Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

> The New Kia Optima GT 2017 thread, Strictly for discussion about the car

views

TSkluseng
post Jul 7 2017, 09:45 PM, updated 3 months ago

37 posts

This thread is for those who would like to talk about the Optima GT 2.0L turbo sedan, test drive reports, buying intentions, features, pricing, performance, comparison with other D-segments, etc. If you want to talk about Korean car marketing strategies there is another (hijacked) thread for that. Some facts about this car.

Engine: 2000cc turbo
Transmission: 6 Speed Auto
Max Power: 242 hp @ 6000 rpm
Max Torque: 353 Nm @ 1400rpm - 4000 rpm
Curb weight: 1580 kg
0-100 km/h : 7.4 sec
Max Speed: 240 km/h
Consumption: 8.5 L/100km
Airbags: 6
Wheels: 18" with normal tyre
Audio: 6 speakers no name system
Infotainment: 7" touchscreen display with navigation
Headlights: LED
Origin: CBU, Korea
Price: RM175,212 OTR without insurance

Kia Promotion Video

In-depth review by Bobby Ang

This post has been edited by kluseng: Jul 11 2017, 09:20 PM
TSkluseng
post Jul 8 2017, 09:29 AM

37 posts

QUOTE(isr25 @ Jul 7 2017, 10:42 PM)
The thread was not really hijacked, since the TS was questioning the Korean car marketing strategies and pricing in the first post biggrin.gif

In any case, the Optima looks like a good car, same with Elantra. If they can overcome their perceived status by Malaysians, they should sell well.
The thread was hijacked as with the volume of non-related talk there people will be discouraged from posting anything else.

For its power and price no other car comes close. Even the Volvo V40 T5 is a much smaller car so it is not in the same segment.

QUOTE(constant_weight @ Jul 8 2017, 08:27 AM)
Review from US, this one is professionally done. The best review I've seen in years.

Corrected the youtube link

This post has been edited by kluseng: Jul 8 2017, 09:35 AM
TSkluseng
post Jul 8 2017, 07:39 PM

37 posts

QUOTE(zeng @ Jul 8 2017, 05:04 PM)
Are all Kia K5 models here having the same transmission models , and dependable ?
Optima K5 and Optima GT have 6 speed conventional auto transmission. They are more dependable than DSG or DCT.

QUOTE(Ginny88 @ Jul 8 2017, 04:49 PM)
The Optima will have no market segment? Not even as a poor man's Passat?
The price of the Optima GT is too close to a Passat to be a poor man's Passat. With aggressive discounting by VGM the Passat 2.0 TSI may even be sold at the same price as the Optima GT. And besides those hunkering after European cars won't be attracted to a Korean car.

TSkluseng
post Jul 9 2017, 09:53 AM

37 posts

Realistically speaking the Optima GT is not priced exorbitantly for a D-segment car of that power. We should be comparing with these cars:

Mazda 6 2.5L - RM195K (185HP)
Mazda 6 2.2L Diesel - RM203K (173HP)
Passat 1.8 TSI Comfortline - RM181K (178 HP)
Passat 2.0 TSI Highline - RM200K (217HP)
Ford Mondeo 2.0L Ecoboost - RM204K (237HP)
Peugeot 508 GT Diesel - RM202K (204 HP)
Peugeot 508 THP - RM175K (163HP)
Optima 2.0T GT - RM175K (242HP)

The Volvo V40 T5 isn't even D-segment so it cannot be compared.

So based on the above the Optima GT comes out with the highest engine power and the cheapest price. It's only fault is that it is a Korean car so buyers' perception is that it has no right to charge so much. But it is more reliable than a Conti car, is cheaper to maintain and has higher resale value.

TSkluseng
post Jul 11 2017, 09:21 PM

37 posts

Added Kia promotion video on first page.
TSkluseng
post Jul 17 2017, 04:35 PM

37 posts

QUOTE(hengng @ Jul 17 2017, 02:07 PM)
Nope, claimed the whole steering rack cause it seems some K5s have the problems.  Well, did call to Nazakia about the brake discs but they said not under warranty claim. 

Beside, I think we better move over to K5 thread to discuss further since this is K5 Optima GT thread.
How long did it take you to get the steering rack replaced? I mean what was the waiting time after making a complaint and how long downtime in the workshop? I hope Naza's service is better than VW.

TSkluseng
post Jul 21 2017, 11:38 PM

37 posts

QUOTE(dstl1128 @ Jul 21 2017, 08:25 PM)
No issue with quality interior of Optima GT.

There are only 3 issues with Optima GT:
1. can its pricing be justified against jap rivals?
2. is the ownership experience of Kia improved? What happen if something not right happen on the engine compartment? Will the owner need to wait 2~3 months for parts arrival, and then find out the SC ordered the wrong part and has to wait another 2~3 months?
3. New Accord coming and most likely some variant of it would have Honda Sensing and OptimaGT has none.
1. If you compare power, features, space, interior quality, etc, yes. If you compare brand perception, then no.
2. This could happen with any CBU brand, not just Kia. In fact even CKD cars need to wait for some parts.
3. Compare the overall car, not just certain features. The new Accord is not going to have ventilated seats or sun roof. You still don't know how many Honda sensing features the distributor is going to strip away.

TSkluseng
post Jul 22 2017, 04:24 PM

37 posts

QUOTE(fong928 @ Jul 21 2017, 11:50 AM)
Passat should have better nvh and ride quality, GT is a bit bumpy, which I scared GT might not pass my wife testing...
The Optima GT will be easier and cheaper to maintain. It does not have DSG, clutch pack, mechatronic and adaptive dampers. All are expensive items to replace. 4 less things to worry about.

TSkluseng
post Dec 14 2017, 07:42 AM

37 posts

QUOTE(statikinetic @ Dec 13 2017, 11:51 PM)
FC for the GT I cannot comment as I didn't have the the GT for an extended period of time.
For the standard K5, I would say FC is about average for a modern D segment.

Ride is good for it's class, but not exceptional.
Handling is something which I cannot put too much input on as I didn't really get to test it on twisty roads. On the highways and around town, I have no complaints.
This car was positioned as a Grand Tourer, hence it does that very well. High speed long distance drives.
The power delivery is very linear. It seems to accelerate from 120km/h to 160km/h at the same rate as it did from 40km/h to 60km/h. Feels like a big NA engine and is all very smooth. The interior is well done up and quite comfortable. Features like the air con seats and a panoramic roof gives it that premium feel.

If you want to win traffic light races, it is the wrong car. it just isn't tuned to accelerate in that fashion where other cars deliver most of their torque. It is tuned as a GT car, not a sports car.
If you are a safe family man who wants the smoothest ride for his family and has never driven past 110km/h (which is the speed limit on the highways), wrong car to buy.
If you are buying a car based on how much you can sell it in a few years, wrong car. Although Kia does have a Value5 plan to secure the value recently.

If you are driving from Perlis to Johor and need to pick a car in this segment, this is where it blows the competition out of the water.
It is not a boy racer type of car. It is a cruiser, and should be viewed as such.
You are talking about the Optima K5 aren't you? With the Optima GT turbo you can have both comfort and power. But the GT doesn't seem to be selling well. Maybe Naza has overpriced it for this market.

TSkluseng
post Jan 26 2018, 07:51 AM

37 posts

QUOTE(wei @ Jan 25 2018, 02:56 PM)
Hopefully they will introduce GT variant... sometime... in the future. LOL
1.6T with such size is really sad. That's the same one in elantra sport if not wrong
This is a step backwards for Optima. 1.6T will only be slightly more powerful than 2.0 NA and we know the 2.0 NA is underpowered. FC is not going to be good because the 1.6T engine will have to go all out most of the time.

TSkluseng
post Jan 26 2018, 07:53 AM

37 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Jan 25 2018, 02:36 PM)
ah..crap

Further no new 8 speed in the specification....

I guess they wanted to create a performance gap between it and the stinger...

Or maybe just for korean markets only, outside markets may still get the 8 speed automatic and 2L turbocharged powertrain.
There is no need to create a performance gap with the Stinger. The Stinger caters to a different market altogether and besides the performance of the 2.0T Optima is nowhere near that of the Stinger.

TSkluseng
post Jan 29 2018, 06:30 PM

37 posts

QUOTE(Buydirect @ Jan 29 2018, 05:24 PM)
The old Optima or better known as the K5 has a 2.0 MPi power train whereas the latest Optima GT comes with a 2.0 Turbo GDi Engine and with a host of gear improvements , not found in the previous K5.

Drive modes (Eco, Normal , Sport)
Tire Pressure Monitoring system
Wireless Smart Phone Charging
Turbo-Torque Electronic Display
GT red caliper brakes (all 4)
Remote Windows control
Smart Trunk
Rear Sunshade blind

I beg to differ that Kia Malaysia is being greedy as that is not the case at all. However I would say it is a chicken & egg situation , that is if we want a lower priced car, Kia Malaysia need to commit much higher volumes to Kia Korea, because everything is tied to numbers.  The drop in the value of our currency against the USD a year or so ago also did not helped the cause.
It's not a chicken and egg situation. If Naza wants to sell more they should reduce the price. It works 100% in Malaysia which is a very price sensitive market. If price is right Malaysians don't care about brand. Even a very unreliable car with gearbox problems flew off the yard when VW reduced prices.

TSkluseng
post Mar 5 2018, 11:11 PM

37 posts

QUOTE(Buydirect @ Mar 5 2018, 04:08 PM)
The present plan for Optima in Malaysia, is that Naza Kia will re-introduce the 2.0 non-turbo with MPi engine , somewhat similar to the previous K5 model. The expected pricing should be around 150K plus minus, which will suit our market demand better.
After people have a taste of the Optima 2.0 Turbo do they still want to buy the 2.0 NA? The market has changed. There is no going back to the underpowered 2.0 NA.

TSkluseng
post Mar 6 2018, 09:50 PM

37 posts

QUOTE(Buydirect @ Mar 6 2018, 05:03 PM)
Every product that is highly specced, comes at a premium cost. It is not viable for any business to continue giving discounts and to keep selling at a loss. What is needed is a balance in terms of committed sales volume and a competitive pricing from the principal in Korea.  I think that is what Kia Malaysia is trying to do.
I think Naza can do better than RM180K for the Optima 2.0T. They set the price too high and demand wasn't there. We will see when the Accord turbo is launched.

Naza seems to follow a familiar pricing pattern. Good demand for a car cause the new model to shoot up in price. Just like Forte and Cerato.
TSkluseng
post Jul 9 2018, 02:46 PM

37 posts

The Stinger 2.0T is not going to be a lot more powerful than the Optima GT which uses the same engine so if it is priced a lot higher buyers may as well go for the Optima.

Bearing in mind that the Optima GT is priced at RM175K list w/o insurance I think RM200K for the Stinger 2.0T is about right.
TSkluseng
post Jul 11 2018, 06:18 PM

37 posts

Very greedy pricing by Naza. If you see one on the road you should quickly buy 4D.

TSkluseng
post Jul 12 2018, 03:37 PM

37 posts

QUOTE(iZuDeeN @ Jul 12 2018, 02:39 PM)
yeah saw the video the actual time is higher than claimed.. but is there another video on Optima GT "real world" sprint test?

then it would be equal comparison.. both real world figures instead of Optima GT using manufacturer vs Stinger using real world test
Same engine but heavier body than Optima so how is Stinger 2.0 going to be faster? You can't bend the laws of physics. Kia is not above cheating in the specs.

Somebody should do an Optima GT vs. Stinger 2.0 drag race and settle it once and for all.

This post has been edited by kluseng: Jul 12 2018, 03:39 PM
TSkluseng
post May 14 2019, 01:47 PM

37 posts

Because Malaysian drivers are not willing to pay for more powerful engines. They rather buy underpowered cars with small engines as long as the body looks the same. 2.0L D-segments sell better than 2.4L/2.5L which should be the appropriate engine size. All show but no substance.
TSkluseng
post May 15 2019, 09:20 AM

37 posts

The Kia Stinger will also bungkus after one batch. I can't see it surviving being sold at this price.

TSkluseng
post Jun 18 2019, 09:11 AM

37 posts

With Camry at RM200K Optima GT now looks sellable if they don't increase the current price.

2 Pages  1 2 >Top

Switch to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.1445sec    2.40    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 22nd August 2019 - 11:51 PM