Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Outline · [ Standard ] · Linear+

The New Kia Optima GT 2017 thread, Strictly for discussion about the car

views

KennyKB
post Jul 8 2017, 09:55 AM

Regular
1,762 posts

If you disregard the brand perception the Optima is value for money but will it attract the uncles who usually go for Camrys, Teenas and Accords? I think a bit tough as they may be past the age group where power and performance can overcome brand perception.

The Optima GT will appeal to the younger set who are enamoured with its power but its price isn't friendly to them. I perceive a mismatch between the target market and the price.

At Rm145K the Optima K5 sold reasonably well but I don't expect its success to be repeated with the Optima GT unless Naza can bring down the price substantially.
KennyKB
post Jul 8 2017, 10:09 PM

Regular
1,762 posts

For RM175K OTR w/o insurance it should be loaded to the gills but Naza has stripped out:

Autonomous braking
Adaptive cruise control
Lane departure warning
Lane keeping assist
Blind spot detection
Rear cross traffic alert
Infinity or Harmon Kardon 10 speaker system

But they have retained the useless front and rear seat heaters. Wonder why??

This post has been edited by KennyKB: Jul 8 2017, 10:10 PM
KennyKB
post Jul 9 2017, 06:24 PM

Regular
1,762 posts

At the price level that Optima GT is asking owners want some prestige to go with the car. Unfortunately the Optima doesn't have much by way of prestige or status compared to a Jap D-segment or a Conti car. That is is main drawback to potential buyers, not its price.

KennyKB
post Jul 10 2017, 11:23 AM

Regular
1,762 posts

QUOTE(dstl1128 @ Jul 10 2017, 08:57 AM)
Given the reputation of Kia/Hyundai SC, they aren't any better than VW SC. As for reliability, Conti is shit and I would assumed people going for Conti has no issue about that. For now Korean reliability will be "look-and-see" mode. People that prefer trouble-free options will just end up with Accord or Camry Hybrid. And people that dare, given the choice of Passat 2.0 & OptimaGT ... good luck.

Kia SC shouldn't be lumped together with Hyundai SC. As an ex-Kia owner there are some good Kia SCs and Naza isn't fussy when it comes to warranty claims. Kia has also more SCs than VW so your chance of finding a good SC is better.

KennyKB
post Jul 10 2017, 12:34 PM

Regular
1,762 posts

It's one thing to give up warranty on a reliable Japanese car but you would be unwise to do that on a Continental car no matter what the price range.

KennyKB
post Jan 23 2018, 08:15 PM

Regular
1,762 posts

RV usually depends on reliability, maintenance cost, spare parts availability and fuel economy. Those who buy second hand cars typically have to be mindful of the above. Brand perception helps but a car which satisfies all the above criteria will have good RV irrespective of brand.

Technology may help to sell a brand new car but it won't help to get good RV if it doesn't satisfy those 4 criteria. What is uppermost in the mind of the used car buyer is not the toys but the maintenance cost.

I expect the gap in RV between Korean and Jap cars to narrow as K-cars get better and better. As for Continental cars they will always have low RV because they cost a bomb to maintain after their warranty run out. No technological toys is going to help.

This post has been edited by KennyKB: Jan 23 2018, 08:25 PM
KennyKB
post Jun 26 2018, 04:08 PM

Regular
1,762 posts

QUOTE(ZeneticX @ Jun 26 2018, 10:31 AM)
Naza is launching Picanto GT soon (within this week or next week from rumours) and it comes with AEB. No reason for them to not include it in their D segment sedan
Naza will probably bring in the underpowered Picanto.
KennyKB
post Jul 23 2018, 08:29 AM

Regular
1,762 posts

QUOTE(wkc5657 @ Jul 22 2018, 12:38 AM)
I would like to, but can't afford it for the time being, nor have the need for it. It is just that i'm quite interested in korean car developments in our local car scene as korean cars are just massively understated, misunderstood, looked down upon.

ASAP has never been the forte of korean car brands here. The stinger is i guess one of the outliers for all these years for being rather early in the game.
ini macam lu kata....so car is CBU atau CKD?? Confused  rclxub.gif  rclxub.gif
Frankly, as an ex-Korean car owner of the pre-K5 Optima I will only buy another Korean car if it is considerably cheaper than an equivalent Jap car. If they are priced the same it's not worth it.

The negative perception of K-cars is real and the sad to say, the perception also rubs off on the owner as slightly cheapskate. The car is not as lasting as Jap cars. It was good for the first 5 years but gave many problems after that. FC was high compared to other D-segments. The hit from the poor RV was massive. My 10 year old Optima which cost RM100K new was worth less than a 10 year old Myvi costing RM40K new.

Things may be different now, I don't know but I doubt they are different enough to reverse my position.
KennyKB
post Jul 8 2019, 08:40 AM

Regular
1,762 posts

Since Naza guarantee to buy back from owners at 50% of the new price after 5 years I won't mind buying at about that price for a 5 year old Optima GT.

Change to:
| Lo-Fi Version
0.0672sec    0.43    7 queries    GZIP Disabled
Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:39 PM