to get full speed on 2.4GHz band.

try to change the wifi channel. keep on changing until u get decent speed. you can also consider trying out tm wifi optimizer.
faizyunus
post Jul 26 2017, 06:42 PM

Casual
399 posts

Since you mentioned dual-band, I would recommend giving a different name for the SSID for both 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz so that you can force the device to stay on the faster 5Ghz(If your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSID are the same, there is a high chance devices will connect to 2.4Ghz band by default). As for the disconnection issue, first try see if got firmware update. Next would be to adjust the WiFi channel to a less congested channel. Finally, would be to lower the channel bandwidth.

Recommended Channel Width for 2.4Ghz: 20Mhz
Recommended Channel Width for 5Ghz : 20/40/80Mhz or Auto (Once you selected a 5Ghz channel that is not congested)

TSDeniece611
post Jul 26 2017, 11:27 PM

48 posts

QUOTE(guyguy @ Jul 26 2017, 06:02 PM)
try to change the wifi channel. keep on changing until u get decent speed. you can also consider trying out tm wifi optimizer.
Hi, thank you very much for the reply. I tried your method, and it WORKS! Thank you so much. It doesn't reach the maximum speed but its around 45mbps/15mbps now which for me is way better than before. So, my second problem solved!

QUOTE(faizyunus @ Jul 26 2017, 06:42 PM)
Since you mentioned dual-band, I would recommend giving a different name for the SSID for both 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz so that you can force the device to stay on the faster 5Ghz(If your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSID are the same, there is a high chance devices will connect to 2.4Ghz band by default). As for the disconnection issue, first try see if got firmware update. Next would be to adjust the WiFi channel to a less congested channel. Finally, would be to lower the channel bandwidth.

Recommended Channel Width for 2.4Ghz: 20Mhz
Recommended Channel Width for 5Ghz : 20/40/80Mhz or Auto (Once you selected a 5Ghz channel that is not congested)
Yes, I do have different SSID name for both bands. (My mistake in my statement, 2.4GHz is always half the speed of what i subscribed on all devices, but now that I have changed the channel, it can get up to 45mbps).
I have tried to change the channel width, the disconnection issue still persist, and there is no firmware update for the router yet, so I should wait then.
Thank you so much for the help and information btw, really appreciate it.
VeeJay
post Jul 26 2017, 11:36 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,763 posts

On top of what others had suggested, you could download the tool called Wifi Analyzer on your mobile.

It pretty much helps to determine, which channel is least congested
SUSg104
post Jul 26 2017, 11:38 PM

On my way
657 posts

Please kindly upgrade the latest firmware.
TSDeniece611
post Jul 27 2017, 12:00 AM

48 posts

QUOTE(VeeJay @ Jul 26 2017, 11:36 PM)
On top of what others had suggested, you could download the tool called Wifi Analyzer on your mobile.

It pretty much helps to determine, which channel is least congested
Yea, I am using the exact same app to check the wifi channel. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(g104 @ Jul 26 2017, 11:38 PM)
Please kindly upgrade the latest firmware.
I have checked, no new firmware for now. The firmware available on their website is even older than what I have now on my router LOL.

jio
post Jul 27 2017, 12:10 AM

Casual
368 posts

Can you please rephrase #2. Are you saying your pc can't get full speed but laptops & mobile phones can? Or all of it? If it's only your pc, how far & layers of wall in between from the router? DIR-850L is known to have notably weak transmit power & receive sensitivity. You may have to entend your wireless coverage with additional access point (or range extender) with either ethernet, powerline or 5GHz ac wifi as the backhaul. Do not use 2.4GHz as the backhaul. Unless you have to download frequently from the affected device, don't get so hung up on using the entire bandwidth from a single device over wifi.
birain
post Jul 27 2017, 02:38 AM

良い一日を
1,448 posts

my old streamyx and new unifi lite is also having similar symptom, will randomly get new IP although the modem is stay login. rclxub.gif
birain
post Jul 27 2017, 02:40 AM

良い一日を
1,448 posts

QUOTE(Deniece611 @ Jul 27 2017, 12:00 AM)
Yea, I am using the exact same app to check the wifi channel. biggrin.gif
I have checked, no new firmware for now. The firmware available on their website is even older than what I have now on my router LOL.
this is the latest
CODE

Model Name: DIR-850L  Hardware Version: B1  Firmware Version: 2.08TM

birain
post Jul 27 2017, 04:41 AM

良い一日を
1,448 posts

do stay or place your hardware close to the router, the further you go, the lesser speed you will get....i place it in the middle of the house to get strong speed. maybe you can change to a stronger router that can penetrate walls.
TSDeniece611
post Jul 27 2017, 09:34 AM

48 posts

QUOTE(jio @ Jul 27 2017, 12:10 AM)
Can you please rephrase #2. Are you saying your pc can't get full speed but laptops & mobile phones can? Or all of it? If it's only your pc, how far & layers of wall in between from the router? DIR-850L is known to have notably weak transmit power & receive sensitivity. You may have to entend your wireless coverage with additional access point (or range extender) with either ethernet, powerline or 5GHz ac wifi as the backhaul. Do not use 2.4GHz as the backhaul. Unless you have to download frequently from the affected device, don't get so hung up on using the entire bandwidth from a single device over wifi.
On 2.4GHz band, all my devices are getting half of the speed of what i subscribed (<30mbps), On 5GHz I am getting full speed, I have wrongly wrote my statement in my original post. But now that I have changed the channel to a less congested one, I can almost get the full speed, so no more problem.
FYI my router is located at my living room, same to all the devices that I used for the test, its all in the same area without anything blocking the devices and the router.

I do have range extender (only for 2.4GHz band) but I left it at upstairs, which thats the area where less devices/people are around since it is just bedrooms, but I don't understand what do you mean by backhaul here...

QUOTE(birain @ Jul 27 2017, 02:40 AM)
this is the latest
CODE

Model Name: DIR-850L  Hardware Version: B1  Firmware Version: 2.08TM

Yes, I already check, I have this version of firmware.

QUOTE(birain @ Jul 27 2017, 04:41 AM)
do stay or place your hardware close to the router, the further you go, the lesser speed you will get....i place it in the middle of the house to get strong speed. maybe you can change to a stronger router that can penetrate walls.
My devices and router all located at my living room, the signal is showing full bars, so I don't think so is the distance problem, and has been sort out by changing to a less congested channel. If let say I want to change the router, do you have any suggestion on that, I seldom see dual band router with very good transmission, unless it a RM1-2K router shocking.gif .

Zaryl
post Jul 27 2017, 09:58 AM

Hardcore Casual Gamer
1,523 posts

you mentioned ONLY your PC is having slow internet when using WiFi right?

May i know what kind of PC and what kind of wifi network adapter your PC is using?

If it is a Dell Wireless-N 1704 802.11bgn, 1x1, 2.4GHz + Bluetooth 4.0 adapter, then you need to do some tweaking in the adapter's setting.
Try setting to the following:

2G bandwidth capability: set to 2.4G: 20/40 (default was 20 only)
Bandwidth capability: set to 11b/g: 20/40 (default as 20 only)
Antenna: set to Aux (default was auto)
Roaming tendency: set to Aggresive (default was auto)

I did this and my Dell XPS 8700 PC speedtest can get 28-30Mbps dl 9.8 mbps ul (i am on unifi advance 30mbps plan). before this was only 3mbps dl 2mbps ul! rclxub.gif doh.gif

My ASUS zenbook laptop don't have this problem though as it is using ​Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7265 so no tweaking is required.

Dell wireless adapter have some issues on the connectivity as what i read on various forums.

This post has been edited by Zaryl: Jul 27 2017, 09:58 AM
TSDeniece611
post Jul 27 2017, 10:46 AM

48 posts

QUOTE(Zaryl @ Jul 27 2017, 09:58 AM)
you mentioned ONLY your PC is having slow internet when using WiFi right?

May i know what kind of PC and what kind of wifi network adapter your PC is using?

If it is a Dell Wireless-N 1704 802.11bgn, 1x1, 2.4GHz + Bluetooth 4.0 adapter, then you need to do some tweaking in the adapter's setting.
Try setting to the following:

2G bandwidth capability: set to 2.4G: 20/40 (default was 20 only)
Bandwidth capability: set to 11b/g: 20/40 (default as 20 only)
Antenna: set to Aux (default was auto)
Roaming tendency: set to Aggresive (default was auto)

I did this and my Dell XPS 8700 PC speedtest can get 28-30Mbps dl 9.8 mbps ul (i am on unifi advance 30mbps plan). before this was only 3mbps dl 2mbps ul!  rclxub.gif  doh.gif

My ASUS zenbook laptop don't have this problem though as it is using ​Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7265 so no tweaking is required.

Dell wireless adapter have some issues on the connectivity as what i read on various forums.
My PC i stated here is actually a desktop, sorry didn't state it in my OP, its not a wifi card actually, its a built in wifi module on my motherboard Asus Z87 Pro. But its been sorted out, wifi channel issue, so no problem now. Thanks for the reply btw.

Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0129sec    0.46    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:26 PM