Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Kia Rio 2017 launched

views

TSjayraptor
post Jul 22 2017, 02:01 PM, updated 7y ago

Getting Started
107 posts

New Rio 1.4L with 4AT gearbox at rm79k?
Engine 1368cc kappa (old 1 was gamma 1.4L)
Output 100ps@6000rpm (previous 107ps@6300rpm)
Torque 133Nm@4000rpm (previous 137Nm@4200rpm)
Kerb weight 1162kg

New Rio launched price more expensive than previous, they said they were forced to sell at rm79k. Lame excuse being reused like when they first brought in Chevy sonic 1.4L with 6AT, said not allowed to sell cheap.

The engine is kappa rebored to 1.4l displacement. Like how they did to Nu 1.8L enlarged to 2.0L. No wonder output torque becomes poorer. So those who bought previous Rio 1.4L, their spare parts for engine cannot share with new Rio and vice versa other way round.

The kerb weight 1162kg is almost as heavy as my old n16 sentral 1.6L and old Altis 1.6L. New Rio torque 133Nm@4000rpm is equivalent to old 90's corolla strength wanted to pull chassis as heavy as old sentra and old Altis 1.6L? Some more 4AT only? Power only 100ps? This is worse than Almari, won't surprise if its acceleration slow like Almari or worse.

What were they thinking? Calling the 3 stooges to post here

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
xemoboyx
post Jul 22 2017, 02:17 PM

Getting Started
109 posts

welcome to 2000s
ledtechn
post Jul 22 2017, 02:32 PM

Getting Started
55 posts

i dont mind about the 4 speed auto if the final ratio can make the rpm lower than 2.7k RPM at 110kmh.
axsatr
post Jul 22 2017, 02:35 PM

Getting Started
185 posts

Tested the car today, out of curiosity

Pros;
The quality is superb, good tactility on the buttons, the seats are very comfortable, all the surfaces you touch are of very good quality, especially the leather steering and gear knob (very Audi-esque)

Exterior also looks good, almost like a baby golf (with similar u-drl). Boot space is decent. The touch screen, while small, has good resolution unlike Honda.

The supervision 3.5" display at the meter is cool and modern. Sunroof is present. The door opening/closing is highly satisfactory. It's all very VW golf-like (can't compare to our CKD Indian polo). It needs very minimal effort to open/close the doors and the sound when closed is very solid

4-spd gearbox was very smooth and quick to downshift when required.

NVH is good

Cons;
Power is only decent with normal driving. I don't think it'll breeze through Karak and Genting

FC was bad. Drove normally with 4 adults, the trip computer shows I averaged 12.4 l/100km (same route, Jazz averages 7 l/100km)

Seats doesn't fold flat, only one seat back pocket.

17" tires look good but causes the car to ride rather stiffly over bumps, and replacement cost is higher compared to rivals

The salesman filled up RON97, he said it's instructed by Naza to protect the engine. I call bull to this statement as the real reason should be lesser power with RON95

Overtaking is a real chore, needs full throttle = poor FC

The car is rather low, scraped a bump because I didn't slow down enough (was doing 20 over that bump, Jazz and Myvi didn't scrape the bump at same condition)

NVH would've been great if there weren't so much tyre rolling noise (17" downside)

SA was very deceiving, said there was no discount, but once we said we knew the manager, suddenly there was Rm2000 discount (he said he spoke to the manager, but he was with us the whole time)

Said there's 3x (1k, 10k, 20k) free service rather than 3 years free service for first 50 buyers

TL;DR good car bad fc and power

This post has been edited by axsatr: Jul 22 2017, 02:38 PM
dman
post Jul 22 2017, 03:44 PM

On my way
514 posts

Just hate the stupid small infotainment screen. Other countries got the big screen but here is the ugly type.

And lack of dual tone interior dash unlike other countries too.

The most stupidest 4AT still exist in motoring scene... Haloooo, even the ancient vios also shift to cvt and Rio still uses 4 speed auto.

Why here all got the lowest and stupidest spec. sad.gif

The only saving grace is the quality and design.

kapalterbang_737
post Jul 22 2017, 11:17 PM

Enthusiast
859 posts

Agreed on the buttons, if not because of the puny screen i would have been sold by the buttons only. Feels really2 premium

I think Kia cars are quite low..my cerato also easily scraped if not slow enough
Boy96
post Jul 22 2017, 11:37 PM

That's a tripod.
3,755 posts

Bcoz only that engine are mated to an automatic gearbox, same goes with other countries

The 1.0T engine elsewhere only pairs with the manual transmission, which Malaysians wont buy
riezzien
post Jul 23 2017, 06:57 AM

Getting Started
107 posts

mmmm previous version looks better than this one
HMMaster
post Jul 23 2017, 08:00 AM

10K Club
Group Icon
10,308 posts

They could have lower it by k by removing the sunroof and changing the 17" wheel so a smaller one...
roocarroll
post Jul 23 2017, 08:39 AM

32 posts

QUOTE(HMMaster @ Jul 23 2017, 08:00 AM)
They could have lower it by k by removing the sunroof and changing the 17" wheel so a smaller one...
I'm not sure who decides on things like that but I don't think people in Malaysia care for sun roofs. I certainly don't want one.
TSjayraptor
post Jul 23 2017, 10:16 AM

Getting Started
107 posts

QUOTE(xemoboyx @ Jul 22 2017, 02:17 PM)
welcome to 2000s
Yet Kia Rio ads said this car is for the chic and youths. I think the youth will sing anthem of the year 2000 at Kia for bringing in such outdated tech. VW 1.4L mated to DCT 7AT, Chevy 1.4L mated to 6AT. Rio 1.4L mated to just 4AT?

Thanks @axsatr for sharing detailed review. Looks like they are ready to throw rm15-20k discount like previous Rio. Those who buy now really get cut throat if getting just rm2k discount or none, sure suffer worst drop in resale value.
crayzee
post Jul 23 2017, 12:00 PM

Enthusiast
894 posts

If KIA could just put 1.6L 6speed, with carplay/android auto then i'm sold!
Sunroof can be removed to lower down the price.
Damn 205/45/17 rubber for a 1.4L, this could be changed to 15/16 inch tyre for better FC and comfort.
SUSkevin23
post Jul 23 2017, 12:29 PM

Regular
1,803 posts

QUOTE(axsatr @ Jul 22 2017, 02:35 PM)

Pros;
The quality is superb, good tactility on the buttons, the seats are very comfortable, all the surfaces you touch are of very good quality, especially the leather steering and gear knob (very Audi-esque)

Exterior also looks good, almost like a baby golf (with similar u-drl). Boot space is decent. The touch screen, while small, has good resolution unlike Honda.

The supervision 3.5" display at the meter is cool and modern. Sunroof is present. The door opening/closing is highly satisfactory. It's all very VW golf-like (can't compare to our CKD Indian polo). It needs very minimal effort to open/close the doors and the sound when closed is very solid

NVH is good
Cons;
Power is only decent with normal driving. I don't think it'll breeze through Karak and Genting

FC was bad. Drove normally with 4 adults, the trip computer shows I averaged 12.4 l/100km (same route, Jazz averages 7 l/100km)

17" tires look good but causes the car to ride rather stiffly over bumps, and replacement cost is higher compared to rivals

The salesman filled up RON97, he said it's instructed by Naza to protect the engine. I call bull to this statement as the real reason should be lesser power with RON95

The car is rather low, scraped a bump because I didn't slow down enough (was doing 20 over that bump, Jazz and Myvi didn't scrape the bump at same condition)

NVH would've been great if there weren't so much tyre rolling noise (17" downside)

SA was very deceiving, said there was no discount, but once we said we knew the manager, suddenly there was Rm2000 discount (he said he spoke to the manager, but he was with us the whole time)

Said there's 3x (1k, 10k, 20k) free service rather than 3 years free service for first 50 buyers

Good car but bad fc and power? Contradict urself in one sentence.

That means its a lousy car la.
axsatr
post Jul 23 2017, 05:05 PM

Getting Started
185 posts

QUOTE(kevin23 @ Jul 23 2017, 12:29 PM)

Fun fact, power and FC isn't all that's important in a car
You still have NVH, comfort, safety, design, features etc.

Some people prioritises features over FC and power. I think this is true for most KIAs sold here

Axia has good FC, but bad safety, design, power, comfort, etc, yet its still a good car.

I think the power isn't the main issue to tackle, it's FC. 12l/100km is appalling. That's like a Proton CFE in towns (but at least that has the power)
kapalterbang_737
post Jul 23 2017, 05:47 PM

Enthusiast
859 posts

QUOTE(kevin23 @ Jul 23 2017, 12:29 PM)

Not really as not everyone really concerns on the power
I don't really care about the power or FC
i like the 17inchers and sunroof
If Naza decided to put 7inch screen with at least cruise control and Electrochromic mirror i'm sold already

gonna wait for next batch hopefully there will be new screen included..just like when Cerato launched in 2013, Naza gave tiny screen but later replaced with 7inch for later batches

This post has been edited by kapalterbang_737: Jul 23 2017, 05:48 PM
TSjayraptor
post Jul 24 2017, 08:10 PM

Getting Started
107 posts

Kia Rio 12L/100km is 8.3km/L which is as thirsty as bigger D segment. Rio gives 17" rim and sunroof also useless, nothing practical about this Rio. The engine 133nm@4000rpm with strength of old 90's 1.6L meant for pulling lightweight chassis 900kg range. 1162kg requires 150Nm at least. Anyone that buys Rio 1.4L will end up flooring the pedal end up with FC far worse than 8km/L. Not surprise if it gets 6km/L with passengers and cargo onboard

This post has been edited by jayraptor: Jul 24 2017, 08:11 PM
jacobngen87
post Jul 25 2017, 06:34 PM

2 posts

I think the sedan version looks really nice. Hope it'll be launched here soon at the same price tag RM72k.

Good contender to the City and Vios and Almera..

leftist
post Jul 26 2017, 09:44 AM

Enthusiast
734 posts

QUOTE(axsatr @ Jul 22 2017, 02:35 PM)

Pros;

NVH is good
Cons;

what do they thinking off??...same size like updated HRV shakehead.gif
Ginny88
post Jul 26 2017, 10:01 AM

Regular
1,032 posts

17" rims for a B-segment car is moronic especially when the engine is underpowered. It results in an even worse FC.

Owners will appreciate a bigger infotaiment screen more than a sunroof which they will hardly ever use. The 4AT is not a big deal but will contribute to higher FC.

Overall a poor package. There are better B-segment cars for your money.
adamhzm90
post Jul 26 2017, 10:39 AM

Regular
1,269 posts

dat radio is such a turn off

15 Pages  1 2 3 > » Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0216sec    0.09    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:31 AM