Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

Best keyboard for your NEW IPAD PRO, A brief review for keyboards!

views

TSshennwuu
post Jul 9 2017, 11:26 PM, updated 7y ago

Getting Started
183 posts

A Great External Keyboard for your iPad Pro

There was a huge fight within my mind on which keyboard should I choose. When it's came to consideration, budget was not a big problem to me, it remain as a factor of worth. Being an entry touch typist, I need a normal layout keyboard and spaced keys.

Apple Smart Keyboard? Nah.

I can't say Apple Smart Keyboard is a bad choice available in the market, but it is definitely not a tempt. Apple Smart Keyboard, on the other hand, was a great and the best suit "internal" keyboard to be used with iPad Pro. The contact of Smart Connector with the respective pins found on the keyboard was genius. The Smart Connector snaps on the pins with the magnetic attraction making the keyboard stay connected all the time against minor movement of iPad. In order to review in depth, I visited the Apple Retailer nearby my neighbourhood, Switch to give it a test. After typing on the Smart Keyboard for 5 minutes, the first impression was how could the keyboard worked so flawless, you can't notice any lag or any repeatition on single actuation which you might come across using a bluetooth keyboard. Somehow, I just don't like to type on it. It is unfair to complain that Smart Keyboard is not giving the sensation as typing on the mechanical keyboard as they were not in the same class but it absolutely not a winner among external keboards including the keyboard on laptop. To make it a thin keyboard case, Apple had made the Smart Keyboard to have minimal key travel and gave it a nice leather finish which provide spill protection at the same time. I suppose it would be nice to use it on your lap but not on the desk. Due to the short key travel, your finger tips are always "smashing" on the desk surface, it hurts your finger after working on it for long period. Lack of function keys as what featured on a Magic Keyboard was the biggest disadvantage of ASK. Apple intended to make IPP to be the laptop replacement, and I would never blame that iPad was bad without a mouse or touchpad as it was a tablet, not a laptop. It was dissapointing that the inspiration of replacing a laptop was not satisfying until we could access most of the settings or functions without touching the screen but just press the keys on keyboard.

Logitech Create, a better version of Apple Smart Keyboard.

As far as I know, Logitech is the only third party manufacturer who created external keyboard featured the Smart Connector after Apple. Logitech Create Keyboard was first announced in 2015 after the launch of first gen iPad Pro 12.9". The Logitech Create was so bulky and would definitely add on, perhaps doubled up the actual weight of iPad. It had a premium look with alumnium body, finished with lining textures. In comparison with Apple Smart Keyboard, Logitech Create did provided a good key travel for better typing feedback and the best part is, backlit illumination which makes typing in dark possible! By the way, having the backlit turning on all the time isn't a good idea as the keyboard would sucks the iPad battery juice like vampire. Beside the backlit, another shortage found in Apple Smart Keyboard was fixed in Logitech Create Keyboard: the function keys. Yes! You are allowed to control your songs playback, sound settings, back to home, and perform screenshot without getting your hands off from the keyboard. With these perks, it is reasonable to give up on ease of carry with the price $30 less than Apple Smart Keyboard.

Logitech K380, best full sized keyboard for iPad.

This beast has everything and even more than what we found in both Apple Smart Keyboard and Logitech Create. Longer key travel, tactile feedback, unique round shaped key, 3 devices interchangeable, media keys, more function keys, compatible for Windows, Mac OS, iOS, Android, Chrome OS... Yes, with price tag of RM149, you definitely can't share the pride of having a Smart Connector but this doesn't mean that it is not a good protable keyboard! Inspite of having a larger size, K380 is still sleek enough to be carried around thanks for its lightweight and thin profile. I type on K380 more often than the my laptop keyboard, critically, I just forgot that I have a keyboard on my laptop! Interchanging between your laptop and iPad couldn't be easier on K380, writing article on iPad while replying Facebook Message on laptop will never be easier by switching between them with a keypress. There are 3 dedicated buttons for 3 devices set orderly according to your preference. By pressing them once, you could select any device you want to use with the keyboard. FYI, I am writing this article on K380 using my iPad Pro 9.7" right now!

In conclusion, there will be no biased decision about which keyboard was the best. I could only say which keyboard is the most suitable for your working style, go for Apple Smart Keyboard or Logitech Create if you prefer to use your iPad as a laptop replacement. If you create content frequently using iPad, Logitech K380 will be the best possible keyboard available in the market.

Thanks!

Remark: I am not writing for any party stated above. I am just an iPad enthusiast no different with you! Forgive my grammar and plain English but I tried my best to share my ideas with you all.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0106sec    0.31    5 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:04 PM