Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Bump Topic Topic Closed RSS Feed
318 Pages « < 77 78 79 80 81 > » Bottom

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Oil & Gas Careers V12 - Upstream & Downstream, Market still slump, slow, snail pace...

views

junxian32
post Dec 15 2018, 10:45 AM

28 posts

Just accepted Baker Hughes KL Offer, anyone to update the environment & benefits there?
Soeratkabarlama
post Dec 15 2018, 07:24 PM

8 posts

QUOTE(junxian32 @ Dec 15 2018, 10:45 AM)
Just accepted Baker Hughes KL Offer, anyone to update the environment & benefits there?
As an engineer? Congrats!
MinusGear
post Dec 15 2018, 07:48 PM

Getting Started
197 posts

QUOTE(dragonsuy @ Dec 11 2018, 09:02 PM)
Hello, i went to ExxonMobil interview last week for Chemical Engineer position, experienced hire. How long usually to wait for offer?

I heard some only few days, and some even few months? My online application still says "application in progress".
Not exxonmobil but other big O&G company, I heard one guy only manage to get in after 6 mths. So don't put all your eggs into one company.
matyrze
post Dec 17 2018, 09:07 PM

Historical tears
678 posts

Guys, would like to get an opinion. I am an Engineer, employed under an agency, seconded to a EMEPMI, and work in client's office.

Positive of being a contract engineer:
1) Satisfactory salary level (personal opinion biggrin.gif)
Negative of being a contract engineer:
1) No real career progress, gonna be stuck at Engineer level only. Well the highest can go up as Lead Engineer, or be a SME type person.
2) No training provided, only by self initiative to take up certs that may increase my working value
3) Not many benefits, only have annual leave (no bonus, no insurance, no nothing. all paid in lump sum as contract worker)
4) Well, many may think contract basis can be a bit insecure, however this is also applicable for permanent staffs nowadays I guess

Now, I have been offered permanent role with EMEPMI. However, their salary level is not very attractive, as they have their own salary structure, and its hard for them to match my current salary level as a contract engineer. If I am gonna take their offer, I basically need to take significant basic salary cut. However, this will improve a lot of the negative aspect I mentioned earlier. Most notable is the numerous opportunities for training and career progression.

So my question is, should I take the permanent role?

sueon94
post Dec 17 2018, 09:59 PM

19 posts

QUOTE(matyrze @ Dec 17 2018, 09:07 PM)
Guys, would like to get an opinion. I am an Engineer, employed under an agency, seconded to a EMEPMI, and work in client's office.

Positive of being a contract engineer:
1) Satisfactory salary level (personal opinion biggrin.gif)
Negative of being a contract engineer:
1) No real career progress, gonna be stuck at Engineer level only. Well the highest can go up as Lead Engineer, or be a SME type person.
2) No training provided, only by self initiative to take up certs that may increase my working value
3) Not many benefits, only have annual leave (no bonus, no insurance, no nothing. all paid in lump sum as contract worker)
4) Well, many may think contract basis can be a bit insecure, however this is also applicable for permanent staffs nowadays I guess

Now, I have been offered permanent role with EMEPMI. However, their salary level is not very attractive, as they have their own salary structure, and its hard for them to match my current salary level as a contract engineer. If I am gonna take their offer, I basically need to take significant basic salary cut. However, this will improve a lot of the negative aspect I mentioned earlier. Most notable is the numerous opportunities for training and career progression.

So my question is, should I take the permanent role?
I think its really good to join exxon as a permanent employee cause their benefits are superb and with 2 months contractual bonus.
Your pay cut you mentioned is it more than 30%?

There's clear career path in exxon too, so you're going to get promoted somehow unlike your current situation forever stuck in one position.
Do you have a lot of commitment?
matyrze
post Dec 17 2018, 10:43 PM

Historical tears
678 posts

QUOTE(sueon94 @ Dec 17 2018, 09:59 PM)
I think its really good to join exxon as a permanent employee cause their benefits are superb and with 2 months contractual bonus.
Your pay cut you mentioned is it more than 30%?

There's clear career path in exxon too, so you're going to get promoted somehow unlike your current situation forever stuck in one position.
Do you have a lot of commitment?
Yup, cut higher than 30%.

Yea, I am aware of the career path too. In fact there actually are opportunities for Malaysian upstream staffs to go for offshore assignments (not only engineers, also for technician level too, since they have good experience with brownfield offshore facilities)

Commitment is at OK level I guess, however I do have a house mortgage, car loan, ASB loans, and life + family medical insurance. Taking a big paycut will definitely change my lifestyle quite a bit LOL. However, seeing that several of my colleagues (one permanent engineer and another offshore supervisor) getting oversea assignments recently really make me considering my options. Awesome career opportunities!

meonkutu11
post Dec 17 2018, 11:48 PM

Regular
1,597 posts

QUOTE(matyrze @ Dec 17 2018, 10:43 PM)

Yea, I am aware of the career path too. In fact there actually are opportunities for Malaysian upstream staffs to go for offshore assignments (not only engineers, also for technician level too, since they have good experience with brownfield offshore facilities)

Commitment is at OK level I guess, however I do have a house mortgage, car loan, ASB loans, and life + family medical insurance. Taking a big paycut will definitely change my lifestyle quite a bit LOL. However, seeing that several of my colleagues (one permanent engineer and another offshore supervisor) getting oversea assignments recently really make me considering my options. Awesome career opportunities!
My personal opinion, if you already longtime with contract basis and have good networking (well known to other operators), you can continue with contract. There still be competition but good connections will push you infront.

If you're new/young - having Exxonmobil in your resume will push you further as well. Also, you will be part of team that will involve in improving and implementing new standard/procedures of company.

The lifesytles can be adjusted and adapted, I assume as long as you dont have high commitment under you belt that cannot be eliminated, e.g. Mortgage, PL, Credit Cards. (But beware of peer influence biggrin.gif )

Opportunity is not only working offshore but oversea assingments - relocate with family package biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

-my personal opinion-

This post has been edited by meonkutu11: Dec 17 2018, 11:49 PM
sueon94
post Dec 17 2018, 11:53 PM

19 posts

QUOTE(matyrze @ Dec 17 2018, 10:43 PM)

Yes but exxon covers medical for family if you contribute tiny bit of salary per month (read from some indeed reviews).
I remember seeing the presentation during the interview with plenty of benefits included, such as 15% discount from all petrol stations bla bla bla.
Yes, they are currently expanding rapidly especially for the KL technology center so there will be plenty oversea assignment or business trips.
Its something you can never get outside.

mhyug
post Dec 18 2018, 12:25 PM

Regular
1,524 posts

exxon offering a job is big enough. but if youre making big bucks already im assuming it won't be hard for you to jump back in the job for any senior positions be it contract or permanent.

a win win situation i guess. maybe just a slight challenge in adjustment from the pay difference.

ronn77
post Dec 19 2018, 01:45 PM

Look at all my stars!!
2,508 posts

Hi guys,

Do you all know which O&G company is hiring a DC? Just trying my luck as my wife is looking for one.
wildan03
post Dec 19 2018, 08:51 PM

Getting Started
227 posts

QUOTE(ronn77 @ Dec 19 2018, 01:45 PM)
Hi guys,

Do you all know which O&G company is hiring a DC? Just trying my luck as my wife is looking for one.
Not sure about DC but McDermott seems like opening a lot of position.. brows.gif .maybe u can try your luck.
contestchris
post Dec 21 2018, 07:59 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,337 posts

How's MMHE doing these days? I'm looking at one of their jobs (risk). But it seems like while Sapura is nearing insolvency (hence the rights issue) and MMHE is cash rich and has a clean balance sheet, Sapura is the one getting all the major fabrication contracts. Sapura got Pegaga, and not just that but they've got fabrication contracts from faraway Mexico and a big contract in India.

Question is, what the flying heck is happening to MMHE? Will it be unwise to look at join them at this point in time? I'd like to think this is the "darkest before dawn" moment for MMHE but they've simply not got any major fabrication works for 1.5 years and it worries me that there may be deep-rooted issues at the company (reputation and quality being the main ones).

Appreciate your input folks!
TSmohdyakup
post Dec 21 2018, 10:00 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,287 posts

Sapura nearing insolvency???? Dudeeee, you might be wrong.
contestchris
post Dec 22 2018, 12:18 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,337 posts

QUOTE(mohdyakup @ Dec 21 2018, 10:00 PM)
Sapura nearing insolvency???? Dudeeee, you might be wrong.
They are, indeed. Look at their latest balance sheet. RM6bil in borrowings due in the next 12 months, and just RM680mil cash in hand. Their current liabilities is 2x their current assets. The company is valued at a mere RM1.8bil...it was worth RM30bil a mere 5 years ago. See here: http://disclosure.bursamalaysia.com/FileAc..._FR_ATTACHMENTS

That's why they're selling their best assets and raising fresh capital of RM4.5bil. Without the rights issue, Sapura will be going under. I'm impressed they're going about as if things are BAU, but they're in a pretty dire situation. The only major O&G company which is in a worse position solvency-wise is probably Bumi Armada.

Given the above, it's what makes me really bewildered that Sapura is getting multiple mega fabrication works, while MMHE which on paper has got a bullet-proof balance sheet and Petronas backing is getting NOTHING in 2018!

This post has been edited by contestchris: Dec 22 2018, 12:20 AM
Stamp
post Dec 22 2018, 10:38 AM

Look at all my stars!!
4,782 posts

QUOTE(contestchris @ Dec 22 2018, 12:18 AM)
They are, indeed. Look at their latest balance sheet. RM6bil in borrowings due in the next 12 months, and just RM680mil cash in hand. Their current liabilities is 2x their current assets. The company is valued at a mere RM1.8bil...it was worth RM30bil a mere 5 years ago. See here: http://disclosure.bursamalaysia.com/FileAc..._FR_ATTACHMENTS

That's why they're selling their best assets and raising fresh capital of RM4.5bil. Without the rights issue, Sapura will be going under. I'm impressed they're going about as if things are BAU, but they're in a pretty dire situation. The only major O&G company which is in a worse position solvency-wise is probably Bumi Armada.

Given the above, it's what makes me really bewildered that Sapura is getting multiple mega fabrication works, while MMHE which on paper has got a bullet-proof balance sheet and Petronas backing is getting NOTHING in 2018!
IMHO the answer to your wonderment is obvious, Sapura doesn’t have the crutch like MMHE has. So in order to survive Sapura have to work 3 times harder in order to find jobs. MMHE since it’s MSE days, have never been able to survive on its own. There you go!
feekle
post Dec 24 2018, 11:20 AM

Bibo ergo sum!
1,922 posts

user posted image

Still below 60..
buncho89
post Dec 26 2018, 08:02 AM

Getting Started
282 posts

Crude oil at 50usd..ouh boy here we go again...
contestchris
post Dec 26 2018, 07:16 PM

Look at all my stars!!
4,337 posts

Hmmm, speaking about MMHE: https://www.nst.com.my/business/2018/12/444...nt-saudi-aramco

A few questions:

1) Previously someone mentioned MMHE needs Petronas' "crutches" to survive. If so, how were they able to secure a relatively prestigious LTA with Saudi Aramco?

2) Does the LTA in and of itself mean anything? Does it guarantee a steady flow of contracts? Now there are 10 LTA players, where does the TechnipFMC-MMHE combo stand relative to their competitors? Are they competitive, simply put?

3) The Pluto Water Handling Module fabrication...how significant is this? What kind of a size of contract are we talking about here? RM50mil? RM500mil?
jianh
post Dec 27 2018, 05:51 AM

What custom title???
920 posts

QUOTE(junxian32 @ Dec 15 2018, 10:45 AM)
I think restructuring coming soon as GE looks to split and sell their shares?

reign226
post Dec 27 2018, 03:30 PM

Enthusiast
804 posts

many FPSO jobs being thrown around now, MODEC gonna be a big winner for the next few years.

318 Pages « < 77 78 79 80 81 > » Top
Topic ClosedOptions

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0161sec    0.42    6 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:36 PM