Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Fastest way to learn programming?

views

TSSecruoser
post Jul 16 2017, 11:10 PM, updated 7y ago

Regular
1,181 posts

What is the fastest way to learn programming on my own without going to college?
island
post Jul 17 2017, 06:00 AM

Regular
1,731 posts

depending on your objective of learning. nowadays, everywhere you can can get all kind of free resource, free development tools online, free ebooks, free online courses, i remember last time around 1999, it's a hard time for a person getting start to pick up programming, because NOTHING is free, you have to pay for almost everything, book, all kind of junk book, learning almost nothing at all and cost your few hundred. Don't mentioned e-book, because the only ebooks existed that time is apps help file. Only a HTML web design course cost you few thousand, now who still coding html code? all using express tools, like devexpress. Back to that time, learning programming is way too expensive, you have a expensive and dummy computer hang all the time. and all the development tools is get from the cd from the corner of the hidden and dark space hanging on the wall, now all you almost can download it for free from providers. So, for a starter today, recommended to learn powershell, visit powershell.org and microsoft virtual academy provided free online course, and the tool is already on your windows operating system. powershell is the simple and easy to understand, and it based on all kind of programming fundamental, if you not waiting for the pay cheque as a programmer. for starter, from ZERO to something, it's take time. i wasting years to understand it, special thank for the malaysia point less education system

This post has been edited by island: Jul 17 2017, 06:21 AM
TSSecruoser
post Jul 17 2017, 06:35 AM

Regular
1,181 posts

QUOTE(island @ Jul 17 2017, 06:00 AM)
depending on your objective of learning. nowadays, everywhere you can can get all kind of free resource, free development tools online, free ebooks, free online courses,  i remember last time around 1999, it's a hard time for a person getting start to pick up programming, because NOTHING is free, you have to pay for almost everything, book, all kind of junk book, learning almost nothing at all and cost your few hundred. Don't mentioned e-book, because the only ebooks existed that time is apps help file. Only a HTML web design course cost you few thousand, now who still coding html code? all using express tools, like devexpress. Back to that time, learning programming is way too expensive, you have a expensive and dummy computer hang all the time. and all the development tools is get  from the cd from  the corner of the hidden and dark space hanging on the wall, now all you almost can download it for free from providers. So, for a starter today, recommended to learn powershell, visit powershell.org and microsoft virtual academy provided free online course, and the tool is already on your windows operating system. powershell is the simple and easy to understand, and it based on all kind of programming  fundamental, if you not waiting for the pay cheque as a programmer. for starter, from ZERO to something, it's take time. i wasting years to understand it, special thank for the malaysia point less education system
powershell? have not heard of it. I've only heard of java, javascript, python, C, C++, C#...

my objective is to be comfortable to take up projects on a formal level. I'm very interested in blockchain and cryptography.

alien3d
post Jul 17 2017, 08:01 AM

Look at all my stars!!
3,740 posts

QUOTE(Secruoser @ Jul 17 2017, 06:35 AM)
powershell? have not heard of it. I've only heard of java, javascript, python, C, C++, C#...

my objective is to be comfortable to take up projects on a formal level. I'm very interested in blockchain and cryptography.
fastest is learn basic math and get a problem solve without computer. then moved to whatever c ,c++,c#
badai
post Jul 17 2017, 01:08 PM

Enthusiast
986 posts

simple programming can, usually by wanted to do something, they end up doing basic thing using batch files, some doing website and end up doing something with javascript.

from there they will do something more, and doing more complex thing.

but you can never ever be real programmer without formal education. you will be a laughing stock when you are baffled when others ask you something very basic like why are you using float, or why not use modulo to get balance, or when you totally lost when face with boolean logic. The truth is, you might know all about it, only you didn't know the term and ppl will start doubting you.

"formal education"? not necessarily in college. I heard some ppl just learn on the Internet. dunno how true it is.
alien3d
post Jul 17 2017, 01:23 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,740 posts

QUOTE(badai @ Jul 17 2017, 01:08 PM)
simple programming can, usually by wanted to do something, they end up doing basic thing using batch files, some doing website and end up doing something with javascript.

but you can never ever be real programmer without formal education. you will be a laughing stock when you are baffled when others ask you something very basic like why are you using float, or why not use modulo to get balance, or when you totally lost when face with boolean logic. The truth is, you might know all about it, only you didn't know the term and ppl will start doubting you.

"formal education"? not necessarily in college. I heard some ppl just learn on the Internet. dunno how true it is.
dont ask me term . freakin confusing each day
dispatcher router middleware redux

term which not been test angular ..: and lots more

Stick to business rulez. not programing term

TSSecruoser
post Jul 17 2017, 01:24 PM

Regular
1,181 posts

That's the thing. I'm working full time so college is out of the question for me.

I'm learning from websites but since there's no time frame given, I'm not sure how to tell what I'm supposed to achieve in 1 month, 3 months, 6 months and a year.
alien3d
post Jul 17 2017, 04:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,740 posts

QUOTE(Secruoser @ Jul 17 2017, 01:24 PM)
That's the thing. I'm working full time so college is out of the question for me.

I'm learning from websites but since there's no time frame given, I'm not sure how to tell what I'm supposed to achieve in 1 month, 3 months, 6 months and a year.
one thing you have to remember.. Not just developer can code..

I see accountant code in VBA to do their financial report

I see civil engineer do code in LISP autocat..

In one month maybe not much, but you can watch and try.. a lot of free tool like visual studio community -> creating application.

Try basic html

Then try some javascript

** don't go framework world like angular,react.. Even oldies also confuse with all new term.

Then try back end language like python,php

After few year, you may wanted to moved to advance like JAVA,C#

adamkz
post Jul 17 2017, 06:27 PM

1 posts

www.freecodecamp.org could be a great place to start
kingkingyyk
post Jul 17 2017, 08:40 PM

10k Club
Group Icon
Elite
15,425 posts

I taught myself programming in secondary school through forum and created some mini games. laugh.gif
Went into university and... surprisingly easy. University doesn't expose you to the real world development, i.e. why use linked-list instead of array? Why OOP? These are not written black and white and requires experience to pick the best choice out.

I would think self-taught programming (+with aim to create small projects) is way more effective than following the syllabus in college/university that severely limits the student from thinking creatively to solve problem.
malleus
post Jul 17 2017, 09:06 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,096 posts

QUOTE(Secruoser @ Jul 16 2017, 11:10 PM)
What is the fastest way to learn programming on my own without going to college?
Right now, your question is really too vague for anybody to be of much help to you. But what you can do first of all is to set yourself a target of something that you wish to build. Then research into it to find out what you need to know and learn in order to build that. As you go along that path, you'll then have more detailed questions.

Alternatively you can also sign up for one of those code boot camps.

island
post Jul 18 2017, 07:43 PM

Regular
1,731 posts

i'm self taught. i don't care about all the mumbo jumbo. as long as the apps the script the function work accordingly, i feel good. all resource is free online now. You just needs to moved your ass, take some action, do some funny apps. download sample code , and learn how other people coding the logic. you can found it just googling. you don't need to remember what the heck 1001 is. Most of the time you only dealing with Try, Select, Function, True, False, Object. It's object oriented programming, NOT assembly language.

This post has been edited by island: Jul 18 2017, 07:55 PM
TruboXL
post Jul 18 2017, 09:44 PM

Over 900 useless posts
984 posts

QUOTE(island @ Jul 18 2017, 07:43 PM)
i'm self taught. i don't care about all the mumbo jumbo. as long as the apps the script the function work accordingly, i feel good. all resource is free online now. You just needs to moved your ass, take some action, do some funny apps. download sample code , and learn how other people coding the logic. you can found it just googling. you don't need to remember what the heck 1001 is. Most of the time you only dealing with Try, Select, Function, True, False, Object. It's object oriented programming, NOT assembly language.
no need to read huge ass books (pdf)? hmm.gif i am searching around github btw...

EDIT: hacky solution also can?

This post has been edited by TruboXL: Jul 18 2017, 09:46 PM
alien3d
post Jul 19 2017, 02:43 PM

Look at all my stars!!
3,740 posts

QUOTE(TruboXL @ Jul 18 2017, 09:44 PM)
no need to read huge ass books (pdf)? hmm.gif i am searching around github btw...

EDIT: hacky solution also can?
no...
Most modern language is oop. Just click and see the reference or press click is enough. Even some old language have reference which we check back where is the source and what is does.

People nowadays pretty easy ask forum , stackoverflow,expertexchange.

RNM
post Jul 20 2017, 01:36 AM

Getting Started
187 posts

Where you live? Northern and South Malaysia has lot of active IT community and IT company. Get blend with them or try to apply internship.
island
post Jul 20 2017, 10:20 AM

Regular
1,731 posts

QUOTE(RNM @ Jul 20 2017, 01:36 AM)
Where you live? Northern and South Malaysia has lot of active IT community and IT company. Get blend with them or try to apply internship.
those wanted superman....
PlayPlayHa
post Jul 21 2017, 12:54 AM

Getting Started
56 posts

free solution:
w3school[dot]com

ops.. should be w3schools[dot]com , but no harm to view the first link.

paid solution:
teamtreehouse[dot]com
pluralsight[dot]com
narf03
post Jul 21 2017, 01:10 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,544 posts

Do things don't just read, make a program that do something.
dstl1128
post Jul 21 2017, 02:29 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,463 posts

QUOTE(narf03 @ Jul 21 2017, 01:10 PM)
Do things don't just read, make a program that do something.
This. Just do it.
RNM
post Jul 22 2017, 02:01 AM

Getting Started
187 posts

Think and do! Dont just read and wait for miracles

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0215sec    0.16    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:53 AM